How to ask for a deferral? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
quidprobono

New

How to ask for a deferral?

Post by quidprobono » Fri May 18, 2012 11:20 am

I'd like to defer for a year. Beyond writing a letter to the admissions office explaining my request, does anyone have any advice?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: How to ask for a deferral?

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:21 am

Call the office and ask what they want. Some schools may require you to pay a seat deposit for this year first. (NU did.)

calverna

New

Post by calverna » Fri May 18, 2012 11:27 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Call the office and ask what they want. Some schools may require you to pay a seat deposit for this year first. (NU did.)
This.

Some schools want to see very specific information in a request (plans for what you will be doing, etc). Call and ask what their decision criteria are.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri May 18, 2012 11:30 am

Don't all law schools require a seat deposit in order to be eligible for a deferral ?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:33 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Don't all law schools require a seat deposit in order to be eligible for a deferral ?
No idea. By this point in the cycle, a person has likely already paid a deposit anyway, because otherwise they would have given up their spot in the class.

I had to pay a deposit even though I asked for my deferral 4 months before the seat deposit deadline, and I really don't understand why. If I hadn't been granted the deferral, I would have been out $750, because I wasn't going to matriculate last year. I can see requiring a deposit immediately upon approval of the request, but why before?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”