New York Law School c/o 2015/16 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
suits00

Bronze

Re: New York Law School c/o 2015/16

Post by suits00 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:26 pm

Thank you for pointing that out. I also noticed that the Dean's words were taken out of context. Can you comment on any negatives/positives? Like I've mentioned, everyone seems to think it's a complete sh*thole and a joke. I need as much info. as possible.

suits00

Bronze

Post by suits00 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:05 pm

Withdrew--good luck everyone!

DTDT

New

Post by DTDT » Wed May 02, 2012 9:31 am

NYLS has it's place in the market. Yes it is a 3rd tier school and offers less job prospects than tier1 and tier2 schools. So the argument that the tuition is way to high for the potential payoff is very strong. However, from what I've learned nearly 80% of students receive some sort of scholarship to Brooklyn or Cardozo, I'm pretty certain that the full sticker at NYLS is rarely paid. I would be willing to bet the average student pays less 25% of sticker at NYLS. Those big discounts are where it starts to make sense, particularly if you are seeking a law degree and not depending on the schools pedigree to land you big law afterwards.

apslaw1031

New

Post by apslaw1031 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:31 am

DTDT wrote:NYLS has it's place in the market. Yes it is a 3rd tier school and offers less job prospects than tier1 and tier2 schools. So the argument that the tuition is way to high for the potential payoff is very strong. However, from what I've learned nearly 80% of students receive some sort of scholarship to Brooklyn or Cardozo, I'm pretty certain that the full sticker at NYLS is rarely paid. I would be willing to bet the average student pays less 25% of sticker at NYLS. Those big discounts are where it starts to make sense, particularly if you are seeking a law degree and not depending on the schools pedigree to land you big law afterwards.
^In bold: You provided a conclusion without an argument... How did you come to that conclusion? :roll:

Regardless--
While that may be true, paying the margin of extra tuition to go to Brooklyn or Cardozo is clearly a better investment.
Even going to Hofstra or St. John's for a little more is a good idea.
Honestly, I think you should only consider NYLS close to sticker if the only other schools you got into are Pace, Touro, CUNY, etc...
At that point it really depends on what you want to do and how much of a gamble you're willing to take.

What was the point of this post, anyway? Are you trying to convince yourself that you're not wasting money? Are you looking for external validation here? Because if you are, TLS is definitely not the place to feel good about attending NYLS.

DTDT

New

Post by DTDT » Wed May 02, 2012 11:42 am

No I was just thinking aloud and I was responding to the posts regarding the reputation of NYLS.

My conclusion is based on the prospects post-graduation considering the tuition, at sticker, is the same as Brooklyn, Cardozo and Fordham. I don't have the numbers but considering how many students settle for BLS and dozo with large scholarships, I would guess most NYLS students go on significant scholarship, thereby taking away much of the gamble in terms of post-graduation debt.

I spoke to BLS and 75+% of students get scholarship or need based aid. I'm curious what it is at NYLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Wed May 02, 2012 12:17 pm

DTDT wrote:No I was just thinking aloud and I was responding to the posts regarding the reputation of NYLS.

My conclusion is based on the prospects post-graduation considering the tuition, at sticker, is the same as Brooklyn, Cardozo and Fordham. I don't have the numbers but considering how many students settle for BLS and dozo with large scholarships, I would guess most NYLS students go on significant scholarship, thereby taking away much of the gamble in terms of post-graduation debt.

I spoke to BLS and 75+% of students get scholarship or need based aid. I'm curious what it is at NYLS.
35.7% of NYLS gets aid: https://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/ ... lData.aspx

Remember that Brooklyn has extremely harsh stipulations on its scholarships (27% of those who receive aid lose all of it after their 1st year, and you need to be in the top 1/3 to keep even half). NYLS probably has similar or perhaps even stricter stips.

apslaw1031

New

Post by apslaw1031 » Wed May 02, 2012 4:46 pm

ahnhub wrote:
DTDT wrote:No I was just thinking aloud and I was responding to the posts regarding the reputation of NYLS.

35.7% of NYLS gets aid: https://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/ ... lData.aspx

Remember that Brooklyn has extremely harsh stipulations on its scholarships (27% of those who receive aid lose all of it after their 1st year, and you need to be in the top 1/3 to keep even half). NYLS probably has similar or perhaps even stricter stips.
Actually, Brooklyn's scholarship stip is top 80% ... I wouldn't call that harsh at all.

DTDT

New

Post by DTDT » Wed May 02, 2012 5:04 pm

There might be different offers but the merit scholarship I was offered from BLS was top 80% the "Rice" scholarship from NYLS was 75%. I think most would agree if you aren't doing significantly better than that after 1L you should be moving on.

observationalist

Bronze

Post by observationalist » Wed May 02, 2012 5:08 pm

You can see the amount of debt a person in NYLS's class of '15 or '16 will face absent scholarships (in addition to the most comprehensive employment info currently available) by taking a look at the Data Clearinghouse we updated this week: --LinkRemoved--

Some of the key reasons why people might not want to attend this school at full price include:
- fewer than half of the Class of 2010 obtained full-time legal jobs (even including an undisclosed number of temporary jobs and somewhere between 1 and 6% in jobs which were funded by the law school and are of undisclosed duration.)
- just 6% of the class were known to be making $85K or more; just 9% of the class were known to be making $60K or more.
- the school reports no salary info for nearly 80% of the class, which means there is almost no way for a prospective law student to reconcile expected debt load approaching $250,000 with expected earnings after graduation.

If you've been accepted to and are considering attending NYLS, we strongly encourage you to request that the school provide you with more detailed employment statistics so that you can make an informed decision. You can ask specifically for the Class of 2010 NALP report, and starting in June you can ask for the Class of 2011 NALP report. Otherwise someone choosing to attend NYLS is assuming an unknown level of risk, likely without realizing until it's too late. One of the reasons there's so much alarmist rhetoric on TLS is because it can be very difficult to get applicants to willingly look at the data that's out there and seek to fully understand what they're getting themselves into. Some of it is surely over the top, but if it gets people to take a closer look at the job outlooks then it's doing everyone a favor. G'luck to those applying this cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Wed May 02, 2012 5:31 pm

apslaw1031 wrote: Actually, Brooklyn's scholarship stip is top 80% ... I wouldn't call that harsh at all.
Are you sure you only have to stay in the top 80% to keep the whole thing? As recently as 2010 they had a sliding scale (top 65% keeps 1/2, top 40% keeps all of it, etc.)

apslaw1031

New

Post by apslaw1031 » Wed May 02, 2012 5:48 pm

ahnhub wrote:
apslaw1031 wrote: Actually, Brooklyn's scholarship stip is top 80% ... I wouldn't call that harsh at all.
Are you sure you only have to stay in the top 80% to keep the whole thing? As recently as 2010 they had a sliding scale (top 65% keeps 1/2, top 40% keeps all of it, etc.)
Yes, I'm sure. Also, if you look through other threads posted by people deciding to where to go, you'll see they all have a top 80% requirement to keep scholarship money at Brooklyn.
Here're a few examples:

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 44&start=0
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 60&start=0
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=183418

...I think you get the point :)

You must have been thinking of a different school. I know St. John's works on a sliding scale, as does NYLS. I'm sure there're others in the area that do too.

DTDT

New

Post by DTDT » Thu May 03, 2012 11:10 am

The scholarship I was offered from NYLS did not have a sliding scale, 75% was the only stip.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Thu May 03, 2012 2:10 pm

apslaw1031 wrote:I know St. John's works on a sliding scale, as does NYLS. I'm sure there're others in the area that do too.
Yes it still does. Part of the reason I turned down the offer from St. John's was that I had top 80% offers from both Brooklyn and Cardozo, which both did the sliding scale very recently because current students are still talking about it. The "top 80%" stip is a pretty new thing at both schools.

Oh, and it would be pretty foolish to go to any of these schools at sticker. Especially NYLS.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”