American University Class of 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jstr00az

New

Re: American University Class of 2016

Post by jstr00az » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:57 am

CJ007 wrote:
cnk wrote:has anyone heard back w/ a decision recently? still at complete since 11/26 then 12/14...
Still waiting for decision

Sent 11/16/12
Received 11/19/12
Complete 11/30/12
Update 12/14/12

I researched the top IP law firms in the country, and TONs of AU grads work for them in the DC offices. This gives me a little more confidence about job prospects coming out of American despite all the recent unemployment talk and statistics. There's always hope.
You are standing there with the ability to draw something like $250,000 in federally subsidized loans that are not dischargeable, and you are ripe for the picking. This is money going to straight to American - do not pass go. And your comment is "There's always hope..."

American has the worst employment statistics of any school in the 70, and it is one of the most expensive. You are a fool if you think "there's always hope" and that therefore that justifies taking on a quarter million dollars in debt to go to this trap school.

msowins

New

Post by msowins » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:38 am

Complete as of 12/07...still no decision...

Doesn't this seem like a freakishly long wait? I thought I'd have most decisions by this time and I'm still waiting on a few :x

njpark

New

Post by njpark » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:19 pm

1/6 - Applied
1/7 - Application Received
1/16 - Application Complete
1/28 - Application Complete

I hope this means I'll be receiving a decision soon...

Wyse

New

Post by Wyse » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:51 pm

msowins wrote:Complete as of 12/07...still no decision...

Doesn't this seem like a freakishly long wait? I thought I'd have most decisions by this time and I'm still waiting on a few :x
It is a long time though I have been waiting a little longer for a decision from Maryland. Think they are all trying to see if they get more apps.

njpark

New

Post by njpark » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:08 pm

Accepted today via status checker and e-mail!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bearcat88

New

Post by Bearcat88 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:10 pm

Also accepted by email

BBB

New

Post by BBB » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:27 pm

Congrats!

doglover0702

Bronze

Post by doglover0702 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:28 pm

Stats for the lucky accepted ones today?

ashawnt

New

Post by ashawnt » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:03 pm

I applied in mid December and my status update has not changed since 01/04/2013 :( Im slightly above median g.p.a and above 25th below median lsat....do you think there just reviewing their top applicants first that are above both medians?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:17 pm

ashawnt wrote:I applied in mid December and my status update has not changed since 01/04/2013 :( Im slightly above median g.p.a and above 25th below median lsat....do you think there just reviewing their top applicants first that are above both medians?
I wouldn't say that. I am a 151/3.41 AA URM. Applied 12/20 got accepted around second week of January. If you go to my LSN (in my profile) it has that precise dates.

Morticiaroxanne

New

Post by Morticiaroxanne » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:27 pm

Applied 1//14.
Application still says Complete. seems like it's going to take a while

njpark

New

Post by njpark » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:52 pm

doglover0702 wrote:Stats for the lucky accepted ones today?

164/3.1
Non-URM

1/6 - Applied
1/7 - Application Received
1/16 - Application Complete
1/28 - 2nd Complete & Accepted

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:20 pm

jstr00az wrote:
CJ007 wrote:
cnk wrote:has anyone heard back w/ a decision recently? still at complete since 11/26 then 12/14...

Sent 11/16/12
Received 11/19/12
Complete 11/30/12
Update 12/14/12

I researched the top IP law firms in the country, and TONs of AU grads work for them in the DC offices. This gives me a little more confidence about job prospects coming out of American despite all the recent unemployment talk and statistics. There's always hope.
You are standing there with the ability to draw something like $250,000 in federally subsidized loans that are not dischargeable, and you are ripe for the picking. This is money going to straight to American - do not pass go. And your comment is "There's always hope..."

American has the worst employment statistics of any school in the 70, and it is one of the most expensive. You are a fool if you think "there's always hope" and that therefore that justifies taking on a quarter million dollars in debt to go to this trap school.
On this page:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=175

there is notice of rules that you're violating, an example of someone who was banned for violating those rules, and discussion of those rules. Unbelievable that you'd arguing about attendance under those circumstances. If anyone sees this guy trying to dissuade others from attendance in this thread, report it and link my post, and the dude will be banned. Again.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:05 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
ashawnt wrote:I applied in mid December and my status update has not changed since 01/04/2013 :( Im slightly above median g.p.a and above 25th below median lsat....do you think there just reviewing their top applicants first that are above both medians?
I wouldn't say that. I am a 151/3.41 AA URM. Applied 12/20 got accepted around second week of January. If you go to my LSN (in my profile) it has that precise dates.
I went complete on 12/7 with a 167 3.69 and am still waiting so who even knows.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CJ007

New

Post by CJ007 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:41 pm

dailygrind wrote:
jstr00az wrote:
CJ007 wrote:

Sent 11/16/12
Received 11/19/12
Complete 11/30/12
Update 12/14/12

On this page:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=175

there is notice of rules that you're violating, an example of someone who was banned for violating those rules, and discussion of those rules. Unbelievable that you'd arguing about attendance under those circumstances. If anyone sees this guy trying to dissuade others from attendance in this thread, report it and link my post, and the dude will be banned. Again.
Thank you dailygrind. I also reported these posts. No one should ever make other people feel bad for applying to schools.

Good luck to all of you applying to American!

Wyse

New

Post by Wyse » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:52 pm

blueapple wrote:
I went complete on 12/7 with a 167 3.69 and am still waiting so who even knows.
Looking at the other schools you applied to you have a pretty good shot at getting in somewhere else. Don't know if you are dying to get into American, (though if you are good luck though with those numbers you don't need it) but I'm sure they figure you will get into a higher ranked school and not choose them. I think they are going after the middle because they are more likely to attend.

UAX09

New

Post by UAX09 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:04 pm

I graduated from AU undergrad. I'm happy to answer any questions regarding AU or the area. Keep in mind that AU Law is moving to a different location and won't be at its current location in a few years.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:08 pm

UAX09 wrote:AU grad here. I'm happy to answer any questions regarding AU or the area. Keep in mind that AU Law is moving to a different location and won't be at its current location in a few years.

Oops, I forgot to mention that I was an undergraduate student at AU. I'm attending law school elsewhere.
Hey,
What's a few years? 3? 5? Moving to a better/worse location?

How was your experience there? Found a job when you left?

What do you think about all the massive criticism AU gets on TLS?

Thanks!!

UAX09

New

Post by UAX09 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:46 pm

I graduated from the undergraduate program in 2010. In terms of location, AU Law will be moving to Tenley campus. I lived on Tenley campus for a year. I really like the location. It's about a five minute walk to the metro station and is quite safe. There is a shuttle from the metro to Tenley which runs every 10 minutes or so.

AU will be renovating on of the biggest buildings at Tenley to use as the law school. There are several buildings on Tenley campus which will also be renovated. The entire campus will be used for the law school. The current law school is somewhat small for the student population. The move will increase the space available for students. I'm actually excited about the move, being an AU alum. I really liked my undergrad experience at AU. AU is in an excellent location and surrounded by embassies. Safety isn't an issue so long as you use common sense.

A few teaching assistants from the law school helped out with my undergrad classes. They seemed to like their law school experience and spoke intelligently about the class subject matter. Keep in mind that most of my experiences where pre-recession and the early part of the recession.

I can't speak for the job opportunities at AU as I am a law student at WUSTL. The criticism that AU gets is understandable. Keep in mind that AU is the third best school in DC. There are three other law schools behind AU. Georgetown, GW and AU all have student bodies in excess of 1,200 students. Three schools are pumping out 1,500 graduates a year. DC is a magnet for T14 students from all around the country. DC is within driving distance to T50 schools such as George Mason, William and Mary and University of Maryland. It is absolutely ridiculous for GT, GW and AU to have such large student bodies. These numbers will not go down any time soon. Those three schools are relatively poor. Out of those schools, GW is the richest with about 1.3 billion dollars in endowment. AU has a measly 400 million dollar endowment. Large student bodies help fund these law schools which are largely tuition driven.

You are not competing with GT and GW students. You will be competing with students from all around the country. AU Law is a great school with excellent professors. TLS makes AU seem like a shitty school when in reality it's not. You will get an excellent education at AU. However, you have to be mindful that unless you have great grades at AU, or even GW or GT for that matter, the chances for biglaw are slim. If you get below median grades at any DC school, you are screwed. Below median GT students have it easier because of its T14 status, but there are still many unemployed GT grads.

My advice: Don't go to any DC school unless you understand that DC is arguably the most competitive legal market in the country and willing to compete in the DC market against thousands of recently law graduates from all around the country.

I have no doubt you will get an excellent education at AU. TLS criticism of AU's academic quality is unwarranted, but the warnings about job prospects should be heeded if you are applying to AU and GW.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:47 pm

UAX09 wrote:I graduated from the undergraduate program in 2010. In terms of location, AU Law will be moving to Tenley campus. I lived on Tenley campus for a year. I really like the location. It's about a five minute walk to the metro station and is quite safe. There is a shuttle from the metro to Tenley which runs every 10 minutes or so.

AU will be renovating on of the biggest buildings at Tenley to use as the law school. There are several buildings on Tenley campus which will also be renovated. The entire campus will be used for the law school. The current law school is somewhat small for the student population. The move will increase the space available for students. I'm actually excited about the move, being an AU alum. I really liked my undergrad experience at AU. AU is in an excellent location and surrounded by embassies. Safety isn't an issue so long as you use common sense.

A few teaching assistants from the law school helped out with my undergrad classes. They seemed to like their law school experience and spoke intelligently about the class subject matter. Keep in mind that most of my experiences where pre-recession and the early part of the recession.

I can't speak for the job opportunities at AU as I am a law student at WUSTL. The criticism that AU gets is understandable. Keep in mind that AU is the third best school in DC. There are three other law schools behind AU. Georgetown, GW and AU all have student bodies in excess of 1,200 students. Three schools are pumping out 1,500 graduates a year. DC is a magnet for T14 students from all around the country. DC is within driving distance to T50 schools such as George Mason, William and Mary and University of Maryland. It is absolutely ridiculous for GT, GW and AU to have such large student bodies. These numbers will not go down any time soon. Those three schools are relatively poor. Out of those schools, GW is the richest with about 1.3 billion dollars in endowment. AU has a measly 400 million dollar endowment. Large student bodies help fund these law schools which are largely tuition driven.

You are not competing with GT and GW students. You will be competing with students from all around the country. AU Law is a great school with excellent professors. TLS makes AU seem like a shitty school when in reality it's not. You will get an excellent education at AU. However, you have to be mindful that unless you have great grades at AU, or even GW or GT for that matter, the chances for biglaw are slim. If you get below median grades at any DC school, you are screwed. Below median GT students have it easier because of its T14 status, but there are still many unemployed GT grads.

My advice: Don't go to any DC school unless you understand that DC is arguably the most competitive legal market in the country and willing to compete in the DC market against thousands of recently law graduates from all around the country.

I have no doubt you will get an excellent education at AU. TLS criticism of AU's academic quality is unwarranted, but the warnings about job prospects should be heeded if you are applying to AU and GW.
Thanks for the info! Very helpful!!

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:11 pm

UAX09 wrote:I graduated from the undergraduate program in 2010. In terms of location, AU Law will be moving to Tenley campus. I lived on Tenley campus for a year. I really like the location. It's about a five minute walk to the metro station and is quite safe. There is a shuttle from the metro to Tenley which runs every 10 minutes or so.

I can't speak for the job opportunities at AU as I am a law student at WUSTL. The criticism that AU gets is understandable. Keep in mind that AU is the third sixth best school in DC. There are three is one other law schools behind AU. Georgetown, GW and AU all have student bodies in excess of 1,200 students. Three schools are pumping out 1,500 graduates a year. DC is a magnet for T14 students from all around the country. DC is within driving distance to T50 schools such as George Mason, William and Mary and University of Maryland. It is absolutely ridiculous for GT, GW and AU to have such large student bodies. These numbers will not go down any time soon. Those three schools are relatively poor. Out of those schools, GW is the richest with about 1.3 billion dollars in endowment. AU has a measly 400 million dollar endowment. Large student bodies help fund these law schools which are largely tuition driven.

You are not competing with GT and GW students. You will be competing with students from all around the country. AU Law is a great school with excellent professors. TLS makes AU seem like a shitty school when and in reality it's not just that. You will get an excellent education at AU. However, you have to be mindful that unless you have great grades at AU, or even GW or GT for that matter, the chances for biglaw are slim. If you get below median grades at any DC school, you are screwed. Below median GT students have it easier because of its T14 status, but there are still many unemployed GT grads.

I have no doubt you will get an excellent education at AU. TLS criticism of AU's academic quality is unwarranted, but the warnings about job prospects should be heeded if you are applying to AU and GW any law school.
American ranks 6th out of 7 DC-area law schools at putting students into jobs as lawyers.

If you consider all schools nationally and then rank them by the percent of graduates employed in DC, American actually drops to 9th:

Third best by USNWR ranking or perceived "prestige" perhaps--but in terms of actually producing lawyers, American is a terrible place to attend.

As for the arguments that AU is a trash school, those are almost exclusively based on the high cost and terrible employment outcomes. One of the great bamboozlings of the law school industry (note: I didn't say education system) is that educational quality doesn't seem to diminish very much from one school to the next. Whether or not AU provides an "excellent" education is all relative, but it's employment outcomes are certainly clear cut.

American is fully deserving of the routine lambasting it receives on this forum, and absolutely no one should attend this school for any reason. They don't offer full tuition or even 50% tuition aid anymore, no matter what your numbers are. As you say they are an institution with a low endowment that relies on income from the student body. They couldn't care less about maintaining their USNWR ranking.

Read the notice linked below. This is not the place for debating which law schools are worth attending. Please refrain from further posts along these lines in this forum.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=146613

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nirvanah

New

Post by nirvanah » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:34 pm

^ i think the issue people are having with posts like yours is that the forum and this thread are not about this particular law school's "stats" after graduation. It's for peope who have applied/been admitted/waistlisted/rejected from this school. There are plenty of other forums on this board to discuss money. job placement etc etc. Maybe the people on this thread are independently wealthy, and dont mind paying sticker. Maybe they have full scholarships, maybe american is a university they can attend w/o having to sell their house, and move their families, etc etc. Maybe they just want to take a chance. Either way, this is not the right place for those stats and that type of talk.
Last edited by nirvanah on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kaytei

New

Post by Kaytei » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:08 pm

nirvanah wrote:^ i think the issue people are having with posts like yours is that the forum and this thread are not this particular law school's "stats" after graduation. It's for peope who have been applied/been admitted/waistlisted/rejected from this school. There are plenty of other forums on this board to discuss money. job placement etc etc. Maybe the people on this thread are independently wealthy, and dont mind paying sticker. Maybe they have full scholarships, maybe american is a university they can attend w/o having to sell their house, and move their families, etc etc. Maybe they just want to take a chance. Either way, this is not the right place for those stats and that type of talk.
Exactly. People come to this particular thread for information regarding the application process, not to be lectured at. When I post in a thread asking where I should attend, then you can regurgitate the same TLS argument against American.

Wyse

New

Post by Wyse » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:13 pm

Those stats are helpful but statistics mean nothing to the individual. The fact remains that there are those that have recently graduated from AU Law and have great job prospects. Get to the top of the class, make connections and you will get a good job coming out of American. No law school is a guarantee. Just because they have 70% employment doesn't mean u will be part of that majority. Also percentages can be misleading if you don't look at overall class size. If a school graduates 200 and employs 60% it isnt really the same as one that graduates 500 and employs 40%. But since people only look at those types of stats schools are shrinking classes to look prettier.

zbenson

New

Post by zbenson » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:14 pm

Wyse wrote:Those stats are helpful but statistics mean nothing to the individual. The fact remains that there are those that have recently graduated from AU Law and have great job prospects. Get to the top of the class, make connections and you will get a good job coming out of American. No law school is a guarantee. Just because they have 70% employment doesn't mean u will be part of that majority. Also percentages can be misleading if you don't look at overall class size. If a school graduates 200 and employs 60% it isnt really the same as one that graduates 500 and employs 40%. But since people only look at those types of stats schools are shrinking classes to look prettier.
This. +1. Finally.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”