Waitlisted at Chicago (2012) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: Waitlisted at Chicago (2012)

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:14 am

luxxe wrote:Got a job offer on a presidential campaign, will not be allowed to defer & will be withdrawing.

Thanks anyway, Chicago.
oh wow. That's really exciting, both for you and for those of us that still hope to have a shot at UChi!!!
Thanks dude. Good luck if and When You Decide to Go to Law School!

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:19 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
luxxe wrote:Got a job offer on a presidential campaign, will not be allowed to defer & will be withdrawing.

Thanks anyway, Chicago.
oh wow. That's really exciting, both for you and for those of us that still hope to have a shot at UChi!!!
Thanks dude. Good luck if and when you decide to go to law school!
Retaking and reapplying next year. No worries, we could still be at Chicago together lolll.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:21 am

luxxe wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

Thanks anyway, Chicago.
Thanks dude. Good luck if and when you decide to go to law school!
Retaking and reapplying next year. No worries, we could still be at Chicago together lolll.
Hahvahd??

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:45 pm

Man I hope you are next in Jam, would you still probably take an offer if they made one having committed to NYU now?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:54 pm

2014 wrote:Man I hope you are next in Jam, would you still probably take an offer if they made one having committed to NYU now?
I used to think so. But I'm not quite as sure now

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Feddy250

New

Post by Feddy250 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:21 pm

Anyone have an idea of why it seems as though Chicago hasn't filled all of the spots for the people that left in the Harvard wait-list admit wave? Are most of the recent admits not on TLS or LSN or what?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:44 am

They let in about 10 people from TLS alone the week or two before the Harvard wave which means probably ~20 overall if I were guessing. I imagine that those admits produced a sufficient yield to cover the losses to Harvard (and then they ended up offering a Ruby to a girl and successfully got her to take her withdraw back).

Still wouldn't give up hope though, with 6 weeks until most schools start and 10 until UChi does there might be some movement yet. In your case it just depends on what sort of splitter they need as the last wave favored high LSAT/ low GPAs

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:30 am

2014 wrote:They let in about 10 people from TLS alone the week or two before the Harvard wave which means probably ~20 overall if I were guessing. I imagine that those admits produced a sufficient yield to cover the losses to Harvard (and then they ended up offering a Ruby to a girl and successfully got her to take her withdraw back).

Still wouldn't give up hope though, with 6 weeks until most schools start and 10 until UChi does there might be some movement yet. In your case it just depends on what sort of splitter they need as the last wave favored high LSAT/ low GPAs
For some reason, I think Chicago dislikes my application. I feel like a lot of LSAT heavy splitters would have to withdraw for me to have a chance. For some reason, something doesn't click with them.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:20 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
2014 wrote:They let in about 10 people from TLS alone the week or two before the Harvard wave which means probably ~20 overall if I were guessing. I imagine that those admits produced a sufficient yield to cover the losses to Harvard (and then they ended up offering a Ruby to a girl and successfully got her to take her withdraw back).

For some reason, I think Chicago dislikes my application. I feel like a lot of LSAT heavy splitters would have to withdraw for me to have a chance. For some reason, something doesn't click with them.
Whatever they are doing, especially with your app just makes no sense at all. Like the obvious thought is that there is something very wrong with your app, but given that you have so many other options, that is clearly not the case. You showed them all the interest in the world and they let in people with blatantly worse numbers. Maybe it's a case of severe YP in that they think they will have to cough up more money to get you to come than "worse" candidates, but even then it seems dumb because one person who has done everything right from EDing to LOCIs is worth the potential trivial hit to their yield %

They also flat out rejected people with better numbers than people who have gotten in off the WL so Idk if anyone really knows what is going through there head up there :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Smumps

Bronze

Post by Smumps » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:32 pm

FWIW, in off the WL [officially] today. Way below one median, at the other. Confused/surprised/readytoparty.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:33 pm

Smumps wrote:FWIW, in off the WL [officially] today. Way below one median, at the other. Confused/surprised/readytoparty.
congrats!!

HotSauce

New

Post by HotSauce » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:47 pm

Smumps wrote:FWIW, in off the WL [officially] today. Way below one median, at the other. Confused/surprised/readytoparty.
Congrats, *crosses fingers for more movement*

DuBonVin7

New

Post by DuBonVin7 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:45 pm

Question: has anyone who got a feeler call not been subsequently accepted? I got one about a month ago and then heard nothing and have been panicking ever since.

Also, congrats to the new admit! Hoping for more movement soon...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:59 pm

DuBonVin7 wrote:Question: has anyone who got a feeler call not been subsequently accepted? I got one about a month ago and then heard nothing and have been panicking ever since.

You are the first one I've heard of. Was it from Dean Perry and did she say something to the effect of "I'm bringing a few apps to the committee very soon and I wanted to include yours"?

What are your numbers?

DuBonVin7

New

Post by DuBonVin7 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:30 pm

2014 wrote:
DuBonVin7 wrote:Question: has anyone who got a feeler call not been subsequently accepted? I got one about a month ago and then heard nothing and have been panicking ever since.

You are the first one I've heard of. Was it from Dean Perry and did she say something to the effect of "I'm bringing a few apps to the committee very soon and I wanted to include yours"?

What are your numbers?

It was from Dean Perry and that's exactly what she said. I'm afraid that I may have really ruined my chances: she called literally minutes after I received some very bad news I was in no state to talk coherently about anything, let alone law schools. I e-mailed her that night (and then again a few days later when I hadn't heard anything) explaining that I was dealing with a family emergency, apologizing for being so unfocused on the phone and that I would choose UChicago without reservation if an offer was extended to me. This all happened the day before one of the major waves of acceptances. So, I don't know if I should try to contact her again, send another LOCI, or what. But I'm really kicking myself over this whole thing- UChicago is one of my dream schools.

Otherwise, I am a reverse splitter and my undergrad school holds a good deal of influence in the mid-west. But I'm at a loss as to what else to do. Does anyone have any insight/advice?

justicefishy

Bronze

Post by justicefishy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:10 am

franklyscarlet wrote:
congrats!!
Grats!

Greenandgold

Bronze

Post by Greenandgold » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:36 am

DuBonVin7 wrote:
2014 wrote:

What are your numbers?

It was from Dean Perry and that's exactly what she said. I'm afraid that I may have really ruined my chances: she called literally minutes after I received some very bad news I was in no state to talk coherently about anything, let alone law schools. I e-mailed her that night (and then again a few days later when I hadn't heard anything) explaining that I was dealing with a family emergency, apologizing for being so unfocused on the phone and that I would choose UChicago without reservation if an offer was extended to me. This all happened the day before one of the major waves of acceptances. So, I don't know if I should try to contact her again, send another LOCI, or what. But I'm really kicking myself over this whole thing- UChicago is one of my dream schools.

Otherwise, I am a reverse splitter and my undergrad school holds a good deal of influence in the mid-west. But I'm at a loss as to what else to do. Does anyone have any insight/advice?

Since nobody's addressed this yet I'll give it a shot. The fact that they've now called more people on the waitlist since you've been interviewed doesn't bode well for you. You've clearly made attempts to contact dean Perry and explain the situation to her so at this point I'm not sure there's a whole lot left for you to do. If you're in at a school that you'd be happy attending, do that. If not you can always apply next cycle and try again. It looks like applications will be down again and Chicago was at least interested enough to interview you off of the waitlist this time around, so with less applicants this next cycle it seems like you'd have a decent shot.

For what it's worth, I'm extremely sorry that you were interviewed and then not accepted. I'm not sure that there are many things worse than getting your hopes up for something only to have it not come through. I hope that I'm completely wrong and dean Perry gives you a call tomorrow saying that you're in :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ajax

Bronze

Post by ajax » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:02 am

Chicago is STILL accepting applications despite the "deadline" earlier in the year:

http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot.com/

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:21 am

Yeah sorry DuBon, as much as I hope I'm wrong sounds like the ship has sailed.

It might not have been because of you though. The large majority of the WL acceptances have been of the High LSAT/Low GPA variety and it might be the case that she didn't need a reverse splitter to meet her goals.

I agree with Greenandgold though that you should be competitive next year if they were interested this year. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

HotSauce

New

Post by HotSauce » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:03 am

ajax wrote:Chicago is STILL accepting applications despite the "deadline" earlier in the year:

http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot.com/
Thats ridiculous that all those schools are still accepting applications. I really hope no one here, especially those of you who might have been waiting from an Early Decision application loses their waitlist admit to a July applicant. Sitting on your hands for 10 months or so of a cycle is horrible.

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:14 am

AM irritated by aforementioned news.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DuBonVin7

New

Post by DuBonVin7 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:33 pm

Greenandgold wrote:
Since nobody's addressed this yet I'll give it a shot. The fact that they've now called more people on the waitlist since you've been interviewed doesn't bode well for you. You've clearly made attempts to contact dean Perry and explain the situation to her so at this point I'm not sure there's a whole lot left for you to do. If you're in at a school that you'd be happy attending, do that. If not you can always apply next cycle and try again. It looks like applications will be down again and Chicago was at least interested enough to interview you off of the waitlist this time around, so with less applicants this next cycle it seems like you'd have a decent shot.

For what it's worth, I'm extremely sorry that you were interviewed and then not accepted. I'm not sure that there are many things worse than getting your hopes up for something only to have it not come through. I hope that I'm completely wrong and dean Perry gives you a call tomorrow saying that you're in :D
2014 wrote:Yeah sorry DuBon, as much as I hope I'm wrong sounds like the ship has sailed.

It might not have been because of you though. The large majority of the WL acceptances have been of the High LSAT/Low GPA variety and it might be the case that she didn't need a reverse splitter to meet her goals.

I agree with Greenandgold though that you should be competitive next year if they were interested this year. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Thank you for the sentiments and I think you're both right-I don't see much hope for getting in at this point. It's just an all-around unfortunate situation. But still keeping my fingers crossed that there will be some more good news in this thread soon! (Even if it isn't for me... :/)

DuBonVin7

New

Post by DuBonVin7 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:13 pm

So... scratch everything I said yesterday, I just got in! So excited to be at Chicago in a few months!

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear!

HotSauce

New

Post by HotSauce » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:26 pm

DuBonVin7 wrote:So... scratch everything I said yesterday, I just got in! So excited to be at Chicago in a few months!

Glad to hear it, congrats!

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:31 pm

DuBonVin7 wrote:So... scratch everything I said yesterday, I just got in! So excited to be at Chicago in a few months!

congrats!! Glad it worked out for you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”