Wait list Venting 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
confusedlaw

Silver

Re: Wait list Venting 2012

Post by confusedlaw » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:20 pm

boston college im above youre 75th and u waitlist me wow

zakohl

New

Post by zakohl » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:23 pm

Georgia wait-listed me after I withdrew.

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:13 pm

Sorry to hear about the waitlists fellas! Keep hope you'll end some where awesome.

On a side note has anyone contemplated retaking and waiting a year. I did the waiting after college and was ready to start but my best options will leave me insanely in debt and I know that a higher LSAT will help lower that at a decent school.....

Fuck man what the hell happened to the American educational system where only those with means can afford upward mobility or to maintain the status quo. The cost of a legal education is fucking ridiculous.

pret

Bronze

Post by pret » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:04 pm

I'm now waitlisted at FOUR schools I am actually interested in attending, and will probably be waitlisted at some more when things are all said and done.

1- Baltimore
2- Cardozo
3- Maryland
4- Catholic

The crazy part is that these schools vary a great deal in their selectivity. The worst part is that I don't know what these waitlists even mean considering I'm around/below the 25th percentile for most these schools. AGH.

I've at least finished my LOCI just now and am extremely happy with it. Fingers crossed...

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:32 pm

Not really venting because I'm pretty satisfied with my choices so far, but I got completely shut out by MVP this cycle (all waitlisted). something I did not anticipate at all. Really thought I'd get into Penn and Michigan before the cycle started lol, so it's definitely not automatic even if you have solid numbers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pret

Bronze

Post by pret » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:29 pm

Do you guys think the decreased number of applicants betters our chances on the waitlist?

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:50 pm

pret wrote:Do you guys think the decreased number of applicants betters our chances on the waitlist?
I think that a smaller applicant pool will lead to more usage of the waitlist. I doubt it will affect the T6 given its selectivity but it may send ripples down T1 and T2 schools and so on. From what I've seen at two schools I was waitlisted UCI and U of Wisconsin they seemed to waitlist a lot of applicants on lsn. I'd wager they'll be using their waitlists heavily. That being said as students the COA needs to be looked at signicantly given the current state of legal hiring. Also this may be pride talking but I kind of feel snubbed by a waitlist that it makes me feel like I wasn't good enough but now that no one else is there they will take me.

Does anyone feel that way about the waitlist?

pret

Bronze

Post by pret » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:23 am

tooswolle wrote:
pret wrote:Do you guys think the decreased number of applicants betters our chances on the waitlist?
I think that a smaller applicant pool will lead to more usage of the waitlist. I doubt it will affect the T6 given its selectivity but it may send ripples down T1 and T2 schools and so on. From what I've seen at two schools I was waitlisted UCI and U of Wisconsin they seemed to waitlist a lot of applicants on lsn. I'd wager they'll be using their waitlists heavily.
I certainly hope you're correct! Thus far, there doesn't seem to be any noticeable difference in admissions however.
That being said as students the COA needs to be looked at signicantly given the current state of legal hiring. Also this may be pride talking but I kind of feel snubbed by a waitlist that it makes me feel like I wasn't good enough but now that no one else is there they will take me.

Does anyone feel that way about the waitlist?
For me, it depends on the school. I get irritated and wonder if they even really read my application if I'm waitlisted at a borderline school. I feel honored for being waitlisted from schools LSP said I'd be denied from.

tropicanax

New

Post by tropicanax » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:22 am

USMCMatt wrote:Anybody willing to give an example of their stellar LOCIs?
+1

and just wondering, do most people put in a deposit to another school and make living arrangements knowing that if they were to get off the waitlist, they'd ditch the previous plans?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pret

Bronze

Post by pret » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:45 am

I have a question. How do you get a loan if you're on the waitlist and are admitted, say, a day before classes begin?

USMCMatt

Bronze

Post by USMCMatt » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:56 am

WL at UGA. Damn. I really want this one.

gravityrides0

Silver

Post by gravityrides0 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:25 pm

the language of every waitlist email --> "we're impressed with you and you're really awesome! No, really!!! But.. lol... not quite awesome enough, SUCKS TO SUCK."

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:54 pm

pret wrote:I have a question. How do you get a loan if you're on the waitlist and are admitted, say, a day before classes begin?
You should file your FAFSA asap to all schools you are interested in attending. Dont wait until you get accepted, FAFSA has it's own deadlines.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:07 pm

Did a google search for "Held at NU"

First result: Live sex toy demonstration held on Northwestern campus

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:00 am

confusedlaw wrote:boston college im above youre 75th and u waitlist me wow

send in a loci and u will probs be accepted w/i days. yp ridiculousness

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:04 am

tooswolle wrote:So I wanted to start this thread for people who have been wait listed. Which seems to be worst then a rejection since it places you in limbo and puts your plans on hold. I've been fortunate to only have a few wait lists this year but at some point it becomes frustrating and feels like your not worthy? In a weird way I feel disrespected...perhaps that's the ego speaking but a maybe just doesn't cut it sometimes.

Anyone else feel that way about the wait list.....like you're good perhaps alright just not good enough? Anyways people feel free and fire away and good luck on getting off those wait lists this year!
Except when you are pretty sure it's because you are too good for them (yield protection). In other cases, I'd be flattered to make it on the waitlist (e.g. Yale and Harvard).

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:09 am

Seriously, AU? You want waitlisted applicants to pay $900 within 24 hours if they're accepted off the wait list? REALLY? Rigoddamneddiculous.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:32 am

vpintz wrote:Seriously, AU? You want waitlisted applicants to pay $900 within 24 hours if they're accepted off the wait list? REALLY? Rigoddamneddiculous.
Totally agreed sometimes it baffles the mind how these schoils treat waitlisted students. Like giving us little to no aid, expecting decisions within hours or a short amount of time. Granted if its a T-14 or a higher ranked school I could see people doing this but not the lower ranked schools. If anything they use the waitlist an insurance policy and they take us for granted. It's be awesome if we took a stand against the waitlist and all withdrew what would the schools do then of their #1 choices head to greener pastures and the #2 choices aren't there anymore?

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:46 am

Ya, everyone withdraw from all your wait-lists. Stick it to em!

They treat us like we're desperate because we kinda are...

Chriz

Bronze

Post by Chriz » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:48 am

waitlisted at Wisconsin :(

PinkRevolver

New

Post by PinkRevolver » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:50 am

tropicanax wrote:
USMCMatt wrote:Anybody willing to give an example of their stellar LOCIs?
+1

and just wondering, do most people put in a deposit to another school and make living arrangements knowing that if they were to get off the waitlist, they'd ditch the previous plans?

That's exactly what I plan on doing if I haven't gotten off my wait list by 4/15....*sigh*

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ded Precedent

Silver

Post by Ded Precedent » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:53 am

Currently officially listed on 1 and de facto on 4 others.

Also Currently working on my plan of attack on tricking them into accepting me.

PinkRevolver

New

Post by PinkRevolver » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:53 am

vpintz wrote:Seriously, AU? You want waitlisted applicants to pay $900 within 24 hours if they're accepted off the wait list? REALLY? Rigoddamneddiculous.

If ur talking about American....yea I got in there. Probably gonna be paying that deposit and if I get off my waitlist, paying another deposit. Do you know if they'll give us any of the money back if we withdraw?

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:57 am

PinkRevolver wrote:

If ur talking about American....yea I got in there. Probably gonna be paying that deposit and if I get off my waitlist, paying another deposit. Do you know if they'll give us any of the money back if we withdraw?

Deposits tend to be non refundable. I believe the idea is that the idea of losing money would stop most rational people from playing the field. Whatever the case is, I think the waitlist is perverse. If only the ABA would step in and force a limit on the amount of students a school could waitlist a year to make it more significant then it is at the moment. Which most of the time is a soft rejection.

commoner

New

Post by commoner » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:38 am

I disagree that WL is a soft rejection. I got offered admittance to UVA after a long wait. You just gotta believe and hope they like you. In some ways I think the WL is a way to separate those who can get better financial aid and those who will enrich the law school's coffers.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”