UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CO2016YEAH

Silver

Re: UC Hastings c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Post by CO2016YEAH » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:09 pm

well.let's.see wrote:What's the reality regarding the average debt students graduate with from Hastings?
I'm guessing it's pretty bimodal, as in pretty much close to full COA or nothing. I could be wrong.

COA has got to be around $250k. :roll:

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:13 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:
well.let's.see wrote:What's the reality regarding the average debt students graduate with from Hastings?
I'm guessing it's pretty bimodal, as in pretty much close to full COA or nothing. I could be wrong.

I was at 60k a year w/o adjustments. Sf is expensive.

well.let's.see

New

Post by well.let's.see » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:41 pm

DildaMan wrote:
CO2016YEAH wrote:

I was at 60k a year w/o adjustments. Sf is expensive.

Forgive me if this is obvious, but what do you mean by "w/o adjustments?"

well.let's.see

New

Post by well.let's.see » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:45 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:

Fair enough...but, how much of a guess, is your guess, that attending Hastings is a more or less all or nothing enterprise?

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:51 pm

well.let's.see wrote:
CO2016YEAH wrote:

Fair enough...but, how much of a guess, is your guess, that attending Hastings is a more or less all or nothing enterprise?
It is LARGELY a guess. I suspect that a good number of students will either be borrowing the whole shot or have a wealthy family/trust fund that can cover the bill. Then again, there may be a few with some sort of GI bill benefits, partial scholly's, etc.

Then again, I think UCH does offer some sort of blanket need aid (the email said this years average is expected to be around $13k-15k). So if you are very poor and will be borrowing, like me, it might be realistic to estimate about $35-45k off of the total COA; of course, this is also only speculation.

I haven't heard much about merit aid from UCH, but presumably there are people who get some and maybe even a few full rides.

The bigger point here is that average debt really says nothing about your situation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:10 am

Hastings c/o 2012 grad here.

I cannot believe anyone is considering going to Hastings given my class's employment rate, which, amazingly, was significantly worse than I even expected. Class of 2011 had an employment rate at graduation of ~50%, class of 2012 is 26%. It's unfathomable, really.

Do yourself a favor and don't go six figures into debt for a 26% shot at ANY job, and about a 9% chance at a job that could reasonably service a $100k+ debt load.

Any of you considering UCH, please feel free to PM me.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:17 am

hiima3L wrote:Hastings c/o 2012 grad here.

I cannot believe anyone is considering going to Hastings given my class's employment rate, which, amazingly, was significantly worse than I even expected. Class of 2011 had an employment rate at graduation of ~50%, class of 2012 is 26%. It's unfathomable, really.

Do yourself a favor and don't go six figures into debt for a 26% shot at ANY job, and about a 9% chance at a job that could reasonably service a $100k+ debt load.

woah, where are those numbers from?

simplycatalina

Silver

Post by simplycatalina » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:42 am

Lasers wrote:

that is actually terrifying...

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:13 am

cbarlow1016 wrote:
Lasers wrote:

that is actually terrifying...
Citation needed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:53 am

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:35 am

Lasers wrote:

Newest rankings. Look at the employment data. It's atrocious. The 9% figure came from some NALP chart I saw recently and it definitely makes sense given I can only think of about a dozen friends who got big law, almost all of which were top 10-15%. I have a few close friends who graduated magna who are still unemployed.

When I was looking into schools (2007-2008), Hastings had (from what I recall) a ~80% employment rate with much higher avg salaries and a much more significant shot at big lawl (I think it was approx. 30%). It's gone dramatically downhill due to the CA economy, and SF particularly, tanking.

Please don't go unless you're getting a lot of money (which won't happen at Hastings).

Sources: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... ings-03015

Correction: c/o 2011 was 9% http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/tag/nlj-250/

I can't imagine 2012 is going to be much better.

lisavj

Bronze

Post by lisavj » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:06 pm

hiima3L wrote: Please don't go unless you're getting a lot of money (which won't happen at Hastings)
[/quote]

Or you have money to spend and want to do this rather than a Caribbean vacay. Or you are willing to drop out year one and be a Starbucks barista to pay off the debt for three plus years losing the $$ and the time.**

** full disclosure, I went in with a plan to drop out if I didn't get a firm job at OCI. I also have a spouse who helped with tuition payments. It worked for me (full disclosure #2 I transferred), but in retrospect it was a dumb gamble to take.
Last edited by lisavj on Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xiaojimu

Bronze

Post by xiaojimu » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:34 pm

The Law Schools Whose Grads Earn The Biggest Paychecks
Hastings is #20 :)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquelynsm ... paychecks/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

boblawlob

Silver

Post by boblawlob » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:36 pm

lisavj wrote:
hiima3L wrote:
Lasers wrote:
Please don't go unless you're getting a lot of money (which won't happen at Hastings)
Or you have money to spend and want to do this rather than a Caribbean vacay. Or you are willing to drop out year one and be a Starbucks barista to pay off the debt for three plus years losing the $$ and the time.**

** full disclosure, I went in with a plan to drop out if I didn't get a firm job at OCI. I also have a spouse who helped with tuition payments. It worked for me (full disclosure #2 I transferred), but in retrospect it was a dumb gamble to take.
where did you transfer to?

md22

Bronze

Post by md22 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:38 pm

xiaojimu wrote:The Law Schools Whose Grads Earn The Biggest Paychecks
Hastings is #20 :)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquelynsm ... paychecks/
If you're one of those lucky 9% who get big law... :shock: :shock:

Edit: they also have USF, SCU, and USD in the top 25. I'm assuming SCU is aided by the IP/Patent law (although I don't know anything about that field to be frank), but USF? Lol wut.

Legal_Octopus

New

Post by Legal_Octopus » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:52 pm

Man... you know, it's not like I didn't know about the grimness of the job market.

I applied and was accepted early commitment, with roughly median numbers, because this was my first choice (I'm from San Francisco). I knew Hastings was ranked relatively lowly among law schools, but expected it to trend upwards. I knew the rankings were a poor reflection of educational quality in the first place.

Seeing the latest fall, and the macabre employment statistics... and realizing now I may not got much money because I applied EC... It might be worth it to just wait until next year and either apply again to get into better programs or give up this dream. Over 50k/year total to go a school in a five way tie for the very last spot in the already substandard category of "Top 50 schools" so that I can have a 50% shot at a job within a year of graduating.

I've got some serious thinking to do.

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:10 pm

Legal_Octopus wrote:Man... you know, it's not like I didn't know about the grimness of the job market.

I applied and was accepted early commitment, with roughly median numbers, because this was my first choice (I'm from San Francisco). I knew Hastings was ranked relatively lowly among law schools, but expected it to trend upwards. I knew the rankings were a poor reflection of educational quality in the first place.

Seeing the latest fall, and the macabre employment statistics... and realizing now I may not got much money because I applied EC... It might be worth it to just wait until next year and either apply again to get into better programs or give up this dream. Over 50k/year total to go a school in a five way tie for the very last spot in the already substandard category of "Top 50 schools" so that I can have a 50% shot at a job within a year of graduating.

It's a pretty easy decision, I think. You have reservations, so you shouldn't bother.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:22 pm

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:39 pm

Legal_Octopus wrote:Man... you know, it's not like I didn't know about the grimness of the job market.

I agree that it's an easy decisions. Unless or some reason they offer you a full ride, do not go.

sfhaze

Bronze

Post by sfhaze » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:40 pm

FlyingNorth wrote:It is a little concerning that they dropped 4 spots in the rankings since last year. Especially since one of the school's targeted goals for the future was to work with US News to improve their national standing among law schools
This ^ is a good point. I recall seeing a very positive article about UC Hastings and its dean on ABL late last year for making what were seen as positive, eminently sensible changes. They did in fact look like great ideas -- I guess other schools made similar changes, even more so? (assuming any of these changes would register relatively quickly in USNWR ranking, which I have no idea about)

The recent decrease in class size was like 20%? It really should be more like 50%, at least, or have a major decrease in tuition, but that won't happen anywhere these days. I just don't see how Hastings could stay (or I should say return to being) near competitive having so much more students compared to Berkeley, Stanford, Davis, (dare I say Irvine?), yet costing basically the same.

Although this might very well be a moot exercise, those of you still interested in Hastings might consider bringing such questions, and also what more specific improvements are planned, to the admin or profs or admissions dean, or whoever seems appropriate. You might learn something from their response, even if what you learn is unsatisfactory, which itself would be something. Or, what the hell, you might even want to try concisely contacting (employed) alums to ask for their thoughts, e.g., maybe those working at law firms, etc. Again, this might very well lead to nothing, but at least you'll feel to have made a more informed decision. And most alums will have opinions on this, since nearly all attended Hastings when it was far higher ranked (and keep in mind much less expensive too, but that's true for all schools).

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:48 pm

sfhaze wrote:
FlyingNorth wrote:It is a little concerning that they dropped 4 spots in the rankings since last year. Especially since one of the school's targeted goals for the future was to work with US News to improve their national standing among law schools
This ^ is a good point. I recall seeing a very positive article about UC Hastings and its dean on ABL late last year for making what were seen as positive, eminently sensible changes. They did in fact look like great ideas -- I guess other schools made similar changes, even more so? (assuming any of these changes would register relatively quickly in USNWR ranking, which I have no idea about)

The recent decrease in class size was like 20%? It really should be more like 50%, at least, or have a major decrease in tuition, but that won't happen anywhere these days. I just don't see how Hastings could stay (or I should say return to being) near competitive having so much more students compared to Berkeley, Stanford, Davis, (dare I say Irvine?), yet costing basically the same.

Although this might very well be a moot exercise, those of you still interested in Hastings might consider bringing such questions, and also what more specific improvements are planned, to the admin or profs or admissions dean, or whoever seems appropriate. You might learn something from their response, even if what you learn is unsatisfactory, which itself would be something. Or, what the hell, you might even want to try concisely contacting (employed) alums to ask for their thoughts, e.g., maybe those working at law firms, etc. Again, this might very well lead to nothing, but at least you'll feel to have made a more informed decision. And most alums will have opinions on this, since nearly all attended Hastings when it was far higher ranked (and keep in mind much less expensive too, but that's true for all schools).
You are way more articulate sober.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:23 pm

sfhaze wrote:

As much as I like Dean Wu as a person and think he is genuinely trying to help the students (or is just an incredibly good politician, which is entirely possible), I think it's institutionally impossible to make drastic changes that are necessary. Simply put, the curriculum and the corresponding class size needs to be slashed. It's not going to happen, however, so the school seems pretty doomed until then.

AABergq

New

Post by AABergq » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:30 am

Anyone else who still hasn't heard back yet?, app complete 12/21, not sure what's taking so long...

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:38 pm

elliejoon

New

Post by elliejoon » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:29 pm

I got an email from them about 3-4 weeks ago saying my application was complete, but never got a sign in for their status checker or anything... Awkward.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”