UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
EG12

New

Re: UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Post by EG12 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:16 pm

If you want a furnished place The Continuum isn't bad, but it's pricey without a roommate. The nice part is you must be a grad student to live there.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:19 pm

I've heard a lot of awful shit about the continuum.

Bronze

Post by 1693 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:37 pm

Thanks for the updated advice guys! I will have to check out all these places in person.

I'm absolutely not opposed to living with a roommate, either. The reason I asked about housing not overrun with undergrads is I used to visit UF as an undergrad and know just how rowdy that place can get lol, and I'd like to deal with that as little as possible during law school.

Bronze

Post by 1693 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:38 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:I've heard a lot of awful shit about the continuum.
Such as what, if you don't mind me asking?

edit: apparently it is run by the school itself, too.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:44 pm

1693 wrote:

Lots of AC issues, wall are crazy thin, water problems, and apparently it's impossible to get a response from the folks that run it.

People bitch about it a lot.

There are plenty of places west of campus that are good to live in. Houses just to the north are best.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronze

Post by 1693 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:52 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
1693 wrote:

Lots of AC issues, wall are crazy thin, water problems, and apparently it's impossible to get a response from the folks that run it.

There are plenty of places west of campus that are good to live in. Houses just to the north are best.
Awesome, thanks for the response. I guess it is a bit premature to start thinking about the housing... best to just see what opens up this summer.

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:03 pm

How much does a 1br apartment with utilities etc. typically run?

EG12

New

Post by EG12 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:13 pm

slawww wrote:How much does a 1br apartment with utilities etc. typically run?

Anywhere from 400-1400. All depends on how far away you are willing to live and what you are looking for.

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:30 pm

EG12 wrote:
slawww wrote:How much does a 1br apartment with utilities etc. typically run?

Anywhere from 400-1400. All depends on how far away you are willing to live and what you are looking for.
I haven't been accepted yet, but I'm trying to compare COL to other schools I've been accepted at. Ideally, I'd like to be a bike ride or short drive away. How much would a 1br for something like that run?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MichNole19

New

Post by MichNole19 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:09 pm

Crazyness, I guess I'm thankful that I haven't had any problems, knock on wood. And Slawww for what it's worth as a reference It's $826 last I checked at the Continuum for a studio but that's fully furnished, and utilities, cable, internet and water, W + D included. It was the cheapest option I could find by time you added cable/internet to any of the other 1 bedrooms, especially if I successfully get out of my lease for the summer, it was way cheaper than any of the other options I could find, since I would be paying rent for 12 months there. And the drive to school is 5-10 minutes depending on traffic, it's only 2 miles down University some bike and others take the bus that is directly out front.

FeelTheHeat wrote:
1693 wrote:

sofl_law

New

Post by sofl_law » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:25 pm

There are tons of great places to live for way cheaper than $800 a month that will include cable and internet and utilities. Look into renting a condo with roommates. Check out craigslist as well. Also be mindful that parking at UF is INSANE. Traffic during the school day is also crazy. Most students take the bus to campus. Its free with your Gator1 ID card and they run frequently (every 8-15 minutes depending on where you are). So I would advise looking for somewhere with great bus routes.

I did my Undergrad at UF. Just graduated in Dec.
Last edited by sofl_law on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronze

Post by 1693 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:25 pm

MichNole19 wrote:Crazyness, I guess I'm thankful that I haven't had any problems, knock on wood. And Slawww for what it's worth as a reference It's $826 last I checked at the Continuum for a studio but that's fully furnished, and utilities, cable, internet and water, W + D included. It was the cheapest option I could find by time you added cable/internet to any of the other 1 bedrooms, especially if I successfully get out of my lease for the summer, it was way cheaper than any of the other options I could find, since I would be paying rent for 12 months there. And the drive to school is 5-10 minutes depending on traffic, it's only 2 miles down University some bike and others take the bus that is directly out front.
Well, I definitely will look at this as an option for sure. If you don't mind me asking, what is the best way to get to the law building if you aren't living within walking distance? Is parking extremely limited to where you need to arrive really early and lose your spot if you leave in the afternoon? Or is taking the bus just better (and are they reliable)? Thanks!!

sofl_law

New

Post by sofl_law » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:28 pm

1693 wrote:
MichNole19 wrote:Crazyness, I guess I'm thankful that I haven't had any problems, knock on wood. And Slawww for what it's worth as a reference It's $826 last I checked at the Continuum for a studio but that's fully furnished, and utilities, cable, internet and water, W + D included. It was the cheapest option I could find by time you added cable/internet to any of the other 1 bedrooms, especially if I successfully get out of my lease for the summer, it was way cheaper than any of the other options I could find, since I would be paying rent for 12 months there. And the drive to school is 5-10 minutes depending on traffic, it's only 2 miles down University some bike and others take the bus that is directly out front.
Well, I definitely will look at this as an option for sure. If you don't mind me asking, what is the best way to get to the law building if you aren't living within walking distance? Is parking extremely limited to where you need to arrive really early and lose your spot if you leave in the afternoon? Or is taking the bus just better (and are they reliable)? Thanks!!
The buses are reliable. Even if you miss one the next one is usually there 10 minutes later. Parking is ridiculous and extremely limited. You may have to park far from the law school and take a bus anyway if you drive.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bronze

Post by 1693 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:32 pm

sofl_law wrote:
1693 wrote:
The buses are reliable. Even if you miss one the next one is usually there 10 minutes later. Parking is ridiculous and extremely limited. You may have to park far from the law school and take a bus anyway if you drive.
That's what I expected... oh well. Thanks for the info though. Also, freaky how you pretty much answered my original question with your previous post before I even hit submit on mine haha. Good stuff.

edit: Are you attending UF again for law school?

sofl_law

New

Post by sofl_law » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:33 pm

Well, I definitely will look at this as an option for sure. If you don't mind me asking, what is the best way to get to the law building if you aren't living within walking distance? Is parking extremely limited to where you need to arrive really early and lose your spot if you leave in the afternoon? Or is taking the bus just better (and are they reliable)? Thanks!![/quote]

The buses are reliable. Even if you miss one the next one is usually there 10 minutes later. Parking is ridiculous and extremely limited. You may have to park far from the law school and take a bus anyway if you drive.[/quote]

That's what I expected... oh well. Thanks for the info though. Also, freaky how you pretty much answered my original question with your previous post before I even hit submit on mine haha. Good stuff.[/quote]

Lol I was thinking the exact same thing! And yes I am. I already submitted my seat deposit.

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:36 pm

Thanks for the info! 826 is not bad at all for 1 br with everything + W&D etc. compared to the other places I've been looking at in other cities.

MichNole19

New

Post by MichNole19 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:36 pm

I've never had a problem with parking, as 1L's I've always have early class 9am and there is parking at the law school. We have different color decals than undergrads so only law students park in our lot and it seems there are always spots, not tons but spots avaliable, never heard about anyone having problem finding parking in the morning. I use to spend hours looking for parking in undergrad and I've never spent more than 10 minutes looking for parking this whole year, I applaude UF on the different color parking decals!

And let me rephrase my previous comments, I couldn't find anything less than $800 inclusive to live by myself.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sofl_law

New

Post by sofl_law » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:41 pm

MichNole19 wrote:I've never had a problem with parking, as 1L's I've always have early class 9am and there is parking at the law school. We have different color decals than undergrads so only law students park in our lot and it seems there are always spots, not tons but spots avaliable, never heard about anyone having problem finding parking in the morning. I use to spend hours looking for parking in undergrad and I've never spent more than 10 minutes looking for parking this whole year, I applaude UF on the different color parking decals!

And let me rephrase my previous comments, I couldn't find anything less than $800 inclusive to live by myself.
Well, I could see how it would be easier to find parking in the morning but I could imagine it's a lot more difficult mid day.

Btw.. have you tried renting a 1BR condo from Windsor Park? It's between $675 and $725, cable and internet included. W/D. Really quiet area, I'm always around there. You just have to pay your own utilities, but some of the owners give you a $50 cap included in your rent.

Bronze

Post by 1693 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:43 pm

sofl_law wrote: Lol I was thinking the exact same thing! And yes I am. I already submitted my seat deposit.
Congrats! I plan on submitting mine soon. Thinking of making the drive up to Gville for admitted students beforehand since I haven't actually seen the facilities yet as well. Hope to possibly find a roommate and get a 2/2 or something similar next year as well.

sofl_law

New

Post by sofl_law » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:48 pm

1693 wrote:
sofl_law wrote: Lol I was thinking the exact same thing! And yes I am. I already submitted my seat deposit.
Congrats! I plan on submitting mine soon. Thinking of making the drive up to Gville for admitted students beforehand since I haven't actually seen the facilities yet as well.
Thank you! Congrats to you as well! You should definitely go and see it. I won't be going because I can't afford to miss work and I've already visited more than a few times. But it's really nice and everyone there is really friendly!

Bronze

Post by 1693 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:52 pm

sofl_law wrote:
1693 wrote:
Congrats! I plan on submitting mine soon. Thinking of making the drive up to Gville for admitted students beforehand since I haven't actually seen the facilities yet as well.
Thank you! Congrats to you as well! You should definitely go and see it. I won't be going because I can't afford to miss work and I've already visited more than a few times. But it's really nice and everyone there is really friendly!
Refreshing to hear. I have been to campus a few times and know it is really really great. I originally was leaning towards staying in Miami at FIU but every attorney I've talking to down here couldn't stress enough how many more doors UF would open. Looking forward to visiting!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sofl_law

New

Post by sofl_law » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:05 am

1693 wrote:
sofl_law wrote:
1693 wrote:
Refreshing to hear. I have been to campus a few times and know it is really really great. I originally was leaning towards staying in Miami at FIU but every attorney I've talking to down here couldn't stress enough how many more doors UF would open. Looking forward to visiting!
I felt the same way. I was going to go to FIU or UM but I got talked out of it as well.

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:45 am

1693 wrote:
UF2015 wrote:
Exactly. They are generally clean, everything works, and they are close to campus. They aren't anything to write home about, but Cazabella/Camelot/Hawaiian get the job done.

Are there any other places near campus you recommend looking at? Or perhaps another resource for finding a place. I would like to live near campus but in a complex not overrun with undergrads.... would be nice to have a place where I can study quietly as well.
All of these places have minimal amounts of undergrads because they are too far from the main campus but close to the law school. The further you go into the actual campus, the more undergrads there will be, except at places like the Continuum which is grad students only.

Also, parking is NOT bad at the law school. It is horrible at the undergrad campus but I only know a handful of people who take the bus. As long as you show up to school before 10:00am you get great parking every day. If you leave in the middle of the day, it may be hard to find a spot in the main lot again. When I first got here, I expected to take the bus to the law school. I've only ended up doing that once and it was because I had a flat tire.

EG12

New

Post by EG12 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:15 am

Parking is never a problem at the law school. The law school is at the extreme corner of the campus, kind-of it's own little world. As everyone has been posting, there are so many houses and apartments nearby; finding a place that is reasonable that is within walking distance is not hard to do. Speaking of UM and FIU, I spoke with two transfer students from each on one of my visits. Both said it was exponentially better at UF than those respectively. If I'm not mistaken they said that UM's curve was extremely harsh.

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:33 pm

"Final Decision Reached, Notice Issued." FINALLY. Hopefully it's good news. I haven't gotten a rejection e-mail, so hopefully that means I didn't get dinged. Please no wait-list!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”