. Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
UtilityMonster

Bronze

Re: In at Harvard

Post by UtilityMonster » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:41 pm

Anyone else in the South interested in meeting up pm me!

hdivine

New

Post by hdivine » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:01 pm

dcg2120 wrote:
hopeful16 wrote: I am in the same boat as you; there is one school I would potentially choose over Harvard.
You guys haven't heard back from Cooley yet, either?
+1

Them and Phoenix. Although Cooley is ranked second, so I think most reasonable people would take them over Phoenix.

JedBartlett

Bronze

Post by JedBartlett » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:30 am

Just had dinner with the other people from my UG who got in. If you guys haven't done that yet, you should try. Pretty cool. I didn't know 'em before this.

hopeful16

New

Post by hopeful16 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:23 am

JedBartlett wrote:Just had dinner with the other people from my UG who got in. If you guys haven't done that yet, you should try. Pretty cool. I didn't know 'em before this.
Awesome. I'm excited for the NYC meet-up today!

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Post by Mr. Elshal » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:23 am

For those who have already withdrawed their apps from other schools, how do you go about doing that? Is it just an email to their admissions office, or is there a form or button somewhere on the internet?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

questcertainty

New

Post by questcertainty » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:26 am

Mr. Elshal wrote:For those who have already withdrawed their apps from other schools, how do you go about doing that? Is it just an email to their admissions office, or is there a form or button somewhere on the internet?
NYU has a simple, one-click form in the ASW, but for the rest I just wrote a generic note to the main JD admissions email account. All responded pretty quickly confirming the withdrawal.

ETA: By 'quickly' I mean within a day or so.

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Post by Mr. Elshal » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:35 am

questcertainty wrote:
Mr. Elshal wrote:For those who have already withdrawed their apps from other schools, how do you go about doing that? Is it just an email to their admissions office, or is there a form or button somewhere on the internet?
NYU has a simple, one-click form in the ASW, but for the rest I just wrote a generic note to the main JD admissions email account. All responded pretty quickly confirming the withdrawal.

ETA: By 'quickly' I mean within a day or so.
Thanks a lot! I'm still keeping NYU and a couple of other schools in the running but for those that I just can't see myself going to, I'll withdraw today.

kingsfield69

Bronze

Post by kingsfield69 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:24 pm

I sent emails. Some took longer than others, but I had all of them back within a 3-4 working days. A few of them will ask you where you're attending. They want to know who bested them.

LaMuSayonga

Bronze

Post by LaMuSayonga » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:38 pm

Anyone from the DFW area want to have a meet-up? Surely there are some other Texans in the incoming class.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JedBartlett

Bronze

Post by JedBartlett » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:57 pm

kingsfield69 wrote:
I sent emails. Some took longer than others, but I had all of them back within a 3-4 working days. A few of them will ask you where you're attending. They want to know who bested them.
Same. Just type a quick, polite email!

spicyyoda17

Bronze

Post by spicyyoda17 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:31 pm

I would never post something like this in another thread - I think it would make people upset. But I think you guys would be able to help out.

I've been doing a lot of research from past threads on the whole HLS vs. SLS debate. I think I have a good grasp on the main arguments for both sides. To me, it seems like TLS sentiment is 50% "you can't go wrong either way," 30% "I would choose SLS, but you can't go wrong either way," and 20% "dude, it's freaking harvard - you don't say no!" I am psyched about Harvard - been wanting to go there for a long time. But I also recognize that it may not be the best choice for everybody and that there are objectives pros/cons to different schools. And I agree, you can't go wrong either way.

With that introduction in mind, what would you guys say are the top 2-3 objective differences that puts HLS on top of SLS? I think the biggest one is name factor/prestige. I'm not talking about the brag to your in-laws type prestige, but more so the employment flexibility prestige - the ease in which you can transfer your degree to business, government, etc. based on the name.To me, this one is obvious. So aside from the Harvard name, what do you think are the objective strengths of a legal education at Harvard compared to its peers?

Thanks in advance!

sabanist

Silver

Post by sabanist » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:41 pm

Honestly, I found the clinical options at Stanford in the areas I'm interested in to be lacking. I may not have looked hard enough, but they seemed pretty sparse compared to the sheer volume of options at HLS.
I didn't apply to Stanford FWIW.

yarsten

Bronze

Post by yarsten » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:50 pm

spicyyoda17 wrote:I would never post something like this in another thread - I think it would make people upset. But I think you guys would be able to help out.

I've been doing a lot of research from past threads on the whole HLS vs. SLS debate. I think I have a good grasp on the main arguments for both sides. To me, it seems like TLS sentiment is 50% "you can't go wrong either way," 30% "I would choose SLS, but you can't go wrong either way," and 20% "dude, it's freaking harvard - you don't say no!" I am psyched about Harvard - been wanting to go there for a long time. But I also recognize that it may not be the best choice for everybody and that there are objectives pros/cons to different schools. And I agree, you can't go wrong either way.

With that introduction in mind, what would you guys say are the top 2-3 objective differences that puts HLS on top of SLS? I think the biggest one is name factor/prestige. I'm not talking about the brag to your in-laws type prestige, but more so the employment flexibility prestige - the ease in which you can transfer your degree to business, government, etc. based on the name.To me, this one is obvious. So aside from the Harvard name, what do you think are the objective strengths of a legal education at Harvard compared to its peers?

Thanks in advance!
Other than what you mentioned, I think a lot of the benefits of Harvard come from it's huge class size. The Harvard alumni network is monstrous, so that will continue to be a plus. Also, the number of clinicals, clubs, classes, professors, everything is greater. From reading other posts, the class size doesn't seem to be a big drawback with the 80 person sections.

Keep in mind, this is coming from a 0L who hasn't even visited, but I have talked to current students/alumni. You have an awesome decision to make (hopefully I have the same predicament very soon).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JedBartlett

Bronze

Post by JedBartlett » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:56 pm

yarsten wrote:
spicyyoda17 wrote:I would never post something like this in another thread - I think it would make people upset. But I think you guys would be able to help out.

Thanks in advance!

Other than what you mentioned, I think a lot of the benefits of Harvard come from it's huge class size. The Harvard alumni network is monstrous, so that will continue to be a plus. Also, the number of clinicals, clubs, classes, professors, everything is greater. From reading other posts, the class size doesn't seem to be a big drawback with the 80 person sections.

Keep in mind, this is coming from a 0L who hasn't even visited, but I have talked to current students/alumni. You have an awesome decision to make (hopefully I have the same predicament very soon).
Basically my thoughts^

spicyyoda17

Bronze

Post by spicyyoda17 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:03 pm

You guys are awesome - thanks for the replies so far!

ScratchableItch

Bronze

Post by ScratchableItch » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:15 pm

I think the larger class size is a huge plus not only in terms of networking, but also in the opportunities it gives while in school. There are far more clinics, professors, and students that you can connect with. You get far more opportunities for affinity organizations, to meet future colleagues, etc. YLS and SLS might be more "selective," but in the end this has to be weighed against what a larger class size can offer.

Another advantage is that the entirety of Harvard University is strong. The Kennedy School, Business School, language departments, etc are all at the top of their fields and cross-registering/dual degrees are available for all law students. I don't think the same can quite be said for SLS and YLS, at least not to the same degree as Harvard.

dcg2120

Bronze

Post by dcg2120 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:34 pm

I haven't made the decision yet, either (and likely will not have the opportunity to), but I agree with what others are saying. Those alumni of both schools with whom I've spoken about H/S have said that it pretty much comes down to whether you prefer large or small(ish) schools. Obviously there are geographical considerations if you have a specific career path/location in mind.
ScratchableItch wrote:Another advantage is that the entirety of Harvard University is strong. The Kennedy School, Business School, language departments, etc are all at the top of their fields and cross-registering/dual degrees are available for all law students. I don't think the same can quite be said for SLS and YLS, at least not to the same degree as Harvard.
Also the Fletcher School at Tufts for people interested in government work, policy, or international law. Cross-registration is supposed to be just as easy as at Kennedy and there's even a joint degree program (JD/MA). That's probably a niche interest though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

UtilityMonster

Bronze

Post by UtilityMonster » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:29 pm

I think Harvard's degree is more portable, Harvard has better professors, historically it has been viewed as a better law school than Stanford (I suspect employers might tilt this way as well, old fashioned as they are), it has more opportunities for narrow areas of study, the university's name recognition is much better (both in this country and globally), I think it has better qualified students (Stanford makes a lot of admission decisions based on whether the applicant is from California so they can keep their yield rate high), and Harvard has a larger alum network.

Stanford has been getting better and better over the years, and it is possible although I think unlikely that it will one day be viewed as a better law school than Harvard, no questions asked. There may be some advantages to its low class size, such as more attention from professors, more collaboration with them and a more tightly nit community. It probably also has specialities in certain programs that are better than Harvard's, such as IP (this is only useful if you know what you plan to study). Stanford is definitely the more selective school, although almost no one knows this except top applicants. I bet Stanford is just a more enjoyable school to attend - more relaxed, better weather, better sense of community.

I would pick Harvard over Stanford unless Stanford unless I wanted to live in California or my wife got into Stanford/Berkeley for her grad program.

honeybadger12

Bronze

Post by honeybadger12 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:53 am

ScratchableItch wrote:Another advantage is that the entirety of Harvard University is strong. The Kennedy School, Business School, language departments, etc are all at the top of their fields and cross-registering/dual degrees are available for all law students. I don't think the same can quite be said for SLS and YLS, at least not to the same degree as Harvard.
For someone who doesn't have work experience, how many/which of the joint degrees would be options?

sayornis

New

Post by sayornis » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:27 pm

Deferred here. Excited to meet the class of 2016! In NYC if anyone is around :)

sabanist

Silver

Post by sabanist » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:29 pm

sayornis wrote:Deferred here. Excited to meet the class of 2016! In NYC if anyone is around :)
I'm nowhere near NYC, but based on your avatar, we're gonna be friends next year. 8)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pandamonium13

New

Post by pandamonium13 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:44 pm

sayornis wrote:Deferred here. Excited to meet the class of 2016! In NYC if anyone is around :)
Hey, if you go to the facebook group (http://www.facebook.com/groups/343072659125128/) there's already a thread for folks in the NYC area. In fact, a few of us met up last night :D

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:08 pm

Thanks in advance!
Harvard 1L here.

A few of the main advantages at Harvard for me include:

1) The very large faculty and the large amount of classes. Harvard has 106 tenured faculty professors who have all had very interesting and unique lives. One was a Partner in a V10 firm before coming here, another ran an office in the White House, and yet another worked with dying AIDS patients during the 1980s to get their legal affairs in order. Not only do you have almost any of these faculty members at your disposal at any given time, but they also teach classes in all of their areas of interest. I'm interested in a niche area of law. Stanford Law has 0 professors currently writing in any area directly related to my interests. Meanwhile, Harvard has 4. There's no way that I would've had a satisfactory academic experience at Stanford over Harvard. This also manifests itself in the amount of clinics that are offered at Harvard in comparison to Stanford.

2) Harvard has a much better network and much better name recognition on the East Coast. This is especially pertinent if you want to work in government or policy areas.

One nice little advantage:
3) Like it or not, Harvard does have a bit more prestige among those in power in the legal profession, mostly among those who are older (the younger generation of lawyers don't have the HY, then S distinction). I think Harvard is able to get much more top notch visiting faculty as a result. For example, this Winter Term there are 2 Fed. Court of Appeals judges teaching at Harvard. Kagan taught here in the fall.

The one big downside of Harvard is that the large class size can create some feelings of internal and external competition among students (although it doesn't have to). At the end of the day, if you want something especially prestigious, you're going to be fighting for grades and resources a bit more at Harvard than you will be Stanford. To stay above the fray, you should be very mature and have a strong sense of self-identity when you enter Harvard. If you're someone who easily gives into peer pressure and can get caught up in the prevailing norms and whims of those around you, Harvard can be stressful. That being said, if you know what you want out of law school and you know what you need to do it, then you'll have an awesome time.

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:37 pm

Doorkeeper wrote: At the end of the day, if you want something especially prestigious, you're going to be fighting for grades and resources a bit more at Harvard than you will be Stanford. To stay above the fray, you should be very mature and have a strong sense of self-identity when you enter Harvard. If you're someone who easily gives into peer pressure and can get caught up in the prevailing norms and whims of those around you, Harvard can be stressful. That being said, if you know what you want out of law school and you know what you need to do it, then you'll have an awesome time.
Can you expand on what you mean by this?

hopeful16

New

Post by hopeful16 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:38 pm

pandamonium13 wrote:
Hey, if you go to the facebook group (http://www.facebook.com/groups/343072659125128/) there's already a thread for folks in the NYC area. In fact, a few of us met up last night :D
And it was lots of fun! We are going to have a couple more meet-ups in the next few weeks - hope to see you there!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”