What type of numbers for full scholarships?(GW, BU, others?) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Br3v

Gold

What type of numbers for full scholarships?(GW, BU, others?)

Post by Br3v » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:29 pm

I have just been lightly researching some schools such as GW and BU that offer full tuition scholarships if you apply ED. Does anyone know what type of numbers are generally needed for this type of award? What about any other schools that offer similar awards? Granted I tried on my phone, but looking on LSN it seems as if you cant sort by $ amounts.

This is kind of an open question (though I am interested in having the gpa/lsat question answered) so anyone who has any information feel free to share!

kaiser

Gold

Re: What type of numbers for full scholarships?(GW, BU, others?)

Post by kaiser » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:35 pm

I'd imagine something around a 170, along with a very solid GPA for a full scholarship. In other words, you need to have numbers that would clearly qualify you for the next tier of schools, such that BU/GW would need to throw full tuition at you to convince you to come.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:37 pm

kaiser wrote:I'd imagine something around a 170, along with a very solid GPA for a full scholarship. In other words, you need to have numbers that would clearly qualify you for the next tier of schools, such that BU/GW would need to throw full tuition at you to convince you to come.
Thats what I was thinking, but LSN shows some good amount of $ going to some lower numbers. I was also wondering roughly where between their 75th percentiles, and say "the next tier" levels if that would be the seet spot. Obviously the higher the better though.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:42 pm

170/3.6, no real shot at either??

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:44 pm

Br3v wrote:
kaiser wrote:I'd imagine something around a 170, along with a very solid GPA for a full scholarship. In other words, you need to have numbers that would clearly qualify you for the next tier of schools, such that BU/GW would need to throw full tuition at you to convince you to come.
Thats what I was thinking, but LSN shows some good amount of $ going to some lower numbers. I was also wondering roughly where between their 75th percentiles, and say "the next tier" levels if that would be the seet spot. Obviously the higher the better though.
You just can't guess at it until you apply. Some people with 75th/75th numbers get full rides, others get waitlisted.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:47 pm

fwiw, the LSAC guide shows just over 10% of GWU students with at least full tuition (175 / 1,709)

BU is like 2% - 17 students out of 822

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:49 pm

justonemoregame wrote:fwiw, the LSAC guide shows just over 10% of GWU students with at least full tuition (175 / 1,709)

BU is like 2% - 17 students out of 822
Right. Thats why I'm saying it only goes to the students who very clearly could have gone to a T10 school had they wanted. The one guy I knew at BU with a full scholarship had something like a 171 or 172, and was accepted at a T6, but took the $$ instead.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:11 pm

IAFG wrote:
Br3v wrote:
You just can't guess at it until you apply. Some people with 75th/75th numbers get full rides, others get waitlisted.
Any schools that one could test the waters with without having to take the ED plunge?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:19 pm

Br3v wrote: Any schools that one could test the waters with without having to take the ED plunge?
What water-testing? I always say, apply widely, then negotiate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:25 pm

IAFG wrote:
Br3v wrote: Any schools that one could test the waters with without having to take the ED plunge?
I meant are there any schools that regularly offer full time offers on a non ED basis?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:29 pm

Br3v wrote:
IAFG wrote:
I meant are there any schools that regularly offer full time offers on a non ED basis?
Of course. I would think the majority of full scholarship offers are to students who do NOT ED. They throw that kind of money at the student because there is a chance the student will just go somewhere else. No such incentive when the student is already committing via ED.

jone7007

New

Post by jone7007 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:53 am

Check out lawschoolnumbers.com

You can see self reported numbers/acceptance/$ by each year.

For example, one GW applicated got 105k last year with 170 LSAT and 3.82 LSDAS GPA.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:56 am

Br3v wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Texas offered me a full ride after some negotiation.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LargeNinCharge

New

Post by LargeNinCharge » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:46 am

Am I right to say that BU offers full rides to all students accepted through early decision?

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:29 pm

LargeNinCharge wrote:Am I right to say that BU offers full rides to all students accepted through early decision?
That's my understanding, so it seems their ED may be reverse than
Most in the sense that the best candidates go for it rather than those on the fence

justicefishy

Bronze

Post by justicefishy » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:06 pm

jone7007 wrote:Check out lawschoolnumbers.com

You can see self reported numbers/acceptance/$ by each year.

For example, one GW applicated got 105k last year with 170 LSAT and 3.82 LSDAS GPA.
90k, 3.4 170 here without any negotiation. I probably could have gotten a lot more out of them.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”