Drexel c/o 2016 (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Pip42

Bronze

Re: Drexel c/o 2016 (2012-2013)

Post by Pip42 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:58 am

This discussion is really interesting. I was ready to dismiss Drexel due to the scholarship stip but now I may give it some more serious consideration. If there are any other Drexel students/grads I would be very interested in your experiences as well.

Keasbey

New

Post by Keasbey » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:21 pm

I didn't go to drexel, I went to another area school and grew up in the Philly area, but I spent a lot of time there with friends. They're kind of notorious for giving out a ton of money and seeing who can make it. I know people who lost scholarship in undergrad. However, like one of the previous comments - this is completely within your own control.

The campus is really nice and the people are friendly. It literally is joined with penn's campus which is beautiful. Lots of good restaurants and a late night cookie truck. It's also pretty safe if your not an idiot and wander too far off campus. I work for a couple attorneys and they think drexel is on the rise. My LSAT teacher was also an attorney who said he would go to drexel over Villanova. I also know a 1L there who likes it. I'm really interested to see what the law school will do, it's definitely a rising star.

phillygal

New

Post by phillygal » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:23 pm

tony2167 wrote:Just curious, what exactly makes you/your friend think Drexel will break into the T30 any time soon? Their employment numbers aren't good by any measure and their GPA/LSAT profiles aren't similar to T30 schools either. I could see them breaking into the TT pretty easily, but T30 is way down the road, if at all.
I think Drexel is really pushing to move up in the rankings and get more recognition. When I visited, they were interviewing new candidates to build their faculty and strengthen the programs they're already good at, like IP, Health, and Business. Also consider the huge scholarship money they're offering- they're definitely trying to attract some of those higher-numbered students who are taking financial considerations seriously.
Last edited by phillygal on Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keasbey

New

Post by Keasbey » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:02 pm

^^^ I agree. I think that the steps Drexel is taking to become a nationally recognized program are really encouraging.

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:54 pm

Applied two days ago and just got the email that I got in with a full-ride (2.95 stip)! So that's a relief.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wingedwolf

New

Post by wingedwolf » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:08 pm

Keep me posted (well TLS that is) about your decisions. I keep hovering back over my copy of USNEWS :roll: lol, but it's encouraging to see that others in the field believe Drexel has a shot at becoming something greater. Plus, tbh with shaky employment stats everywhere except the T14, I feel like a free education (for those of us planning to work hard and keep the 2.95) might be worth it. That would allow me to take almost any job and begin to accrue an income instead of paying off debt (I'm excluding considering COL as debt (for now) bc I haven't gotten that far).

shedl001

New

Post by shedl001 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:38 pm

Accepted 2.93/156. 5k a year

cnk

Bronze

Post by cnk » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:42 pm

congrats! when did you apply? i'm still stuck on complete from 11/19.

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:58 pm

cnk wrote:congrats! when did you apply? i'm still stuck on complete from 11/19.
I could be wrong, but that sounds a little odd compared to the trend of when other people heard back. I heard back almost 48 hours after I applied, and that was December. Maybe it's worth a call?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

csexton182

New

Post by csexton182 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:51 pm

Anyone get an acceptance packet yet? I'm curious as to what is inside.

Granfalloon12

Bronze

Post by Granfalloon12 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:10 pm

csexton182 wrote:Anyone get an acceptance packet yet? I'm curious as to what is inside.
Nothing out of the ordinary -- a general packet, an acceptance letter, a doc. explaining your scholarship more thoroughly.

Kurohoshi

New

Post by Kurohoshi » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:18 pm

presidentk1 wrote:
kdev1203 wrote:
kjones0127 wrote:
presidentk1 wrote:1L here if you guys have any questions = )
What's the thing that you like the least about drexel?
I always hear the selling points of the school, but I would like to know what students find annoying or just plain dislike about the school, if you don't mind.

Thank you for offering advice!
Well, I'm an undergrad here and I can tell you the law library is crawling with obnoxious, noisy undergraduates from 6 pm-onwards (when they open the floor up to everyone) every night because the law library is really just the top floor of the university's (incredibly small) library and Drexel has an enrollment problem and literally can't fit everyone in. I refuse to even apply here for law school for this exact reason.

Seriously, I wouldn't do it. These people have no respect and there is poor enforcement of the noise/talking issue, but they will take any morsel of food they see out of your hands.

Disclaimer: yeah, I'm a little biased.
as an undergrad you cant even get on our floor of the library
and we have a ton of completely closed off rooms within the library

i never had a problem with noise
I went to undergrad at Drexel as well and I have to agree that UGs couldn't not get into most of the Earle Macke building. The library rules have changed around back and forth a couple of times so that person may have experienced the policies. The top floor used started out as shared space, then became split into half shared/half law-only. Not sure what the policy is now but you state that it is completely law-only.

Drexel does have a huge space issue because the University is expanding it's population faster than it is expanding it's space, though it has been gaining an incredible amount of building space over the last 6-7 years. Frankly, while the campus isn't as beautiful when compared to the neighbor Penn, the law school has a nice modern look and the entire university is on the up and up. Worth a look.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:32 pm

wingedwolf wrote:Keep me posted (well TLS that is) about your decisions. I keep hovering back over my copy of USNEWS :roll: lol, but it's encouraging to see that others in the field believe Drexel has a shot at becoming something greater. Plus, tbh with shaky employment stats everywhere except the T14, I feel like a free education (for those of us planning to work hard and keep the 2.95) might be worth it. That would allow me to take almost any job and begin to accrue an income instead of paying off debt (I'm excluding considering COL as debt (for now) bc I haven't gotten that far).
Ok, does Drexel have some kind of reputation for attracting a student body with a specific group of slackers? Serious question, because the bold was this thread's 4th or 5th reference to someone keeping their scholly because, apparently unlike other people, you're planning to "work hard." Or maybe this is just typical 0L cluelessness, in which case... carry on.

Also can't help but SMH at lumping in a TTT's shaky job statistics with a T20's shaky job statistics, just because they're both outside the T14. There are degrees of suck.

All that probably crossed the line for a C/O thread, so... slowly backing away.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

csexton182

New

Post by csexton182 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:12 pm

If a typical 0L is clueless of what law school is going to be like, then why is it so atypical that students accepted to Drexel Law think that way too? Does it have something to do with the USNWR? I mean seriously, what else do 0'Ls have to go on except working hard?

No offense, but I think you're being condescending to us because you're currently in or finished with law school and you know it's not just about the "hard work". Trust me, we're quite aware of that too because we have to hear how much more it is from people like yourself but we don't know why it's much more than just the work we put in because we aren't in yet. Hope that makes sense. I too believe this is inappropriate for a c/o thread, so I will refrain from posting about it. If you want to start a thread about it in another section, feel free.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:19 pm

csexton182 wrote:If a typical 0L is clueless of what law school is going to be like, then why is it so atypical that students accepted to Drexel Law think that way too?
Because I give TLSers the benefit of the doubt, given our access to good information, unlike "typical" 0Ls. Sorry to offend.

Of course I can sympathize with what it's like to not yet be in it, because I was there a couple of years ago. I made a debt/ranking choice that had the potential to be bad because I was sure of myself. It happened to work out for me; it doesn't work out for everyone. You know all this.

Like I said, I wouldn't have interjected, but it was the 4th or 5th comment along those lines, and I was concerned that the posters ITT somehow hadn't ventured out into the rest of TLS. Or that there is some sort of slacker contingent at Drexel. What do I know.

Keasbey

New

Post by Keasbey » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:36 pm

Anyone going to accepted students day this weekend?

Christinf01

New

Post by Christinf01 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:48 pm

Hey guys- I applied in October and am still stuck on being reviewed from 11/3..is this worth a call? not sure what's taking so long..

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

coffeeaddict

Bronze

Post by coffeeaddict » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:53 pm

Christinf01 wrote:Hey guys- I applied in October and am still stuck on being reviewed from 11/3..is this worth a call? not sure what's taking so long..

I think they are just slow. I'm still at File Complete since 12/3. RD

BullShitWithBravado

Bronze

Post by BullShitWithBravado » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:55 pm

phillygal wrote:
wingedwolf wrote:Just called the admissions office and they said we should all have our acceptance packets before the holidays! :D :D :D For those with a full scholarship, how are you guys weighing the decision of a free law education vs. a higher ranked school? Cheers!
Call me crazy, but even with lots of other acceptances and a 170 and 3.4(ivy) I'm still leaning toward Drexel. I switched my ED app at Penn to RD so I could give Drexel a shot. I got a Yes at GW, Richmond, Villanova, and Northeastern, but I know I can do well at Drexel and I know I'd love being there. The faculty is impressive and welcoming, the campus is great, their health law program is successful, and it's in my city. Yes, I'd have to seriously consider Penn, but right now I'm leaning Earle Mack!

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/phillygal
Unfortunately, there is no way for anyone to know how well they will do in law school because of the curve. If you have a full ride with no stipulations, then Drexel may not be a bad choice. The problem with stipulations is that many law schools section stack (I can't verify that Drexel does this, but I think it's safe to assume that any school that includes stipulations with its scholarships does this), which means that many students end up losing their scholarships.

Also, going to law school in Pennsylvania won't necessarily put you in a better position to get a job there. If you look at the schools that most partners and associates working in Big Law in Philly attended, many are from the T-14 (with many near the top of the T-14). There are many local students who go to higher ranked schools outside of Pennsylvania, but then go back to Philly for their 2L SA and permanent employment after graduation. It would probably be worthwhile to research Pennsylvania firms, government offices, non-profit organizations, etc. to see whether or not they tend to hire from regional schools before committing.

This may be a useful link, if you haven't looked at this already:http://www.top-law-schools.com/drexel-university.html

csexton182

New

Post by csexton182 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:09 pm

I should be at the accepted students weekend. I'm excited to check it out and see what all the hype is about.

Keasbey

New

Post by Keasbey » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:18 pm

BullShitWithBravado wrote:
phillygal wrote:
wingedwolf wrote:Just called the admissions office and they said we should all have our acceptance packets before the holidays! :D :D :D For those with a full scholarship, how are you guys weighing the decision of a free law education vs. a higher ranked school? Cheers!
Call me crazy, but even with lots of other acceptances and a 170 and 3.4(ivy) I'm still leaning toward Drexel. I switched my ED app at Penn to RD so I could give Drexel a shot. I got a Yes at GW, Richmond, Villanova, and Northeastern, but I know I can do well at Drexel and I know I'd love being there. The faculty is impressive and welcoming, the campus is great, their health law program is successful, and it's in my city. Yes, I'd have to seriously consider Penn, but right now I'm leaning Earle Mack!

Unfortunately, there is no way for anyone to know how well they will do in law school because of the curve. If you have a full ride with no stipulations, then Drexel may not be a bad choice. The problem with stipulations is that many law schools section stack (I can't verify that Drexel does this, but I think it's safe to assume that any school that includes stipulations with its scholarships does this), which means that many students end up losing their scholarships.

Also, going to law school in Pennsylvania won't necessarily put you in a better position to get a job there. If you look at the schools that most partners and associates working in Big Law in Philly attended, many are from the T-14 (with many near the top of the T-14). There are many local students who go to higher ranked schools outside of Pennsylvania, but then go back to Philly for their 2L SA and permanent employment after graduation. It would probably be worthwhile to research Pennsylvania firms, government offices, non-profit organizations, etc. to see whether or not they tend to hire from regional schools before committing.

This may be a useful link, if you haven't looked at this already:http://www.top-law-schools.com/drexel-university.html

Do you work in Philadelphia or go to school at Drexel? I work in the Philly law market and can say with certainty that an overwhelming majority of the lawyers went to Philly area law schools. I come across far more temple/Rutgers/nova/widener than anywhere else. Including penn. I haven't looked at many of the big firm (Reed smith/Morgan Lewis) partners, most successful midsize firm partners come out of temple Rutgers Camden and widener (TTTT!). Furthermore, most lawyers I speak to reccomend Drexel over Nova because the coop program is valuable in their eyes and many expect it to be neck and neck with nova and Rutgers in the near future. Finally, stop shitting on people for having positive attitudes. We know we're not in law school yet, but unless you have concrete evidence or first hand Philadelphia experience, we can do without the general wisdom.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

amf728

New

Post by amf728 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:58 pm

I also received the full-ride scholarship (Is that what we are considering the $1,315 per credit scholy?) and I was originally going to withdraw my application, however after reading this thread, I am reconsidering. Does anyone know what the job prospects are like outside of Philly? I have no intention of working there, so I'm not sure it makes sense for me to attend Drexel even if it's for free.

BullShitWithBravado

Bronze

Post by BullShitWithBravado » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:54 pm

Keasbey wrote:
BullShitWithBravado wrote:
phillygal wrote:

Do you work in Philadelphia or go to school at Drexel? I work in the Philly law market and can say with certainty that an overwhelming majority of the lawyers went to Philly area law schools. I come across far more temple/Rutgers/nova/widener than anywhere else. Including penn. I haven't looked at many of the big firm (Reed smith/Morgan Lewis) partners, most successful midsize firm partners come out of temple Rutgers Camden and widener (TTTT!). Furthermore, most lawyers I speak to reccomend Drexel over Nova because the coop program is valuable in their eyes and many expect it to be neck and neck with nova and Rutgers in the near future. Finally, stop shitting on people for having positive attitudes. We know we're not in law school yet, but unless you have concrete evidence or first hand Philadelphia experience, we can do without the general wisdom.
I'm not from Philly, don't attend Drexel, and don't go to school in Pennsylvania, but if you look at the bolded statement above you'll see that when I mentioned the T-14 I was specifically referring to Big Law. I'm sure you know much more about Philly mid-size firms than I do, since I never actually looked at mid-size Philly firms. I came across information regarding Big Law Philly firms from my own research before OCI and from classmates who are going into Philly Big Law this summer.

You mentioned that a lot of partners and associates in the Philly area went to Rutgers, Camden, Widener, etc. but do you know when they were hired? You can't exactly look at their success and expect the same level of success if they were hired during the boom years. Also, do you know what a student's class rank needs to be to get a firm job and whether they need to be on LR? Odds are, anyone who's been hired recently was in the top 10% of their class with LR.

Not sure why you think I'm "shitting" on people. It's not like I was putting Drexel down. I'm aware of the fact that a lot of people who get into higher ranked schools decide to attend lower ranked schools to take advantage of scholarships. Also, for what it's worth, I think that the law school ranking system is ridiculous and contrived. That being said, law school rankings matter simply because of the fact that many recruiters care. I'm just passing along the same information that others passed on to me when I was making the difficult choice of which law school to attend. I'm not being negative, just informative. If you want to take what I said it in a negative way, then that's your decision. Also, if you want "concrete evidence," feel free to search the plethora of TLS threads, newspaper articles, websites, etc. that all mention how hard it is for newly minted law grads to get jobs.

Christinf01

New

Post by Christinf01 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:08 pm

checking in..application received and file complete since 11/2...waiting.. and waiting..

nick417

Bronze

Post by nick417 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:17 pm

Anyone going to the campus visit on Saturday, please post about your experience. I am unable to attend this Saturday but would love to know how it goes.

As for those who are waiting to hear back from Drexel, that is very surprising. I applied to Drexel in November and received an acceptance email in less than a week. Not sure what could be taking so long now.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”