. Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sabanist

Silver

Re: In at Harvard

Post by sabanist » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:34 pm

This is probably (definitely) dumb to ask about, but having spent my entire life in the southeast, I have no idea what to expect in terms of new england winters. I've seen snow fewer than ten times in my life, to give you some idea.

Do any of you dern yankees have any advice on what I should get (especially coats, rain/snow jackets, socks, etc)? I have Bean boots, but I feel like that's the only useful thing among all of my light hoodies and uninsulated coats. Links (and as little cost as possible because I'm a poor) would be greatly appreciated :)

domino

Bronze

Post by domino » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:11 pm

sabanist wrote:This is probably (definitely) dumb to ask about, but having spent my entire life in the southeast, I have no idea what to expect in terms of new england winters. I've seen snow fewer than ten times in my life, to give you some idea.

Do any of you dern yankees have any advice on what I should get (especially coats, rain/snow jackets, socks, etc)? I have Bean boots, but I feel like that's the only useful thing among all of my light hoodies and uninsulated coats. Links (and as little cost as possible because I'm a poor) would be greatly appreciated :)
never really figured this out, though i went to ug in western mass; however! i have found some things that worked here and there. for instance layers can be even better than a good coat. long underwear might be (sigh okay, is) dorky but it really works. plus the same sweaters/outer layers you can take off inside that you already have, just more of them at once than in warmer climes. a good pair of hunter galoshes worked in the snow for me with just thick socks (or two pairs on top of each other) when it got cold, so it sounds like you are all set w/your boots.

also i started out being all like, i don't want to wear a raincoat! i will carry this cute umbrella and only the couple of books i need! but by the end i had broken down and wore this big raincoat with layers under it and a backpack all the time, made life much easier.

ETA: Merry Christmas!!!! So excited for claw school!

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Post by Mr. Elshal » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:57 pm

sabanist wrote:This is probably (definitely) dumb to ask about, but having spent my entire life in the southeast, I have no idea what to expect in terms of new england winters. I've seen snow fewer than ten times in my life, to give you some idea.

I'm in a hurry, so I don't have any links to port, but I'm from New York and I find that layers are generally the best option because, as cold as it is outside, it's usually warmer wherever you're going. At least if I wear layers I can adjust throughout the day. Just my 2 cents

canarykb

Bronze

Post by canarykb » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:42 pm

Oh hey guys, in and most likely attending!

Also - just buy a warm coat, hat & gloves. Lived in Minnesota for four years; we'll all be fine.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:04 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dcg2120

Bronze

Post by dcg2120 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:52 am

What fun! Snow is the best. You'll love it. And definitely not dumb to ask about--if I was going down South I would have no clue how to deal with it. Here is my much-too-long opinion. This is my opinion coming from rural Maine, where we have to trudge through more snow than perhaps people in Cambridge do, but maybe it'll be a good approach for someone used to warmer weather (TL;DR: waterproof outer layer, a few warm long-sleeved shirts, waterproof boots and long underwear/lined pants will get you through the worst of it).

I'll second the above posters' advice on wearing layers. I would add that it's usually best to find a jacket with a waterproof "shell" and some kind of lining. Warm jackets are significantly less so when you get wet, and Boston can sometimes produce some mixed rain/snow precipitation that is pretty icky without a waterproof layer. L.L.Bean's "warm-up jacket" has a nice waterproof outside and a fleece lining--keeps you warm when it's zipped up, but it's not too bulky.

Usually I wear a nice, thick shirt between a t-shirt and that outer layer. I would recommend something like Bean's flannel-lined corduroy shirt (LinkRemoved) or Cabela's flannel-lined "stonewash" canvas shirt (LinkRemoved). The advantage to the latter is that it would give you more protection against the wind. If you want a really nice shirt to wear instead of a jacket you could spring for Bean's water-resistant, fleece-lined canvas shirt, but that's probably not necessary. 90% of the time that I spend outdoors I can get by with an undershirt, a long-sleeve shirt, and the jacket I linked to above; as a bonus, I can tuck in the shirt and look almost decent if I need to go to nice restaurant or something.

That said, you might find it worthwhile to have a heavy coat for extra-cold days or for making snow angels. Again, if you're only buying one coat I would go for something waterproof and heavy. I have something like Bean's Rugged Ridge Parka, but that might be overkill.

Re: long underwear, I've never been fond of it myself but my parents swear by it. I keep a pair of lined pants instead (something like this). Disadvantage is that you have to wear a specific pair of pants if you want the extra warmth, advantage is that you don't have to wear long underwear to be warm.

Also recommended: waterproof, but comfortable, boots. I have a pair of Bean's Trail Model Walker. Not a cheap pair of boots, but I can wear them year-round as walking shoes and they last a while. A hat if you're a hat person, and some warm socks (I wear Wigwam).

Sorry if this sounds like an L.L.Bean commercial. I'm from Maine, so I might be biased, but they have really good stuff. It's not the cheapest, but they will last forever. Furthermore, they guarantee their clothing for life, so if anything you buy gets beat up you can get it fixed or replaced for free (or give you a gift certificate for original value). Not a gimmick, either--my father bought a backpack from them before I was born and hasn't paid for a new one since. New, the whole ensemble might be a little pricey, but they have a few outlet stores where you can get some nice discounts.

kingsfield69

Bronze

Post by kingsfield69 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:34 am

ns2675 wrote:
ksbRambo wrote:Checking in. JS2 on 12/21. Excited to be able to post here. Married, no kids. Any other military veterans here?
I'm another military veteran (USMC enlisted). Also married with no kids. I'm pretty sure there's at least one more veteran in here too. Also, merry Christmas to everyone!
Another veteran (USAF officer) ... also married, w/ 2 kids. Congrats!

2013hopeful:D

Bronze

Post by 2013hopeful:D » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:18 am

dcg2120 wrote:
sabanist wrote: Sorry if this sounds like an L.L.Bean commercial.
Do you all think we need to buy this sort of stuff before coming to Cambridge or could we buy it as winter approaches next year?

dcg2120

Bronze

Post by dcg2120 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:43 am

2013hopeful:D wrote:Do you all think we need to buy this sort of stuff before coming to Cambridge or could we buy it as winter approaches next year?
I would wait til you get here and get a feel for the weather. Plus, you might get better deals by checking out Boston second-hand shops (I'm guessing--I don't go shopping in the city much) and New Hampshire outlet stores (no sales tax!)--there's a pretty good bus line that goes through Concord and Manchester for the carless.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:31 am

kingsfield69 wrote:
ns2675 wrote:
ksbRambo wrote:Checking in. JS2 on 12/21. Excited to be able to post here. Married, no kids. Any other military veterans here?
I'm another military veteran (USMC enlisted). Also married with no kids. I'm pretty sure there's at least one more veteran in here too. Also, merry Christmas to everyone!
Another veteran (USAF officer) ... also married, w/ 2 kids. Congrats!
We have a ton of veterans on campus, I have been pleasantly surprised with the support that the administration gives us.

sabanist

Silver

Post by sabanist » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:45 pm

Thank y'all so much for the help! I really appreciate the advice and links.
dcg2120 wrote:Sorry if this sounds like an L.L.Bean commercial.
My family are huge fans too, so I was actually hoping for Bean recommendations :lol:
Their customer service really makes the premium worth it for me.

BalanceCare

Bronze

Post by BalanceCare » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:27 pm

Lifelong Northeasterner and sometimes through-the-winter cyclist here: I highly recommend any article of clothing made of light-grade merino wool. It's very light, it keeps you warm, and it wicks away sweat, which is essential when you have to layer up for the outdoors and then head into an over-heated building afterwards.

"Smartwool" is a reliable brand but expensive at list price. Poke around online for deals. LL Bean makes some nice Merino stuff if you can find it on sale. Really, there are too many manufacturers to name, but as long as it's made of merino wool and it has good reviews, you'll probably be happy with it.

Enjoy!!!

edgeofthenight

Bronze

Post by edgeofthenight » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:07 pm

Last edited by edgeofthenight on Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kingsfield69

Bronze

Post by kingsfield69 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:40 am

Seat deposit mailed. Withdrawals emails sent. Cambridge or bust!

JedBartlett

Bronze

Post by JedBartlett » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:23 am

kingsfield69 wrote:Seat deposit mailed. Withdrawals emails sent. Cambridge or bust!
Same here, Kingsfield. Congrats!!!

StormyDay

New

Post by StormyDay » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:54 pm

edgeofthenight wrote:I grew up in New England, spent the past four years in upstate NY. dcg2120's post is fantastic, so I only have some very small things to add:
1. I wear thicker leggings under my jeans instead of long underwear. If you have those lying around already, you can save money :)
2. Above all else, make sure your boots have really really good traction. You can always double up on socks to keep warm, and you don't want to be sliding around.
3. I completely agree that a waterproof coat is a necessity, but you can get a nicer wool coat (for formal things and such) decently cheap if you scope out sales. I have a Calvin Klein peacoat that I adore and got for around $150 five or six years ago. They hold up well!
4. If you want to save money, wait until you get up here and see how you react to the cold - I bought my hardcore winter coat before college and I've only worn it a few times.
+1 on leggings and boots with good traction. I went to UG in Wisconsin and I never wore winter boots, only waterproof hiking boots with good traction. SmartWool is a great brand for socks and shirts, although it is expensive.

For those of you on a budget you can get great deals at http://www.sierratradingpost.com/. The great deals come and go, so check back every now and then. Also, if you sign up for their e-mails they'll send you extra discounts.

sabanist

Silver

Post by sabanist » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:43 pm

I have plenty of leggings, so not having to buy new stuff is a relief.
Thank y'all SO much. I'm now slightly less scared of the cold. :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JedBartlett

Bronze

Post by JedBartlett » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:02 am

I just watched Legally Blonde with my ex-gf. Surprisingly good.

Edit: Elle Woods will be my role model as I tackle Harvard. :oops: Don't judge.

Edit to my edit. Elle Woods AND Jed Bartlett*

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:08 am

JedBartlett wrote:I just watched Legally Blonde with my ex-gf. Surprisingly good.

At the beginning of the year they totally showed Legally Blonde as one of our orientation events.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:23 am

thelawschoolproject wrote:
JedBartlett wrote:I just watched Legally Blonde with my ex-gf. Surprisingly good.

At the beginning of the year they totally showed Legally Blonde as one of our orientation events.
I remember, cause I took notes on the movie just in case.

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:25 pm

delusional wrote: I remember, cause I took notes on the movie just in case.

:)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:53 pm

I'm so sick of the rampant Legally Blonde trolling at HLS.

By all means, change your facebook cover page to Elle Woods. I'm totally not judging you.

Grrrrrr.

JedBartlett

Bronze

Post by JedBartlett » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:46 pm

I also read "One L" (corny Christmas gift from an uncle). Can any of you current HLS students attest to how true/untrue it is?

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:16 pm

JedBartlett wrote:I also read "One L" (corny Christmas gift from an uncle). Can any of you current HLS students attest to how true/untrue it is?
not really true. 1L can be a ton of work but it really depends on how much work you want to put into it. as a counterpoint to 1L try to get a hold of "Brush with the law". (although I think orgies/drugs are far less prevalent than portrayed in that book).

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:15 pm

JedBartlett wrote:I also read "One L" (corny Christmas gift from an uncle). Can any of you current HLS students attest to how true/untrue it is?
That book chronicles the author's time at HLS during the 70s. Any HLS grad will tell you the school is completely different now. IMO competition is far less than it was then. Many people in my section just want to stay away from LPs and they're good. I haven't met one person gunning for the decorative DS grade, either. I get the feeling that my section is more laid back than most in that respect, though. Also, most people have interviews for summer work already and people seem generally happy.

In response to your question, I have no idea how true the book is as I know nothing about the author's life. As to how well it depicts life at HLS in 2012/13? IMO, it isn't an accurate depiction insofar as grades/competition are concerned.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”