Drexel c/o 2016 (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Christinf01

New

Re: Drexel c/o 2016 (2012-2013)

Post by Christinf01 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:06 pm

..just called admissions to ask about when the next wave of decisions will be released..they said the bulk of the decisions are not released until April..

does anyone know why this would be, especially for people who apply Sept, Oct, Nov? I always thought the sooner you apply the sooner you'll get a decision...

coffeeaddict

Bronze

Post by coffeeaddict » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:20 pm

Christinf01 wrote:..just called admissions to ask about when the next wave of decisions will be released..they said the bulk of the decisions are not released until April..

does anyone know why this would be, especially for people who apply Sept, Oct, Nov? I always thought the sooner you apply the sooner you'll get a decision...

What? April? That is nuts. Damn they are going to lose out on a lot of applicants that commit to other schools b/c Drexel isn't yet in the running yet or they haven't got scholly info. Damn, I'm hoping to have decided where I will attend by April.

If they are trying to gauge their FULL applicant pool due to lower applications before they make decisions, they are really doing themselves and the applicants a disservice by waiting so long.

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:33 pm

Could it be because their application deadline isn't until August?

That is really weird though, especially since they were getting back to quite a few people so quickly in the fall.

cnk

Bronze

Post by cnk » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:31 pm

April?! that's when most 1st seat deposits are due...or at least one of mine is. :shock:

csexton182

New

Post by csexton182 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:19 pm

What's your guys numbers ( if you don't mind sharing ). Maybe you guys are on the fence for adcomms?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Christinf01

New

Post by Christinf01 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:36 pm

csexton182 wrote:What's your guys numbers ( if you don't mind sharing ). Maybe you guys are on the fence for adcomms?
It could very well be...but she had no idea who I was or what my numbers are over the phone...that's why I'm surprised she said that..

tony2167

Bronze

Post by tony2167 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:40 pm

If decisions really aren't coming out until April that's crazy. Almost all of the seat deposits for the schools I've been admitted to are due April 1. Surely that woman just didn't know what she was talking about, or else they'll lose out on a lot of potential students.

csexton182

New

Post by csexton182 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:28 pm

Went to ASD today at Drexel. Really enjoyed the atmosphere. It started out with just some meet and greet kind of stuff and we met a bunch of students, faculty members, and some admissions staff. All of which were very welcoming and informative. They really made it comfortable for everyone and it was very laid back. I was surprised and happy that it was so laid back and not so formal. You hear law school and think "man this is going to be serious". While they take the rigors and tough environment for students into account, they also do a wonderful job at showing you that law school is more than just sitting in a library all day miserably. All of those that we met were more than welcoming and happy with their decisions to attend the school. The dean was so laid back and kind about what he told us. None of the people we met sugar coated the experience, but also made us aware that it really is not as bad as people make it out to be. They said that the scholarship retention was right around 50%, so staying in the top half of your class is a big deal. Afterwards, we toured the whole school, and I was quite impressed. They have a moot court room, and some really nice classrooms. They also have free lockers for students so they don't have to lug their books around everywhere. However, the thing that really got me was that EVERYONE was so nice and laid back about everything. Even the alumni that showed up at the basketball game had nothing but good things to say. They were all employed (as lawyers) and loved their jobs. The food and drinks were great (it was an open bar), and apparently, they have many events that they host that are open bars and good food. So all in all, I was quite impressed. All of the staff were more than happy to come up and talk to you, and all of the students were very down-to-earth people who were kind of like your friends. So I encourage you to check out the school if you can, they said they're having a much bigger accepted students day in March. Good luck to you all and please dont hesitate to PM me if you have any other questions about it.

Skye

Bronze

Post by Skye » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:23 pm

Out of curiosity what is OCI like? How many interviews does a typical 1L have? How many firms attend. . . etc.? I ask because a friend from cross-town Temple said theirs was disappointing last year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wingedwolf

New

Post by wingedwolf » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:04 pm

csexton182 wrote:Went to ASD today at Drexel. Really enjoyed the atmosphere. It started out with just some meet and greet kind of stuff and we met a bunch of students, faculty members, and some admissions staff. All of which were very welcoming and informative. They really made it comfortable for everyone and it was very laid back. I was surprised and happy that it was so laid back and not so formal. You hear law school and think "man this is going to be serious". While they take the rigors and tough environment for students into account, they also do a wonderful job at showing you that law school is more than just sitting in a library all day miserably. All of those that we met were more than welcoming and happy with their decisions to attend the school. The dean was so laid back and kind about what he told us. None of the people we met sugar coated the experience, but also made us aware that it really is not as bad as people make it out to be. They said that the scholarship retention was right around 50%, so staying in the top half of your class is a big deal. Afterwards, we toured the whole school, and I was quite impressed. They have a moot court room, and some really nice classrooms. They also have free lockers for students so they don't have to lug their books around everywhere. However, the thing that really got me was that EVERYONE was so nice and laid back about everything. Even the alumni that showed up at the basketball game had nothing but good things to say. They were all employed (as lawyers) and loved their jobs. The food and drinks were great (it was an open bar), and apparently, they have many events that they host that are open bars and good food. So all in all, I was quite impressed. All of the staff were more than happy to come up and talk to you, and all of the students were very down-to-earth people who were kind of like your friends. So I encourage you to check out the school if you can, they said they're having a much bigger accepted students day in March. Good luck to you all and please dont hesitate to PM me if you have any other questions about it.
First off, thanks for sharing your experience! I was unable to attend ASD, so like others on this board, I was interested in how it went. My second question may not be appropriate here, but I was wondering if a 50% scholarship retention rate is "normal" in most law schools that have stipulations. Should that number scare me? Or should I figure, "hey that means every 1 out of 2 people keep their scholarship, I just have to make sure one of those people is me".

Granfalloon12

Bronze

Post by Granfalloon12 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:14 am

wingedwolf wrote: First off, thanks for sharing your experience! I was unable to attend ASD, so like others on this board, I was interested in how it went. My second question may not be appropriate here, but I was wondering if a 50% scholarship retention rate is "normal" in most law schools that have stipulations. Should that number scare me? Or should I figure, "hey that means every 1 out of 2 people keep their scholarship, I just have to make sure one of those people is me".
Sorry to be so negative, but generally stats like that - according to TLS conventional wisdom - are a huge red flag to NOT attend said school, as it's so difficult to predict how one will fare grade-wise in law school.
Personally, I'm soon going to contact the admissions the office in hopes of removing or lowering the stip, as 2.95 is a bit steep and risky.

SoJerz13

New

Post by SoJerz13 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:53 pm

csexton182 wrote:Went to ASD today at Drexel. Really enjoyed the atmosphere. It started out with just some meet and greet kind of stuff and we met a bunch of students, faculty members, and some admissions staff. All of which were very welcoming and informative. They really made it comfortable for everyone and it was very laid back. I was surprised and happy that it was so laid back and not so formal. You hear law school and think "man this is going to be serious". While they take the rigors and tough environment for students into account, they also do a wonderful job at showing you that law school is more than just sitting in a library all day miserably. All of those that we met were more than welcoming and happy with their decisions to attend the school. The dean was so laid back and kind about what he told us. None of the people we met sugar coated the experience, but also made us aware that it really is not as bad as people make it out to be. They said that the scholarship retention was right around 50%, so staying in the top half of your class is a big deal. Afterwards, we toured the whole school, and I was quite impressed. They have a moot court room, and some really nice classrooms. They also have free lockers for students so they don't have to lug their books around everywhere. However, the thing that really got me was that EVERYONE was so nice and laid back about everything. Even the alumni that showed up at the basketball game had nothing but good things to say. They were all employed (as lawyers) and loved their jobs. The food and drinks were great (it was an open bar), and apparently, they have many events that they host that are open bars and good food. So all in all, I was quite impressed. All of the staff were more than happy to come up and talk to you, and all of the students were very down-to-earth people who were kind of like your friends. So I encourage you to check out the school if you can, they said they're having a much bigger accepted students day in March. Good luck to you all and please dont hesitate to PM me if you have any other questions about it.
I also went to ASD and was extremely surprised at the overall friendliness of the professors, dean, alumni and students. Everyone seemed to love the school and had nothing but good things to say about the program there especially the co-op opportunities and entrepreneurship clinic (which would be my concentration). I really enjoyed the laid back atmosphere of the school and the students. The dean even openly answered my questions about my scholarship and if I could have it increased because of other offers I have received. Overall, I had all my questions answered and pending an obscure acceptance to a reach school, it looks like I'll be attending Drexel in the fall.

nick417

Bronze

Post by nick417 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:25 am

Granfalloon12 wrote:
wingedwolf wrote: First off, thanks for sharing your experience! I was unable to attend ASD, so like others on this board, I was interested in how it went. My second question may not be appropriate here, but I was wondering if a 50% scholarship retention rate is "normal" in most law schools that have stipulations. Should that number scare me? Or should I figure, "hey that means every 1 out of 2 people keep their scholarship, I just have to make sure one of those people is me".
Sorry to be so negative, but generally stats like that - according to TLS conventional wisdom - are a huge red flag to NOT attend said school, as it's so difficult to predict how one will fare grade-wise in law school.
Personally, I'm soon going to contact the admissions the office in hopes of removing or lowering the stip, as 2.95 is a bit steep and risky.

This is how law schools work across the board. I was accepted at Michigan State with the same scholarship stipulations (in fact MSU is even higher at a 3.0). That is the environment we are in here. It shouldn't be a "red flag", it should mean I need to work really hard to keep said scholarship. The point of law school is to be in the top half of your class, if you aren't in the top half of your class, maybe law school isn't right for you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nick417

Bronze

Post by nick417 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:29 am

SoJerz13 wrote:
I also went to ASD and was extremely surprised at the overall friendliness of the professors, dean, alumni and students. Everyone seemed to love the school and had nothing but good things to say about the program there especially the co-op opportunities and entrepreneurship clinic (which would be my concentration). I really enjoyed the laid back atmosphere of the school and the students. The dean even openly answered my questions about my scholarship and if I could have it increased because of other offers I have received. Overall, I had all my questions answered and pending an obscure acceptance to a reach school, it looks like I'll be attending Drexel in the fall.
I was thinking of sending a letter to Drexel to inquire about increasing my scholarship offer. I have a decent offer from Michigan State University (which is higher ranked) right now so I wanted to see if Drexel would up the ante. So Drexel is open to receiving these type of inquiries?

Keasbey

New

Post by Keasbey » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:42 pm

I know this is a little late but I also attended the admitted students day. I have to say everyone was very friendly. I talked with a 2L and a 3L for a while before the tours started in a small, informal group. They really seemed to like the school and the 3L passed up a number of higher ranked schools to attend, which was impressive. The dean of students and admissions gave a good pitch for the school. My tour guide, however, skirted around my questions about employment after Drexel by saying "the job market in general is tough right now for all schools, you really just have to sell yourself." Based on my conversations with lawyers about this subject, it's about half true and I feel their full time/long term stats (42%), when compared with other schools in the area (Nova is around 52% and Temple is around 80%, from what I can remember, that may be wrong though) back that up. I had to leave so I couldn't go the game but I really liked their coop program and feel like it would be very beneficial. Especially since lawyers generally say you're useless as a first year associate because you don't know how to be a lawyer yet. All in all, I think they're on the rise and I have a feeling they'll catch nova and rutgers-camden by 2016. Definitely a very strong second choice for myself.

wingedwolf

New

Post by wingedwolf » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:17 am

Granfalloon12 wrote:
Can you please report back about how it went with your request to remove or lower the stip?

SoJerz13

New

Post by SoJerz13 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:20 am

Granfalloon12 wrote:
I wish you the best of luck in getting the stip lowered, but their logic behind it (as they stated at ASD) was that if they are giving you scholarship money, you should be at least top 50% of your class. They didn't seem like they would be lenient on that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:54 am

Keasbey wrote:I know this is a little late but I also attended the admitted students day. I have to say everyone was very friendly. I talked with a 2L and a 3L for a while before the tours started in a small, informal group. They really seemed to like the school and the 3L passed up a number of higher ranked schools to attend, which was impressive. The dean of students and admissions gave a good pitch for the school. My tour guide, however, skirted around my questions about employment after Drexel by saying "the job market in general is tough right now for all schools, you really just have to sell yourself." Based on my conversations with lawyers about this subject, it's about half true and I feel their full time/long term stats (42%), when compared with other schools in the area (Nova is around 52% and Temple is around 80%, from what I can remember, that may be wrong though) back that up. I had to leave so I couldn't go the game but I really liked their coop program and feel like it would be very beneficial. Especially since lawyers generally say you're useless as a first year associate because you don't know how to be a lawyer yet. All in all, I think they're on the rise and I have a feeling they'll catch nova and rutgers-camden by 2016. Definitely a very strong second choice for myself.
You sound like you are asking the right questions and have a good skepticism about this process, but the bolded caught my eye. With a 43% long-term, full-time legal employment percentage, a portion of which are probably not going into the private sector, it seems unwise to base your decision around the plan of getting an associate position even if you have prior connections to law firms. Prior connections + the requisite grades will probably equal an associate position, but prior connections + insufficient grades = courtesy interview and swift ding. Even if every employed person went into the private sector (pretty much all associate positions are full-time and count as long-term), that's still less than a coin filp's chance that's where you'd end up.

Anyway I know I am in the LSADW forum and I don't want to single you out bc you seem to be the only person in this thread with any skepticism, so as someone said on the last page, I am backing out slowly....

Pip42

Bronze

Post by Pip42 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:56 am

I wish you the best of luck in getting the stip lowered, but their logic behind it (as they stated at ASD) was that if they are giving you scholarship money, you should be at least top 50% of your class. They didn't seem like they would be lenient on that.

That would be fine if it were not for the forced curve. It's amazing how the T-14 and most of the first tier don't look at it that way. Any time where the school has a vested interest in you losing your scholarship is a bad deal.

/off soap box

wingedwolf

New

Post by wingedwolf » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:03 pm

Can anyone currently at Drexel speak about the scholarship situation? Did you keep it? And what is this forced curve? Drexel's website says the class average was a 2.95 (exactly what is needed to keep the scholly).

P.S. This thread is making me feel like an idiot, I grasp the fact that scholarship stipulations are never ideal, but at the same time I kept my undergrad scholly with stipulations and I didn't even have to try (granted, law school is a different animal....but still...if 50% lose the scholarship that means 50% of us will also keep it).

P.P.S. Anyone who gets actual answers from Drexel feel free to pm me at any time!

Christinf01

New

Post by Christinf01 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:59 pm

any movement?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BullShitWithBravado

Bronze

Post by BullShitWithBravado » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:22 pm

nick417 wrote:
Granfalloon12 wrote:
This is how law schools work across the board. I was accepted at Michigan State with the same scholarship stipulations (in fact MSU is even higher at a 3.0). That is the environment we are in here. It shouldn't be a "red flag", it should mean I need to work really hard to keep said scholarship. The point of law school is to be in the top half of your class, if you aren't in the top half of your class, maybe law school isn't right for you.
Just because a lot of schools attach stipulations doesn't mean that it's not a "red flag." However, you're right that the widespread use of stipulations reflects the current legal/law school environment: one in which new law schools keep cropping up despite the fact that there are barely enough legal jobs for half of the students who graduate from law school every year to work full time. http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/09/24/ ... aw-school/

This has been said time and time and again on TLS...hard work doesn't always correlate with good grades. Schools that attach stipulations to their scholarships take advantage of the fact that no one can predict their grades and the fact that a lot of 0Ls who did well in UG are convinced that they will beat the curve.

phlmar

New

Post by phlmar » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:49 pm

in via email!!! my first acceptance, yay!!! got the " $39,450.00" scholly w/ 2.95 stip. wohoo!

elc414

New

Post by elc414 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:30 pm

Last edited by elc414 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

cnk

Bronze

Post by cnk » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:37 pm

congrats, when did you guys go complete?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”