Waitlisted at UVA c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
FKASunny

Gold

Re: Waitlisted at UVA c/o 2016

Post by FKASunny » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:31 pm

Rory19 wrote:So I replied to Dean's Richard e-mail and received an out-of-office auto-reply that said to re-contact her after the 8th. Should I just send a brief not to the admissions account of continued interest?
I replied pretty quickly and got the email. They're probably planning on going through and processing all of the notes when they get back to the office on Monday.

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:41 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:You should all withdraw. Thank you in advance.
Unfortunately, it's starting to get to that time. I'm about to lock down housing at my next-choice school in the next 10 days. If nothing materializes by then, then I shall sadly bow out of the UVA sweepstakes.
Same :/ July 15th is going to be my new 'deadline' :/

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:17 pm

I still am not deposited anywhere... I'm willing to sit out a year if need be. So I guess I'm in it until September.

Chambo

Bronze

Post by Chambo » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:00 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:I still am not deposited anywhere... I'm willing to sit out a year if need be. So I guess I'm in it until September.
FWIW, Duke and GTown both told me they'd take a late application, with the understanding that the best case scenario is a waitlist.

bruin91

Bronze

Post by bruin91 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:20 pm

Any guesses as to how many applicants are still on the WL?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:53 am

Accepted off the WL yesterday with 20K a year

I received an email from Dean Richard asking me to call her on Tuesday afternoon and I called Wednesday morning and was offered admission. Did not have the informal interview others reported, just a short pleasant conversation and a congrats. Dean Richard seems really cool/nice.

Numbers a little bit below both medians (high 160s, 3.7X). Non-URM, non-resident. Incorporated a Why UVA into PS but other than that no LOCI. Did respond to almost every one of Dean Richard's emails with a short "I'm still interested."

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:01 am

BigZuck wrote:Accepted off the WL yesterday with 20K a year

I received an email from Dean Richard asking me to call her on Tuesday afternoon and I called Wednesday morning and was offered admission. Did not have the informal interview others reported, just a short pleasant conversation and a congrats. Dean Richard seems really cool/nice.

Numbers a little bit below both medians (high 160s, 3.7X). Non-URM, non-resident. Incorporated a Why UVA into PS but other than that no LOCI. Did respond to almost every one of Dean Richard's emails with a short "I'm still interested."
Congrats Zuck! I specifically told Dean Richard to give my money to you, so it sounds like it worked out.

Are you taking it over UT?

T20hopeful89

Bronze

Post by T20hopeful89 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:07 am

SO JEALOUS!!! CONGRATS!!!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:32 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:

Congrats Zuck! I specifically told Dean Richard to give my money to you, so it sounds like it worked out.

Are you taking it over UT?
I'm conflicted right now. I would really, really love to attend UVA but in the end I will probably have to decline for two reasons.

1. I passed on 90K at Duke for UT and I don't know that taking 60K at UVA over UT makes financial sense

2. More importantly my wife has a great job lined up in Austin with an organization that she has worked for for years and that she wants to stay with long term. She cannot do that job from VA and if she backs out of it now then she will probably burn all bridges with them. Her career is just as important to me as mine and while I know UVA is objectively a better school for me I don't want her career to get totally derailed.

Lots of things to think about in the next couple days.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:09 am

Think fast, please. And while I'm totally self interested, based on your wife's goals and the fact that Texas is still a great regional powerhouse, I think you should choose UT.

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:11 am

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:Think fast, please. And while I'm totally self interested, based on your wife's goals and the fact that Texas is still a great regional powerhouse, I think you should choose UT.
+1. But whatever you choose, congrats, dude!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:18 pm

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:Think fast, please. And while I'm totally self interested, based on your wife's goals and the fact that Texas is still a great regional powerhouse, I think you should choose UT.
Yeah, that's my thinking as well.

And I hope you would understand if someone took their time to think through a life-defining decision. They are only giving people a few days to decide though, don't worry.

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:24 pm

BigZuck wrote:

And I hope you would understand if someone took their time to think through a life-defining decision. They are only giving people a few days to decide though, don't worry.
I would absolutely not understand!

(I think most of us have been admitted to schools where we eventually withdrew. We understand how hard it is to pick one path over another. Take your time)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bruin91

Bronze

Post by bruin91 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:35 pm

BigZuck wrote:

Bro, seriously, take every single minute you need. You're most important! Good luck on your decision man.

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:50 pm

lol again just lol

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:55 pm

LRGhost wrote:lol again just lol
wut happen

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:00 pm

BigZuck wrote:
wut happen
dat email about 'we'll be in touch before Monday the 22nd' and no spots, etc.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jdb2013

New

Post by jdb2013 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:07 pm

Encouraging to see money, and that we have basically identical responses to the emails... 20/year is probably right where they would have to offer to get me to consider it at this point.

Good luck in your decision making process, it seems your wife has made this a pretty straightforward decision for you though. Nothing wrong with UT and it seems like the best choice for what is mutually beneficial.

Chambo

Bronze

Post by Chambo » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:12 pm

LRGhost wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
wut happen
dat email about 'we'll be in touch before Monday the 22nd' and no spots, etc.
I doubt any schools really have spots open at this point. We're really just waiting on the already-admitted people to get into another school from a waitlist or ask for a deferral.

On top of that, we don't know what people who have already been offered admissions from the waitlist will decide. There could be four spots opening back up next week based on that alone, plus however many open because of people decommitting.

Chambo

Bronze

Post by Chambo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:02 pm

Anyone hear anything this week?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:12 pm

Chambo wrote:Anyone hear anything this week?
I declined my waitlist acceptance, I just couldn't change course at this point in time for the money they were offering. Dean Richard was really great to work with though, super accommodating. I have tons of respect for her and her office.

That's one more spot and a little bit of money available, good luck guys.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Chambo

Bronze

Post by Chambo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:28 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Chambo wrote:Anyone hear anything this week?
I declined my waitlist acceptance, I just couldn't change course at this point in time for the money they were offering. Dean Richard was really great to work with though, super accommodating. I have tons of respect for her and her office.

That's one more spot and a little bit of money available, good luck guys.
Gotcha. Good luck in Austin! It's also a great school and a great place to live.

I'm under the gun right now because I got accepted at Duke and they gave me until Wednesday to put a deposit down. I spoke to Dean Richard on Tuesday and she said a few spots were open and files were under review, but that she couldn't say to whom they were going. These past couple days have really been nerve-wracking, but I'm trying to stay optimistic.

CriminalLawyer

New

Post by CriminalLawyer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:45 pm

Anyone hear from Dean Richard this week?

fallingup

Bronze

Post by fallingup » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:59 pm

" We made offers of admission to three wait listed candidates this week. We also released a number of candidates from our wait list, recognizing that it is unlikely that we will be able to make a large number of additional offers.

At this time, we are asking you and small number candidates to remain on our wait list. Based upon past years, we anticipate that we could make another 5-8 offers of admission between now and mid-August. We hope you are able to continue to wait with us.

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:00 pm

CriminalLawyer wrote:Anyone hear from Dean Richard this week?
Just now. Three offers of admission and some released from the WL. Also, that they'll be back in touch by 7 August.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”