University of Houston (cycle 2012-2013) C\O 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Well_he_did_not

New

Re: University of Houston (cycle 2012-2013) C\O 2016

Post by Well_he_did_not » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:51 pm

Is it just me or is Bush International supperrr far away from the university. I called the hotel I'm suppose to stay at(hotel on campus) and they said that it's 35 mins away at least. He also said it's $45-$50 for the cab ride each way. :? That being said, anyone know of a cheaper way to get to campus?

(I've tried to ask these questions to admissions and they're being a tad slow responding to me and I have to book this flight ASAP)

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:20 pm

Well_he_did_not wrote:Is it just me or is Bush International supperrr far away from the university. I called the hotel I'm suppose to stay at(hotel on campus) and they said that it's 35 mins away at least. He also said it's $45-$50 for the cab ride each way. :? That being said, anyone know of a cheaper way to get to campus?

(I've tried to ask these questions to admissions and they're being a tad slow responding to me and I have to book this flight ASAP)
Hobby is much closer to UH

Also got scholarship letter today. 3k/yr more than UT - not really worth it, ESP if they aren't willing to negotiate any time soon. :(

ajhoffman

New

Post by ajhoffman » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:30 pm

I'm being THAT applicant that's still incredibly stressed that I haven't heard anything.

Did everyone turn in the residency form?

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:04 am

ajhoffman wrote:I'm being THAT applicant that's still incredibly stressed that I haven't heard anything.

The form is important and it took me forEVER to send it to them. Were you able to submit it to their office?

ajhoffman

New

Post by ajhoffman » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:27 am

JXander wrote:
ajhoffman wrote:I'm being THAT applicant that's still incredibly stressed that I haven't heard anything.

The form is important and it took me forEVER to send it to them. Were you able to submit it to their office?
I have yet to submit the form because, according to the status update page, my residency status never said either "out of state" or "residency form needed." I'm going to call them tomorrow and double check that this isn't what's holding up my application decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:20 pm

("Scholarship letter mailed" February 22nd)

(letter postmarked February 27th)

(Offers me less scholarship money than UT)

LOL

crazeazn

New

Post by crazeazn » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:08 am

Well_he_did_not wrote:Is it just me or is Bush International supperrr far away from the university. I called the hotel I'm suppose to stay at(hotel on campus) and they said that it's 35 mins away at least. He also said it's $45-$50 for the cab ride each way. :? That being said, anyone know of a cheaper way to get to campus?

fly through hobby southwest/airtran or bush with spirit airlines. use expedia etc.

futHouLawyer

New

Post by futHouLawyer » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:37 am

I am not sure if anybody answered your question but the other option is to take the meto bus from IAH to the campus. This will take longer but it would be much cheaper. From the metro website, it appears that you will take the 102 to the 52 and take roughly 1.5 hours. I think it cost $1.50 per bus ride. Hope this helps.

Jredelman15

Bronze

Post by Jredelman15 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:57 pm

Really looking forward to the ASD. Hopefully they will have some good news for us along the lines of job prospects. I am thinking about trying to get a little bit more scholarship money. What are the thoughts on second negotiation attempts?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:59 pm

Jredelman15 wrote:I am thinking about trying to get a little bit more scholarship money. What are the thoughts on second negotiation attempts?
Wait, what? How was the first attempt? Did I miss this earlier?

Jredelman15

Bronze

Post by Jredelman15 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:01 am

JXander wrote:
Jredelman15 wrote:I am thinking about trying to get a little bit more scholarship money. What are the thoughts on second negotiation attempts?
Wait, what? How was the first attempt? Did I miss this earlier?
They moved from 0 to 5k per year. I would like to get a match of the Tulane offer at 15k per year but that is improbable so I would be satisfied with 10k.

ajhoffman

New

Post by ajhoffman » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:20 am

For the people who have already been accepted, how long were you in review? My file has been complete since 1/24 and my most recent "in review" date is 2/22. I'm stressing that since it's been over a month, they're just taking their sweet time before they deny me. Houston is my top choice, so let's hope this isn't the case!

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:59 am

ajhoffman wrote:For the people who have already been accepted, how long were you in review? My file has been complete since 1/24 and my most recent "in review" date is 2/22. I'm stressing that since it's been over a month, they're just taking their sweet time before they deny me. Houston is my top choice, so let's hope this isn't the case!
It took them a little over 2 months before they made a decision on my app.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ArianFosterNation

New

Post by ArianFosterNation » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:21 pm

I just wanted to give other applicants a heads up as to how I was treated by the UH LC staff when I called them a few weeks back.

To start, I applied to UH in hopes of having a great backup school in my hometown which I could fall back on. When filling out my app I didn't write any additional essays or do any of the optional addenda items. I was a little surprised to find out I got WL'ed but I understood that from an outsider looking in, it appeared I had no interest in the school. (It could be many other reasons as well)

I called the school to ask a few questions to the admissions counselor regarding where to send a LOCI and a few other questions about how their WL worked.

The responses I received where absolutely ridiculous. The Jamaican woman(I believe that's what she was) I was speaking to proceeded to badger me on how I was incompetent because I should have gathered this information from the website or by email. I was trying to stay polite as she was speaking in a harsh tone. I asked her:
"I don't believe I received an email from the school giving me a list of instructions for the waitlist process."
She says, "Why don't you check your email next time instead of wasting my time." She is at screaming level at this point.
Me: "Excuse me, but can I speak to another counselor"
Her:"You may not, I am your counselor and if you have a problem you may address me."
Me: " Then let me speak to your supervisor or a dean that is in the office."
Her:"Im sorry, they are all busy."
At that point i just hung and tried calling back another time but got the run around.

Needless to say, I am not attending UH even if they offered me a full ride. No amount of money could buy my respect after that little incident.

The point of this was simply to inform you guys the type of staff they have in the administration at the UH LC. I hope you all have a better experience then I did.

I'm just curious, did anyone else experience a similar situation?

nba101790

Bronze

Post by nba101790 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:23 pm

ArianFosterNation wrote:I just wanted to give other applicants a heads up as to how I was treated by the UH LC staff when I called them a few weeks back.

To start, I applied to UH in hopes of having a great backup school in my hometown which I could fall back on. When filling out my app I didn't write any additional essays or do any of the optional addenda items. I was a little surprised to find out I got WL'ed but I understood that from an outsider looking in, it appeared I had no interest in the school. (It could be many other reasons as well)

I called the school to ask a few questions to the admissions counselor regarding where to send a LOCI and a few other questions about how their WL worked.

The responses I received where absolutely ridiculous. The Jamaican woman(I believe that's what she was) I was speaking to proceeded to badger me on how I was incompetent because I should have gathered this information from the website or by email. I was trying to stay polite as she was speaking in a harsh tone. I asked her:
"I don't believe I received an email from the school giving me a list of instructions for the waitlist process."
She says, "Why don't you check your email next time instead of wasting my time." She is at screaming level at this point.
Her:"You may not, I am your counselor and if you have a problem you may address me."
At that point i just hung and tried calling back another time but got the run around.

Needless to say, I am not attending UH even if they offered me a full ride. No amount of money could buy my respect after that little incident.

The point of this was simply to inform you guys the type of staff they have in the administration at the UH LC. I hope you all have a better experience then I did.

Not that bad, but I thought from dealing with the Admissions staff that they were borderline incompetent. Did you write a follow-up to a dean explaining this incident?

ArianFosterNation

New

Post by ArianFosterNation » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:30 pm

nba101790 wrote:
ArianFosterNation wrote:I just wanted to give other applicants a heads up as to how I was treated by the UH LC staff when I called them a few weeks back.

Not that bad, but I thought from dealing with the Admissions staff that they were borderline incompetent. Did you write a follow-up to a dean explaining this incident?
I have taken the "I dont want to waste my time" approach to this, so no. But I have been contemplating doing so when I did get a free moment. But Id prefer to just leave it alone

crazeazn

New

Post by crazeazn » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:02 pm

ArianFosterNation wrote:
nba101790 wrote:

I have taken the "I dont want to waste my time" approach to this, so no. But I have been contemplating doing so when I did get a free moment. But Id prefer to just leave it alone
that lady is pretty curt, i know who you are talking about.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

helpplease

Bronze

Post by helpplease » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:04 pm

Do yall think it would be okay to email an admissions rep and ask to be put in contact with current students or alumni who have also been offered a full tuition scholarship? Or would that be rude? I really just want to speak to someone who was in a similar situation that ultimately chose to attend UHLC.

crazyducky924

New

Post by crazyducky924 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:02 pm

Does anyone know when the next ASD is or when the first seat deposit is due?

helpplease

Bronze

Post by helpplease » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:49 pm

crazyducky924 wrote:Does anyone know when the next ASD is or when the first seat deposit is due?
ASD is March 22nd and I believe seat deposit is April 15th.

shaker2016

New

Post by shaker2016 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:07 pm

crazeazn wrote:
ArianFosterNation wrote:
nba101790 wrote:

that lady is pretty curt, i know who you are talking about.

yeah kinda similiar, but through email.

I asked if there was any possibility whatsoever for a faster decision because I had a deposit due in seven days. Tech got back to me the same day with a very nice email. UH got back to me like four days later referring me to a paragraph buried somewhere on their website with an explanation that they don't give a shit if you have deposits pending (paraphrase). They'll take their sweet time and you'll get your answer when they get off their fat asses (again, paraphrase).

Wrote this school off.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

helpplease

Bronze

Post by helpplease » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:21 pm

shaker2016 wrote:

I asked if there was any possibility whatsoever for a faster decision because I had a deposit due in seven days. Tech got back to me the same day with a very nice email. UH got back to me like four days later referring me to a paragraph buried somewhere on their website with an explanation that they don't give a shit if you have deposits pending (paraphrase). They'll take their sweet time and you'll get your answer when they get off their fat asses (again, paraphrase).

Wrote this school off.
LOL guys the actual admissions committee at this school (Jaime, Nathan, Pilar) is actually really, really nice. The financial aid lady is also really helpful. I think I also talked to somebody in career or student services and they were pleasant as well. I think it's just that receptionist that's a bit offputting, and in someway that does reflect upon the school, but just avoid contacting her if you need something. My goto person is Nathan--I emailed him on Friday at 4:40pm with a request and he emailed back 2 minutes later with exactly what I needed. I hope yall have better experiences with UH moving forward!

mtyler19

Bronze

Post by mtyler19 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:33 am

helpplease wrote:
shaker2016 wrote:

Wrote this school off.
LOL guys the actual admissions committee at this school (Jaime, Nathan, Pilar) is actually really, really nice. The financial aid lady is also really helpful. I think I also talked to somebody in career or student services and they were pleasant as well. I think it's just that receptionist that's a bit offputting, and in someway that does reflect upon the school, but just avoid contacting her if you need something. My goto person is Nathan--I emailed him on Friday at 4:40pm with a request and he emailed back 2 minutes later with exactly what I needed. I hope yall have better experiences with UH moving forward!
What's funny is the receptionist is actually SUPER sweet in person, just over the phone/email she comes off way differently.

Well_he_did_not

New

Post by Well_he_did_not » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:23 am

crazeazn wrote:

fly through hobby southwest/airtran or bush with spirit airlines. use expedia etc.
Thanks!

My flight is suppose to get in on Thursday March 21st at 2pm. Anyone also going to be at the bush airport at that time? I may take a shuttle but would be willing to split a cab if someone will be there? I hate travelling alone :(

crazeazn

New

Post by crazeazn » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:23 pm

Well_he_did_not wrote:
crazeazn wrote:

Thanks!

My flight is suppose to get in on Thursday March 21st at 2pm. Anyone also going to be at the bush airport at that time? I may take a shuttle but would be willing to split a cab if someone will be there? I hate travelling alone :(
theres a METRO shuttle that takes you downtown from bush for like 8 bucks? then you can cab it from there...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”