Drexel c/o 2016 (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nick417

Bronze

Re: Drexel c/o 2016 (2012-2013)

Post by nick417 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:24 am

jschro818 wrote:For those of you who negotiated their scholarships, what did you mention in your letters to Drexel admissions? That you would love to attend Drexel, but have received higher scholarships elsewhere, therefore can they increase yours?
First, I visited Drexel for admitted students day so I explained what I liked about Drexel compared to the other schools I was admitted at. Then I listed the schools I had been accepted at (all ranked higher than Drexel) and the scholarship $$$ they offered (all offered less scholarship $$ than Drexel). Finally, finished off the email requesting more scholarship $$$.

Its not that hard. There is not a magic phrase or anything. Just explain your situation, what you like about Drexel, and ask for more $$$. Remember, these law schools want us to attend, they are in a sense recruiting us.

csexton182

New

Post by csexton182 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:52 pm

I ended up doing the same thing. I'm solely responsible for the financing for law school (as I'm sure many of you guys are too), and I don't know if I can afford it. I loved Drexel during the ASD so I hope I can attend. Any time frame for a turnaround on the scholly request letters?

wcphillies12

New

Post by wcphillies12 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:33 pm

I sent my request last Thursday night, heard back Friday afternoon. I used Nick's method, said I attended ASD, loved it, said I thought Drexel offered a unique legal education and that I think I would do well there.

Then I talked about financial stresses and burdens of being a law student, etc. Then mentioned my scholarships at higher ranked schools and said in order to alleviate the financial aspect of my decision, could they match or increase my scholarship.

the next day I got an edited version of that acceptance email but it had a higher scholarship and then the Dean of Admissions emailed me saying that they were happy I came to ASD and because of that, they gave me more $$.

i would say that the ASD reference is the most important. So if you did go to it, do not forget to mention that

csexton182

New

Post by csexton182 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:43 pm

Hah, great I said almost the exact same thing. I dont know if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

SoJerz13

New

Post by SoJerz13 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:53 pm

I don't think there is much variance in what you can say aside from your individual offers from other schools. I said the same thing and the response was the same as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

amf728

New

Post by amf728 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:03 am

just withdrew my app w/full scholarship. hope it gets distributed to you guys - GL!

cc6148

New

Post by cc6148 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:47 am

wcphillies12 wrote:I sent my request last Thursday night, heard back Friday afternoon. I used Nick's method, said I attended ASD, loved it, said I thought Drexel offered a unique legal education and that I think I would do well there.

Then I talked about financial stresses and burdens of being a law student, etc. Then mentioned my scholarships at higher ranked schools and said in order to alleviate the financial aspect of my decision, could they match or increase my scholarship.

the next day I got an edited version of that acceptance email but it had a higher scholarship and then the Dean of Admissions emailed me saying that they were happy I came to ASD and because of that, they gave me more $$.

i would say that the ASD reference is the most important. So if you did go to it, do not forget to mention that
Did you mention your other offers specifically in your first e-mail to them, or just say you had other offers?

wcphillies12

New

Post by wcphillies12 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:36 pm

cc6148 wrote:
wcphillies12 wrote:I sent my request last Thursday night, heard back Friday afternoon. I used Nick's method, said I attended ASD, loved it, said I thought Drexel offered a unique legal education and that I think I would do well there.

Did you mention your other offers specifically in your first e-mail to them, or just say you had other offers?
I mentioned the other schools specifically and the amount of money they were offering. I also mentioned that the cost of living in Philadelphia/at Drexel was higher than the other schools who were offering me money.

If you feel that the schools that are offering you $ are peers with Drexel or are higher ranked, I think you should mention them specifically...FWIW, i also threw in the stipulations w/ the other offers as well, hoping that Drexel would lighten up on theirs...didn't work though

cc6148

New

Post by cc6148 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:21 pm

wcphillies12 wrote:
cc6148 wrote:

I mentioned the other schools specifically and the amount of money they were offering. I also mentioned that the cost of living in Philadelphia/at Drexel was higher than the other schools who were offering me money.

If you feel that the schools that are offering you $ are peers with Drexel or are higher ranked, I think you should mention them specifically...FWIW, i also threw in the stipulations w/ the other offers as well, hoping that Drexel would lighten up on theirs...didn't work though
Thanks! I mentioned any peer schools with comparable offers specifically. Sent the e-mail two days ago and have been stalking my inbox since. Anyone else have a longer turnaround than a day or two?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

heffrey

New

Post by heffrey » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:50 pm

cc6148 wrote:
wcphillies12 wrote:
cc6148 wrote:

Thanks! I mentioned any peer schools with comparable offers specifically. Sent the e-mail two days ago and have been stalking my inbox since. Anyone else have a longer turnaround than a day or two?
yep....

csexton182

New

Post by csexton182 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:58 pm

Same here...... I think I may have sent it to an old/former email address. So i re-sent it today to the generalized lawadmissions@drexel.edu one.

Lumieres

Bronze

Post by Lumieres » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:51 pm

Anyone going to ASD tomorrow?

csexton182

New

Post by csexton182 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:54 pm

Wish I could say I was but my undergrad is pretty far away haha. You guys should be impressed though. I went to the first one for the basketball game and it was awesome. They do a great job and work hard at it. All the deans were really nice and down to earth. Have a good time

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WichitaShocker

Bronze

Post by WichitaShocker » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:43 am

In with 20k Scholy, but I will be withdrawing early next week. I hope it frees some money up for the rest of you!

GPA 3.29
LSAT 156

Lumieres

Bronze

Post by Lumieres » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:22 pm

When talking about rankings, I like how they said when comparing Temple to Drexel, it is like comparing Harvard to Vandy. Thought the intent was to promote Drexel, but I don't think that comparison worked...

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:43 pm

Withdrew with a full scholarship, no stips. Best of luck to the rest of you!!

wcphillies12

New

Post by wcphillies12 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:07 pm

Lumieres wrote:When talking about rankings, I like how they said when comparing Temple to Drexel, it is like comparing Harvard to Vandy. Thought the intent was to promote Drexel, but I don't think that comparison worked...
Really? haha who said that??? No offense to Vandy, but I'd assume an acceptance to Harvard vastly outweighs an acceptance to Vandy...gee I hope that's not what they were getting at.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tony2167

Bronze

Post by tony2167 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:56 pm

Lumieres wrote:When talking about rankings, I like how they said when comparing Temple to Drexel, it is like comparing Harvard to Vandy. Thought the intent was to promote Drexel, but I don't think that comparison worked...
Yeah I giggled to myself when the guy said that. I enjoyed the visit, all the faculty/students seemed like very genuine people. I'm still super concerned about the sub 50 percent employment score, however, even with a full ride.

heffrey

New

Post by heffrey » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:05 pm

Class of 2012 employment statistics are now online. For what it's worth, full time long term JD required employment increased by about 5% between 2011 and 2012 (43%-48%).

nick417

Bronze

Post by nick417 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:07 am

I don't think it is that ridiculous of an argument. Both Vandy or Harvard are great schools. Obviously Harvard is better. If offered the same deal (price) from both, you would choose Harvard. However, if you were given a great scholarship offer from Vandy and only a marginal OR no scholarship from Harvard, you would have a choice to make.

Same situation here. Temple vs. Drexel, obviously Temple is much better. If given the same or close deal (price) you would choose Temple in a heart beat. However, if you were given a great scholarship offer from Drexel and no scholarship or marginal one from Temple, you would have a tough choice to make. I am in the latter part, have great scholarship offer from Drexel and no scholarship offer from Temple. Drexel will cost 1/3 of the cost of Temple. Tough decision.

See what I did here, that is logic 101.

wcphillies12

New

Post by wcphillies12 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:18 am

nick417 wrote:
I don't think it is that ridiculous of an argument. Both Vandy or Harvard are great schools. Obviously Harvard is better. If offered the same deal (price) from both, you would choose Harvard. However, if you were given a great scholarship offer from Vandy and only a marginal OR no scholarship from Harvard, you would have a choice to make.

Same situation here. Temple vs. Drexel, obviously Temple is much better. If given the same or close deal (price) you would choose Temple in a heart beat. However, if you were given a great scholarship offer from Drexel and no scholarship or marginal one from Temple, you would have a tough choice to make. I am in the latter part, have great scholarship offer from Drexel and no scholarship offer from Temple. Drexel will cost 1/3 of the cost of Temple. Tough decision.

See what I did here, that is logic 101.
Yeah I understand what they were getting at, but I would take Harvard over Vanderbilt at any price. That's just my opinion though. Even with that comparison of Harvard and Vandy, geographics and employment outcomes have to be considered. I feel like the Temple and Drexel comparison is similar to BC/BU and Northeastern. You could probably argue that BC & BU are similar to Temple & Nova in their respective regions, and Northeastern and Drexel are similar...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lumieres

Bronze

Post by Lumieres » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:55 am

BC/BU and Northeastern comparison is definitely more fitting.

tony2167

Bronze

Post by tony2167 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:15 pm

Got an email today that they're removing the GPA stip on my full ride, so I only need to be in good academic standing to maintain it. Hmm, that makes things a little more difficult.

Lumieres

Bronze

Post by Lumieres » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:20 pm

tony2167 wrote:Got an email today that they're removing the GPA stip on my full ride, so I only need to be in good academic standing to maintain it. Hmm, that makes things a little more difficult.
It was bound to come sooner or later.

Did you enjoy that current student panel before lunch?

Megan6144

New

Post by Megan6144 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:34 pm

I sent my letter asking for more money today and they told me they wanted to see my offers from comparable schools. Anyone else have this experience?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”