WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bananasplit19

Silver

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Post by bananasplit19 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:42 pm

cusenation wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:Cuse how do you know all this?
I think other people could potentially speak on this stuff as well, but there's not a lot of WUSTL re-applicants. Once you've seen how they do admissions/waitlists/schollys, you get a sense of their priorities. Crowing could probably relate to some of the stuff I'm saying. I was also a splitter last year (and this year i guess) so I understand the anxiety.

I also spent a lot of time looking into WUSTL when I was deciding whether to take a year off (i.e. their ranking rise, job placement, faculty bios etc..). They're really trying to transition from a regional powerhouse into a national school. And you can tell from their CSO efforts. Maintaining a good ranking is probably perceived as instrumental to this end-goal. And yes medians probably dropped everywhere last year, but WUSTL is the only T-20 school that completely dropped out of the top 20. There's no way that they don't making reclaiming their place in the T-20 a major priority. Good LSAT scores (like yours) are vital to achieving that.
Syracuse, I haven't been following up on TLS as much, how's your cycle been going? Is WUSTL still a possibility for you, or are you on to bigger and greater things?

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:47 pm

Do you think that they're trying to go after applicants that have ties in coastal markets to boost their "national reach?" I know it's all speculation, but it's interesting.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:50 pm

bananasplit19 wrote: Syracuse, I haven't been following up on TLS as much, how's your cycle been going? Is WUSTL still a possibility for you, or are you on to bigger and greater things?
PMed you 8)
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Do you think that they're trying to go after applicants that have ties in coastal markets to boost their "national reach?" I know it's all speculation, but it's interesting.
I actually never thought about that. It makes sense though.."national reach" requires placing kids on the coasts, and ties are virtually required to place anywhere outside of NYC. I'm not sure if they think that far ahead, but I could see it haha. FWIW I'm from Boston

andy261

Bronze

Post by andy261 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:51 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Do you think that they're trying to go after applicants that have ties in coastal markets to boost their "national reach?" I know it's all speculation, but it's interesting.
They are. During my phone interview with Dean Laybold, I asked about job placement on the West Coast since I have ties here (CA and WA). She said they're actively trying to bolster their presence nationally and especially in CA. They also recently started an externship program in NY, similar to what they already have in DC.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:52 pm

andy261 wrote:
They are. During my phone interview with Dean Laybold, I asked about job placement on the West Coast since I have ties here (CA and WA). She said they're actively trying to bolster their presence nationally and especially in CA. They also recently started an externship program in NY, similar to what they already have in DC.
Hmmmm, DC, Boston, Florida, California. I hope they throw extra money at those of us from traditionally tough-to-crack markets!

(It's really too early to speculate on this, though. If I start dwelling on scholly money now, I'll be crazy by the time mid-February rolls around.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ks2499

Bronze

Post by ks2499 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:54 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
andy261 wrote:
Hmmmm, DC, Boston, Florida, California. I hope they throw extra money at those of us from traditionally tough-to-crack markets!

(It's really too early to speculate on this, though. If I start dwelling on scholly money now, I'll be crazy by the time mid-February rolls around.)
I have ties to Boston and FL, as well as NYC, so I'm hoping you're right about scholarships!

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:56 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
HAS ANYONE SEEN MY SCHOLARSHIP? I'VE GOT A SCHOLARSHIP. YOU TOOK IT, DIDN'T YOU? GIVE IT BACK!

soccerfreak

Bronze

Post by soccerfreak » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:37 pm

I would be shocked...if anything, I'd imagine they would be less interested since you are less likely to get a job in your home market, thus would drag down employment numbers. In reality, it's almost entirely your GPA and LSAT.

In other news, an FYI for those coming in for ASD, bar review Thursday night will be at Sasha's on Shaw.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:44 pm

soccerfreak wrote:
I would be shocked...if anything, I'd imagine they would be less interested since you are less likely to get a job in your home market, thus would drag down employment numbers. In reality, it's almost entirely your GPA and LSAT.

In other news, an FYI for those coming in for ASD, bar review Thursday night will be at Sasha's on Shaw.
Not that i'm supporting the theory that WUSTL discriminates based on market ties, but I'd disagree with you just because most legal jobs are located on the coasts. It's bad everywhere, but it's REALLY bad in the Midwest. The coasts, while hurting, are still much better off than elsewhere. So an applicant from DC/San Fran/Boston is more likely to get a job back home than an applicant from non-major metro area is likely to get a job anywhere else. Same when you switch out the latter applicant with an applicant from the Midwest.

When you compare the size of firms on the coasts versus elswhere, and consider where most govt jobs* are located, the conclusion strongly favors the coasts.

Anyway, damn I really wish I had decided to go to ASD this weekend...Damn TFA and their interview schedule.

*Federal govt jobs. State/Local govt jobs obviously vary

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:48 pm

Wait, okay, so who is going to ASD this week? Should we plan a little TLS gathering afterwards, or should I just plan on cruising the gay bars alone on Friday night?

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:03 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Wait, okay, so who is going to ASD this week? Should we plan a little TLS gathering afterwards, or should I just plan on cruising the gay bars alone on Friday night?
Lulz I'll be there - it's been pretty freaking cold the past few days and there's snow out so be prepared and all that.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:07 pm

Crowing wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Wait, okay, so who is going to ASD this week? Should we plan a little TLS gathering afterwards, or should I just plan on cruising the gay bars alone on Friday night?
Lulz I'll be there - it's been pretty freaking cold the past few days and there's snow out so be prepared and all that.
I resent all of you.

andy261

Bronze

Post by andy261 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:09 pm

Crowing wrote:
I'll be there. Just a couple more hours of work until a 4 day weekend 8)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JesusChrist

Bronze

Post by JesusChrist » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:16 pm

I was all but packed but things changed. I'm going later in Feb.

Xs20

Silver

Post by Xs20 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:20 pm

I'll still be at ASD, but my plans changed and I probably won't be able to hit any bars that night.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:29 pm

Is it weird that I'm really excited about the weather? I haven't seen any snow in years, and this whole "Hey, it's 80º errrryday!" thing is getting really old.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:32 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Is it weird that I'm really excited about the weather? I haven't seen any snow in years, and this whole "Hey, it's 80º errrryday!" thing is getting really old.
LOL

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Unoriginalist

Bronze

Post by Unoriginalist » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:32 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Is it weird that I'm really excited about the weather? I haven't seen any snow in years, and this whole "Hey, it's 80º errrryday!" thing is getting really old.
Haha, it's not so bad as long as you don't have to drive with all the maniacs in it!

I wish I could make it down to ASD this week, but, alas, I'm visiting later on in Feb (right before Marti Gras, come to think..). You guys who go will have to let us know how ASD goes!

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:34 pm

Watch this bitch get SAD his first winter there.

Xs20

Silver

Post by Xs20 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:34 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:I'm really excited about the weather

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:35 pm

Unoriginalist wrote:
Haha, it's not so bad as long as you don't have to drive with all the maniacs in it!
I won't be old enough to rent a car for a few more months, so I'll be taking transit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:35 pm

danitt wrote:
Watch this bitch get SAD his first winter there.
:lol: :lol:

My grandma retired from Florida to Alaska, so I think crazy just runs in the family.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:30 pm

Last edited by wannabelawstudent on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andy261

Bronze

Post by andy261 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:34 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:What if I just show up to admitted students day and act like I'm admitted. Will that increase or decrease my chances?
Where did the panda dog go?!?!

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:41 pm

Last edited by wannabelawstudent on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”