University of Minnesota $$$ VS University of Virginia 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

University of Minnesota $$$ VS University of Virginia 2013

U of MN 2012
45%
UVA 2013
55%

Total votes: 80

Gold

Re: University of Minnesota $$$ VS University of Virginia 2013

Post by 005618502 » Mon May 14, 2012 5:04 pm

Wow this is more in depth than I thought.

Here is my thoughts.....

Minn might be his "dream school" but if he loves you that can change. Does he have above a 170 LSAT or a 3.9 gpa? If so talk him into sitting out a year and doing ED to UVA next year. If he has the numbers and is not willing to do that because he wants to stick with his "dream school" (who has a dream school of UMinn?) then I would go and never look back.

You guys have been together for four significant years and if you dont think that you can spend the rest of your life with him then you should, again, head to UVA.

You need to talk to him, tell him your situation. See what he thinks. He will be more happy for you than mad about the thought of you leaving (if he loves you). You have been together for a long time, you guys couldnt handle a long distance relationship?

You also have to take into account your happiness, UVA is a MUCH better school. But people make sacrafices in life for their SOs, I know mine is next year by coming with me where I am heading to LS. You can only make this decision. I will say that its a bad decision if you pick UMinn over UVA without talking marriage with this dude, because it would be you making a HUGE sacrafice. But only you can make mistakes that you will really learn from.

Good Luck!!!

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Mon May 14, 2012 11:58 pm

Yes. If SO has a chance of getting into UVA ED next year, it's worth a shot.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Tue May 15, 2012 12:14 am

thelawyler wrote:Yes. If SO has a chance of getting into UVA ED next year, it's worth a shot.
I agree.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue May 15, 2012 12:19 am

What are you doing next year if you take the UVA offer? You could slowly let your relationship with your SO deteriorate organically instead of pulling the band-aid off now and then having a year in limbo.

In your position I would probably choose Minn btw but your mind for UVA seems to be made up and if that's what your gut says you should go for it.

whatismylife

Bronze

Post by whatismylife » Tue May 15, 2012 10:07 am

2014 wrote:What are you doing next year if you take the UVA offer? You could slowly let your relationship with your SO deteriorate organically instead of pulling the band-aid off now and then having a year in limbo.

In your position I would probably choose Minn btw but your mind for UVA seems to be made up and if that's what your gut says you should go for it.
I think I'd try to keep working at my current job and save money. Have been living at home rent-free for a year now which is great but another year of it would suck!

My mind is not made up at all but I think I'm leaning more towards MN as I can't imagine not being with my SO

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Tue May 15, 2012 10:42 am

and the crowd goes

"Awwwwwwwwwwww"

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Wed May 16, 2012 11:00 am

1. You love your SO.
2. You got in to Minnesota.
3. He got in to Minnesota.
4. You got in to UVA.
5. He did not get in to UVA.
6. You do not want to live in Minnesota.

Calculating.....

Calculating.....

Calculating.....

Answer: Sit out, go to UVA next year.

If I loved my girlfriend and she got in to UVA, I'd drive her there myself. GO to UVA!!! Doors will open for you early in your career that never will with Minnesota. (And Minnesota is likely where I'm headed, fwiw.)

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed May 16, 2012 11:44 am

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:1. You love your SO.
4. You got in to UVA.

Calculating.....

Calculating.....

Calculating.....

If I loved my girlfriend and she got in to UVA, I'd drive her there myself. GO to UVA!!! Doors will open for you early in your career that never will with Minnesota. (And Minnesota is likely where I'm headed, fwiw.)
This. Also you never answered if your bf has either above a 170 LSAT or above a 3.86 gpa...

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed May 16, 2012 12:03 pm

Debt, as well as distance, can destroy a relationship. But, if you matriculate at Minnesota, plan for a life in the Midwest.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawyerinwaiting

New

Post by lawyerinwaiting » Wed May 16, 2012 12:33 pm

whatismylife wrote:Ok. I am seriously going nuts here and any input from TLS would be appreciated.

Here's the situation:
I've been accepted at the U of MN where I'm in-state, have a fat scholarship, and my SO of 4 years (not married or engaged) has also been accepted. We have already signed a lease to an amazing apartment that is right across the street from the law school and everything is set for the fall (2012).

Last week, University of Virginia (where I've been waitlisted since December) threw a curve ball at me and said that if I agreed to defer a year, I'd have a guaranteed seat in 2013. This would require me to withdraw my seat @ MN and agree to not apply anywhere else next year.

With my numbers, it's amazing that they want me at all and it's always been my dream to go to a T14 and work in the East Coast. Unfortunately they're not guaranteeing any schollies and I'll probably have to pay sticker. Waiting another year would also suck because it'll be my fourth year out of undergrad and my current FT job is decent but I'm sick of it.

So, do I take MN this year where I have ties to the area, a lease signed with the SO, and practically no debt, or put another year of my life on hold for the chance of pursuing my dream of T14/East Coast/Big Law with shit loads of debt????

Note: I'm very in love with the SO and choosing UVA would crush him/potentially destroy the relationship.
just thought i'd chime in with the proverbial cliche for such a situation...follow your heart. Just follow your heart.

whatismylife

Bronze

Post by whatismylife » Wed May 16, 2012 1:01 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
4. You got in to UVA.

Calculating.....

Calculating.....

Calculating.....

This. Also you never answered if your bf has either above a 170 LSAT or above a 3.86 gpa...
Thanks to everyone for the advice. No he doesn't and retaking/reapplying isn't an option.

emptyflare

New

Post by emptyflare » Wed May 16, 2012 1:34 pm

Not sure if this has been mentioned (sorry if it has), but have you tried negotiating with Minn. to see if they will up the scholly or if they offer stipends (if you have a full scholly)?

Having a UVA acceptance is a nice negotiation tool with a strong regional like Minn....

whatismylife

Bronze

Post by whatismylife » Wed May 16, 2012 3:10 pm

emptyflare wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned (sorry if it has), but have you tried negotiating with Minn. to see if they will up the scholly or if they offer stipends (if you have a full scholly)?

Having a UVA acceptance is a nice negotiation tool with a strong regional like Minn....
Minnesota = notorious for not negotiating. I tried before I got the UVA acceptance and they basically told me to eff off lol.
You think it's worth trying again?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

emptyflare

New

Post by emptyflare » Wed May 16, 2012 3:48 pm

I do think it's worth it, as the UVA acceptance changes things (in your eyes and most likely in theirs as well).

Worst case, you're back where you started.

You have everything to gain and nothing to lose in re-negotiating with Minn. using an acceptance from a top ten school.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Wed May 16, 2012 4:24 pm

though of course it's worth a try, I'm pretty sure it's UMN's official policy not to negotiate.

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Wed May 16, 2012 5:58 pm

4. You got in to UVA.

Calculating.....

Calculating.....

Calculating.....

THAT is the truth right there! NO WAY I'd allow my SO to miss an opportunity like that. I simply wouldn't take no for an answer.
Minnesota is likely where I'm headed, fwiw
Same here... Happy about going to MN, but would never turn down UVA.

whatismylife

Bronze

Post by whatismylife » Thu May 17, 2012 11:45 am

Do you think the admissions people at both schools have seen my thread??? I'm scared that my identity is hella obvious if they have lol

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

masked kavana

Bronze

Post by masked kavana » Thu May 17, 2012 11:52 am

I think saying hella may give you away a bit more :)

zapcaz

Bronze

Post by zapcaz » Thu May 17, 2012 11:55 am

masked kavana wrote:I think saying hella may give you away a bit more :)
+1

whatismylife

Bronze

Post by whatismylife » Thu May 17, 2012 12:37 pm

Oh shit does no one say "hella" anymore? I was also recently informed that no one says "awesome" anymore either.

Someone needs to educate me on these things asap

FastLife

New

Post by FastLife » Thu May 17, 2012 9:50 pm

Given your career interests and goals, you would be a fool not to go to UVA. If you go to Minny, enjoy spending the next 5-7 years there. You will be trapped.

If your SO really does love you, then he would tell you to go to UVA as it is clearly what is best for your career prospects. If I were in his place, I wouldn't even let you consider staying with me and going to Minnesota, I'd make sure that you chose UVA.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FastLife

New

Post by FastLife » Thu May 17, 2012 9:51 pm

whatismylife wrote:
Oh shit does no one say "hella" anymore? I was also recently informed that no one says "awesome" anymore either.

Hella is regional to Northern California and the Pacific Northwest. I (and everyone else) am guessing that you're from one of these places.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu May 17, 2012 11:10 pm

FastLife wrote:
whatismylife wrote:

Hella is regional to Northern California and the Pacific Northwest. I (and everyone else) am guessing that you're from one of these places.
Or to No Doubt fans.

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Thu May 17, 2012 11:36 pm

relevant:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=184967
Plunking down sticker for a T6 is a tough pill to swallow. To me, it's worth it, but that's where I draw the line. UVA is a fantastic school, but it's not worth the cost. I also wouldn't go to MN if you don't want to work in MN. Find a third option.

sinisterkid

New

Post by sinisterkid » Thu May 17, 2012 11:51 pm

I highly encourage you to take UVA's offer.

If you do end up marrying this guy, chances are you will resent him down the road and continually second guess your decision and where your life would be if you went to UVA. If you two split up, you will hate life. Fact.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”