Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HawkeyeGirl

Bronze

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Post by HawkeyeGirl » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:20 pm

If I recall correctly, I had to give them a copy of my resume when I checked in. That might have been my Kellogg interview though...

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:20 pm

I'm pretty sure they asked for mine when I checked in.

mac35352

Bronze

Post by mac35352 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:30 pm

I got this email before my on campus interview:

Just a quick note to remind you that you have an appointment scheduled at the following time:

Interview Type:  On-Campus Interview
Date:  Thursday, December 27, 2012
Time:  3:30pm

Interviews, unless otherwise specified, are held in the Admissions Office; Room 130 in the Rubloff Building, 375 E. Chicago Ave., Chicago, IL 60611.  You should arrive at the Admissions Office at least 10 minutes prior to your appointment.

Please bring a copy of your current resume to your interview. Failure to bring or provide a resume may negatively impact our overall evaluation of the interview

If you have indicated on your admissions application that you have no intent to interview and you are now electing to schedule an interview, you must write to our office at admissions@law.northwestern.edu, indicating you want your application held until your interview occurs. Failure to inform us in writing will result in an admissions decision prior to your interview.

If you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment, you may do so

mjharri4

New

Post by mjharri4 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:32 pm

You just walk up to the desk, give the clerk your name, they'll ask for your resume, and then have you fill out this information sheet. When you're done, return the sheet and they'll call you back for the interview. At least this is how my on campus interview went.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:32 pm

mac35352 wrote:I got this email before my on campus interview:

Just a quick note to remind you that you have an appointment scheduled at the following time:

Interviews, unless otherwise specified, are held in the Admissions Office; Room 130 in the Rubloff Building, 375 E. Chicago Ave., Chicago, IL 60611.  You should arrive at the Admissions Office at least 10 minutes prior to your appointment.

Please bring a copy of your current resume to your interview. Failure to bring or provide a resume may negatively impact our overall evaluation of the interview

If you have indicated on your admissions application that you have no intent to interview and you are now electing to schedule an interview, you must write to our office at admissions@law.northwestern.edu, indicating you want your application held until your interview occurs. Failure to inform us in writing will result in an admissions decision prior to your interview.

+1
Treat this as a job interview. Because it is

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

az21833

Silver

Post by az21833 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:33 pm

haha okay cool thanks guys

oaken

Bronze

Post by oaken » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:34 pm

make eye contact, walk firmly forward with resume in outstretched hand, but don't speak, smile or shake hands until they've accepted the resume. then kiss quickly on both cheeks and sit down.

HawkeyeGirl

Bronze

Post by HawkeyeGirl » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:39 pm

Just make sure they know your business card is in bone.

simplycatalina

Silver

Post by simplycatalina » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:41 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
mac35352 wrote:I got this email before my on campus interview:

+1
Yes, it's very much like a job interview. I brought my resume, filled out my info on a separate form, and then gave her this form and my resume. My interviewer picked up both, looked them over briefly, and then called me in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:44 pm

HawkeyeGirl wrote:Just make sure they know your business card is in bone.
+one billion

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:45 pm

So any votes for movement tomorrow or just Friday?

PBateman1

Bronze

Post by PBateman1 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:13 pm

HawkeyeGirl wrote:Just make sure they know your business card is in bone.
And the lettering is something called Silian Rail

robot_socrates

New

Post by robot_socrates » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:38 am

I'm checking out--I just withdrew. I hope one of you guys gets my spot :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gisney

Bronze

Post by Gisney » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:41 am

robot_socrates wrote:I'm checking out--I just withdrew. I hope one of you guys gets my spot :D
Dibs!

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:42 am

JayJones78 wrote:So any votes for movement tomorrow or just Friday?
I am hopeful for movement today. I hate waiting and I just want to know if I got in or not. I am expecting a rejection so it won't hurt too much if it happens, but an acceptance would be one of the most amazing things ever.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:02 am

Dmini7 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:So any votes for movement tomorrow or just Friday?
I am hopeful for movement today. I hate waiting and I just want to know if I got in or not. I am expecting a rejection so it won't hurt too much if it happens, but an acceptance would be one of the most amazing things ever.
Right there with you about chances. I really want this, and and an acceptance will be incredible, but I'm trying to keep expectations low.

I do think there will be some AJD movement today and for certain tomorrow since it's the last two days before their quoted deadline on 2/1 arrives. Hopefully they're committed to sticking to it :)

maxiguess

Bronze

Post by maxiguess » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:06 pm

How long is a week in Chicago?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:08 pm

maxiguess wrote:How long is a week in Chicago?
I think you should tweet johann with that question.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:35 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote: +1
Yes, it's very much like a job interview. I brought my resume, filled out my info on a separate form, and then gave her this form and my resume. My interviewer picked up both, looked them over briefly, and then called me in.
I just want to point out that while I cannot speak to the interview process on-campus (and I'm sure all these details are very pertinent and accurate for that), I did an off-campus interview in CA and it felt a little different. I work in consulting, so I know what corporate job interviews, performance reviews, ect. are like, and this was not at all similar to that. For anyone doing an off campus interview with NU:

I scheduled it early morning so I could get to my office after. We met at the interviewers law office, large (500+) IP firm.. he said no need for a suit, but I brought a jacket since I needed it for work after anyway. First thing he said to me was "this is not a job interview" (he was dressed in a purple shirt and jeans), and we proceeded to have a very friendly, cordial conversation about Northwestern, his semester in Australia, the bluhm clinics.. I did bring a resume, and he glanced at it to ask me about one summer internship I'd done in college, but it never felt like I had to prove anything, answer any hardball questions, or demonstrate any particular qualities, which is basically the opposite of a case interview at Deloitte or BCG for reference. We could have kept talking for hours, but I had to leave for work for a client call so I actually cut the 'interview' short, which I felt bad about but it made no difference. I emailed to thank him and he said he had submitted his interview review that day; I was accepted a few weeks later (this was back in November/December)

So relax if you are still considering an off campus interview

ultrasajid

Bronze

Post by ultrasajid » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:38 pm

My off-campus interview experience was a lot more like yours. My interviewer was great, but he didn't even ask about my resume.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:46 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
cbarlow1016 wrote:
I just want to point out that while I cannot speak to the interview process on-campus (and I'm sure all these details are very pertinent and accurate for that), I did an off-campus interview in CA and it felt a little different. I work in consulting, so I know what corporate job interviews, performance reviews, ect. are like, and this was not at all similar to that. For anyone doing an off campus interview with NU:

I scheduled it early morning so I could get to my office after. We met at the interviewers law office, large (500+) IP firm.. he said no need for a suit, but I brought a jacket since I needed it for work after anyway. First thing he said to me was "this is not a job interview" (he was dressed in a purple shirt and jeans), and we proceeded to have a very friendly, cordial conversation about Northwestern, his semester in Australia, the bluhm clinics.. I did bring a resume, and he glanced at it to ask me about one summer internship I'd done in college, but it never felt like I had to prove anything, answer any hardball questions, or demonstrate any particular qualities, which is basically the opposite of a case interview at Deloitte or BCG for reference. We could have kept talking for hours, but I had to leave for work for a client call so I actually cut the 'interview' short, which I felt bad about but it made no difference. I emailed to thank him and he said he had submitted his interview review that day; I was accepted a few weeks later (this was back in November/December)

On-campus has much more of a traditional job interview style. If you're meeting with the adcomms they will ask you about your resume, and they will be taking extensive notes on everything you say.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:48 pm

My off-campus interview was legitimately fun.

Slight derailment: if anyone wants to help me convince this kid to study for the LSAT, I think it could count as our mitzvah for the year (and its only January!).

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 7#p6365797

Edit: he last posted an hour ago but I think he'll be back.

MAHamlin

Bronze

Post by MAHamlin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:51 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
cbarlow1016 wrote:

My off-campus interview was very similar to this, although we were more formally dressed. The atmosphere was very relaxed and he, too, opened with a line similar to "this is not a job interview". In essence, he just offered to be a resource regarding questions I might have about Northwestern. He looked at my resume, but the only remark was that he knew one of my prior employers and thought highly of them. There were no actual questions about my work experience. The whole thing lasted about 30 minutes.

I doubt this helps current applicants much as the deadline for off-campus interviews has passed, but it's something to consider if people are planning on reapplying next cycle.

Also, does anyone know if on- versus off-campus interviews are given more weight?

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:52 pm

francesfarmer wrote:My off-campus interview was legitimately fun.

Slight derailment: if anyone wants to help me convince this kid to study for the LSAT, I think it could count as our mitzvah for the year (and its only January!).

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 7#p6365797

Edit: he last posted an hour ago but I think he'll be back.
Threw in my 2 cents

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:53 pm

mrizza wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
cbarlow1016 wrote:

On-campus has much more of a traditional job interview style. If you're meeting with the adcomms they will ask you about your resume, and they will be taking extensive notes on everything you say.
+1
That was one of the reasos I decided to invest $ and head to Chicago for an on-campus interview. I think that it goes into the core of the app and you give them the info they are really looking for when making a decision. Also, I think it shoes real interest. The fact that someone took time and spent money to come to interview, when one is not necessary or promises anything is IMHO a clear indication of interest to attend.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”