Deferring Fordham 1 Year Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Really??

New

Deferring Fordham 1 Year

Post by Really?? » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:04 pm

Hoping someone might have a little wisdom to share re: deferring for a year at Fordham.

In June, I was accepted off of the waitlist. I was/am ecstatic about that. However, I am going to need to defer for a year, for financial reasons. That said, in this interim year, I have an opportunity to work on an MA at my undergrad institution. Here are my questions:

1) Is there any reason why I can't attend the MA program while I wait for law school to begin next fall?
2) If I explain to the admissions committee that I need to defer for financial reasons, and disclose that I intend to work on an MA for a year, can they rescind the offer even if I've already deposited?
3) Do I even have to disclose that I'll be studying in the year between this fall and next fall?

Any advice is appreciated!

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Re: Deferring Fordham 1 Year

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:31 pm

...pretty late to think about deferral now...imo....... financial/personal/family reasons are good, but saying you'd rather study something else for a year will piss them off. Worse they can say is no.

Really??

New

Post by Really?? » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:31 pm

Thanks for the response! I appreciate your input.

I need to defer for financial reasons, not because I wish to work on the MA. And I was only accepted at the end of June and my financial situation has just changed in the last couple of days. I do feel bad about how late in the season this is, but, it was unavoidable. I'm not deferring for the MA program, the MA is just something I'm doing to cheer myself up while I wait to start law school next fall. Even if I didn't do the MA, I still wouldn't be able to attend law school this fall.

But, I understand the gist of what you're saying. I should not mention the MA at all, especially since it's inconsequential.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:39 pm

Really?? wrote:Thanks for the response! I appreciate your input.

I need to defer for financial reasons, not because I wish to work on the MA. And I was only accepted at the end of June and my financial situation has just changed in the last couple of days. I do feel bad about how late in the season this is, but, it was unavoidable. I'm not deferring for the MA program, the MA is just something I'm doing to cheer myself up while I wait to start law school next fall. Even if I didn't do the MA, I still wouldn't be able to attend law school this fall.

But, I understand the gist of what you're saying. I should not mention the MA at all, especially since it's inconsequential.
If something drastically changed and you cant afford it, just tell them that. If you happen to do some other classes while waiting for school to start, that shouldn't be a problem. You can always tell them about it later.

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:08 pm

Many schools won't let waitlist applicants to defer. Have to contacted the school? Also, you will obviously have to tell them what you'll be doing.

Really??

New

Post by Really?? » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:09 pm

Thanks for the advice all!

I've actually gotten some really good news this morning and will not have to defer. I'm happily looking forward to orientation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”