University of Richmond c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gator32

New

Re: University of Richmond c/o 2016

Post by gator32 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:26 am

1Mwaiting2016 wrote:
gator32 wrote:Think I just got in off the WL. Missed a call from the Dean with "exciting news." I'll call her in the morning - I would love to move back to the Commonwealth, so hopefully there is a scholarship or something in the works too (doubtful).

@harris4, if my suspicions are correct in that I was accepted, than yes there is hope for you (very similar numbers)
Congrats! Can they lure you away from UF?
Thanks! I previously lived in Hampton Roads & DC, so I love Virginia and would love to live there. I think it really is one of the best places in the country. As for luring me away from UF - I have FL residency so it would probably take a scholarship. I need to look more into Richmond's employment numbers too. UF is the top dog in the state too, whereas there are lots of competitive schools in VA. I don't know, tough decision. We'll see what they offer. I got their voicemail when I called lol.

sadcat16

New

Post by sadcat16 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:07 pm

I got the call last night - accepted off the waitlist, 15k schol.

harris4

New

Post by harris4 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:06 pm

Do you think you will be attending?

gator32

New

Post by gator32 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:43 pm

sadcat16 wrote:I got the call last night - accepted off the waitlist, 15k schol.
I got the same thing as well. This is a tough choice, now.

How do people feel about Richmond's job prospects? I am assuming it would be very tough to crack the Northern VA market with all the schools up there, however.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:53 pm

woah.. just received a call from admissions saying they upped my scholly to 20k/y ... and I withdrew about a week ago.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

1Mwaiting2016

New

Post by 1Mwaiting2016 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:52 pm

gator32 wrote:
sadcat16 wrote:I got the call last night - accepted off the waitlist, 15k schol.

How do people feel about Richmond's job prospects? I am assuming it would be very tough to crack the Northern VA market with all the schools up there, however.
Carter N wrote:I think another thing to consider in terms of employment is UofR's high clerkship placement rate (one of, if not the highest in the country) and what that means for future job opportunities.

Also an interesting fact that they shared with us at ASD was that there are currently more UofR grads serving as judges (I am assuming this excludes federal courts) in Virginia than any other school.
dirtrida2 wrote:http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... =employers

something im missing?
Here are a couple of opinions on Richmond's prospects, especially clerking.
In my opinion, finding a job in this economy is completely indicative of how hard YOU try and YOU network and has less to do with the school. I am sure 95% of the people on this website would disagree with that statement though.

gator32

New

Post by gator32 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:04 pm

Thanks for sharing that. Looking at it on LST it seems as if the employment numbers are comparable to UF's. I guess it just comes down to how much of a disadvantage I will be at with having no legal contacts in VA.

Are you attending UR next year as well?

1Mwaiting2016

New

Post by 1Mwaiting2016 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:33 pm

Hopefully, as long as I get off of the wait list. hahaha so I should probably try harder to dissuade you from attending. :P

gator32

New

Post by gator32 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:50 pm

1Mwaiting2016 wrote:Hopefully, as long as I get off of the wait list. hahaha so I should probably try harder to dissuade you from attending. :P
I hope you get in then!!!

I'll tell them I will only attend on the condition they offer you a seat as well. Don't worry. Researching the school now and liking what I see a lot.

Anyone have any idea how well Richmond places in Northern VA?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Carter N

New

Post by Carter N » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:54 pm

DAMNNNNITTTT I SHOULD HAVE WAITED TO DEPOSIT! THEY TRICKED MEEEEE :lol:

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:20 pm

gator32 wrote:
1Mwaiting2016 wrote:Hopefully, as long as I get off of the wait list. hahaha so I should probably try harder to dissuade you from attending. :P

I'll tell them I will only attend on the condition they offer you a seat as well. Don't worry. Researching the school now and liking what I see a lot.

Richmond does alright in Nova but GMU W&M and W&L students are pretty strong there as well. UVA kids seem to not go to nova much. Richmond's stronghold is mainly Richmond itself (the city) and doesn't have too strong of a reach outside of that

1Mwaiting2016

New

Post by 1Mwaiting2016 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:24 pm

gator32 wrote:

Well you're my new best friend here. Literally the nicest person on this website thus far.
I'm from NOVA too, so I'd be looking to be placed there too. Honestly, I think its definitely harder up here to get a job (competing with Mason and other DC area schools), compared to the Richmond area. Richmond gave me some sheet of paper (that is conveniently lost at the moment) that told me the regional areas were graduates were placed in Virginia and I wasn't disappointed with the amount they placed in NOVA. But that also is not an independent source and should be read with a grain of salt.

gator32

New

Post by gator32 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:36 pm

Thanks for the kind responses ^^.

I kind of figured WM, WL, GMU, GW, Gtown, and UVa would bite into the NoVa/DC market making it tougher to go there from UofR, but glad to know it still does decently. I previously lived in Hampton Roads (as well as DC), so I am OK ending up in either area. I just really want to do criminal law and imagine the market is bigger in NoVa than the rest of VA. Of course RVA is an awesome city too!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gator32

New

Post by gator32 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:37 pm

1Mwaiting2016 wrote:
gator32 wrote:

Well you're my new best friend here. Literally the nicest person on this website thus far.
I'm from NOVA too, so I'd be looking to be placed there too. Honestly, I think its definitely harder up here to get a job (competing with Mason and other DC area schools), compared to the Richmond area. Richmond gave me some sheet of paper (that is conveniently lost at the moment) that told me the regional areas were graduates were placed in Virginia and I wasn't disappointed with the amount they placed in NOVA. But that also is not an independent source and should be read with a grain of salt.
I'm flattered, thanks lol. Are you looking at any other schools in VA?

sadcat16

New

Post by sadcat16 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:39 pm

harris4 wrote:Do you think you will be attending?
Nope. Withdrew this morning :) hope that helps someone who`s still waiting!

sadcat16

New

Post by sadcat16 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:42 pm

gator32 wrote:

Well... my decision to withdraw had nothing to do with the job market. I am a Philadelphia native and know the area well. I have a decent network established here. I have actually never even been to Richmond :oops: When I ended up getting into the Phila schools with a lot more $$$ ... that kind of sealed the deal for me =/

I was on priority WL for Richmond, so I am not sure how far down the list they are now. But hopefully someone else gets the call soon!! =)

harris4

New

Post by harris4 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:28 pm

Any news on the waitlist for anybody?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

1Mwaiting2016

New

Post by 1Mwaiting2016 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:10 pm

I just called a few minutes ago. They are in a "holding period", so their class is full at the moment. People have to withdraw in order for them to make more offers... :cry:

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:12 pm

1Mwaiting2016 wrote:I just called a few minutes ago. They are in a "holding period", so their class is full at the moment. People have to withdraw in order for them to make more offers... :cry:
Trust me, its not full.

I didn't even submit my first seat deposit and they called me back increasing my award and extending my deposit date.

They are just holding out hope that those with higher numbers than you register.

Either way, you would probably benefit from a retake =)

1Mwaiting2016

New

Post by 1Mwaiting2016 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:27 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:
1Mwaiting2016 wrote:I just called a few minutes ago. They are in a "holding period", so their class is full at the moment. People have to withdraw in order for them to make more offers... :cry:
Trust me, its not full.

I didn't even submit my first seat deposit and they called me back increasing my award and extending my deposit date.

They are just holding out hope that those with higher numbers than you register.

yeah... i'm at the 3 in a certain time period. sooooooooo

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:29 pm

1Mwaiting2016 wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:
Trust me, its not full.

yeah... i'm at the 3 in a certain time period. sooooooooo
Well I applaud you for at least seeing the benefit of a retake.

Good luck on the waitlist, I have already seen some people receive $$ as they came off.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

harris4

New

Post by harris4 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:29 pm

Do you really think it is possible that the class is already full? That seems very unlikely.

1Mwaiting2016

New

Post by 1Mwaiting2016 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:31 pm

harris4 wrote:Do you really think it is possible that the class is already full? That seems very unlikely.
That's just what I was told on the phone. I don't necessarily believe it, but that's the statement being given by the admissions office at this time.

harris4

New

Post by harris4 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:32 pm

Well that's pretty discouraging.

harris4

New

Post by harris4 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:32 pm

@dirtrida, are planning on attending Richmond?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”