WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
shntn

Platinum

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Post by shntn » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:24 pm

Xs20 wrote:
shntn wrote:
Xs20 wrote:Also, apparently sunny is TOO COOL for the c/o 2016 facebook group. :roll:
Don't you people wait until you're sure to join those things?

(I don't.)
I'm like 90% sure, so I figured I might as well. Haven't joined any others.
Oh I'm in like five. But I join and then promptly never go back, so I don't see the point. I have you guys!

AMilfordMan

Bronze

Post by AMilfordMan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:25 pm

Xs20 wrote:
This is a good point though. I feel like for people at WUSTL who are from Chicago and want to go back, they probably do better than Illinois kids. But that's hard to measure, and Illinois IS really highly regarded around here (many people I know haven't even heard of WUSTL), so who knows.

But this won't even be an issue when WUSTL drops a fat wad on all of us.
This is true. In central Illinois, 2.5 hours from STL, I constantly have to explain this WashU is neither in Seattle nor (sometimes) American's Washington College of Law.

Xs20

Silver

Post by Xs20 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:25 pm

shntn wrote:
Xs20 wrote: I'm like 90% sure, so I figured I might as well. Haven't joined any others.
Oh I'm in like five. But I join and then promptly never go back, so I don't see the point. I have you guys!
(only posting in here because sunny)

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:26 pm

Xs20 wrote:
shntn wrote:
Xs20 wrote: I'm like 90% sure, so I figured I might as well. Haven't joined any others.
(only posting in here because sunny)
BOOM

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:26 pm

AMilfordMan wrote:
This is true. In central Illinois, 2.5 hours from STL, I constantly have to explain this WashU is neither in Seattle nor (sometimes) American's Washington College of Law.
That's really weird. WashU is a well known school anywhere I've ever lived.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Xs20

Silver

Post by Xs20 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:31 pm

AMilfordMan wrote:
Xs20 wrote: (many people I know haven't even heard of WUSTL),
Exactly. My undergrad is in central Illinois, and friends I've told that I'm probably going to Wash U were either like "holy shit, really?" or "wat"

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:32 pm

Xs20 wrote:
AMilfordMan wrote:
Xs20 wrote: (many people I know haven't even heard of WUSTL),
Exactly. My undergrad is in central Illinois, and friends I've told that I'm probably going to Wash U were either like "holy shit, really?" or "wat"
Luckily none of this will matter when you're going for a job.

lukertin

Silver

Post by lukertin » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:32 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:I only recently came back to Facebook. I'm not quite ready to jump into a group that would obviously out me. I'll wait until I'm ready to quit TLS (yes, that day is rapidly approaching)
Nobody ever really quits TLS.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:34 pm

shntn wrote:
AMilfordMan wrote:
Same here. Maybe it's because WashU's undergrad program is so well-regarded here, but in the Northeast I've never had to explain or clarify WashU.

(Unless it's followed by Michigan, Penn, Virginia, California, or Chicago, all schools that begin with "University of _________" are considered TTT in the suburbs of Greater Boston :D)

But to second Sunny, lay prestige won't really matter beyond superficial considerations. The people that need to know will know that UIUC and WashU are both good schools

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:34 pm

lukertin wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:I only recently came back to Facebook. I'm not quite ready to jump into a group that would obviously out me. I'll wait until I'm ready to quit TLS (yes, that day is rapidly approaching)
Nobody ever really quits TLS.
A girl can dream.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:36 pm

cusenation wrote:
shntn wrote:
AMilfordMan wrote:
Same here. Maybe it's because WashU's undergrad program is so well-regarded here, but in the Northeast I've never had to explain or clarify WashU.
I think that's it. Literally, I've never met someone who hadn't at least heard of WashU. Most people are like "Oh wow, great school!" Typically referring to the undergrad, but still.

andy261

Bronze

Post by andy261 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:40 pm

shntn wrote:
cusenation wrote:
shntn wrote:
AMilfordMan wrote:
I think that's it. Literally, I've never met someone who hadn't at least heard of WashU. Most people are like "Oh wow, great school!" Typically referring to the undergrad, but still.
On the West Coast, almost everyone assumes I'm talking about UW when I mention Wash U.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:44 pm

omg I have to hear my coworkers blast the nancy grace-jodi arias trial and NOT hear back from WUSTL today I may freak out and reach my breaking point.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:52 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:omg I have to hear my coworkers blast the nancy grace-jodi arias trial and NOT hear back from WUSTL today I may freak out and reach my breaking point.
lol it's just turning 1pm over there in St. Louis, still 4 hours left!

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:20 pm

shntn wrote:
cusenation wrote:
shntn wrote:
AMilfordMan wrote:
Don't forget its med school! It's pretty well known in Texas (among those who know there are other schools besides HYS and the Texas universities).

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:22 pm

Pretty much everybody in St. Louis holds Wash U in really high regard, which you would think would be obvious but isn't the case with certain other prestigious universities in their home cities...

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:33 pm

andy261 wrote: On the West Coast, almost everyone assumes I'm talking about UW when I mention Wash U.
Followed by a "what about UCLA/USC comment" usually.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

soccerfreak

Bronze

Post by soccerfreak » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:35 pm

shntn wrote:
AMilfordMan wrote:
Wash U is kind of a weird animal in the St. Louis area.

I grew up within 40 miles of the school, and until I met a Wash U transfer in my undergrad, had never known someone who attended the school.

It's hard to explain to people, especially from the Northeast, but in this area no one even thinks about going to prestigious/ivy league schools. While Wash U is a fantastic school (undergrad is top 15, med school is top 5), most of the students are from other parts of the country. Sure, some of the smartest kids in St. Louis go to Wash U, but at the high school I graduated from (small) I was the only one who even considered attending. Despite it being a great school, it's definitely not integrated into the community, or at least people's minds as much as other local schools like SLU or Mizzou. Locals know it's considered a "really good" school, but they probably know nothing about it other than that.

andy261

Bronze

Post by andy261 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:38 pm

dproduct wrote:
andy261 wrote: On the West Coast, almost everyone assumes I'm talking about UW when I mention Wash U.
I usually get "what about Berkeley?" :(

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:51 pm

andy261 wrote:
dproduct wrote:
I usually get "what about Berkeley?" :(
Bay area trolls versus LA trolls. I wonder what people in Bakersfield say? Probably just, do you want meth with that?

danielr

Bronze

Post by danielr » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:52 pm

soccerfreak wrote:
shntn wrote:
AMilfordMan wrote:

I grew up within 40 miles of the school, and until I met a Wash U transfer in my undergrad, had never known someone who attended the school.

It's hard to explain to people, especially from the Northeast, but in this area no one even thinks about going to prestigious/ivy league schools. While Wash U is a fantastic school (undergrad is top 15, med school is top 5), most of the students are from other parts of the country. Sure, some of the smartest kids in St. Louis go to Wash U, but at the high school I graduated from (small) I was the only one who even considered attending. Despite it being a great school, it's definitely not integrated into the community, or at least people's minds as much as other local schools like SLU or Mizzou. Locals know it's considered a "really good" school, but they probably know nothing about it other than that.
You're right-on about that. Wash U doesn't have the same kind of presence as SLU (or Mizzou for undergrad, which is weird since it's in Columbia) or even UMSL. But I think that has more to do with its selectivity, size and cost. For the St. Louis metro area upper-class, Wash U is probably the only choice for a local college/university. For everyone else--and St. Louis has a very broad middle-class and lower-class--UMSL and Mizzou are more affordable and perhaps even more desirable since it is something with which they can relate. SLU is usually considered by these groups, I think, as pretty prestigious and Wash U is like the local Ivy League.

Of course, law schools are more independent from their associated undergraduate institutions, so they require a different calculus altogether. But the common reputation of Wash U is definitely connected to these factors.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:56 pm

danielr wrote:
You're right-on about that. Wash U doesn't have the same kind of presence as SLU (or Mizzou for undergrad, which is weird since it's in Columbia) or even UMSL. But I think that has more to do with its selectivity, size and cost. For the St. Louis metro area upper-class, Wash U is probably the only choice for a local college/university. For everyone else--and St. Louis has a very broad middle-class and lower-class--UMSL and Mizzou are more affordable and perhaps even more desirable since it is something with which they can relate. SLU is usually considered by these groups, I think, as pretty prestigious and Wash U is like the local Ivy League.

Of course, law schools are more independent from their associated undergraduate institutions, so they require a different calculus altogether. But the common reputation of Wash U is definitely connected to these factors.
It's always nice to remind myself that the rest of the country isn't as prestige-whorish as the coasts 8)
Describing my undergrad as a "school near Cornell" to Asian adults for four years was so much fun!

The WashU/SLU relationship sounds similar to the dynamic between Emory/UGA wherein UGA is held in very high regard among locals and Emory is basically just a Northeastern school in Atlanta and is thus sort of a non-entity in the minds most true southerners.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:02 pm

danielr wrote:
soccerfreak wrote:
shntn wrote:
AMilfordMan wrote:

Heh, I guess this is all credited. The greater STL area has a pop of like 3M so there's quite a bit of diversity just within that area. I grew up in west county which is the upper-class part of town. Few of my friends even considered SLU. Those of us who wanted full rides went to Mizzou or Truman, and the rest went to Wash U or just left for the coasts. I think I was like top 1-2% in my HS class and honestly most of those people viewed Wash U UG as a safety lol but also as the only acceptable in-state option.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:00 pm

So, I just filed my taxes and completed FAFSA, and I got really overzealous and started filling out WUSTL's financial aid form. I'm pretty sure I can't accurately complete it until I know what kind of scholarship I'm looking at, but I'm curious: How much, if any, need-based aid does WUSTL award?

Xs20

Silver

Post by Xs20 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:11 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote: I'm not quite ready to jump into a group that would obviously out me. I'll wait until I'm ready to quit TLS (yes, that day is rapidly approaching)
+1, even though I'm already pretty much outed if someone cared enough to figure it out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”