University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gregfootball2001

Silver

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Post by gregfootball2001 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:40 pm

iShotFirst wrote:
Dont worry about undergrads invading the law school, doesn't really happen at UGA.
Agreed. Didn't even know that building across the way was for undergrads until halfway through the semester. Never see em in the law school, and all food related events happen inside. Not a worry.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:21 pm

gregfootball2001 wrote:
iShotFirst wrote:
Dont worry about undergrads invading the law school, doesn't really happen at UGA.
Agreed. Didn't even know that building across the way was for undergrads until halfway through the semester. Never see em in the law school, and all food related events happen inside. Not a worry.
I've seen one a couple of times but it's RARE. I feel incredibly segregated from the undergrads. they need to be a law student to swipe in outside business hours so that helps a lot, too.

classiccitygirl

New

Post by classiccitygirl » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:52 am

Hi everyone! I just found this page I was accepted back in November. I want to create a facebook page for the group so we can get to know each other. Does anyone know how to do that? I think to create a group multiple people have to be facebook friends first...

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:11 am

classiccitygirl wrote:Hi everyone! I just found this page I was accepted back in November. I want to create a facebook page for the group so we can get to know each other. Does anyone know how to do that? I think to create a group multiple people have to be facebook friends first...
I don't think you need to be facebook friends to invite someone to join a group you've made, you just have to be able to see their profile. If you make it and give us the link we can join ourselves :)

Are you decided on UGA?

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:26 am

Next week should be scholarship notification week for all you regular decision applicants!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

patricksouthern

Bronze

Post by patricksouthern » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:56 am

BlueJeanBaby wrote:Next week should be scholarship notification week for all you regular decision applicants!
They had said it would be over the course of the first two weeks of February. What makes you think we'll all get to hear the first week?

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:57 am

patricksouthern wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:Next week should be scholarship notification week for all you regular decision applicants!
They had said it would be over the course of the first two weeks of February. What makes you think we'll all get to hear the first week?
Optimism, bro :).

patricksouthern

Bronze

Post by patricksouthern » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:42 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:
patricksouthern wrote:
Optimism, bro :).
Ah, that. Foreign concept to me at times.

lawhopeful10

Silver

Post by lawhopeful10 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:49 pm

Anyone think with the decrease in apps my 3.44 164 can get me first year in state tuition? I'm gonna try and negotiate for it if its not offered at first.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

classiccitygirl

New

Post by classiccitygirl » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:58 pm

https://www.facebook.com/UgaLawClassOf2016

For some reason it wouldn't let me create an actual group until I can add friends to the group- so I created a page so we have a place to start adding each other and getting to know each other! :)

JCGibson10

New

Post by JCGibson10 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:57 pm

lawhopeful10 wrote:Anyone think with the decrease in apps my 3.44 3.48 164 163 with military officer soft can get me first year in state tuition? I'm gonna try and negotiate for it if its not offered at first.
Stressin' haaaa..hopefully don't have to wait too much longer for a decision! BJB, I'm gonna try that optimism thing...

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:37 pm

JCGibson10 wrote:
lawhopeful10 wrote:Anyone think with the decrease in apps my 3.44 3.48 164 163 with military officer soft can get me first year in state tuition? I'm gonna try and negotiate for it if its not offered at first.
Stressin' haaaa..hopefully don't have to wait too much longer for a decision! BJB, I'm gonna try that optimism thing...
I have numbers close to yours so all I can say is.. ya shoulda applied ED! But seriously, it looks from right now that UGA is really trying to hold their 164 LSAT median. According to LSN, they pretty much accepted anyone with a 164 (regardless of GPA) last year, and I'm thinking since apps have declined this year, they are going to have to break into the 163s a bit more. Optimism seems like a good strategy here! :)
Also, according to LSN some new decisions came out yesterday. Movement!

KingsCup

Bronze

Post by KingsCup » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:55 pm

Somehow I still haven't gotten in yet, 2.8 167, been "under review" for about 2 months now. Probably won't go with my other schools now but its always nice to get in

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:58 pm

bgoodrick wrote:Somehow I still haven't gotten in yet, 2.8 167, been "under review" for about 2 months now. Probably won't go with my other schools now but its always nice to get in
Very strange. It seems UGA does not YP at all.

splitter165

New

Post by splitter165 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:10 pm

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I applied about a week and a half ago. I hadn't heard anything confirming receipt of my application until today when I received the link to register for the account....and then about 10 seconds later, an email congratulating me on my admission. Odd but certainly not complaining. I have a 165 and a 3.2 out of state. Spent the past 2 years out of undergrad at a corporate law firm in Palo Alto,CA and have good softs during undergrad as well. I suppose the combination of experience/ slightly higher than median lsat was enough to push things in my favor. Excited to visit Athens as I've heard nothing but great things. Huge R.E.M. fan so I have some landmark visiting to do :)

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

JCGibson10

New

Post by JCGibson10 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:54 am

BlueJeanBaby wrote:
JCGibson10 wrote:
I have numbers close to yours so all I can say is.. ya shoulda applied ED! But seriously, it looks from right now that UGA is really trying to hold their 164 LSAT median. According to LSN, they pretty much accepted anyone with a 164 (regardless of GPA) last year, and I'm thinking since apps have declined this year, they are going to have to break into the 163s a bit more. Optimism seems like a good strategy here! :)
Also, according to LSN some new decisions came out yesterday. Movement!
Thanks for rubbing it in, BJB... haha.

I do wish I would have applied ED... Unfortunately, I didn't know that I was going to Law School until mid-December when I got selected for this Army program called the Funded Legal Education Program (FLEP). I suppose I can't complain too much because with FLEP the Army is paying for tuition, continuning to pay me my salary while in Law School, and I have a guaranteed job as a JAG after graduation/passing the bar, so if I don't get in life will go on. I was thinking (hoping) that the military experience (including a tour in Afghanistan) and the guarantee of a job would help me outperform my numbers a bit.

UGA is by far my number one choice... I tried to make that clear in my PS, so hopefully that will help out a bit. I am kind of brainstorming/considering sending a LOCI and specifically saying that if offered admission I would withdraw all other applications immediately. Not sure if anyone has any thoughts/advice on that idea? Feedback would be greatly appreciated. I am leaning toward waiting it out, though, and letting the cycle work itself out for a few more weeks. I know I am overthinking/overanalyzing it.

Congrats to all the new admits! bgoodrick and splitter165, y'all are definitely in based on the data.

bgoodrick, I noticed on LSN more than a few splitters with similar numbers to you that had long waits for decision in previous cycles but all eventually got in.

splitter165, you'll love Athens. I'm not originally from Georgia, but when I moved down south and first visited Athens, I fell in love. Just a very cool college town.

JCGibson10

New

Post by JCGibson10 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:45 am

According to this article, UGA Law has seen applications drop by 21% this cycle as compared to this time last year.

Should be good news for those of us still waiting and those of you hoping for enticing scholly offers...

http://www.dailyreportonline.com/PubArt ... 0101043805

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:37 am

JCGibson10 wrote:
Thanks for rubbing it in, BJB... haha.

I do wish I would have applied ED... Unfortunately, I didn't know that I was going to Law School until mid-December when I got selected for this Army program called the Funded Legal Education Program (FLEP). I suppose I can't complain too much because with FLEP the Army is paying for tuition, continuning to pay me my salary while in Law School, and I have a guaranteed job as a JAG after graduation/passing the bar, so if I don't get in life will go on. I was thinking (hoping) that the military experience (including a tour in Afghanistan) and the guarantee of a job would help me outperform my numbers a bit.

UGA is by far my number one choice... I tried to make that clear in my PS, so hopefully that will help out a bit. I am kind of brainstorming/considering sending a LOCI and specifically saying that if offered admission I would withdraw all other applications immediately. Not sure if anyone has any thoughts/advice on that idea? Feedback would be greatly appreciated. I am leaning toward waiting it out, though, and letting the cycle work itself out for a few more weeks. I know I am overthinking/overanalyzing it.

Congrats to all the new admits! bgoodrick and splitter165, y'all are definitely in based on the data.

bgoodrick, I noticed on LSN more than a few splitters with similar numbers to you that had long waits for decision in previous cycles but all eventually got in.

splitter165, you'll love Athens. I'm not originally from Georgia, but when I moved down south and first visited Athens, I fell in love. Just a very cool college town.
Sorry :\. And I did NOT know about that program! My husband is in the Army-- I didn't know there was a possibility I could bring him to law school with me!! Jk he would never sit still long enough for the LSAT haha. I would call them! I've called and bugged UGA about a handful of different things and they are SO nice. Call and tell them about your program and tell them that you really wished you had done ED, and ask if there is some way they could extend the deadline for you or something like that (the answer will almost surely be no, but it expresses interest. They were telling me how they are pretty lenient about their ED program..). I hope you come to UGA so there will at least be one person who understands my mumbo-jumbo about my husband's deployments, etc.!

2012Lsatscore

Silver

Post by 2012Lsatscore » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:32 pm

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

JCGibson10

New

Post by JCGibson10 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:36 am

I took BJB's advice, called Admissions explaining my situation and asked for some guidance. They said that I am too late to be considered an ED applicant, but that I should submit a LOCI to be added to my file. I imagine you could do the same for your situation 2012Lsat. I would definitely call and ask for their advice. The admissions staff is very helpful and friendly. Good Luck!
2012Lsatscore wrote:"Additional materials may be submitted at any time and will be considered in evaluating applicants for scholarship awards."

I read this in the e-mail that was sent to us a while back. Do you guys think that a LOCI-like submission and updated resume would qualify as appropriate "additional materials"? The reason I ask is because UGA is my most preferred second choice school. I really do favor it over all the other schools I applied to, except UA. However, I cannot financially justify going there over other schools that have practically given me full rides. Would it help to explain this situation to them?

tco1084

New

Post by tco1084 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:44 pm

Has anyone else received an additional letter from UGA encouraging them to choose Georgia Law? It came in the mail about a week after the "congrats on being admitted, here is a bumper sticker" letter...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sdmelzer

New

Post by sdmelzer » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:42 pm

tco1084 wrote:Has anyone else received an additional letter from UGA encouraging them to choose Georgia Law? It came in the mail about a week after the "congrats on being admitted, here is a bumper sticker" letter...
Yep received that today, actually.

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:30 am

sdmelzer wrote:
tco1084 wrote:Has anyone else received an additional letter from UGA encouraging them to choose Georgia Law? It came in the mail about a week after the "congrats on being admitted, here is a bumper sticker" letter...
I got one pretty soon after being accepted and I was ED... so I can assure them I will be choosing Georgia... :)

tco1084

New

Post by tco1084 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:53 am

BlueJeanBaby wrote:
sdmelzer wrote:
I got one pretty soon after being accepted and I was ED... so I can assure them I will be choosing Georgia... :)
Would replying with a letter saying you plan on attending UGA (and/or paying your first deposit) affect your chance of scholarships in any way? On the one hand, I could see them deciding to give a scholarship to someone "on the fence" over someone who is planning to attend UGA regardless, though both have similar numbers. On the other hand, I could see them choosing to offer more scholarships to those who plan on attending, as opposed to wasting offers on those who have not expressed specific interest in attending, and who will most likely attend another school. But I guess, at this point, since scholarship info will be released in a few weeks, it is probably best just to keep quiet until you know what they are going to offer.

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:07 pm

tco1084 wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:
Would replying with a letter saying you plan on attending UGA (and/or paying your first deposit) affect your chance of scholarships in any way? On the one hand, I could see them deciding to give a scholarship to someone "on the fence" over someone who is planning to attend UGA regardless, though both have similar numbers. On the other hand, I could see them choosing to offer more scholarships to those who plan on attending, as opposed to wasting offers on those who have not expressed specific interest in attending, and who will most likely attend another school. But I guess, at this point, since scholarship info will be released in a few weeks, it is probably best just to keep quiet until you know what they are going to offer.
I asked if ED applicants were still considered for scholarships and the answer was yes, so I suppose so. I would be insanely surprised, though, if they threw a single penny at me considering I've already paid both seat deposits and will be there either way in August with an out-of-state tuition check...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”