UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
andlifegoeson

New

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Post by andlifegoeson » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:39 am

Maybe I haven't been browsing the thread closely enough, but have there been many sub-163s accepted?

butyourhonor

New

Post by butyourhonor » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:27 pm

You guys, my offer is pretty undoable. How willing do they seem to be to negotiate, assuming my initial offer is less than 10K a year? I really, really want to be able to go here.
Maybe I haven't been browsing the thread closely enough, but have there been many sub-163s accepted?
Doesn't seem like it.

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:38 pm

I think it will be harder to negotiate until after the seat deposit deadline, that way they know who is going and who is not and more money is freed up. With that said, I went from 0->40k/yr so it is possible, but I am a ARM. Others have mentioned getting huge jumps too though.

I would send an email discussing other offers/your interest and etc. It can't hurt you, and they may tell you when you could expect to hear about more money if at all.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:28 pm

Dmini7 wrote:I think it will be harder to negotiate until after the seat deposit deadline, that way they know who is going and who is not and more money is freed up. With that said, I went from 0->40k/yr so it is possible, but I am a ARM. Others have mentioned getting huge jumps too though.

I would send an email discussing other offers/your interest and etc. It can't hurt you, and they may tell you when you could expect to hear about more money if at all.
Awesomely Represented Minority?

kaydee

New

Post by kaydee » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:38 pm

butyourhonor wrote:
I received that e-mail, and I was accepted last week.
I still haven't heard anything. Received the email today and only submitted about a month ago.
I submitted a little over a month ago and got no such email. Suckfest. This mean I`m a ding?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gitguy

Bronze

Post by gitguy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:32 pm

kaydee wrote:
butyourhonor wrote:
I received that e-mail, and I was accepted last week.
I still haven't heard anything. Received the email today and only submitted about a month ago.
I submitted a little over a month ago and got no such email. Suckfest. This mean I`m a ding?
Doubt it with your LSAT.

Merylian

Silver

Post by Merylian » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:56 pm

Dmini7 wrote:I think it will be harder to negotiate until after the seat deposit deadline, that way they know who is going and who is not and more money is freed up. With that said, I went from 0->40k/yr so it is possible, but I am a ARM. Others have mentioned getting huge jumps too though.

Yeah, I was one of those...0-50k/year, and I'm not URM or anything. So if you haven't heard about scholarships yet, it might not mean anything!

Stupid question time. IS there a seat deposit? I thought we just had to submit the SIR?

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:02 pm

Merylian wrote:

Yeah, I was one of those...0-50k/year, and I'm not URM or anything. So if you haven't heard about scholarships yet, it might not mean anything!

Stupid question time. IS there a seat deposit? I thought we just had to submit the SIR?
No deposit.

kaydee

New

Post by kaydee » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:13 pm

Merylian wrote:

What's the deadline for this? I`m assuming everybody will hear back about acceptances/denials before this date?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:14 pm

kaydee wrote:
Merylian wrote:

What's the deadline for this? I`m assuming everybody will hear back about acceptances/denials before this date?
4/12

arak

New

Post by arak » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:11 pm

I was wait-listed a couple weeks back. Anyone know when I can expect to hear back? UCI is my top choice...

bne

New

Post by bne » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:34 pm

arak wrote:I was wait-listed a couple weeks back. Anyone know when I can expect to hear back? UCI is my top choice...
Same here... The wait is killing me.

mehh

Bronze

Post by mehh » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:47 pm

andlifegoeson wrote:Maybe I haven't been browsing the thread closely enough, but have there been many sub-163s accepted?
I got in with a 162. 3.7 (3.81)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LaurenAyn

New

Post by LaurenAyn » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:41 am

Hey all! I just got back from visiting Irvine last week and I really loved it. So much of what people say about UCI here on TLS is pure B.S. - the students are happy, engaged, and have had no problem finding good jobs. Their LRAP is also very generous. I'm leaning heavily towards UCI because (a) they're offering me $50K/year; (b) I would LOVE to live in California - I grew up in the northeast/midatlantic and wanna get out of here - and (c) I would like to work in public interest, which they're super focused on compared to other top-tier schools.

HOWEVER, my parents are not pleased with this choice. I've also been offered a full ride to Wake Forest (est. $41K/year) and $30K/year to Emory, and my folks wish I'd go with one of those more "traditional" and "prestigious" options.

What do you guys think? Am I mistaken to value things like a comfortable, personalized atmosphere and beautiful climate over a longstanding name and a large alumni base? :?: Again, my dream job would be something like working for the ACLU, definitely not in biglaw.

(FYI, my stats were: LSAT=166, GPA=3.83)

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:51 am

LaurenAyn wrote:Hey all! I just got back from visiting Irvine last week and I really loved it. So much of what people say about UCI here on TLS is pure B.S. - the students are happy, engaged, and have had no problem finding good jobs. Their LRAP is also very generous. I'm leaning heavily towards UCI because (a) they're offering me $50K/year; (b) I would LOVE to live in California - I grew up in the northeast/midatlantic and wanna get out of here - and (c) I would like to work in public interest, which they're super focused on compared to other top-tier schools.

HOWEVER, my parents are not pleased with this choice. I've also been offered a full ride to Wake Forest (est. $41K/year) and $30K/year to Emory, and my folks wish I'd go with one of those more "traditional" and "prestigious" options.

What do you guys think? Am I mistaken to value things like a comfortable, personalized atmosphere and beautiful climate over a longstanding name and a large alumni base? :?: Again, my dream job would be something like working for the ACLU, definitely not in biglaw.

I'd hardly consider Wake Forest "prestigious" but it is a good school in the region. Emory is a great school but it will leave you with significant debt and (potentially) with a low paying public interest job - ultimately leaving you cash strapped and in a region you don't even want to be in. I'm running into this a little with my dad but ultimately, a) it's my life and decision and b) I've done the research and know what's best for me.

If you want to be in California and you want to be in public interest, taking the minimal debt option is the clear choice here. Maybe show them the numbers of how expensive it would be to attend the other schools.
Last edited by teiswei on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:51 am

LaurenAyn wrote:Hey all! I just got back from visiting Irvine last week and I really loved it. So much of what people say about UCI here on TLS is pure B.S. - the students are happy, engaged, and have had no problem finding good jobs. Their LRAP is also very generous. I'm leaning heavily towards UCI because (a) they're offering me $50K/year; (b) I would LOVE to live in California - I grew up in the northeast/midatlantic and wanna get out of here - and (c) I would like to work in public interest, which they're super focused on compared to other top-tier schools.

Well, I personally don't see too much of an issue with your choice. I guess the biggest one would be trying to enter the CA market without ties to CA. With that said, I don't see Wake Forest ever being a better option (in my opinion at least), and 30k from Emory still puts you in a lot more debt. The lack of an alumni network is a huge fear that I also have, but neither of those schools would really be considered prestigious(maybe Emory in the south). I don't think it is wrong to value the things you listed, especially since it will probably make you work harder and actually enjoy your time there, therefore producing better results.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:19 am

Again, my dream job would be something like working for the ACLU, definitely not in biglaw.
Unfortunately, such plum PI jobs go to those with LS pedigree, and none of your three choices will likely get you there. They are all regional schools.

That being said, I'm a big fan of what UCI is doing. And for near full tuition, it's a good deal.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:31 pm

teiswei wrote:

I'd hardly consider Wake Forest "prestigious" but it is a good school in the region. Emory is a great school but it will leave you with significant debt and (potentially) with a low paying public interest job - ultimately leaving you cash strapped and in a region you don't even want to be in. I'm running into this a little with my dad but ultimately, a) it's my life and decision and b) I've done the research and know what's best for me.

If you want to be in California and you want to be in public interest, taking the minimal debt option is the clear choice here. Maybe show them the numbers of how expensive it would be to attend the other schools.
+1 to all of what teiswei said about Wake Forest, your decision and the financial element of aid. Also, 44% of Emory grads work in GA, 10% in NY. Why on earth would you anyone want to practice in GA? I know some angry Georgian will dig up this post of mine in the future...

seriously, though. if you want to live and work in SoCal, go to UCI (aside from your awesome scholarship and PI interest which definitely swing it in that direction).

fredmerz

New

Post by fredmerz » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:32 am

I know Irvine do seem receptive and generous when it comes to negotiating merit $$$ but I have a question nonetheless. I got $30 a year from them but would like to try for a bit more. I've been offered a full ride at Cardozo and Brooklyn in NY and have acceptances w/o $ at some T-20s, but I'm still waiting to hear from several schools. Should I wait until I hear from more schools to put myself in a better bargaining position or do you think I could try to negotiate something with UCI now. I'm enthusiastic about UCI and getting a bit more money would really make my decision easier. Any advice?

helterskelter

New

Post by helterskelter » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:20 pm

fredmerz wrote:I know Irvine do seem receptive and generous when it comes to negotiating merit $$$ but I have a question nonetheless. I got $30 a year from them but would like to try for a bit more. I've been offered a full ride at Cardozo and Brooklyn in NY and have acceptances w/o $ at some T-20s, but I'm still waiting to hear from several schools. Should I wait until I hear from more schools to put myself in a better bargaining position or do you think I could try to negotiate something with UCI now. I'm enthusiastic about UCI and getting a bit more money would really make my decision easier. Any advice?
Try to wait. I say this because I'm in almost the same position (really, just another $5k would make the difference), but I tried to negotiate using my TT/TTT full rides and it was a no-go.

Golden Bear 11

Bronze

Post by Golden Bear 11 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:28 pm

How many times have you taken the LSAT? If once (even twice), please retake. Don't waste that GPA.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

superhopefulwoo

Bronze

Post by superhopefulwoo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:48 pm

So... is anyone going to the ASW next weekend? I'm attending and was hoping to see some of you from here!
Last edited by superhopefulwoo on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:15 pm

Golden Bear 11 wrote:

How many times have you taken the LSAT? If once (even twice), please retake. Don't waste that GPA.

LaurenAyn

New

Post by LaurenAyn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:30 pm

Golden Bear 11 wrote:

Ouch! I actually did take it twice, and did slightly worse the second time so decided I should just stop while I was ahead. (I had a legitimate excuse for the drop in score though - lack of sleep the night before - which I explained in my addendum.) And there ain't no way I'm going back to the drawing board at this late hour! Haha not with full ride offers under my belt already :) The fact that UCI sees beyond pure numbers to realize prospective students' full potential is pretty great.

nba101790

Bronze

Post by nba101790 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:31 pm

LaurenAyn wrote:
Golden Bear 11 wrote:

Ouch! I actually did take it twice, and did slightly worse the second time so decided I should just stop while I was ahead. (I had a legitimate excuse for the drop in score though - lack of sleep the night before - which I explained in my addendum.) And there ain't no way I'm going back to the drawing board at this late our! Haha not with full ride offers under my belt already :) The fact that UCI sees beyond pure numbers to realize prospective students' full potential is pretty great.

Just wondering, and not to be combative, but you actually wrote an addendum in which you blamed lack of sleep for your poor performance on a standardized test? Did UCI, or any school, comment on that whatsoever in an interview or other correspondence perhaps?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”