WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MKC

Diamond

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Post by MKC » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:11 am

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote: I'm calling bullshit on this. You only have to "prove your competence and ability" if someone has accused you of something. If you have a spotless record, you don't have to prove anything.
You also have to provide them your entire work history since you were 18 in most states. You also have to report everywhere you've lived. You also have to report financial debts and obligations. Sure, maybe if you're a K-JD who lived with mom and dad and never had a job or a credit card, you'll have an easy time with C&F, but for most people you're going to have to report more info than you might be comfortable with.
We were speaking specifically about criminal matters. Examining your credit, work, and residence history for evidence of responsible behavior is understandable. I'm saying specifically that criminal matters that have been dismissed by a court should be exempt from examination. If the court vindicated you, it should be over with, state bar or otherwise.

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:44 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote: I'm calling bullshit on this. You only have to "prove your competence and ability" if someone has accused you of something. If you have a spotless record, you don't have to prove anything.
You also have to provide them your entire work history since you were 18 in most states. You also have to report everywhere you've lived. You also have to report financial debts and obligations. Sure, maybe if you're a K-JD who lived with mom and dad and never had a job or a credit card, you'll have an easy time with C&F, but for most people you're going to have to report more info than you might be comfortable with.
We were speaking specifically about criminal matters. Examining your credit, work, and residence history for evidence of responsible behavior is understandable. I'm saying specifically that criminal matters that have been dismissed by a court should be exempt from examination. If the court vindicated you, it should be over with, state bar or otherwise.
If you negotiate a smaller settlement on a large amount of debt, you still have to deal the repercussions of that for years. If you are exonerated by the court, it is still legitimate for an organization like the bar to request information on it. Reporting the information won't preclude you from admission to the bar. Even murderers have been admitted to the bar before.

If jdmonkey were rejected by Emory because of the C&F addendum, I would hazard to guess that it had less to do with the incidents that occurred and more to do with the way they were explained.

Xs20

Silver

Post by Xs20 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:32 am

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:43 am

I think some schools err on the side of caution on their C&F questions, but I'm not sure why jdmonkey's situation would warrant a rejection from Emory. Overall, I tend to agree with merkin (a first!), and that it seems wrong to ask about situations where you were not charged especially since I doubt any state bar cars about that.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:54 pm

There may be a reason Emory rejected you other than your C&F issues. YP?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jdmonkey

Bronze

Post by jdmonkey » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:04 pm

TheThriller wrote:There may be a reason Emory rejected you other than your C&F issues. YP?
Last edited by jdmonkey on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:19 pm

jdmonkey wrote:
TheThriller wrote:There may be a reason Emory rejected you other than your C&F issues. YP?
Absolutely. There could have been many other factors that led to me being rejected. Didn't like my personal statement, didn't add diversity to the class, didn't like my letters of rec, I have no ties to the south. I'm not upset at all that I was rejected. I was just defending myself from the ppl. who said that I must have committed a fraud at WUSTL. I was 100% honest in my apps and there was no fraud...period.
No one said you commited fraud bro.

jdmonkey

Bronze

Post by jdmonkey » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:21 pm

AMilfordMan wrote:
nba101790 wrote:
jdmonkey wrote:Put down my deposit. Got 129k scholarship, but rejected by Emory. I think this may be due to my discipline addendum which was quite long (Emory asks about everything lol).

This doesn't make sense.

So your numbers, sans any disciplinary addendum, got you a huge scholarship from an equivalently ranked school, and yet the presence of this addendum got you rejected from Emory?

The smell test would dictate that something's not right here. I"m curious about the nature of what you did, and how it--assuming it's something significant--wasn't a part of the WUSTL C&F questions.
This is an important question. Hopefully it isn't something that would keep you from being admitted to the bar someday. I would hate for someone to sneak a C&F issue past admission only to find out 3 years later that they can't be a lawyer.
This crap pissed me off, but whatever I'm not talking about it anymore.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:24 pm

You're making that post way more about YOU than it really is bro. We know nothing about you. All you said was I have an issue and was denied at emory. It could be a speeding ticket to mass murder for all we know. His point about not wanting someone to get through law school only to be denied to sit for the bar is a good point tho.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:45 pm

TheThriller wrote:
jdmonkey wrote:
TheThriller wrote:As a private institution they have a right to ask you whatever they want
Then why can't Goldman Sachs ask have you ever been arrested or detained? They are a private institution too.
jdmonkey wrote:
TheThriller wrote:As a private institution they have a right to ask you whatever they want
I believe their rights only extend to things relevant to your performance in law school and passing the bar. Again under your logic they could ask you how many people have you slept with. Which again would be absurd.
It's not my logic, its how the world works dude. In essence they could ask you that question. BYU could ask you that question for example.

You are also missing the fact that GS is a for profit enterprise while Emory is a 501c3 (non-profit). This basic financial classification has a lot to do with gov't support and the qualifiction for subsidies (bailout aside).
Disagree--you're missing the core issue. Tax election status has absolutely nothing to do with employment-related questions or an employer's right to ask such questions during the hiring process. I can tell you with certainty that we do not advise our non-profit clients to treat labor laws or hiring, or sexual harassment matters in any way differently than we would advise a for-profit employer to treat the same issues. GS = employment. Emory = voluntary disclosure you take part in while applying to an educational institution. You elect to make such disclosures because you are opting into their process of application, which, as Wannabe pointed out, included a vested interest for them (and frankly, in the applicant's as well), that you might be able to pass C&F/sit for the bar.

And now I will step back. Emory, similar to a way that any employer might, can reject you for any reason or no reason. The reason that they truly reject you for might be illegal, but, as long as they cite no reason, you would never know. So it's all just conjecture.

[end armchair speculation and weird hypo now]

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:52 pm

Also, does anybody remember the person from ASW who had to explain getting arrested for mooning a truck driver with his buddies when he was in college? That dude was awesome and the story was hilarious. Talk about youthful indiscretions! HA!

danielr

Bronze

Post by danielr » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:33 pm

RedGiant wrote:Also, does anybody remember the person from ASW who had to explain getting arrested for mooning a truck driver with his buddies when he was in college? That dude was awesome and the story was hilarious. Talk about youthful indiscretions! HA!
It's both funny and tragic that someone would get arrested (and presumably charged(?)) for something like that. I also find it extremely odd that any trucker would take such umbrage at seeing a bare ass while on the road to the point that they would call the police. You'd think they would welcome such diversions....

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:34 pm

RedGiant wrote:Also, does anybody remember the person from ASW who had to explain getting arrested for mooning a truck driver with his buddies when he was in college? That dude was awesome and the story was hilarious. Talk about youthful indiscretions! HA!
Yeah that was hilarious!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dstars823

Bronze

Post by dstars823 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:01 pm

im sad i had to miss ASW cause of work... anyone hear anything on scholly negotiations yet? I sent mine in about a week ago and i went ahead and deposited

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:05 pm

They told me two days ago that they will "certainly get back to me" before May 1st.

dstars823

Bronze

Post by dstars823 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:23 pm

i dont mind losing the depo money id just like to know where im moving relatively soon

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:29 pm

dstars823 wrote:i dont mind losing the depo money

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:04 pm

Gah not only do I have to do a bunch of homework for my undergrad classes but then I got to go to a sorority meeting later.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:11 pm

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Dat corporate law spotlight :D

LawSchoolAFROBarbie

New

Post by LawSchoolAFROBarbie » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:37 pm

couple questions:
whats average cost of rent? would rather have my own apartment but open to a roommate
How hard is it to find an apt.? im coming straight from joburg and want to know if i can find an apartment over the internet or if i have to do this all in person.
do i need a car in st. louis?
im sorry if this sounds ridiculous but ive never actually lived on my own sooooooo this whole moving to a different country/city is intense.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:43 pm

LawSchoolAFROBarbie wrote:couple questions:
whats average cost of rent? would rather have my own apartment but open to a roommate
How hard is it to find an apt.? im coming straight from joburg and want to know if i can find an apartment over the internet or if i have to do this all in person.
im sorry if this sounds ridiculous but ive never actually lived on my own sooooooo this whole moving to a different country/city is intense.
no problem,

1. Finding a studio, one-bedroom, or two-bedroom pretty easy. Two-bedroom apts are the most cost effective. Rent can be anywhere from 550-800 for a studio/one-bedroom and 300-700 per person for a two-bedroom depending on where you look. Take the ranges with a grain of salt, I've only been apt hunting for a few weeks and I"m sure there will be properties on both lower and higher ends of the spectrum

2. there's a mixture of local landlords/owners and apartment complexes. The landlords tend to be a little cheaper but they're more unpredictable as far as finding them. Many of them don't even begin to post listings for August move-in's until June or July

3. You can do it over the internet, they can mail/fax you the lease and show you any relevant pictures of the property

4. Ermm from the sounds of it it's not absolutely necessary to have a car, although it would make things a lot easier to have one. There is public transit that's free for WashU students.
Last edited by DoveBodyWash on Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:19 pm

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:27 pm

sublime12089 wrote:
LawSchoolAFROBarbie wrote:couple questions:

I am going to try to live alone without a car too, at least initially.

If I were you, and you have never lived alone, I would start trying to cook for yourself/your family/your friends as much as you can in the next few months and pay attention to some of the small things your parents do as far as grocery shopping, paying bills, and day to day shit.

I have lived by myself for the past two years (well, my cats are there too) and absolutely love it, and some people do, but really think about it, because I know some that have tried it and complain of getting lonely. But you can always rescue a cute new friend from a shelter! :D
Keep in mind that your friends/classmates are probably gonna be okay with organizing group grocery runs and giving you the occasional ride to the airport and stuff like that

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:33 pm

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:44 pm

Sent an email today confirming that they received my scholarship negotiation email I sent a few weeks ago that I hadn't heard a response about. No response to this email as well.

WUSTL just went from #1 to #4. Pretty frustrating.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”