University of Colorado c/o 2016 (2012-2013 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wannabelawstudent

Gold

Re: University of Colorado c/o 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Post by wannabelawstudent » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:44 pm

md22 wrote:Hey all, I'm UR since 1/4 and am also planning on sending in a LOCI. Is email sufficient or is a hard copy preferred?
attach the LOCI as a pdf

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:50 pm

md22 wrote:Hey all, I'm UR since 1/4 and am also planning on sending in a LOCI. Is email sufficient or is a hard copy preferred?
Hard copy is much more professional.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:53 pm

I really don't see how a hard copy will show more merit than a word/PDF file attached to an email

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:55 pm

JXander wrote:
What is more professional about it?
It's the digital age. Just like sending your résumé as an attachment. All that happens is that an admin opens the file, prints it and puts it in your file or gives it to the adcom.

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:10 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
JXander wrote:
It's the digital age. Just like sending your résumé as an attachment. All that happens is that an admin opens the file, prints it and puts it in your file or gives it to the adcom.
My opinion:
1. Shows you put more time into actually "preparing" a letter. You have proofread, printed, folded, and paid to send the office something you want them to consider taking the time to read. To me, it appears that sending an email is almost too expedient. I could be wrong in some cases; after all, most offices prefer electronic applications.
2. I think the résumé example is interesting, because in all the cases someone has asked me for a résumé (especially an updated one), they have always asked for a hard copy. There is a reason why they sell résumé paper. There is a certain professional aura that comes with submitting a hard copy of such a document. Thinking of it in this way, perhaps consider an LOCI to be more like a cover letter (which also has a special type of paper).

This is just what I think. I don't think your getting admitted is going to turn on whether you send your LOCI via email or hard-copy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:13 pm

JXander wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
JXander wrote:
My opinion:
1. Shows you put more time into actually "preparing" a letter. You have proofread, printed, folded, and paid to send the office something you want them to consider taking the time to read. To me, it appears that sending an email is almost too expedient. I could be wrong in some cases; after all, most offices prefer electronic applications.
2. I think the résumé example is interesting, because in all the cases someone has asked me for a résumé (especially an updated one), they have always asked for a hard copy. There is a reason why they sell résumé paper. There is a certain professional aura that comes with submitting a hard copy of such a document. Thinking of it in this way, perhaps consider an LOCI to be more like a cover letter (which also has a special type of paper).

This is just what I think. I don't think your getting admitted is going to turn on whether you send your LOCI via email or hard-copy.
It's not gonna matter one bit if its electronically or actually mailed in. Considering that the law school has conducted all communication via the internet, I don't think there's any difference in their minds.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:14 pm

I've had literally the exact opposite experience and always had attorneys ask me to just email them my resume fwiw.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:17 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:
JXander wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
JXander wrote: Hard copy is much more professional.
My opinion:

It's not gonna matter one bit if its electronically or actually mailed in. Considering that the law school has conducted all communication via the internet, I don't think there's any difference in their minds.
+1
It's not going to make or break anything. Adcoms who have been reading materials since sept-oct of last year are not going to care either way. They will read it and move on.

EDIT: plus dont forget we are talking about Colorado. Similarly to Seattle (where i live) people are very much aware of energy and consumption waste. Why waste extra footprint on something that can be done in a more efficient and with less damage to the environment (I guess living in seattle for 5 years does something to a person...)
Last edited by JayJones78 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:29 pm

LeDique wrote:I've had literally the exact opposite experience and always had attorneys ask me to just email them my resume fwiw.
Right, because if the question is "what is more professional," then "hard-copy" is typically the correct response. But if the question is "which is going to make the admissions committee view me more favorably," then I don't think it matters. I got the impression that the md22 merely wanted our own personal take as applicants.

Don't stress about which route to take, md22. Write a good LOCI and either way you will be fine. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:03 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
JXander wrote:
kase5771 wrote:I have been UR since 12/26... would most people on here recommend sending a LOCI?
Oh, definitely. Especially if you plan on mailing in a hard copy. The deposit deadlines are coming up rather quickly.
Wondering if to send them a LOCI
WL two weeks ago
Confuz. Thought you had money at your first choice? Are you wanting the satisfaction of getting in, or are you really considering CU?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:07 pm

Looks like 73 and sunny for the open house on Friday. Any TLSers attending?

If you are on the fence, I highly recommend the visit. The front range is a scenic, fantastic place to live.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:12 pm

If any of y'all are here this weekend, feel free to PM me. I've got a couple of conferences this weekend but I am willing to grab a beer/give you answers the people admissions allows to meet with you won't. Or just tell you where you should go Friday night.

cslouisck

Bronze

Post by cslouisck » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:33 pm

And if you come out, you should absolutely visit Denver, too (and Great Divide Brewery in particular). There's a good-natured rivalry between the two cities, but the Colorado trifecta is really Denver/Boulder/Mountains. And sometimes Ft. Collins, if you're into that kind of thing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:26 pm

cslouisck wrote:And if you come out, you should absolutely visit Denver, too (and Great Divide Brewery in particular). There's a good-natured rivalry between the two cities, but the Colorado trifecta is really Denver/Boulder/Mountains. And sometimes Ft. Collins, if you're into that kind of thing.
Yeah spend an extra day in Denver. Great advice.

CS are you coming Friday? You should negotiate that $$$ into a full-ride.

steph7691

New

Post by steph7691 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:09 pm

Waitlisted on 3/01/13

GPA: 3.64 UGPA:3.5 LSAT:149
URM

I am a philosophy major (3.85 gpa in major), was a TA, research assistant, on the student conduct board, and have worked at two law firms. Unfortunetly, when studying for the LSAT I was also dealing with some medical issues. I have included an LSAT score addendum with my admissions application. Does anyone think I have a chance of getting in? Any advice?

I've also appled to Denver but have not heard back from them yet.

md22

Bronze

Post by md22 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:40 pm

Thanks for all the replies to my question regarding the LOCI. Also, I'm hoping that I might hear back once the application deadline passes tomorrow (3/15)...

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:35 pm

Surprised CU doesn't push back the deadline to mid-summer like everybody else.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:52 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

md22

Bronze

Post by md22 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:04 pm

nickb285 wrote:
steph7691 wrote:Waitlisted on 3/01/13

URM

I am a philosophy major (3.85 gpa in major), was a TA, research assistant, on the student conduct board, and have worked at two law firms. Unfortunetly, when studying for the LSAT I was also dealing with some medical issues. I have included an LSAT score addendum with my admissions application. Does anyone think I have a chance of getting in? Any advice?

Please, retake. An addendum won't mean much, because adcomms are just going to wonder why you didn't take it again--they'll assume you're either impatient or lazy. With a 3.5 and URM you can get into some amazing schools if you bust ass on the LSAT. For reference, here's what you're looking at now (not a ton of data, but you get the idea): http://www.mylsn.info/r5fnz4 . You might get a few hail mary acceptances, but by and large you're out anywhere in the T50, and hit and miss even below that--and you'll likely pay full price anywhere you get in. Now, if you retake to the mid-160s you're looking at this: http://www.mylsn.info/x23byl . Gives you a shot at everything below HYS.

Don't cripple yourself by going somewhere that'll take a 149. Study, retake, profit.

+1,000. Please retake that. That is such a waste of a 3.6.

kdog1147

New

Post by kdog1147 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:52 pm

md22 wrote:
nickb285 wrote:

URM

Please, retake. An addendum won't mean much, because adcomms are just going to wonder why you didn't take it again--they'll assume you're either impatient or lazy. With a 3.5 and URM you can get into some amazing schools if you bust ass on the LSAT. For reference, here's what you're looking at now (not a ton of data, but you get the idea): http://www.mylsn.info/r5fnz4 . You might get a few hail mary acceptances, but by and large you're out anywhere in the T50, and hit and miss even below that--and you'll likely pay full price anywhere you get in. Now, if you retake to the mid-160s you're looking at this: http://www.mylsn.info/x23byl . Gives you a shot at everything below HYS.

Don't cripple yourself by going somewhere that'll take a 149. Study, retake, profit.

Dear god retake. It could literally save you hundreds of thousands of dollars

tch562

New

Post by tch562 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:19 pm

Hello ALL. Withdrew all other apps, sent in my confirmation form and seat deposit. Can't wait to meet everone! :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:23 pm

tch562 wrote:Hello ALL. Withdrew all other apps, sent in my confirmation form and seat deposit. Can't wait to meet everone! :D
Very nice!! Just checked out your LSN and wondering what made you commit (semi) early and not pay a deposit and ride your (very good) WLs?

tch562

New

Post by tch562 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:29 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
tch562 wrote:Hello ALL. Withdrew all other apps, sent in my confirmation form and seat deposit. Can't wait to meet everone! :D
Very nice!! Just checked out your LSN and wondering what made you commit (semi) early and not pay a deposit and ride your (very good) WLs?
Honestly, I just took a look at what I wanted to do after law school. The Colorado community was very persuasive and inviting. I had a chance to speak with professors, students, alumni, and even Dean Weiser himself. I thought to myself, "where could I be happy?" and realized the answer was Colorado.

Add to that my numbers aren't stellar, most of those waitlists would have (most likely) ended in rejection.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:35 pm

tch562 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
Honestly, I just took a look at what I wanted to do after law school. The Colorado community was very persuasive and inviting. I had a chance to speak with professors, students, alumni, and even Dean Weiser himself. I thought to myself, "where could I be happy?" and realized the answer was Colorado.

Add to that my numbers aren't stellar, most of those waitlists would have (most likely) ended in rejection.
Interesting. I would prob pay the deposit and just ride the WL for the off chance something will happen. But I get your point. I'm WL and want to write a LOCI. Just a little afraid of the limited spectrum of the degree.

islandrose0913

New

Post by islandrose0913 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:33 pm

kdog1147 wrote:
md22 wrote:
nickb285 wrote:

URM

Dear god retake. It could literally save you hundreds of thousands of dollars
Speaking as proof of what everyone else is saying: 3.63/165/URM and I got full tuition for the first year at Boulder, plus $12k/yr on top of in state for the next two years. No stips. I'm not sure what kind of URM you are, but I am MA/PR. Restudy for the LSAT and make it count!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”