Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Post Reply
User avatar
franklyscarlet

Gold
Posts: 2918
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Post by franklyscarlet » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:17 pm

danitt wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
bobloblawstudent wrote:hey everyone...

i am wondering if there are any current NU students or recent grads that can discuss why NU is a good school to go to?
I know it is a t-14 (albeit one of the lower ones) but still has excellent employment rates in certain areas. I was accepted a few weeks ago but i'm fresh out of undergrad and wondering if it will be more fruitful in the long run to take a year off (work/retake the lsat) and apply to the higher ranked schools. less interested in a discussion about the numbers game and weighing my chances of getting in somewhere else- i just want some solid advice about how NU is as a school and community.

thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help me out!
seconding what other people have said about checking the other threads out. Short version- this is a really damn friendly place to go to school. I'm pretty in love with my classmates, Northwestern, and Chicago in general.
As a fellow islander I'm skeptical.
If I can survive, you can survive! The city is amazing and makes up for the weather. Plus, it makes going home at the holidays a million times better :) I don't think I've ever enjoyed it there more than this Christmas.

User avatar
rinkrat19

Diamond
Posts: 13922
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:18 pm

danitt wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
bobloblawstudent wrote:hey everyone...

i am wondering if there are any current NU students or recent grads that can discuss why NU is a good school to go to?
I know it is a t-14 (albeit one of the lower ones) but still has excellent employment rates in certain areas. I was accepted a few weeks ago but i'm fresh out of undergrad and wondering if it will be more fruitful in the long run to take a year off (work/retake the lsat) and apply to the higher ranked schools. less interested in a discussion about the numbers game and weighing my chances of getting in somewhere else- i just want some solid advice about how NU is as a school and community.

thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help me out!
seconding what other people have said about checking the other threads out. Short version- this is a really damn friendly place to go to school. I'm pretty in love with my classmates, Northwestern, and Chicago in general.
As a fellow islander I'm skeptical.
I'm one of the most "OMG MY HOMETOWN IS THE BESTEST" people here and even I think Chicago is pretty awesomeballs.

User avatar
Cobretti

Gold
Posts: 2593
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Post by Cobretti » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:14 pm

Just in case any of you weren't already freaking out about tomorrow...
@tweetsbyjohann wrote: finally getting out of the office. there will be more decisions next week. really trying to make a push.
GL all

LRGhost

Gold
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Post by LRGhost » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:18 pm

mrizza wrote:Just in case any of you weren't already freaking out about tomorrow...
@tweetsbyjohann wrote: finally getting out of the office. there will be more decisions next week. really trying to make a push.
GL all
Argh, maybe I should have sent in my Why NW this morning.

PBateman1

Bronze
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Post by PBateman1 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:35 pm

Has anyone done an on campus interview recently? If so have you heard your decision since then? I have mine this week. I originally elected to not interview but I thought that doing one might increase my chances of admission.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


User avatar
JayJones78

Gold
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Post by JayJones78 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:59 pm

mrizza wrote:Just in case any of you weren't already freaking out about tomorrow...
@tweetsbyjohann wrote: finally getting out of the office. there will be more decisions next week. really trying to make a push.
GL all
Tomorrow is the day... My dream may be crushed. But faith is strong. Luckily I live on the west coast so I'll know relatively early.

I hope everyone did as I did and subscribed to Johann and NUadmissions' tweets

Betharl

Bronze
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Post by Betharl » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:40 pm

Quick question about part b for the fin aid essays.

b.Northwestern Law administers an extensive program of scholarships and grants, all of which are awarded on a combined basis of merit and financial need. Please assess your position for merit aid and discuss your financial need for aid. (300-500 words)

I already wrote an answer for this, but I didn't talk about my accomplishments/achievements etc. Is that what they mean by "position for merit aid"? I mean, they have my LSAT, GPA, and resume already and I would feel weird writing something to the effect of: "I'm really awesome, look at all my accomplishments, you should give me a scholarship." My answer was mainly about my need for aid/financial situation and how much I like NU. Is that alright?

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Bronze
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Post by WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:41 pm

For held applicants:

If you've sent them an update already, did you get an email back confirming receipt of it?

User avatar
rinkrat19

Diamond
Posts: 13922
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:50 pm

Betharl wrote:Quick question about part b for the fin aid essays.

b.Northwestern Law administers an extensive program of scholarships and grants, all of which are awarded on a combined basis of merit and financial need. Please assess your position for merit aid and discuss your financial need for aid. (300-500 words)

I already wrote an answer for this, but I didn't talk about my accomplishments/achievements etc. Is that what they mean by "position for merit aid"? I mean, they have my LSAT, GPA, and resume already and I would feel weird writing something to the effect of: "I'm really awesome, look at all my accomplishments, you should give me a scholarship." My answer was mainly about my need for aid/financial situation and how much I like NU. Is that alright?
You should address both points, need and merit. Don't just list off your GPA and LSAT and leave it there; describe why you are awesome. You can certainly mention your performance in college and your aptitude for important tests, but that shouldn't be all.

Dig up Johann's posts on G+/twitter (can't remember which) last year around scholarship time and you can see that he is not amused when people don't take it seriously.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


Betharl

Bronze
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Post by Betharl » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:01 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Betharl wrote:Quick question about part b for the fin aid essays.

b.Northwestern Law administers an extensive program of scholarships and grants, all of which are awarded on a combined basis of merit and financial need. Please assess your position for merit aid and discuss your financial need for aid. (300-500 words)

I already wrote an answer for this, but I didn't talk about my accomplishments/achievements etc. Is that what they mean by "position for merit aid"? I mean, they have my LSAT, GPA, and resume already and I would feel weird writing something to the effect of: "I'm really awesome, look at all my accomplishments, you should give me a scholarship." My answer was mainly about my need for aid/financial situation and how much I like NU. Is that alright?
You should address both points, need and merit. Don't just list off your GPA and LSAT and leave it there; describe why you are awesome. You can certainly mention your performance in college and your aptitude for important tests, but that shouldn't be all.

Dig up Johann's posts on G+/twitter (can't remember which) last year around scholarship time and you can see that he is not amused when people don't take it seriously.
I took it seriously, but didn't mention LSAT or GPA or anything about how awesome I am. Mainly focused on the need part I guess. Hmmmm, how to brag without sounding entitled... Back to the drawing board I guess.

User avatar
rinkrat19

Diamond
Posts: 13922
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:17 pm

Betharl wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Betharl wrote:Quick question about part b for the fin aid essays.

b.Northwestern Law administers an extensive program of scholarships and grants, all of which are awarded on a combined basis of merit and financial need. Please assess your position for merit aid and discuss your financial need for aid. (300-500 words)

I already wrote an answer for this, but I didn't talk about my accomplishments/achievements etc. Is that what they mean by "position for merit aid"? I mean, they have my LSAT, GPA, and resume already and I would feel weird writing something to the effect of: "I'm really awesome, look at all my accomplishments, you should give me a scholarship." My answer was mainly about my need for aid/financial situation and how much I like NU. Is that alright?
You should address both points, need and merit. Don't just list off your GPA and LSAT and leave it there; describe why you are awesome. You can certainly mention your performance in college and your aptitude for important tests, but that shouldn't be all.

Dig up Johann's posts on G+/twitter (can't remember which) last year around scholarship time and you can see that he is not amused when people don't take it seriously.
I took it seriously, but didn't mention LSAT or GPA or anything about how awesome I am. Mainly focused on the need part I guess. Hmmmm, how to brag without sounding entitled... Back to the drawing board I guess.
Part of taking it seriously is following the instructions. 8)

Betharl

Bronze
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Post by Betharl » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:26 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Betharl wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Betharl wrote:Quick question about part b for the fin aid essays.

b.Northwestern Law administers an extensive program of scholarships and grants, all of which are awarded on a combined basis of merit and financial need. Please assess your position for merit aid and discuss your financial need for aid. (300-500 words)

I already wrote an answer for this, but I didn't talk about my accomplishments/achievements etc. Is that what they mean by "position for merit aid"? I mean, they have my LSAT, GPA, and resume already and I would feel weird writing something to the effect of: "I'm really awesome, look at all my accomplishments, you should give me a scholarship." My answer was mainly about my need for aid/financial situation and how much I like NU. Is that alright?
You should address both points, need and merit. Don't just list off your GPA and LSAT and leave it there; describe why you are awesome. You can certainly mention your performance in college and your aptitude for important tests, but that shouldn't be all.

Dig up Johann's posts on G+/twitter (can't remember which) last year around scholarship time and you can see that he is not amused when people don't take it seriously.
I took it seriously, but didn't mention LSAT or GPA or anything about how awesome I am. Mainly focused on the need part I guess. Hmmmm, how to brag without sounding entitled... Back to the drawing board I guess.
Part of taking it seriously is following the instructions. 8)
Fair enough. I guess I didn't understand the prompt and was a little incredulous they'd want you to brag about yourself like that, especially when they already have that information. Oh well, I'll figure it out.

User avatar
rinkrat19

Diamond
Posts: 13922
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:39 pm

Betharl wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Part of taking it seriously is following the instructions. 8)
Fair enough. I guess I didn't understand the prompt and was a little incredulous they'd want you to brag about yourself like that, especially when they already have that information. Oh well, I'll figure it out.
It's like explaining to your boss why you deserve a raise. Presumably he knows what you do already, but you have to frame the argument for him.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


User avatar
cookiejar1

Silver
Posts: 867
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:07 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Post by cookiejar1 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:08 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Betharl wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Part of taking it seriously is following the instructions. 8)
Fair enough. I guess I didn't understand the prompt and was a little incredulous they'd want you to brag about yourself like that, especially when they already have that information. Oh well, I'll figure it out.
It's like explaining to your boss why you deserve a raise. Presumably he knows what you do already, but you have to frame the argument for him.
So sexual favors and/or blackmail?

User avatar
JayJones78

Gold
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Post by JayJones78 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:18 am

Good luck to all my fellow AJDs for tomorrow's final curtain call

We all love, adore and cherish NU. I think this thread is a great testament for it!
Hopefully Johann will let us all in

User avatar
feralinfant

Silver
Posts: 893
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Post by feralinfant » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:34 am

cookiejar1 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Betharl wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Part of taking it seriously is following the instructions. 8)
Fair enough. I guess I didn't understand the prompt and was a little incredulous they'd want you to brag about yourself like that, especially when they already have that information. Oh well, I'll figure it out.
It's like explaining to your boss why you deserve a raise. Presumably he knows what you do already, but you have to frame the argument for him.
So sexual favors and/or blackmail?
8) :lol:

i assume that they expect this since they want applicants w/ REAL work experience.

fivestarfolds

Silver
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Post by fivestarfolds » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:36 am

-
Last edited by fivestarfolds on Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


Volforlife

Bronze
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Post by Volforlife » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:40 am

fivestarfolds wrote:
WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:For held applicants:

If you've sent them an update already, did you get an email back confirming receipt of it?
I sent a letter but didn't receive confirmation.
I did a post-hold interview and sent some stuff via mail. No confirmations or updates so far.

wisteria

Bronze
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:43 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Post by wisteria » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:53 am

Send another email. I submitted an update and didn't receive a confirmation. A week later, I followed up with another email and they got back to me within one day.

User avatar
hhockberger

Bronze
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:28 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Post by hhockberger » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:05 am

.
Last edited by hhockberger on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aparachl

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Post by aparachl » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:16 am

Hi, I was wondering where one finds these two financial aid essay questions? Perhaps they are only for 3year program folks (I'm AJD and there is no mention of these in NW's email or the NeedAccess form)? Thanks!
Betharl wrote:Quick question about part b for the fin aid essays.

b.Northwestern Law administers an extensive program of scholarships and grants, all of which are awarded on a combined basis of merit and financial need. Please assess your position for merit aid and discuss your financial need for aid. (300-500 words)

I already wrote an answer for this, but I didn't talk about my accomplishments/achievements etc. Is that what they mean by "position for merit aid"? I mean, they have my LSAT, GPA, and resume already and I would feel weird writing something to the effect of: "I'm really awesome, look at all my accomplishments, you should give me a scholarship." My answer was mainly about my need for aid/financial situation and how much I like NU. Is that alright?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


User avatar
rinkrat19

Diamond
Posts: 13922
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:18 am

aparachl wrote:Hi, I was wondering where one finds these two financial aid essay questions? Perhaps they are only for 3year program folks (I'm AJD and there is no mention of these in NW's email or the NeedAccess form)? Thanks!
Betharl wrote:Quick question about part b for the fin aid essays.

b.Northwestern Law administers an extensive program of scholarships and grants, all of which are awarded on a combined basis of merit and financial need. Please assess your position for merit aid and discuss your financial need for aid. (300-500 words)

I already wrote an answer for this, but I didn't talk about my accomplishments/achievements etc. Is that what they mean by "position for merit aid"? I mean, they have my LSAT, GPA, and resume already and I would feel weird writing something to the effect of: "I'm really awesome, look at all my accomplishments, you should give me a scholarship." My answer was mainly about my need for aid/financial situation and how much I like NU. Is that alright?
AJD doesn't do them. http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... ctions.pdf

User avatar
fruitoftheloom

Bronze
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Post by fruitoftheloom » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:23 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
aparachl wrote:Hi, I was wondering where one finds these two financial aid essay questions? Perhaps they are only for 3year program folks (I'm AJD and there is no mention of these in NW's email or the NeedAccess form)? Thanks!
Betharl wrote:Quick question about part b for the fin aid essays.

b.Northwestern Law administers an extensive program of scholarships and grants, all of which are awarded on a combined basis of merit and financial need. Please assess your position for merit aid and discuss your financial need for aid. (300-500 words)

I already wrote an answer for this, but I didn't talk about my accomplishments/achievements etc. Is that what they mean by "position for merit aid"? I mean, they have my LSAT, GPA, and resume already and I would feel weird writing something to the effect of: "I'm really awesome, look at all my accomplishments, you should give me a scholarship." My answer was mainly about my need for aid/financial situation and how much I like NU. Is that alright?
AJD doesn't do them. http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... ctions.pdf
I'm also AJD and I called the office and confirmed that we are not required to write any of the essays.

User avatar
JayJones78

Gold
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Post by JayJones78 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:31 am

Awaiting a johann tweet update...

User avatar
Cobretti

Gold
Posts: 2593
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Post by Cobretti » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:16 pm

JayJones78 wrote:Awaiting a johann tweet update...
Last week he tweeted around 1245 CST, week before that was 1045 CST. Still mindlessly checking for updates now though

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!


Post Reply

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”