UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
teiswei

Silver

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Post by teiswei » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:44 pm

99.9luft wrote:
Hyee wrote:So I think this came up before, but I ask again. How will everyone be dressing for this occasion? I'm assuming a tie isn't necessary, but jeans/tshirt won't do as well. Am I in the ballpark here? Business casual, etc? How do student generally dress on a normal day of law school? I'm from Cal so, naturally, everything goes and shoes optional.
yes, business casual. slacks, shirt, no tie.
Packed today and keeping it simple. Didn't want to show anyone up with my stylish threads ;)

Wishfulthinker

New

Post by Wishfulthinker » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:44 pm

unclepete wrote:Am I the only one still waiting on a decision?

I'm still waiting too...

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:45 pm

Wishfulthinker wrote:
unclepete wrote:Am I the only one still waiting on a decision?

I'm still waiting too...
Numbers?

Homelandsagreatshow

Bronze

Post by Homelandsagreatshow » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:55 pm

same, although I did apply on the deadline....

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:12 pm

Homelandsagreatshow wrote:same, although I did apply on the deadline....
I applied at the deadline last year and didn't hear until late may I believe (ding).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nthakker

New

Post by nthakker » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:25 pm

In terms of what students wear on a regular basis: just regular clothes but nothing too revealing/risky.

Hyee

New

Post by Hyee » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:19 pm

nthakker wrote:In terms of what students wear on a regular basis: just regular clothes but nothing too revealing/risky.

Thanks, because I've essentially worn jeans and a black t-shirt for every casual public appearance since senior year of high school. Would hate to have to change that.

ChaseInk

New

Post by ChaseInk » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:01 am

Hyee wrote:
nthakker wrote:In terms of what students wear on a regular basis: just regular clothes but nothing too revealing/risky.

Thanks, because I've essentially worn jeans and a black t-shirt for every casual public appearance since senior year of high school. Would hate to have to change that.
Here is my $0.02 on this: yes this is Souther California, and yes you can get away with wearing jeans, rainbows, and a t-shirt anywhere but court and a funeral, but YOU ARE GOING TO THE SCHOOL SO THAT YOU CAN GO TO COURT (or stay out of it, if you're doing transactional). I'm not saying wear a shirt and tie to ASW or to class, but at ASW and on any given day during the school year, you are interacting not just with your professors (all of whom except Bob Solomon wear slacks and a OCBD minimum), but you might run into the various federal judges who are on campus daily, the Senators who drop by on occasion, the local dignitaries who love throwing money at Chem, or practicing lawyers who want to give us jobs, ALL OF WHOM ARE WEARING SUITS AND TIES. Act the part; dress the part. People will take you more seriously.

b123

Bronze

Post by b123 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:25 am

ChaseInk wrote:
Hyee wrote:

Here is my $0.02 on this: yes this is Souther California, and yes you can get away with wearing jeans, rainbows, and a t-shirt anywhere but court and a funeral, but YOU ARE GOING TO THE SCHOOL SO THAT YOU CAN GO TO COURT (or stay out of it, if you're doing transactional). I'm not saying wear a shirt and tie to ASW or to class, but at ASW and on any given day during the school year, you are interacting not just with your professors (all of whom except Bob Solomon wear slacks and a OCBD minimum), but you might run into the various federal judges who are on campus daily, the Senators who drop by on occasion, the local dignitaries who love throwing money at Chem, or practicing lawyers who want to give us jobs, ALL OF WHOM ARE WEARING SUITS AND TIES. Act the part; dress the part. People will take you more seriously.
Yeah, Imma wear jeans.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hyee

New

Post by Hyee » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:36 am

b123 wrote:
ChaseInk wrote:
Hyee wrote:

Yeah, Imma wear jeans.
The man has a point, which I will probably end up ignoring after I get comfortable in law school. Point has definitely been acknowledged though.

bettercallsaul91

Bronze

Post by bettercallsaul91 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:12 am

Yeah ... we're heading to Dave and Busters. I'm not wearing jeans, but I'm taking it easy. I'll dress up for the school year.

In any case, heading down to UCI now! See you all soon :)

superhopefulwoo

Bronze

Post by superhopefulwoo » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:47 am

bettercallsaul91 wrote:Yeah ... we're heading to Dave and Busters. I'm not wearing jeans, but I'm taking it easy. I'll dress up for the school year.

In any case, heading down to UCI now! See you all soon :)
Me too! Flying out in a couple hours - see yall there!

unclepete

Bronze

Post by unclepete » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:04 am

teiswei wrote:
I applied at the deadline last year and didn't hear until late may I believe (ding).
Yikes. Yeah, I applied very near deadline. 167, 3.2.... So I suppose I`m expecting a ding as well

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:38 pm

unclepete wrote:
teiswei wrote:
Yikes. Yeah, I applied very near deadline. 167, 3.2.... So I suppose I`m expecting a ding as well
Ha you aren't getting dinged. I got dinged because I threw a sloppy app and had a terrible LSAT score - 155

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:39 pm

Landed in LA looking forward to meeting all of you. Checking out a Bill Maher taping first though :D

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:57 pm

teiswei wrote:Landed in LA looking forward to meeting all of you. Checking out a Bill Maher taping first though :D
welcome and awesome!

I tried getting Bill Maher tickets twice in the last 5 years, never heard from them both times. Maybe they like out-of-staters or maybe i am just a douche or both....

bettercallsaul91

Bronze

Post by bettercallsaul91 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:18 pm

teiswei wrote:Landed in LA looking forward to meeting all of you. Checking out a Bill Maher taping first though :D

Yesss! !!!! Did that once when Cornel West was on! Loved it! Though when I saw him a second time just doing stand-up, he was a lot more racist and misogynistic.

Have fun! Can't wait to do that more often soon

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gitguy

Bronze

Post by gitguy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:17 pm

bettercallsaul91 wrote:

Yesss! !!!! Did that once when Cornel West was on! Loved it! Though when I saw him a second time just doing stand-up, he was a lot more racist and misogynistic.

Have fun! Can't wait to do that more often soon
Ooh, a Cornel West episode. Score.

anticule

New

Post by anticule » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:28 pm

Hey guys..

I got waitlisted this morning.. I'm a California native and I've been accepted into some schools in the T25 with $$$(don't want to name the schools)...I went to UCI undergrad and would love to stay in California...

Now I just wanted to see what you guys would do to try to get off the waitlist in my situation? Thanks!

unclepete

Bronze

Post by unclepete » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:33 pm

anticule wrote:Hey guys..

I got waitlisted this morning.. I'm a California native and I've been accepted into some schools in the T25 with $$$(don't want to name the schools)...I went to UCI undergrad and would love to stay in California...

Now I just wanted to see what you guys would do to try to get off the waitlist in my situation? Thanks!
Welp, this worries me. Sorry to hear! What are your stats, if you don't mind?

As far as your question goes, a well-written LOCI is really all you can do

anticule

New

Post by anticule » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:43 pm

unclepete wrote:
anticule wrote:Hey guys..

Welp, this worries me. Sorry to hear! What are your stats, if you don't mind?

As far as your question goes, a well-written LOCI is really all you can do
GPA is near perfect .. LSAT was 15X...

I didn't expect to get accepted but I'd drop all my acceptances for this.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

boblawlob

Silver

Post by boblawlob » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:02 pm

anticule wrote: GPA is near perfect .. LSAT was 15X...

I'd retake if I were you.

anticule

New

Post by anticule » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:42 pm

boblawlob wrote:

3rd time wasn't a charm. :-(

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:53 pm

anticule wrote:
boblawlob wrote:

3rd time wasn't a charm. :-(
the number of takes does not matter. what matters is HOW you study and WHETHER you improve in your practice tests before gameday. how old are you? if you are still in your 20s, i'd wait 2 years by acquiring interesting work experience (preferably law-related), study better (i.e. smarter), take it again. do not waste that GPA.
-my 99 cents

boblawlob

Silver

Post by boblawlob » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:05 pm

99.9luft wrote:
anticule wrote: 3rd time wasn't a charm. :-(
the number of takes does not matter. what matters is HOW you study and WHETHER you improve in your practice tests before gameday. how old are you? if you are still in your 20s, i'd wait 2 years by acquiring interesting work experience (preferably law-related), study better (i.e. smarter), take it again. do not waste that GPA.
-my 99 cents
This

If poster was already 2+ years out of undergrad, I wouldn't tell him/her to retake (I would probably say look for another profession unless you are crazy enough to go tier 2).

But seems as though poster just graduated last June. Assuming poster does not have a job that requires a college degree, a 9 month resume gap shouldn't be too bad on LS apps if poster were to get such a job asap. Work at that job and study for the LSAT until you hit 173ish on PT/get 167+ on the real thing. Two things will happen after that: 1. you get into a better school with better chances 2. you will have saved up money for living costs during law school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”