George Washington c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JayJones78

Gold

Re: George Washington c/o 2016

Post by JayJones78 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:00 am

JuniperCreekEsq wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
fLaw School Bound wrote:I could for see a possible drop in rankings by GW next year. This has less to do with anything in regards to the actual quality of the school, just that other schools have gotten desperate and are wiling to pay big to keep their means up. There's reports of WUSTL offering near full rides to some folks they wouldn't even have admitted last year. We're talking guys with GPA's under 3.0 and LSATs below last year's median. On top of that it seems Northwestern and even the University of Virgina are accepting some sub 3.0 GPAs (nor URM one's that!) and siphoning off students that would have otherwise attended GW.

With peer schools throwing money at applicants and shrinking class sizes, I can see GW falling as low as 25 nest year... but then again. Will that drop really mean anything when it comes to quality of education and prestige of the university in the eyes of firms? Are firms going to open the USNWR rankings and say, "well GW fell two spots, we won't be hiring any students from there anymore."

I kind of doubt it.
I truly think that your last statement has so much merit both in regards to GW and in a general sense regarding hiring process and the rankings. I think that as 0Ls we are so consumed by the rankings, a two or even three spot drop and a median change of 1 or 2 points that we forget that the hiring partners (from every non 0L and non TLSer) that I spoke with are either not concerned with this or even pay no attention to it. a change like that will either go unnoticed or plainly ignored. Just my honest opinion. We discuss and dissect the rankings so much that we (sometime) don't put in the bigger prism
You said, "Prism." Lol. So DC ryt now
I'll own it 8)

BitterSplitter

Bronze

Post by BitterSplitter » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:53 am

Dream Weave wrote:I hope your right. It would be devastating to have a 2 point LSAT drop in one cycle for the admissions team. The only thing that worries me is that the old dean was ousted for such things as: trying to raise the prestige of the school by lowering class size in order to protect the medians and maybe even increase them. From what I understand, a lot of faculty and staff did not like this due to the consequential loss of revenue and ousted him. He actually seemed like someone who wanted what was best for the school as oppose to being money hungry. Should any of us have to care that the guy in the copy room is going to be layed off because less students are signing up for the quarter of a million dollars in debt?
I hope so too. I think we'll know for sure when the sub median GPA 165ers post if they got $ or not. If they got more than 10k/yr the median is fucked
Edit:I meant merit not including need based

Dream Weave

Bronze

Post by Dream Weave » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:49 am

BitterSplitter wrote:
Dream Weave wrote:I hope your right. It would be devastating to have a 2 point LSAT drop in one cycle for the admissions team. The only thing that worries me is that the old dean was ousted for such things as: trying to raise the prestige of the school by lowering class size in order to protect the medians and maybe even increase them. From what I understand, a lot of faculty and staff did not like this due to the consequential loss of revenue and ousted him. He actually seemed like someone who wanted what was best for the school as oppose to being money hungry. Should any of us have to care that the guy in the copy room is going to be layed off because less students are signing up for the quarter of a million dollars in debt?
I hope so too. I think we'll know for sure when the sub median GPA 165ers post if they got $ or not. If they got more than 10k/yr the median is fucked
Yeah this is def true. The only good thing is that they are giving the waitlist acceptances a lot of time to respond so maybe they aren't desperate, and like you said, they are just giving out a handful of offers that won't effect the median but could bring in revenue.

eomea5

Bronze

Post by eomea5 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:13 pm

So I called them on Friday regarding merit aid. They said merit aid awards for recently accepted WL admits will be sent out through Monday. If you havent recieved one by Monday you can ask to be reevaluated for merit aid. I also followed up with an email and the scholarship coordinator replied and said my case was "still under review" for merit aid and I should hear something this coming week if I was awarded anything.

TheNextAmendment

Bronze

Post by TheNextAmendment » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:38 am

Dream Weave wrote:
BitterSplitter wrote:
Yeah this is def true. The only good thing is that they are giving the waitlist acceptances a lot of time to respond so maybe they aren't desperate, and like you said, they are just giving out a handful of offers that won't effect the median but could bring in revenue.
I disagree that GW will drop in rank in the USNWR next year. You guys keep mentioning that NU and UVA are taking some of the students that normally would've attended GW, but you're forgetting that this is happening at every school. The decline in LS applicants is going to effect everyone equally. HLS takes UChi, UChi takes UVA, UVA takes UT, UT takes GW, GW takes BU/BC, Emory, etc. Every school is going to experience a drop in their medians.

The unfortunate thing is that Dean Berman was outed by the faculty. He really wanted to decrease the class size of GW Law and make it more exclusive and therefore more prestigious. He was able to lower the class size for c/o 2015 to 398 from like 450 or so c/o 2014. As some of you have mentioned, it seems like he was outed by the faculty because they were afraid of job cuts. It's unfortunate that they couldn't have negotiated to at least cut the class by 30 people or even 20 people...but oh well. Who knows if that's why they even outed them. Maybe the class size this year will still be in the high 300s or low 400s. Luckily for our class we will be following the smallest class that GW Law has ever seen (c/o 2015), and that may greatly increase the % of 1Ls that get biglaw, although by 3L when the numbers come out it will be past our do-or-die 1L OCI. Overall, who cares. Everyone's medians are going to drop. GW Law is the oldest law school in our nation's capital...I think its reputation is pretty firmly established. We placed a higher % of people into biglaw than UT and we have like 100 more students per class? I just WISH they would do something about the whole school-funded jobs thing. I mean 22%?! Just get it down to 10%. It would rather see this: limit those on pathways-to-practice to 10% of the underemployed and use that extra money saved from not having to pay $15/hour to over 40 students to lower the class size and not make so many job cuts...Why are they not seeing this? Does this make sense to anyone else but me?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:45 am

TheNextAmendment wrote: I disagree that GW will drop in rank in the USNWR next year. You guys keep mentioning that NU and UVA are taking some of the students that normally would've attended GW, but you're forgetting that this is happening at every school.
Agree with this as an interested observer. GW does a pretty good job at holding its position.
TheNextAmendment wrote: Overall, who cares. Everyone's medians are going to drop.
This too. I don't think any drop will impact its placement at all anyway. It places pretty damn well for such a large school in such a saturated market

TheNextAmendment

Bronze

Post by TheNextAmendment » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:03 pm

cusenation wrote:
TheNextAmendment wrote: I disagree that GW will drop in rank in the USNWR next year. You guys keep mentioning that NU and UVA are taking some of the students that normally would've attended GW, but you're forgetting that this is happening at every school.
Agree with this as an interested observer. GW does a pretty good job at holding its position.
TheNextAmendment wrote: Overall, who cares. Everyone's medians are going to drop.
This too. I don't think any drop will impact its placement at all anyway. It places pretty damn well for such a large school in such a saturated market
We don't need your "sympathy" points Mr.IChooseWUSTLOverGW =). Good Luck to you.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:13 pm

TheNextAmendment wrote:
cusenation wrote:
We don't need your "sympathy" points Mr.IChooseWUSTLOverGW =). Good Luck to you.
heyhey us washington schools need to stick together

TheNextAmendment

Bronze

Post by TheNextAmendment » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:23 pm

cusenation wrote:
TheNextAmendment wrote:
cusenation wrote:
heyhey us washington schools need to stick together
Okay okay fine. Lets be best friends until 2016 when we inevitably cut each other's throats for that 501+. Cheers!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hopelessoptimist

New

Post by hopelessoptimist » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:04 am

Just withdrew and put $45,000 back in the pot. Hope my spot and the $$ goes to someone on the WL soon! Good luck to everyone!

JuniperCreekEsq

Bronze

Post by JuniperCreekEsq » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:06 am

hopelessoptimist wrote:Just withdrew and put $45,000 back in the pot. Hope my spot and the $$ goes to someone on the WL soon! Good luck to everyone!
Shweet. Where you headed?

gatorgirl2012

Bronze

Post by gatorgirl2012 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:18 am

hopelessoptimist wrote:Just withdrew and put $45,000 back in the pot. Hope my spot and the $$ goes to someone on the WL soon! Good luck to everyone!
Much obliged. :roll: still holding out!!!

Dolphine

Bronze

Post by Dolphine » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:56 pm

Just had a very unpleasant exchange with the admissions office. Got admitted off the waitlist last week, I was waiting for a scholarship offer and I sent them my current offers, including full rides from higher ranked schools. They replied saying that there was no way they were going to offer anything close to that, so they're not even gonna make an offer and they withdrew my application. Very unprofessional.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:00 pm

Dolphine wrote:Just had a very unpleasant exchange with the admissions office. Got admitted off the waitlist last week, I was waiting for a scholarship offer and I sent them my current offers, including full rides from higher ranked schools. They replied saying that there was no way they were going to offer anything close to that, so they're not even gonna make an offer and they withdrew my application. Very unprofessional.
wtf? Does that even help their yield to withdraw you themselves...?

gatorgirl2012

Bronze

Post by gatorgirl2012 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:35 pm

Dolphine wrote:Just had a very unpleasant exchange with the admissions office. Got admitted off the waitlist last week, I was waiting for a scholarship offer and I sent them my current offers, including full rides from higher ranked schools. They replied saying that there was no way they were going to offer anything close to that, so they're not even gonna make an offer and they withdrew my application. Very unprofessional.
Did you give an ultimatum? It's still incredibly unprofessional.... At least you've got great options!!

Dolphine

Bronze

Post by Dolphine » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:48 pm

gatorgirl2012 wrote:
Did you give an ultimatum? It's still incredibly unprofessional.... At least you've got great options!!
No, i wasn't even given a choice, just automatically withdrawn. I inquired today because I hadn't heard back from them and they wanted a deposit soon. I think that's insanely rude to withdraw a student without even making an offer. The wording in the email was extremely rude as well. Oh well.

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:57 pm

Dolphine wrote:
gatorgirl2012 wrote:
No, i wasn't even given a choice, just automatically withdrawn. I inquired today because I hadn't heard back from them and they wanted a deposit soon. I think that's insanely rude to withdraw a student without even making an offer. The wording in the email was extremely rude as well. Oh well.
That's extremely unprofessional. I guess you'll just have to stick it to 'em by accepting the full-ride offer to the higher-ranked school 8)

/insert notevenmad.gif here

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Themanp

New

Post by Themanp » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:24 pm

Dolphine wrote:
gatorgirl2012 wrote:

Post the email please... Censor it as you see fit for privacy.

BitterSplitter

Bronze

Post by BitterSplitter » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:05 pm

Dolphine wrote:
gatorgirl2012 wrote:
Wow really sorry to hear that

TheNextAmendment

Bronze

Post by TheNextAmendment » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:50 pm

@dolphine: you were waitlisted at GW but you have a FULL RIDE to a HIGHER ranked school? Am I the only one confused? The only possibility would be UMN and full rides were at 166 lsat with solid gpa...and those people got into GW no problem I thought.

hopelessoptimist

New

Post by hopelessoptimist » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:04 pm

JuniperCreekEsq wrote:
Shweet. Where you headed?
I'm headed to Penn! Just got off the WL early last week :-)

And gatorgirl, and anyone else still holding out for GW, good luck!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:15 pm

TheNextAmendment wrote:@dolphine: you were waitlisted at GW but you have a FULL RIDE to a HIGHER ranked school? Am I the only one confused? The only possibility would be UMN and full rides were at 166 lsat with solid gpa...and those people got into GW no problem I thought.
Think of another Washington.

Dolphine

Bronze

Post by Dolphine » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:24 pm

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:
TheNextAmendment wrote:@dolphine: you were waitlisted at GW but you have a FULL RIDE to a HIGHER ranked school? Am I the only one confused? The only possibility would be UMN and full rides were at 166 lsat with solid gpa...and those people got into GW no problem I thought.
I still bet he's thinking of the wrong washington.

I'm not gonna be posting the e-mails, but from my exchanges with them they implied that they don't even have money to offer half tuition scholarships right now. So adjusted your plans according if you're still waiting.

TheNextAmendment

Bronze

Post by TheNextAmendment » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:00 pm

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:
"including full rides from higher ranked schools"- so he got a full ride to WUSTL and UMN and got waitlisted at GW? lol...Im calling flame.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:03 pm

TheNextAmendment wrote:
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:
"including full rides from higher ranked schools"- so he got a full ride to WUSTL and UMN and got waitlisted at GW? lol...Im calling flame.
nope not UMN, just WUSTL

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”