University of Richmond c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lawschool4

New

Re: University of Richmond c/o 2016

Post by lawschool4 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:05 pm

pro se wrote:Finally posting since I thought it might give others still waiting a glimmer of hope. Got in last Thursday off the regular wait list. No money likely though, just an offer. I'm a non-traditional splitter- went to UR undergrad and had some good softs. I live in Richmond now and plan on attending- so if you have any general questions about the area PM me. Best of luck to those still waiting and looking forward to meeting the rest of the class.

Does Richmond have a metro station or any other sort of transportation services? Also, any recommendations on housing? Since you're from the area, you may have more knowledge on the best places to live

tony2167

Bronze

Post by tony2167 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:37 pm

I also already live in Richmond. The city has a bus system but no metro or rail system of any kind. I exclusively bike to get around though, so I can't comment on the reliability of the buses. As far as places to live, stay away from anything with "court" in the name, those are the housing projects. Anything within a few mile radius of U of R's campus is going to be fairly nice, but if you're looking for an even somewhat lively neighborhood I recommend looking in the Museum District and the Fan. Either one will put you about 4-6 miles from campus in great neighborhoods full of restaurants, bars, art galleries, etc (which are things you aren't going to find near campus at all). Areas across the river (Southside) can be decent, and are certainly cheap, but it's an area you definitely want to visit in person before deciding to live there. The transition from nice community to abject ghetto is pretty sharp over there. Where you should live in Richmond really depends on what you want. If you want a neighborhood-y feel with lots to see and do, go for the Fan, Museum District, or Carytown. If you want a quiet place where you don't mind having to drive a few miles to see or do anything, you'd be fine in the neighborhoods immediately surrounding U of R. If anyone is interested in the names of some property management companies in the aforementioned areas feel free to PM me.

pro se

New

Post by pro se » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:11 pm

Unfortunately most everybody in Richmond drives. Richmond is doable without a car, but imho just barely. There is a public bus service (free with student ID I think) http://www.ridegrtc.com/ and it recently started coming to campus, but it only serves a limited area without connecting to another bus (which tends to be a pain). Fortunately the area its serves has some of the best housing options. The route 16 bus runs from campus east down Grove ave.

Anywhere within a couple of blocks of Grove is nice and very safe, but pricey and a little hard to find rentals. As you get further from campus toward "museum district" and "the fan" there are a lot more options and while it’s not quite as safe as you move farther east, it’s still safe enough and there is more to do: walkable grocery stores, restaurants, bars, coffee shops, parks etc. "The museum district" is about 10 minutes bus ride from campus and a little more residential while the fan is just about 12 min. and a little more happening.

Those two areas are where I would look to take advantage of the bus, but keep in mind buses don't always run on time and stop running some routes in the middle of the day and at night. UR has a shuttle that supplements the city buses but it also doesn't run 24-7. Think the last run is 1030ish. There are lots of other areas with a more suburban feel and more typical apartment complexes, but if you want to live in Richmond and not just sprawl (see short pump) consider these two areas. Sorry to say it but you will likely need a car to survive UR, but with a little patience and planning you could minimize car trips.

The city itself is generally bike friendly and becoming more so, but the area immediately around campus is hard to navigate and honestly a little dangerous for bikes (dark & hilly). The buses do have bike racks so maybe that combination would help. Hope this helps.

1Mwaiting2016

New

Post by 1Mwaiting2016 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:31 am

Wait list update:
Just spoke with Dean Rahman and she said that I should hear something by mid-June or the date of the second deposit. I don't know if others will hear before that, but that's the time frame for me... :cry:

People that are already in- when exactly is the second deposit deadline?

gator32

New

Post by gator32 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:43 am

1Mwaiting2016 wrote:Wait list update:
Just spoke with Dean Rahman and she said that I should hear something by mid-June or the date of the second deposit. I don't know if others will hear before that, but that's the time frame for me... :cry:

I think it was like June 16 or something along those lines, would be more than happy to check after work.

Sorry you'll have to wait that long, that sucks. I do know someone who got in off the WL in August before, so not all hope is lost!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

harris4

New

Post by harris4 » Wed May 01, 2013 1:30 pm

Dean Rahman emailed me today and said I should know "shortly." Don't know how long that is supposed to be, but sounds positive.

MR2013

New

Post by MR2013 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:34 pm

Update: I am officially off of the priority wait list. My GPA is above the 75 percentile but my LSAT is below the 25 percentile. I am not a URM, but I do have an interesting life story. I had strong recommendations from the Dean of Students and President of my college. In addition, I wrote an addendum explaining my low LSAT score, and I was highly involved in my campus community during undergrad. Message me if you want specific information.

Advice: Keep in contact with them, and make sure they know that U of R is your first choice!

gator32

New

Post by gator32 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:44 pm

Just checked and it is the 14th of June.

1Mwaiting2016

New

Post by 1Mwaiting2016 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:34 pm

gator32 wrote:

Just checked and it is the 14th of June.
Thank you!!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gator32

New

Post by gator32 » Mon May 13, 2013 7:44 pm

Anyone have any movement on the waitlist? Also, did anybody else get an increase in scholarship - I'm very pleased!

Carter N

New

Post by Carter N » Mon May 13, 2013 8:22 pm

gator32 wrote: Also, did anybody else get an increase in scholarship - I'm very pleased!
Yes, went from 12k to 20k.

gator32

New

Post by gator32 » Mon May 13, 2013 10:02 pm

Carter N wrote:
gator32 wrote: Also, did anybody else get an increase in scholarship - I'm very pleased!
Yes, went from 12k to 20k.

Hey congrats! I was very pleased to have an increase after being admitted off the waitlist. also surprised to say the least.

lawschool4

New

Post by lawschool4 » Mon May 13, 2013 10:10 pm

Does anybody have any advice for current waitlisters? I'm currently on the priority wait list and I really want to attend Richmond. I have been sending them numerous amounts of LOCI and have made sure they know how interested I am. I want to call Dean Rahman but I don't know if that would be too much and I don't even know what to say at this point because I've said everything I could in my emails...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Carter N

New

Post by Carter N » Mon May 13, 2013 10:30 pm

lawschool4 wrote:I want to call Dean Rahman but I don't know if that would be too much and I don't even know what to say at this point because I've said everything I could in my emails...
A phone call definitely wouldn't hurt. Richmond is a very personal school. The phone call would go a lot further than an email, IMO.

gator32

New

Post by gator32 » Mon May 13, 2013 10:35 pm

lawschool4 wrote:Does anybody have any advice for current waitlisters? I'm currently on the priority wait list and I really want to attend Richmond. I have been sending them numerous amounts of LOCI and have made sure they know how interested I am. I want to call Dean Rahman but I don't know if that would be too much and I don't even know what to say at this point because I've said everything I could in my emails...
Maybe you could call and ask what the status of the priority wait list is and if there is anything further you can do to help your situation. It's nothing pushy and helps get across that you want to attend.

1Mwaiting2016

New

Post by 1Mwaiting2016 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:24 am

lawschool4 wrote:Does anybody have any advice for current waitlisters? I'm currently on the priority wait list and I really want to attend Richmond. I have been sending them numerous amounts of LOCI and have made sure they know how interested I am. I want to call Dean Rahman but I don't know if that would be too much and I don't even know what to say at this point because I've said everything I could in my emails...
You should call. I called Dean Rahman 2 weeks ago and she said I won't hear anything until June 14. She's very straight forward and will give you a honest answer.

Carter N

New

Post by Carter N » Sun May 19, 2013 8:13 pm

I'd like to start the Class of 2016 "Bar Review". In this group we will review every bar in Richmond before 2016.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

1Mwaiting2016

New

Post by 1Mwaiting2016 » Sun May 19, 2013 9:53 pm

Does Richmond already have one? Most law schools have a weekly bar review at a local bar put on by SBA.

gator32

New

Post by gator32 » Mon May 20, 2013 6:57 pm

Carter N wrote:I'd like to start the Class of 2016 "Bar Review". In this group we will review every bar in Richmond before 2016.
That sounds like a plan if I've ever heard one!

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Tue May 21, 2013 1:00 am

Has anyone had any luck with scholarships by applying as an 'independant'? I did and they still didn't give me anything. I wasn't sure if this was normal.

MR2013

New

Post by MR2013 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:17 pm

Has anyone off of the wait list received scholarship money?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cathyzloo

New

Post by cathyzloo » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:19 am

MR2013 wrote:Has anyone off of the wait list received scholarship money?
Hey there, I didn't get in from the waitlist, but I did apply/get accepted late. Applied early April, accepted 2 weeks later.

At the time of acceptance (about mid-April), Rahman told me there probably wouldn't be any scholarship money available. (My GPA is also on the lower end, and it is merit based so that made sense.) Then another 2 weeks later, in early May, she called me again and said I got 10K/year. I think average amount for c/o 2015 was like 17K, so based off that I guess 10k isn't a lot. But it's still 10k more than i expected! There is hope :D

Not sure if this is what you were looking for, haha.

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:10 pm

any tips on how to get a scholarship increase?

tony2167

Bronze

Post by tony2167 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:06 pm

^Don't send in a second deposit, maybe. I know after the first round of deposits they upped virtually everyone who didn't put money down :-/

Of course, this is a bad idea and you probably shouldn't do it. I'm just still salty about the post-deposit scholarship increases everyone received.

gator32

New

Post by gator32 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:03 pm

tony2167 wrote:^Don't send in a second deposit, maybe. I know after the first round of deposits they upped virtually everyone who didn't put money down :-/

Of course, this is a bad idea and you probably shouldn't do it. I'm just still salty about the post-deposit scholarship increases everyone received.
Honestly, this is a gamble I wouldn't take. Call the school, ask to speak to Dean Rahman or Jay Gurgenson (may have mispelled that, I found Jay more helpful honestly) and just tell them ask politely if there was any other scholarship money left over. Maybe tell them about offers you have from other schools but it is a bit late in the game for that so it might not be as effective. Also, just ask them to make a note in your file to please consider you for extra money if they "find" some. I did that after getting in off the WL and got another 5k/year.

Anyone have any movement off the WL btw?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”