In at Chicago: Class of 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
StrictlyBusiness

Bronze

Re: In at Chicago: Class of 2015

Post by StrictlyBusiness » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:44 pm

Nelson wrote: With a 173/4.0 I would be calling every day until they gave me a leftover Ruby.
I'm visiting this weekend so I'll see what I can weasel out of them.

Dino_Spumoni

New

Post by Dino_Spumoni » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:43 am

Gotta love Dean Schill!

Clip of him on the Daily Show in 2004 (at 2:45):
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-m ... rent-claws

Enjoy!

operagrl71

New

Post by operagrl71 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:13 pm

Did anyone else request a negotiated financial aid decision from Chicago in light of NYUs deadline, and if so has anyone heard anything yet??

jetissent

Bronze

Post by jetissent » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:49 pm

I just got 45k on my appeal. Much nicer than the 0 I was initially offered but short of my NYU offer so I'll be withdrawing. Good luck to those waiting. :)

AmoryB

Bronze

Post by AmoryB » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:57 pm

Upped to 75k from 60k! Definitely a really nice surprise because I wasn't expecting to receive a higher offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

operagrl71

New

Post by operagrl71 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:21 pm

Just got my offer as well, $60K up from $45K - overall very pleased, but not quite a deal maker...decisions decisions (sigh).

amc987

Silver

Post by amc987 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:59 pm

For those of you who appealed your financial aid, how did you manage to do so? Did you just send a letter to Dean Perry?

My Chicago offer is currently less than my NYU offer and I'd like to see if I can get Chicago to match. Also, do you think there's any chance they'll care about more $$$ from another top 10 that isn't CCN?

jetissent

Bronze

Post by jetissent » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:01 pm

amc987 wrote:For those of you who appealed your financial aid, how did you manage to do so? Did you just send a letter to Dean Perry?

My Chicago offer is currently less than my NYU offer and I'd like to see if I can get Chicago to match. Also, do you think there's any chance they'll care about more $$$ from another top 10 that isn't CCN?

I gave them 60k from NYU, 67.5k from Umich and 90K from duke and they gave me 45k FWTW. Good luck though! :)

Also, just email Dean Perry and she'll send you a link to a form you fill out.

mmkitkat

New

Post by mmkitkat » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:17 pm

cjcregg wrote:Has anyone found an alternate building in Hyde Park that they think is a better alternative to Regents?
I checked out the Del Prado last weekend, and I liked that a lot better than Regents personally (and if I'm not mistaken, it's a little bit cheaper/smaller if you don't need a ton of space).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cjcregg

New

Post by cjcregg » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:01 pm

mmkitkat wrote:
cjcregg wrote:Has anyone found an alternate building in Hyde Park that they think is a better alternative to Regents?
I checked out the Del Prado last weekend, and I liked that a lot better than Regents personally (and if I'm not mistaken, it's a little bit cheaper/smaller if you don't need a ton of space).
That looks pretty good. I made the mistake of not checking out other apts when I was at ASW. Regents only offers year-long leases. A few other buildings allow you to rent for the duration of the academic year. I'm leaning towards doing that to keep my summer options more open. For now it seems that the main benefit to Regents is proximity to other Chicago students b/c at some of these other buildings you can get a studio for the same price as splitting a two-bedroom at Regents.

StrictlyBusiness

Bronze

Post by StrictlyBusiness » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:18 pm

Just sent them an email essentially saying I loved the school but couldn't justify paying $90k more than Northwestern. Hopefully it doesn't come across too negatively as some sort of ultimatum, but that's essentially what it was.

If I somehow receive a huge amount from NYU/Columbia next week I'll try again but right now that's all I had to work with.

sharktankdean

Silver

Post by sharktankdean » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:07 pm

sorry if this has been asked a thousand times..but if i deposit at Chicago I don't have to withdraw from the schools I am waiting to hear from, right?

nametaken

Bronze

Post by nametaken » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:18 pm

sharktankdean wrote:sorry if this has been asked a thousand times..but if i deposit at Chicago I don't have to withdraw from the schools I am waiting to hear from, right?
Correct. I'd suggest reading the previous page

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sharktankdean

Silver

Post by sharktankdean » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:22 pm

nametaken wrote:
sharktankdean wrote:sorry if this has been asked a thousand times..but if i deposit at Chicago I don't have to withdraw from the schools I am waiting to hear from, right?
Correct. I'd suggest reading the previous page

thanks...lol i wish i did.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:30 pm

...but must we withdraw from places we have a decision from?

whenwin

New

Post by whenwin » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:36 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:...but must we withdraw from places we have a decision from?
Here's my take on that, based on:
LSAC wrote:After April 1, except under binding early decision plans, every accepted applicant should be free to accept a new offer from a law school even though a scholarship has been accepted, a deposit has been paid, or a committment has been made to another school.
and
UChicago Law wrote:The Law School has a policy that applicants should have, at any time, only one deposit or letter of intent to enroll at a law school unless there are extenuating circumstances that prevent the applicant from making a decision among outstanding offers of admission. When you reserve a seat in the Class of 2015, we request that you withdraw any deposits or commitments to attend any other law school and withdraw any outstanding applications for which you have not received a decision. You are not required to remove your name from waitlists at other law schools. Please do not check this option unless you are fully committed to attending the University of Chicago Law School at this time.
1) If we’ve received an offer of admission + a final scholarship offer from a school, we should withdraw from that school. (Since there will presumably be no “new” offer of any sort.)
2) If we’ve received an offer of admission, but no scholarship offer (or final scholarship offer, I suppose), from a school, we can wait to see what scholarship they offer us. (Since the scholarship would be a "new" offer.)
3) If we’ve received no offer of admission (or any other offer), we can wait to see what happens there. (Since any offer will obviously be “new.")

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:22 pm

whenwin wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:...but must we withdraw from places we have a decision from?
Here's my take on that, based on:
LSAC wrote:After April 1, except under binding early decision plans, every accepted applicant should be free to accept a new offer from a law school even though a scholarship has been accepted, a deposit has been paid, or a committment has been made to another school.
and
UChicago Law wrote:The Law School has a policy that applicants should have, at any time, only one deposit or letter of intent to enroll at a law school unless there are extenuating circumstances that prevent the applicant from making a decision among outstanding offers of admission. When you reserve a seat in the Class of 2015, we request that you withdraw any deposits or commitments to attend any other law school and withdraw any outstanding applications for which you have not received a decision. You are not required to remove your name from waitlists at other law schools. Please do not check this option unless you are fully committed to attending the University of Chicago Law School at this time.
1) If we’ve received an offer of admission + a final scholarship offer from a school, we should withdraw from that school. (Since there will presumably be no “new” offer of any sort.)
2) If we’ve received an offer of admission, but no scholarship offer (or final scholarship offer, I suppose), from a school, we can wait to see what scholarship they offer us. (Since the scholarship would be a "new" offer.)
3) If we’ve received no offer of admission (or any other offer), we can wait to see what happens there. (Since any offer will obviously be “new.")
Thank you. Neither of your quotes seems to indicate that one would need to withdraw from a school one has been admitted to, but has not put a deposit down on yet.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:28 pm

Not sure why this is so difficult. LSAC's policy means you can multideposit. Schools can't make you withdraw. They want you to though, obviously. And in May, LSAC sends a list of multidepositors to the different schools, at which point I'm sure they're going to call you and ask WTF you're doing.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:33 am

Has anyone tried to negotiate scholarships? How does one go about that with Chicago?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:03 am

Doorkeeper wrote:Has anyone tried to negotiate scholarships? How does one go about that with Chicago?
Email them and they'll link you to a webform where you can upload up to 3 other offer letters. They have a ton of cash because of the Rubenstein grant and they seem quite willing to increase offers.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:05 am

Nelson wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:Has anyone tried to negotiate scholarships? How does one go about that with Chicago?
Email them and they'll link you to a webform where you can upload up to 3 other offer letters. They have a ton of cash because of the Rubenstein grant and they seem quite willing to increase offers.
Thank you. Considering deposit day is 4 days away, is it possible to ask for a deposit extension or something to this effect?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:07 am

Doorkeeper wrote: Thank you. Considering deposit day is 4 days away, is it possible to ask for a deposit extension or something to this effect?
I don't think anyone has been able to get them to budge on their deposit deadline. Worth a shot but I wouldn't count on it.

jetissent

Bronze

Post by jetissent » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:12 am

Just withdrew. Good luck with scholly negotiations. :)

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:48 pm

NYU gives me $62.5/75k and Chicago comes back with $30k.

Lulz. Seriously?

cjcregg

New

Post by cjcregg » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:05 pm

Has anyone received their travel reimbursements for ASW/know when they are coming?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”