Villanova 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kjones0127

New

Re: Villanova 2016

Post by kjones0127 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:02 pm

zoomzoom88 wrote:In via phone call today
Congrats! :mrgreen:

kjones0127

New

Post by kjones0127 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:27 pm

And I got an email from admissions with scholarship info around 3 PM EST.
Just to let everybody know that they're starting to release that info.

joshuajsmith

New

Post by joshuajsmith » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:47 pm

I got a waitlist email around 10:30 am. Was previously a "hold."

msowins

New

Post by msowins » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:30 pm

joshuajsmith wrote:I got a waitlist email around 10:30 am. Was previously a "hold."
Same here! Pretty disappointed, I assumed I would get in...Guess you never can really assume.

zoomzoom88

Silver

Post by zoomzoom88 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:44 pm

20000 a yr

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OscarVeal

New

Post by OscarVeal » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:47 pm

zoomzoom88 wrote:20000 a yr
Did you get that info via email or snail mail?

zoomzoom88

Silver

Post by zoomzoom88 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:50 pm

Email

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:36 am

Been under review since 12/21... Hopefully soon...

phlmar

New

Post by phlmar » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:01 am

fingers crossed for some movement today.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

elc414

New

Post by elc414 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:15 pm

In via phone call today! Woo!

cartejul

New

Post by cartejul » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:58 pm

Accepted via phone call today!

158/3.36/non URM
Applied 12/21, complete 1/3

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:40 pm

In via phone this morning!

scaredredpanda

New

Post by scaredredpanda » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:14 pm

Congrats to all the new admits!

I got my scholly offer emailed to me yesterday. $30K/year with a 2.0 GPA requirement. I would also be matched with a faculty and an alumni mentor in the area of law in the area of law in which I am interested. Also, guaranteed registration in certain specialty courses. I think that the mentor and guaranteed registration sound like great opportunities, and they are unique among my law school offers thus far, but I would still be paying almost $10K/year in tuition. After getting a full ride from Penn State and almost full rides from Wake and William and Mary, I don't know if Villanova would be worth the extra money.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:54 pm

scaredredpanda wrote:Congrats to all the new admits!

I got my scholly offer emailed to me yesterday. $30K/year with a 2.0 GPA requirement. I would also be matched with a faculty and an alumni mentor in the area of law in the area of law in which I am interested. Also, guaranteed registration in certain specialty courses. I think that the mentor and guaranteed registration sound like great opportunities, and they are unique among my law school offers thus far, but I would still be paying almost $10K/year in tuition. After getting a full ride from Penn State and almost full rides from Wake and William and Mary, I don't know if Villanova would be worth the extra money.
It's not. Either get a full ride or go elsewhere.

elc414

New

Post by elc414 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:57 pm

beach_terror wrote:

Honest question, is this still the case if Scaredredpanda knows they want to work in Philly?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:32 am

elc414 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

Honest question, is this still the case if Scaredredpanda knows they want to work in Philly?
If he/she has strong ties to Philly, then yeah. If not, then coming to Philly may not be the best idea anyway.

scaredredpanda

New

Post by scaredredpanda » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:42 pm

beach_terror wrote:
elc414 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

If he/she has strong ties to Philly, then yeah. If not, then coming to Philly may not be the best idea anyway.
I've been working in Philly for 3.5 years and have lived here for 7.5 years including UG, so my strongest connection is with my current employer (a federal agency), where I am a paralegal. I would like to return to my current employer as an attorney after I finish law school, and my employer has implied that this would be possible as long as I meet their GPA requirement, do internships, and there is funding to hire me. I also have some connections to attorneys in private practice and to the Philly DA's office, so if the job I want doesn't work out, I could probably find some other type of employment. My main concern is avoiding a ton of debt since my employer doesn't offer loan repayment. I am also considering attending Temple in the evening and working part-time, but I have to see if Temple offers me any money. If not, I may try to negotiate with Villanova to see if they'll increase my scholarship. I really have no desire to leave PA for law school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:47 pm

In with the Dean's Merit Scholarship (full tuition for three years; 2.0 stip)!

elc414

New

Post by elc414 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:04 pm

Last edited by elc414 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:10 pm

scaredredpanda wrote: I've been working in Philly for 3.5 years and have lived here for 7.5 years including UG, so my strongest connection is with my current employer (a federal agency), where I am a paralegal. I would like to return to my current employer as an attorney after I finish law school, and my employer has implied that this would be possible as long as I meet their GPA requirement, do internships, and there is funding to hire me. I also have some connections to attorneys in private practice and to the Philly DA's office, so if the job I want doesn't work out, I could probably find some other type of employment. My main concern is avoiding a ton of debt since my employer doesn't offer loan repayment. I am also considering attending Temple in the evening and working part-time, but I have to see if Temple offers me any money. If not, I may try to negotiate with Villanova to see if they'll increase my scholarship. I really have no desire to leave PA for law school.
Yeah then those are significant ties. I went straight through but have lived in the area my entire life. Ties are important, and a lot of class mates had trouble at OCI and on interviews trying to articulate why they want to be in Philly.

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:25 pm

elc414 wrote:
magp90 wrote:In with the Dean's Merit Scholarship (full tuition for three years; 2.0 stip)!
Congrats! I just got the e-mail as well! Yay Nova! :)
Thank you!! Congratulations to you too!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

elc414

New

Post by elc414 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:37 pm

beach_terror wrote:
scaredredpanda wrote: I've been working in Philly for 3.5 years and have lived here for 7.5 years including UG, so my strongest connection is with my current employer (a federal agency), where I am a paralegal. I would like to return to my current employer as an attorney after I finish law school, and my employer has implied that this would be possible as long as I meet their GPA requirement, do internships, and there is funding to hire me. I also have some connections to attorneys in private practice and to the Philly DA's office, so if the job I want doesn't work out, I could probably find some other type of employment. My main concern is avoiding a ton of debt since my employer doesn't offer loan repayment. I am also considering attending Temple in the evening and working part-time, but I have to see if Temple offers me any money. If not, I may try to negotiate with Villanova to see if they'll increase my scholarship. I really have no desire to leave PA for law school.
Yeah then those are significant ties. I went straight through but have lived in the area my entire life. Ties are important, and a lot of class mates had trouble at OCI and on interviews trying to articulate why they want to be in Philly.

Thanks for the response ScaredRedPanda and Beach_Terror. I'm Philly born and raised and also have been working in the area for five years. I'm accepted to a T20, with a good chance for a few more acceptances in the T30 range. But I really want to be in Philly, which is why I asked.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:43 pm

elc414 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

Thanks for the response ScaredRedPanda and Beach_Terror. I'm Philly born and raised and also have been working in the area for five years. I'm accepted to a T20, with a good chance for a few more acceptances in the T30 range. But I really want to be in Philly, which is why I asked.
I'm a 3L here right now and things are very bad for anyone not in the top 15-20% of the class. No signs of improvement either, so don't bank on it. By very bad, I mean likely/high-likely of no legal employment at graduation. There are 220 kids in my class, that's something like 175 not getting a job in the legal industry when we walk. Just as a preface, nobody outside of that class rank range, AFAIK, is getting interviews. Maybe 30 or 40 will snag something after graduation, but that's still a lot of unemployed/not employed in law. If you want to work in Philly, going elsewhere and maintaining ties might be a smart thing to consider.

I'm not trying to be doomy/gloomy - just trying to let you all know what it's like right now. I don't want to bog down the thread with everyone being excited, so you all are free to PM to follow up if you're so inclined. FWIW, there's a 90% chance I'll be employed at graduation.

elc414

New

Post by elc414 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:39 am

beach_terror wrote: I'm a 3L here right now and things are very bad for anyone not in the top 15-20% of the class. No signs of improvement either, so don't bank on it. By very bad, I mean likely/high-likely of no legal employment at graduation. There are 220 kids in my class, that's something like 175 not getting a job in the legal industry when we walk. Just as a preface, nobody outside of that class rank range, AFAIK, is getting interviews. Maybe 30 or 40 will snag something after graduation, but that's still a lot of unemployed/not employed in law. If you want to work in Philly, going elsewhere and maintaining ties might be a smart thing to consider.

I'm not trying to be doomy/gloomy - just trying to let you all know what it's like right now. I don't want to bog down the thread with everyone being excited, so you all are free to PM to follow up if you're so inclined. FWIW, there's a 90% chance I'll be employed at graduation.
PMing you.

penguinbrah

New

Post by penguinbrah » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:38 pm

161/3.8 ...waitlisted lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”