Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
leepokman

New

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Post by leepokman » Fri May 17, 2013 11:39 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
BitterSplitter wrote:
leepokman wrote:Just withdrew today with $90k scholarship. Very difficult decision, good luck for those on the waitlist.
lol bad move bro
It is a really risky move and a very difficult decision. I talked to UCI career office multiple times and they reassured me that there are quite a few big local law firms from Orange county committed into hiring UCI law grads and looks like they have pretty good solid employment statistics as well. But then again they are brand new schools without much history while Minnesota is one of the T20 school so I am taking a calculated risk. They offer me a very sizable scholarship as well that's why I decided to go with UCI. Hope it turns out ok.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri May 17, 2013 11:40 pm

crossingfingers

Bronze

Post by crossingfingers » Sat May 18, 2013 12:40 am

Admitted off the waitlist today via phone call before being emailed the details and scholarship offer. Now for the wildly difficult decision between Emory and UMN. I love both schools and cities... Crap. This was much easier when I was less excited about my options.

Good luck to those waiting, hope my offer is a sign of good things for you all!

atwardow

New

Post by atwardow » Sat May 18, 2013 10:00 am

crossingfingers wrote:Admitted off the waitlist today via phone call before being emailed the details and scholarship offer. Now for the wildly difficult decision between Emory and UMN. I love both schools and cities... Crap. This was much easier when I was less excited about my options.

Where would you like to practice/live long-term?

crossingfingers

Bronze

Post by crossingfingers » Mon May 20, 2013 3:53 pm

atwardow wrote:
crossingfingers wrote:Admitted off the waitlist today via phone call before being emailed the details and scholarship offer. Now for the wildly difficult decision between Emory and UMN. I love both schools and cities... Crap. This was much easier when I was less excited about my options.

Where would you like to practice/live long-term?
I don't have much of a preference for anything other that in a medium to large (and reasonably affordable... I'm through with the market here in the Bay Area) city. My partner needs to work in an urban area, so these cities both pass the test. I would prefer UMN if they were both free, but I've done budgets for both and it looks like Emory is about 6-7k cheaper per year (including the offers but before interest). If only that were a bit closer!

Has anyone else noticed that UMNs cost of living estimate seems crazily low? I feel like most schools estimate more than you'd need, but despite slightly cheaper rent in the Atlanta area, Emory has a cost of living estimate about 50% higher than UMN's. Other than cheaper public transit (U-pass) and $800 less on health insurance, I can't really figure why else there would be such an extreme difference.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 20, 2013 4:50 pm

leepokman wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
BitterSplitter wrote:
leepokman wrote:Just withdrew today with $90k scholarship. Very difficult decision, good luck for those on the waitlist.
lol bad move bro
It is a really risky move and a very difficult decision. I talked to UCI career office multiple times and they reassured me that there are quite a few big local law firms from Orange county committed into hiring UCI law grads and looks like they have pretty good solid employment statistics as well. But then again they are brand new schools without much history while Minnesota is one of the T20 school so I am taking a calculated risk. They offer me a very sizable scholarship as well that's why I decided to go with UCI. Hope it turns out ok.
I was actually referring to BitterSplitter's decision; I would not comment on yours leepokman without knowing the facts and financial details. By turning down a defensible aid offer from UMN, BS committed himself to GWU @ sticker. bad move, bro. shoulda stuck with UMN.

BitterSplitter

Bronze

Post by BitterSplitter » Mon May 20, 2013 6:39 pm

Last edited by BitterSplitter on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Mon May 20, 2013 6:50 pm

I hate to break it to you but you're unlucky to get biglaw at either school. And here's another dirty secret about law school: once you get outside of the big jobs (jobs that have a formulaic approach to hiring) your grades don't really matter.

BitterSplitter

Bronze

Post by BitterSplitter » Mon May 20, 2013 7:03 pm

Last edited by BitterSplitter on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Mon May 20, 2013 7:05 pm

BitterSplitter wrote:
minnbills wrote:I hate to break it to you but you're unlucky to get biglaw at either school.
Sorry, what do you mean by that?
freudian slip, I meant unlikely. I do think most people should reconsider their attachment to biglaw though. Getting pushed out after a few years with no real experience, or burning out, would really suck.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 20, 2013 8:32 pm

minnbills wrote:
BitterSplitter wrote:
minnbills wrote:I hate to break it to you but you're unlucky to get biglaw at either school.
Sorry, what do you mean by that?
freudian slip, I meant unlikely. I do think most people should reconsider their attachment to biglaw though. Getting pushed out after a few years with no real experience, or burning out, would really suck.
Sure it would, but its statistically far less likely than a positive outcome. See Regulus' spreadsheet and analysis for details. To quote his data from memory, 69% of NLJ250 associates left their first firm between starting and 5 years (with the remaining 31% going on to partner or senior track = good outcomes). 72% of those who left either went to another top firm, fed clerkship, or inhouse counsel at a large company, all strong career outcomes.The remaining 28% of that 69% were in business or at a smaller firm, potentially a "less than positive" outcome.

All in all, 31% + 69%*72% = 81% of starting nlj250 associates have definitely positive trajectories, including all those who "burn out" or get fired.. Worse case scenario that is 19% but its much more likely many among those are attributable to self selection.

So biglaw is worth it if you want that kind of life IMO and exit options are overwhelmingly positive

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Mon May 20, 2013 8:37 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Sure it would, but its statistically far less likely than a positive outcome. See Regulus' spreadsheet and analysis for details. To quote his data from memory, 69% of NLJ250 associates left their first firm between starting and 5 years (with the remaining 31% going on to partner or senior track = good outcomes). 72% of those who left either went to another top firm, fed clerkship, or inhouse counsel at a large company, all strong career outcomes.The remaining 28% of that 69% were in business or at a smaller firm, potentially a "less than positive" outcome.

All in all, 31% + 69%*72% = 81% of starting nlj250 associates have definitely positive trajectories, including all those who "burn out" or get fired.. Worse case scenario that is 19% but its much more likely many among those are attributable to self selection.

So biglaw is worth it if you want that kind of life IMO and exit options are overwhelmingly positive
If you want to work in corporate eventually then it's a great track. "Senior" track at a big firm doesn't sound positive to me though. Slaving away for 70-80 hours a week making a fraction of what a partner makes sucks.

sheetsofpaper

New

Post by sheetsofpaper » Tue May 21, 2013 10:00 am

Congratulations!! That is great news!

How long do they give you to decide on their offer? Also, is the security deposit due immediately after you accept? I haven't been able to find information on this. Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sailwoanchor

New

Post by sailwoanchor » Tue May 21, 2013 6:46 pm

In off the waitlist as of 5/20. Tried to negotiate a better scholarship, even though I was "below average" without much leverage, and was unsuccessful. However, looks like I'll still be attending in the fall.

omab85

New

Post by omab85 » Fri May 24, 2013 2:14 am

what were your numbers? if you don't mind me asking.

liupang

New

Post by liupang » Fri May 24, 2013 5:46 pm

Very strange things happened to me.

Just got this email: "Thank you for applying to the University of Minnesota Law School. This email acknowledges the withdrawal of your application."

But I didn't withdraw my application. :!: :?: I submitted my seat deposit one month ago.

Called the admissions office and they are closed. Right now I am so confused.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Fri May 24, 2013 9:15 pm

liupang wrote:Very strange things happened to me.

Just got this email: "Thank you for applying to the University of Minnesota Law School. This email acknowledges the withdrawal of your application."

But I didn't withdraw my application. :!: :?: I submitted my seat deposit one month ago.

Called the admissions office and they are closed. Right now I am so confused.
You'll be fine, they probably just got you mixed up. Just make sure you straighten it out with them

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sailwoanchor

New

Post by sailwoanchor » Mon May 27, 2013 7:57 am

omab85 wrote:what were your numbers? if you don't mind me asking.
3.58 165

harve242

New

Post by harve242 » Wed May 29, 2013 12:35 pm

Any more movement on the wait list for anybody? Still waiting... :?

basketball law guy

New

Post by basketball law guy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:47 pm

Wow- read today that U of M law school is increasing resident tuition by 9% for next year (proposed, don't think it has passed legislature yet). I did not see what non-resident % increase will be- anybody else know?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:58 pm

basketball law guy wrote:Wow- read today that U of M law school is increasing resident tuition by 9% for next year (proposed, don't think it has passed legislature yet). I did not see what non-resident % increase will be- anybody else know?
Hopfully nothing :(

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:07 pm

basketball law guy wrote:Wow- read today that U of M law school is increasing resident tuition by 9% for next year (proposed, don't think it has passed legislature yet). I did not see what non-resident % increase will be- anybody else know?
That's bullshit. They just got a 9 million dollar grant. Plus the legislature passed a tuition freeze. I'm pissed.

sailwoanchor

New

Post by sailwoanchor » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:11 pm

Definite bullshit. Not a big fan of this.

"Graduate students will see increases in their tuition -- about 3 percent for most, but as much as 9 percent for resident first-year law students, who will pay $38,000 in tuition alone."

http://www.twincities.com/education/ci_ ... freeze-and

luxurylawyer

Bronze

Post by luxurylawyer » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:22 am

minnbills wrote:
That's bullshit. They just got a 9 million dollar grant. Plus the legislature passed a tuition freeze. I'm pissed.
The school can't even make money selling alcohol at football games. They need to make up for losses somewhere.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:36 pm

luxurylawyer wrote:
minnbills wrote:
The school can't even make money selling alcohol at football games. They need to make up for losses somewhere.
TBF the law school is pretty much independent financially.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”