Stetson Class of 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
penelope1

New

Re: Stetson Class of 2016

Post by penelope1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:39 pm

what other schools are you looking at?
Waiting to hear from UF, FSU, Miami. Got the apps out late

scottyc66

Silver

Post by scottyc66 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:59 pm

penelope1 wrote:what other schools are you looking at?
Waiting to hear from UF, FSU, Miami. Got the apps out late
I took the December LSAT so mine went out late too. I'm the same as you and Emory as my reach.
Emory probably isn't worth it at sticker though, but they gave me a waiver so I threw one their way

penelope1

New

Post by penelope1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:20 pm

Yes, considered Emory after getting waiver, but at $46,000/year, decided no.
Love the Stetson area....happy to be leaving Gainesville.

scottyc66

Silver

Post by scottyc66 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:44 pm

penelope1 wrote:Yes, considered Emory after getting waiver, but at $46,000/year, decided no.
Love the Stetson area....happy to be leaving Gainesville.
Ya I think FSU is becoming the better option over UF for state law schools. Doesn't have the massive tuition hikes every year and more generous with the $$$, plus pretty similar job #s.

houseofny

New

Post by houseofny » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:18 pm

Was accepted with a small scholarship. I haven't visited the school.

Any graduate/law student housing on or near campus?

I don't know the area at all, and don't want to have to rent an apartment on my own in an area where I don't know anyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chomp

New

Post by chomp » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:59 pm

penelope1 wrote:Got accepted last week with $30,000/year schol, 50% stip. Very excited! Is anyone going to Scholars Retreat next month?

I got a full ride, but didn't hear anything about Scholar's Retreat. Haha maybe they didn't like me enough to send an invite my way? How did you hear about it?

nmlf16

Bronze

Post by nmlf16 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:48 pm

chomp wrote:
penelope1 wrote:Got accepted last week with $30,000/year schol, 50% stip. Very excited! Is anyone going to Scholars Retreat next month?

I got a full ride, but didn't hear anything about Scholar's Retreat. Haha maybe they didn't like me enough to send an invite my way? How did you hear about it?
Postcard.

penelope1

New

Post by penelope1 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:22 am

chomp wrote:

An invitation came in the mail about a week after the acceptance email. It's supposed to be a great event!

shawty18ga

Bronze

Post by shawty18ga » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:29 am

houseofny wrote:Was accepted with a small scholarship. I haven't visited the school.

I don't know the area at all, and don't want to have to rent an apartment on my own in an area where I don't know anyone.
Stetson has some dorm rooms that are on campus and really cheap. They also own some houses right by campus. Oh and they also own a small apartment complex like half a mile from campus.

ETA: If anybody ends up coming to Stetson and wants to know if a house/apartment you're looking at is in a good area, just send me a PM. A lot of the area around Stetson is pretty dumpy, but not really dangerous. There are nice areas, too. You can be in a nice area and go one block and be in a dumpy area.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

penelope1

New

Post by penelope1 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:50 pm

shawty18ga wrote:
houseofny wrote:Was accepted with a small scholarship. I haven't visited the school.

Stetson has some dorm rooms that are on campus and really cheap. They also own some houses right by campus. Oh and they also own a small apartment complex like half a mile from campus.

ETA: If anybody ends up coming to Stetson and wants to know if a house/apartment you're looking at is in a good area, just send me a PM. A lot of the area around Stetson is pretty dumpy, but not really dangerous. There are nice areas, too. You can be in a nice area and go one block and be in a dumpy area.

The students there seem happy, compared to the law students I know at UF. They seem stressed.
Being 5 minutes from the beach probably doesn't hurt.

scottyc66

Silver

Post by scottyc66 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:25 pm

penelope1 wrote:The students there seem happy, compared to the law students I know at UF. They seem stressed.
I would think the people at UF are more used to academic success and with the law school curve they all can't continue to be. I'm sure you know the type of person who usually goes to UF.

shawty18ga

Bronze

Post by shawty18ga » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:13 pm

scottyc66 wrote:
penelope1 wrote:The students there seem happy, compared to the law students I know at UF. They seem stressed.
I would think the people at UF are more used to academic success and with the law school curve they all can't continue to be. I'm sure you know the type of person who usually goes to UF.
If a 161/3.59 is academic success. Better than Stetson, but hardly stellar and far behind many other state flagship schools in other states.

scottyc66

Silver

Post by scottyc66 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:34 pm

shawty18ga wrote:
scottyc66 wrote:
If a 161/3.59 is academic success. Better than Stetson, but hardly stellar and far behind many other state flagship schools in other states.
Obviously it isn't incredible, but only ~20% (probably less) will get that GPA in law school so most are in for a rude awakening and it's shocking to them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chomp

New

Post by chomp » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:03 pm

I went in to the admissions office last week and everyone was sooo nice! I'll definitely be headed that way for that scholars weekend thing. Anyone else planning on going?

I'm really excited. I've driven past there a million times but never really got on campus. It's beautiful and seems like a really nice change if pace.

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:24 am

Hey Guys! Not really planning to apply to Stetson, but I got an invitation packet in the mail today.

This is the only school that gave me the courtesy of including a coupon to Rally's! Lol. Is there one nearby? I was also wondering if maybe the dean is a franchise holder...??? :D

Did anyone else get this?

Bubbles20

New

Post by Bubbles20 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:15 pm

chomp wrote:I went in to the admissions office last week and everyone was sooo nice! I'll definitely be headed that way for that scholars weekend thing. Anyone else planning on going?

I'm really excited. I've driven past there a million times but never really got on campus. It's beautiful and seems like a really nice change if pace.
penelope1 wrote:
chomp wrote:

An invitation came in the mail about a week after the acceptance email. It's supposed to be a great event!

What are the dates? I just got accepted to FSU and I'd like to go the Stetson thing and FSU's thing.

meowllory

New

Post by meowllory » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:46 pm

Bubbles20 wrote:What are the dates? I just got accepted to FSU and I'd like to go the Stetson thing and FSU's thing.
I wanted to go to both too but unfortunately they're both the same weekend :/ I think FSU is having another admitted students day April 5th though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

yramos90

New

Post by yramos90 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:19 pm

waitlisted :/

scottyc66

Silver

Post by scottyc66 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:37 pm

Accepted with full scholly today. 3.37 and 165.

Ramble On

New

Post by Ramble On » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:59 pm

Anyone else going to the Scholars Retreat next weekend?

usfvictor

Bronze

Post by usfvictor » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:08 pm

shawty18ga wrote:
scottyc66 wrote:

UF troll?? lol jk jk

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

usfvictor

Bronze

Post by usfvictor » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:08 pm

scottyc66 wrote:Accepted with full scholly today. 3.37 and 165.
Congrats. you accepting?

scottyc66

Silver

Post by scottyc66 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:20 am

usfvictor wrote:
scottyc66 wrote:Accepted with full scholly today. 3.37 and 165.
Congrats. you accepting?
Not sure, I already live in the area so it would definitely be convenient and law school for free is a pretty solid deal. All depends on if I get a scholly offer to FSU.

LegalNugget

New

Post by LegalNugget » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:30 pm

I went to the scholars retreat a few weeks ago (those wondering why they werent invited, they told me they had limited number of seats so could only offer to the first people accepted.)

I also have full scholarship with 162/ 3.5 but with the 50% stip.

Right now i have 7k a year from FSU and the same scholarship and stip with Miami. Got in at UF, no money yet. Anyone else having a really tough time deciding? I loved the atmosphere at Stetson but the stipulation bothers me. If you lose it 2 years at Stetson would be more than 3 years at FSU.

Jacaranda21

New

Post by Jacaranda21 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:39 am

LegalNugget wrote:I went to the scholars retreat a few weeks ago (those wondering why they werent invited, they told me they had limited number of seats so could only offer to the first people accepted.)

I also have full scholarship with 162/ 3.5 but with the 50% stip.

Right now i have 7k a year from FSU and the same scholarship and stip with Miami. Got in at UF, no money yet. Anyone else having a really tough time deciding? I loved the atmosphere at Stetson but the stipulation bothers me. If you lose it 2 years at Stetson would be more than 3 years at FSU.
From reading around TLS about prior Stetson students, no one has heard of someone losing their full ride. Someone stated that if worst comes to worst, the admission office will work with you and give you a period to boost your grades.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&start=50

From personally talking to current students I have gotten the same general information. Chances are that if you did well enough to get the full scholarship, you will do well enough to be in the top 50% (if you maintain that level of work ethic). This kind of scared me too, but I would consider it motivation to work even harder, and I really don't want to be placed in the bottom half anyway.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”