NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
megagnarley

Bronze

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Post by megagnarley » Thu May 23, 2013 3:02 pm

$0 for me.

My family is beyond broke but our damn zip code implies wealth.

What a shame.

rosietheriveter

New

Post by rosietheriveter » Thu May 23, 2013 3:03 pm

sideoffries wrote:
rosietheriveter wrote:OMG report back ASAP.
I successfully logged into the admitted students website
Congratulations!!!!

senorhosh

Bronze

Post by senorhosh » Thu May 23, 2013 3:35 pm

megagnarley wrote:$0 for me.

What a shame.
Same.
I did tell NYU as of now, under my current circumstances, I'll deposit... so I will.
However, I think I'll be riding the CCP waitlist.

Otherwise it's NYU at sticker for me

GoldHattedGatsby

Bronze

Post by GoldHattedGatsby » Thu May 23, 2013 3:42 pm

What a shame.
Are you still considering NYU then? If not, where're you heading off to?

senorhosh

Bronze

Post by senorhosh » Thu May 23, 2013 3:48 pm

GoldHattedGatsby wrote:

What a shame.
From his other thread seems like Michigan.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu May 23, 2013 3:49 pm

rosietheriveter wrote: So I know they are not allowed to offer students admission on the condition that they remove themselves from wait lists, but does anyone know where this rule is actually stipulated?

Thought LSAC was responsible for this, but they claim to have no idea.
You may find this useful: http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... power.aspx
I will add that my understanding of this portion of the Statement is that it extends to offers made off the wait list. That is, if you are placed on a wait list at a law school, you may remain on that school's wait list even if you have deposited or accepted a scholarship somewhere else -- because a wait list decision is neither an offer nor a rejection, it's effectively a "no decision." If at any point you are offered a spot off the waitlist, that would be a "new offer" that you are free to accept -- again, notwithstanding any scholarships you might have accepted at another law school.
This isn't "official", per se, but it does come from Asha Rangappa, and I would argue there are few better authorities on the subject.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Thu May 23, 2013 4:08 pm

wrote:
So I know they are not allowed to offer students admission on the condition that they remove themselves from wait lists, but does anyone know where this rule is actually stipulated?

Thought LSAC was responsible for this, but they claim to have no idea.
It's in LSAC statement of good admissions and financial aid practices, 2007-08.

skprowler

New

Post by skprowler » Thu May 23, 2013 4:57 pm

So two things:
1) I was also offered $0 initially from NYU, I appealed and was offered $25k. Not much, but not nothing. Its def worth appealing with some details on your situation.

2) I deposited for NYU on Monday, and got an email from Duke (already deposited) on Wednesday asking about my dual enrollment, and said if I didn't respond by today, I would be removed from Duke's enrollment. So they definitely find out from LSAC, and find out quick. I am sure you are allowed to stay on other waitlists, just can't be deposited in two places.

rosietheriveter

New

Post by rosietheriveter » Thu May 23, 2013 5:03 pm

skprowler wrote:So two things:
1) I was also offered $0 initially from NYU, I appealed and was offered $25k. Not much, but not nothing. Its def worth appealing with some details on your situation.

2) I deposited for NYU on Monday, and got an email from Duke (already deposited) on Wednesday asking about my dual enrollment, and said if I didn't respond by today, I would be removed from Duke's enrollment. So they definitely find out from LSAC, and find out quick. I am sure you are allowed to stay on other waitlists, just can't be deposited in two places.
Again, this is not a general rule. Each school has their own policy. Michigan, for example, allows dual deposits. Of course Duke does NOT allow double deposits because they require you to sign a certification along with your deposit that you will not deposit at any other schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Thu May 23, 2013 5:09 pm

rosietheriveter wrote:

Again, this is not a general rule. Each school has their own policy. Michigan, for example, allows dual deposits. Of course Duke does NOT allow double deposits because they require you to sign a certification along with your deposit that you will not deposit at any other schools.
Duke is by far the MOST paranoid T14 school. Constant emails asking if you're still interested, ridiculous YP, it was a complete turn off for me. I started ignoring them after awhile.

skprowler

New

Post by skprowler » Thu May 23, 2013 5:11 pm

rosietheriveter wrote:

Definitely agree, my only point is that LSAC does notify the schools, and quicker than I had expected.

GoldHattedGatsby

Bronze

Post by GoldHattedGatsby » Thu May 23, 2013 5:26 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:
rosietheriveter wrote:

Duke is by far the MOST paranoid T14 school. Constant emails asking if you're still interested, ridiculous YP, it was a complete turn off for me. I started ignoring them after awhile.
I can understand why they're so paranoid though: their small class size means that every mid-summer dropout has more than double the impact for them that the same dropout would have on larger schools like NYU and Michigan. Because of the reality that Duke is already a hard sell location-wise to anyone not from the South and the fact that it's always right on the bubble of being in the 'top ten' or the bottom of the T14, I imagine Duke has a harder time locking in very desirable candidates off the wait list, especially in comparisons to peer schools. So I can see why they want to do everything possible to lock in their class at the start of the summer and minimize the headaches they will have while trying to keep their numbers competitive through the summer.

longlivetheking

Bronze

Post by longlivetheking » Thu May 23, 2013 5:40 pm

GoldHattedGatsby wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:
rosietheriveter wrote:

I can understand why they're so paranoid though: their small class size means that every mid-summer dropout has more than double the impact for them that the same dropout would have on larger schools like NYU and Michigan. Because of the reality that Duke is already a hard sell location-wise to anyone not from the South and the fact that it's always right on the bubble of being in the 'top ten' or the bottom of the T14, I imagine Duke has a harder time locking in very desirable candidates off the wait list, especially in comparisons to peer schools. So I can see why they want to do everything possible to lock in their class at the start of the summer and minimize the headaches they will have while trying to keep their numbers competitive through the summer.
sucks to be them. :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

megagnarley

Bronze

Post by megagnarley » Thu May 23, 2013 5:45 pm

senorhosh wrote:
GoldHattedGatsby wrote:

What a shame.
Indeed.

Michigan with $67.5k seems to be the choice.

I have appealed urging them to please further consider the specifics of my financial situation, but barring any generosity on their part, I can't see myself paying 100k more for NYU, as much as I do love the school.

GoldHattedGatsby

Bronze

Post by GoldHattedGatsby » Thu May 23, 2013 5:53 pm

megagnarley wrote:
senorhosh wrote:
GoldHattedGatsby wrote:

What a shame.
Indeed.

I have appealed urging them to please further consider the specifics of my financial situation, but barring any generosity on their part, I can't see myself paying 100k more for NYU, as much as I do love the school.
Well have fun in Ann Arbor then; it's a terrific town

megagnarley

Bronze

Post by megagnarley » Thu May 23, 2013 5:59 pm

GoldHattedGatsby wrote:
megagnarley wrote:
senorhosh wrote:
GoldHattedGatsby wrote:
Indeed.

Well have fun in Ann Arbor then; it's a terrific town
Thank you kindly. And should NYU fail to change their mind I'll be throwing back in another admit for a worthy WL candidate.

atomist

New

Post by atomist » Thu May 23, 2013 10:09 pm

alphebetagamma wrote:
atomist wrote:Congrats to everyone who got in. Would you mind sharing your stats?

Also, when is the deposit deadline for you recent admits? I think a few weeks ago admits were given 10 days to respond. If so, is it reasonable to expect more WL admits in the second week of June?
toothbrush wrote:
alphebetagamma wrote:do we have an idea for NYU how many people are actually waitlisted and how many we expect to get accepted?
the waitlist e-mail said several hundred waitlisted? do we think this is like 300 or like 900?
thoughts?
:)
Much closer to 900. I believe my NYU WL threads google doc had ~90 people from TLS. Past data has suggested TLS is about 1/7 or 1/8 representative of the entire pool.

7x90 = 630
8x90 = 720

So about that I'd say.

As for how many accepted ? I'd guess ~ 300 total. That mean 30 tls'rs ?

However, a bunch have already said NO to the acceptance off the WL so maybe this year it will be more. It's hard to fill a big class size in a down cycle.
These numbers seem way high to me. For one, the info sheet that was attached to the initial email we received said that 'several hundred' applicants are offered spots on the WL, with '20 to 40%' declining to remain on it. So I was under the impression that the WL was around the 300 range. Second, it just boggles my mind that NYU would need to maintain a list 600/700 big. NYU admits roughly 20% of the applicant pool ED and RD, which comes out to a little over a 1000 students already. So why the need for such a gigantic WL? I just can't fathom a reason.
Just wondering, how did you get that NYU accepts roughtly 20% of the ED and RD applicant pool? Wouldn't it be more? Cause that would be around 1140 people (the waitlist letter says there were about 5700 applicants I think), and historically NYU makes about 1700-1800 offers of admission, which would mean 500+ offers off the waitlist.

I think people in the HLS waitlist thread expect Harvard to make about 150 offers of admission of the waitlist, so I'm wondering if NYU would make more than that number, given the difference in caliber? I wish they would make the number public of how many people were on the list...
You may be right -- I don't have hard and fast numbers as to the typical number of admits. I was under the impression that it was roughly a fifth, but it may very well be a forth.

However, I remain perplexed: why would a school of NYU's caliber need a wait list bigger than several hundred applicants? Does anyone have any idea as to the typical size of wait lists at other T-14 schools?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

longlivetheking

Bronze

Post by longlivetheking » Thu May 23, 2013 10:47 pm

You may be right -- I don't have hard and fast numbers as to the typical number of admits. I was under the impression that it was roughly a fifth, but it may very well be a forth.

However, I remain perplexed: why would a school of NYU's caliber need a wait list bigger than several hundred applicants? Does anyone have any idea as to the typical size of wait lists at other T-14 schools?
you should see columbia's WL, its like >50% of their applicant pool.

alphebetagamma

New

Post by alphebetagamma » Thu May 23, 2013 10:56 pm

atomist wrote: You may be right -- I don't have hard and fast numbers as to the typical number of admits. I was under the impression that it was roughly a fifth, but it may very well be a forth.

yeah, this whole waitlist game that is going now amongst all schools perplexes me in general.

bailey8078

Bronze

Post by bailey8078 » Fri May 24, 2013 7:33 am

Not that it was here in time to help with my decision making process, but I got my pizza box yesterday. Admitted 5/9, letter inside dated 5/15.

rosietheriveter

New

Post by rosietheriveter » Fri May 24, 2013 1:31 pm

Does NYU determine all awards based on a combination of award and merit?

If I get in and know I don't qualify for need-based, can I still see if they will give me any merit-based? Or does this not even qualify since wait list is already b-team?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HawkeyeGirl

Bronze

Post by HawkeyeGirl » Fri May 24, 2013 2:16 pm

You can see. I knew I wouldn't get any need-based and still applied. Got $0, but I'm below both medians so no surprise there!

HawkeyeGirl

Bronze

Post by HawkeyeGirl » Fri May 24, 2013 2:17 pm

bailey8078 wrote:Not that it was here in time to help with my decision making process, but I got my pizza box yesterday. Admitted 5/9, letter inside dated 5/15.
Same here. Pumped about the post it notes haha

bailey8078

Bronze

Post by bailey8078 » Fri May 24, 2013 2:37 pm

HawkeyeGirl wrote:
bailey8078 wrote:Not that it was here in time to help with my decision making process, but I got my pizza box yesterday. Admitted 5/9, letter inside dated 5/15.
Same here. Pumped about the post it notes haha
I was too. But my GF stole them.

senorhosh

Bronze

Post by senorhosh » Fri May 24, 2013 2:45 pm

Anyone know how long the financial aid appeal takes?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”