Advice for decision/parent's disappointment Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ignatius

New

Advice for decision/parent's disappointment

Post by Ignatius » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:07 am

edit
Last edited by Ignatius on Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Advice for decision/parent's disappointment

Post by romothesavior » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:10 am

Do you want to be a lawyer?

If yes, will you retake the LSAT to get into a better school?

If yes to both, tell your parents you still want to go, but want to make sure it is in your best financial/career interests to do so, and then go for it.

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:11 am

Ignatius wrote: (note: I suppose some of this interest may be benignly competitive within the family as a number of his cousins come from a pretty high legal pedigree(s)--HLS, UVA, Cravath (I know, it's not a school), etc.)
If the bolded is true, then attending a school like Nova won't get you what you want. Take a year off and retake. Don't settle for a shadow of your dream.

t14fanboy

Bronze

Post by t14fanboy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:13 am

Man up son and do what you want.

Ignatius

New

Post by Ignatius » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:22 am

edit
Last edited by Ignatius on Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

t14fanboy

Bronze

Post by t14fanboy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:01 am

You could always work for a couple of years and retake/reapply. I did (by no means management consulting, wall street, etc.) and don't view it as a waste of time even though it probably won't boost my legal resume. Good luck with whatever you choose. If you do decide to go, I would probably go with the full ride.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:14 am

Your TLS profile shows that you withdrew from Villanova, therefore your only remaining options are St. John's' full tuition scholarship, retake & reapply, pray for Virginia or don't go. Consider St. John's as a one year tester at very low cost if unable to get off the Virginia waitlist.

P.S. Why is your LSDAS GPA so much higher than your undergraduate GPA ?

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:48 am

You sound like you've already made your decision. I think you should just tell your Dad exactly what the situation is with legal employment and debt now. He needs to understand that this dream has passed almost everyone by, there are not enough jobs to even employ about half of new grads, much less get into biglaw. You are right, your schools are not going to get you to biglaw.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:42 am

OP: Look up the definition of "vicarious".

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:51 am

Ignatius wrote:A. Not sure, in part because that entails going to law school, which the Nova accepted students day really gave me second thoughts about. Fortunately, I tagged on with a chill kid from the train I came on, so it was bearable at least having someone normal to talk with. That said (and this is admittedly a snap judgment, though one I'm fairly confident in), I was in absolute shock with how miserable the majority of the kids were/are. There was a freakin' MOCK CLASS that a large number were legit gunning on (in addition to their parents, which just made it even worse). I had to keep myself from laughing/screaming. I mean, WHO DOES THAT? It's not like the adcoms are going to boost your scholarship; the Professor who you secured a whopping 4(!) bags of skittles from won't remember your name for a clerkship rec. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought you basically go to an ASD to look around, hang out, chat with some people, listen to some eloquently worded hot air/fluff from the school admins, and then secure as much free stuff and/or food as possible...or am I the one out of touch with all this? If so, I probably have no business in law school regardless.
No doubt that a good number of law students suck in some way or another, but I've found some really, really chill and fun people to hang with in law school. Overall I think my class is very solid, but there are always gonna be gunners, socially awkward people, and jerks. Just don't let them deter you. I've made some very good friends and drinking buddies, and I would say it has been an overall enjoyable experience. So don't let this ASW change your mind. If you want to go to law school, then retake and shoot for a better school/better deal. If you don't want to, then don't. But I wouldn't worry about not being able to find a good crew in law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”