WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dykstaab

New

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Post by dykstaab » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:17 am

Unoriginalist wrote:So, out of curiosity, how confident are people feeling that they'll end up attending WashU?
For me it will def be conditional on the scholly offer. Hoping they hand out as much (or more) money as they did last cycle

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:19 am

dykstaab wrote:
Unoriginalist wrote:So, out of curiosity, how confident are people feeling that they'll end up attending WashU?
For me it will def be conditional on the scholly offer. Hoping they hand out as much (or more) money as they did last cycle
Unless TFA offers me a position in their Chicago corps...I'm gonna be at WUSTL in the Fall. Spent a full year weighing my goals/options/finances and doing research, and I'm comfortable making this decision.

Of course I'm assuming that I'll get at least as much scholly as last year

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:23 am

dykstaab wrote:
This makes sense to me.

dougfunny

New

Post by dougfunny » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:26 am

Is there any chance of any sort of financial aid outside of scholarships? I know it is much easier to get for undergrad, but a lot of the applications I did mentioned filling out a fafsaand I haven't seen much around here on it.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:27 am

dougfunny wrote:Is there any chance of any sort of financial aid outside of scholarships? I know it is much easier to get for undergrad, but a lot of the applications I did mentioned filling out a fafsaand I haven't seen much around here on it.
"financial aid" usually just means a mixed bag of federal loans, all of which have different interest rates. But there's a cap on how much money you can receive from the lower interest loans, so the majority of funds come from GradPLUS loans, which have a pretty high interest rate.

I've seen some T14's allude to need-based grants, but anecdotal evidence suggests that those are extremely rare
Last edited by DoveBodyWash on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:28 am

dougfunny wrote:Is there any chance of any sort of financial aid outside of scholarships? I know it is much easier to get for undergrad, but a lot of the applications I did mentioned filling out a fafsaand I haven't seen much around here on it.
WUSTL is typically so generous with the merit aid that I literally have never heard anyone talk about need-based aid. To be honest, those are pretty much one and the same from the school's perspective, but WUSTL seems to be more ready to admit that fact.

And yeah, what cuse said about loans.

dykstaab

New

Post by dykstaab » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:30 am

Ok this probably is not the right place to post the following but because we are discussing financial aid:

Do most schools accept outside scholarships in addition to what they offer you or do they just subtract what outside amount one recieves from the merit offer? Trying to figure out if it is worth my time to apply for outside aid.

JadeWest

Bronze

Post by JadeWest » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:32 am

dykstaab wrote:Ok this probably is not the right place to post the following but because we are discussing financial aid:

Do most schools accept outside scholarships in addition to what they offer you or do they just subtract what outside amount one recieves from the merit offer? Trying to figure out if it is worth my time to apply for outside aid.
always try for free money

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:33 am

JadeWest wrote:
dykstaab wrote:Ok this probably is not the right place to post the following but because we are discussing financial aid:

Yeah, of course they'll accept it. Money is money, bro. Just because they're willing to lay out money in pursuit of their goals for the cycle doesn't mean they wouldn't prefer more outside money to further pad their ridiculous coffers.
Last edited by shntn on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:33 am

Outside aid isn't handled by the school. What happens is that schools will send you a financial aid letter which includes any loans and scholarship if you've been offered. You then have the choice of accepting or denying each loan/award. Or you can request additional or less from each. So if you receive outside scholarship, you would theoretically just reduce one of the loan amounts equal to your outside award. Outside scholarships go to you directly, Merit-awards from schools are just subtractions from your tuition bill.

Once loans are disbursed, you would just use your award (which was sent directly to you) to pay for your tuition along with your loans

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:34 am

shntn wrote:
JadeWest wrote:

Yeah, of course they'll accept it. Money is money, bro.
The caution is warranted, though. That's how it works for a lot of need-based aid in undergrad. "Oh, you wrote 2500 words and got a $1,000 per semester scholarship? We'll just take $1,000 off your grant…"

dykstaab

New

Post by dykstaab » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:35 am

shntn wrote:
JadeWest wrote:

Haha yeah I know. Maybe I did not phrase the question very well. Let's say I receive 15k from school X and a 2k outside scholly. Will school X now make their offer 13k, so I remain with 15k total?

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:35 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
shntn wrote:
JadeWest wrote:

The caution is warranted, though. That's how it works for a lot of need-based aid in undergrad. "Oh, you wrote 2500 words and got a $1,000 per semester scholarship? We'll just take $1,000 off your grant…"
Yeah I wouldn't tell the school about your outside awards. That's not their business to know anyway, you don't have to disclose that. Just reduce your requested loan amounts

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:36 am

cusenation wrote:
Yeah I wouldn't tell the school about your outside awards. That's not their business to know anyway, you don't have to disclose that. Just reduce your requested loan amounts
I thought you did have to disclose that.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:36 am

dykstaab wrote:
shntn wrote:
JadeWest wrote:

Haha yeah I know. Maybe I did not phrase the question very well. Let's say I receive 15k from school X and a 2k outside scholly. Will school X now make their offer 13k, so I remain with 15k total?
Nope. It's like if your parents are paying for part of tuition. Would the school reduce your scholarship cuz your parents are helping you out? For all intents and purposes, outside awards are the same as your own money.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:37 am

cusenation wrote: Nope. It's like if your parents are paying for part of tuition. Would the school reduce your scholarship cuz your parents are helping you out? For all intents and intensive purposes, outside awards are the same as your own money.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:37 am

shntn wrote:
cusenation wrote:
You do? I had no idea, i always thought outside aid was beyond the purview of the school. But even if you disclosed, I can't imagine they'd reduce your scholarship..

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dykstaab

New

Post by dykstaab » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:39 am

Do most schools accept outside scholarships in addition to what they offer you or do they just subtract what outside amount one recieves from the merit offer? Trying to figure out if it is worth my time to apply for outside aid.[/quote]

always try for free money[/quote]
Yeah, of course they'll accept it. Money is money, bro.[/quote]

Haha yeah I know. Maybe I did not phrase the question very well. Let's say I receive 15k from school X and a 2k outside scholly. Will school X now make their offer 13k, so I remain with 15k total?[/quote]

Nope. It's like if your parents are paying for part of tuition. Would the school reduce your scholarship cuz your parents are helping you out? For all intents and purposes, outside awards are the same as your own money.[/quote]

I see. I know for one outside scholly from my undergrad, they send the money to the actual law school I will be attending...so not sure how the law scool would look at that. Maybe I'll give each financial aid office a call. Thanks for the help, everyone.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:39 am

cusenation wrote:
shntn wrote:
cusenation wrote:
You do? I had no idea, i always thought outside aid was beyond the purview of the school. But even if you disclosed, I can't imagine they'd reduce your scholarship..
My guess (and it's really just a guess. You should check with each school) is that you have to disclose it if you're taking need-based aid, which technically loans are aid. It will be subtracted from your total package, but only from the need based (loan) side of the ledger.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:41 am

cusenation wrote:
shntn wrote:
cusenation wrote:
As sunny said, that does happen for undergrad at least. Though I seriously doubt WUSTL would go through the effort of reducing a merit award on account of a (probably small) outside scholly, not when they're using merit aid to more or less woo the candidates they want.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:42 am

shntn wrote:
cusenation wrote:
shntn wrote:
cusenation wrote:
As sunny said, that does happen for undergrad at least. I doubt WUSTL would go through the effort of reducing a merit award on account of a (probably small) outside scholly, not when they're using merit aid to more or less woo the candidates they want.
+1

Ah I see, I stand corrected! But agree...if WUSTL reduces your aid, it will be from the need-based side. No way WUSTL reduces your merit aid, it would defeat the primary purpose of offering awards in the first place (to woo you to come)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dykstaab

New

Post by dykstaab » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:43 am

shntn wrote:
cusenation wrote:
shntn wrote:
cusenation wrote:
As sunny said, that does happen for undergrad at least. Though I seriously doubt WUSTL would go through the effort of reducing a merit award on account of a (probably small) outside scholly, not when they're using merit aid to more or less woo the candidates they want.
Valid point. Let's hope they "woo" the hell out of us. Fulls for everyone!

Rory19

Bronze

Post by Rory19 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:46 am

Are the scholarship offers going to be by snail mail?

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:46 am

Rory19 wrote:Are the scholarship offers going to be by snail mail?

Nope, email

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:47 am

I can say with almost 100% certainty that, based on their financial aid page that it will not be subtracted from merit aid.
WUSTL wrote: The School of Law has compiled a list of scholarships and loans available to law school students. These sources are possible alternatives to the funding available through Washington University. Since none of these financial aid sources are associated with Washington University, we cannot guarantee the existence or availability of the scholarships and loans included in this list. For more information on the scholarships and loans listed, please contact the applicable organizations. We also encourage you to do some research on your own by contacting associations in your city or state, employers or organizations with which you or your family may have ties. Any outside aid you receive, no matter the amount, will help reduce the amount of loans you might otherwise need to borrow.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”