In at Chicago: Class of 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
brogoc

New

Re: In at Chicago: Class of 2015

Post by brogoc » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:46 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:
potl wrote:So... I just called the admissions office and asked about how quickly I'd have to withdraw other applications if I sent in my commitment form/seat deposit (I previously requested a deadline extension because I wanted to visit NYU/Columbia the week after the deadline, but was denied). The guy said "uh...immediately. When you're sending in your seat deposit you're committing to attend the University of Chicago so I'd say it would definitely be frowned upon if you didn't withdraw from everywhere else immediately."

I also specifically asked if that included schools from which I haven't heard back yet and he said "yes."

I... don't really know what to do at this point.
This is really really messed up. It's one thing to lie by implication in an official statement, but it's another to repeat it when pressed.
Agreed. This whole situation with the intent to enroll statement feels shady.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:01 pm

curiouscat wrote:
potl wrote:So... I just called the admissions office and asked about how quickly I'd have to withdraw other applications if I sent in my commitment form/seat deposit (I previously requested a deadline extension because I wanted to visit NYU/Columbia the week after the deadline, but was denied). The guy said "uh...immediately. When you're sending in your seat deposit you're committing to attend the University of Chicago so I'd say it would definitely be frowned upon if you didn't withdraw from everywhere else immediately."

I also specifically asked if that included schools from which I haven't heard back yet and he said "yes."

Huh...? It sounds like the person who picked up the phone was not very well informed, since soj reported getting an email from the dean of admissions that contradicted at least part of what he said.
Unfortunately, Dean Perry insisted on speaking to me on the phone or in person, so I don't have a written record of what she told me. This doesn't look good--maybe the person potl was calling was misinformed. I'm starting to think the reason Dean Perry didn't want to respond to me by email is to avoid leaving a paper trail. Technically, "requesting" that students withdraw and "frowning upon" students who don't might still be consistent with LSAC Good Practices, but the vast majority of admitted students would probably be scared into thinking they'd have to withdraw all outstanding applications when they commit to Chicago.

None of this would happen if everyone had a regular May 1 deadline, since by May 1 virtually everyone has received a decision everywhere, even if it's a WL (which you're explicitly allowed to keep). I guess Chicago wants to redistribute declined scholarships before other schools' deadlines, but I don't buy the common excuse that early deadlines are "in the interest of fairness to other accepted students." If fairness were the primary concern, Chicago wouldn't mind redistributing scholarships after May 1, even when there's no need to compete with other schools for students. Chicago has literally months to give students money they need and deserve--the only reason to insist on early deadlines, which deprive students of their ability to choose from as many schools as possible, is to compete with other schools. It's true that by May 1, Chicago will have already lost many of their most deserving candidates, but that's just how admissions works. They've been doing admissions for a while, so while there are fluctuations from year to year, they should be able to predict roughly what percentage of scholarships will be accepted, and therefore how much money should be offered. There's no reason not to give students best possible offers upfront.
Last edited by soj on Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:06 pm

soj wrote:None of this would happen if everyone had a regular May 1 deadline, since by May 1 virtually everyone has received a decision everywhere, even if it's a WL (which you're explicitly allowed to keep). I guess Chicago wants to redistribute declined scholarships before other schools' deadlines, but I don't buy the common excuse that early deadlines are "in the interest of fairness to other accepted students." If fairness were the primary concern, Chicago wouldn't mind redistributing scholarships after May 1, even when there's no need to compete with other schools for students. Chicago has literally months to give students money they need and deserve--the only reason to insist on early deadlines, which deprive students of their ability to choose from as many schools as possible, is to compete with other schools. It's true that by May 1, Chicago will have already lost many of their most deserving candidates, but that's just how admissions works. They've been doing admissions for a while, so while there are fluctuations from year to year, they should be able to predict roughly what percentage of scholarships will be accepted, and therefore how much money should be offered. There's no reason not to give students best possible offers upfront.
Yeah, cloaking the whole thing in BS about fairness is pretty shady. It's obvious that they're trying to use the big offers to get people to withdraw from HYS before they hear back.
Last edited by Nelson on Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

operagrl71

New

Post by operagrl71 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:10 pm

soj wrote:
curiouscat wrote:

Huh...? It sounds like the person who picked up the phone was not very well informed, since soj reported getting an email from the dean of admissions that contradicted at least part of what he said.
Unfortunately, Dean Perry insisted on speaking to me on the phone or in person, so I don't have a written record of what she told me. This doesn't look good--maybe the person potl was calling was misinformed. I'm starting to think the reason Dean Perry didn't want to respond to me by email is to avoid leaving a paper trail. Technically, "requesting" that students withdraw and "frowning upon" students who don't might still be consistent with LSAC Good Practices, but the vast majority of admitted students would probably be scared into thinking they'd have to withdraw all outstanding applications when they commit to Chicago.

None of this would happen if everyone had a regular May 1 deadline, since by May 1 virtually everyone has received a decision everywhere, even if it's a WL (which you're explicitly allowed to keep). I guess Chicago wants to redistribute declined scholarships before other schools' deadlines, but I don't buy the common excuse that early deadlines are "in the interest of fairness to other accepted students." If fairness were the primary concern, Chicago wouldn't mind redistributing scholarships after May 1, even when there's no need to compete with other schools for students. Chicago has literally months to give students money they need and deserve--the only reason to insist on early deadlines, which deprive students of their ability to choose from as many schools as possible, is to compete with other schools. It's true that by May 1, Chicago will have already lost many of their most deserving candidates, but that's just how admissions works. They've been doing admissions for a while, so while there are fluctuations from year to year, they should be able to predict roughly what percentage of scholarships will be accepted, and therefore how much money should be offered. There's no reason not to give students best possible offers upfront.
So bottom line is we don't have to withdraw pending apps??

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:18 pm

Unless ED, no one can force you to withdraw pending applications.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:19 pm

operagrl71 wrote: So bottom line is we don't have to withdraw pending apps??
Yes. They cannot legally require you to.

curiouscat

Bronze

Post by curiouscat » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:26 pm

Well. Sketchy. There's a chat about financial aid in a half hour - sounds like a good time to get some clarification on this issue.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:32 pm

curiouscat wrote:Well. Sketchy. There's a chat about financial aid in a half hour - sounds like a good time to get some clarification on this issue.
+1. I can't make it this time, but someone please ask whether we have to 1) withdraw applications from schools where we were accepted and that for some reason (e.g. haven't visited, haven't received financial aid) we can't yet rule out, and 2) withdraw pending applications; and what would happen if we didn't.

potl

Bronze

Post by potl » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:39 pm

Yeah, I hope someone asks it in the chat today so that it's documented (I may not be able to make it). Otherwise, my plan is to explicitly ask what we are required to do after committing/sending a seat deposit.

It's unfortunate. I had such a positive experience at the ASW (naturally), yet a fairly negative experience communicating with the administration on this issue.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dino_Spumoni

New

Post by Dino_Spumoni » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:20 pm

From today's chat:

DeanPerry: When you are committing to attend Chicago, we do want the decision to be as close to final as possible in the interest of fairness to your fellow applicants. Our online commitment form does request that you withdraw pending applications for this reason but it is not a requirement.

nametaken

Bronze

Post by nametaken » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:24 pm

From today's chat:

Guest216 (guest): If students accept a scholarship offer from Chicago and place an enrollment deposit, are they required to withdraw pending application at other schools? In addition, are they required to with draw from all schools to which they've been accepted and if they do not withdraw what are the consequences?

Apr 3 2012, 3:18 PM
DeanPerry: This question has been coming up a lot and I am happy to clarify. When putting down an enrollment deposit you are not required to withdraw pending applications at other schools. You are also not required to withdraw from waitlists. (TBC)

Apr 3 2012, 3:19 PM
DeanPerry: When you are committing to attend Chicago, we do want the decision to be as close to final as possible in the interest of fairness to your fellow applicants. Our online commitment form does request that you withdraw pending applications for this reason but it is not a requirement.

Apr 3 2012, 3:21 PM
DeanPerry: We do expect that you will withdraw from schools that you've been expected to, and we expect that you are narrowing down your options and making a decision. After deposit deadlines have passed, LSAC will provide deposit overlap reports informing law schools of students who are holding multiple deposits. We will contact students individually at that time.

Edit: Oops, scooped

potl

Bronze

Post by potl » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:02 am

Thanks guys

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:42 am

lulz "in fairness to the other applicants"

That really doesn't make much sense.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:08 am

lol at them finally telling the truth after Asha (implicitly) called them out and ATL picked up on it. Better than nothing I guess.

curiouscat

Bronze

Post by curiouscat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:44 am

Thanks everyone, it's good to have this clarified. So that means that they'd be looking at deposit overlaps in, what, June? End of May?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:52 am

curiouscat wrote:Thanks everyone, it's good to have this clarified. So that means that they'd be looking at deposit overlaps in, what, June? End of May?
I think they get the list on May 15? The date should be on LSAC.

cjcregg

New

Post by cjcregg » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:52 pm

Would anyone please sum up the advantages of Regents Park? I don't understand why it's so popular among Chicago Law students if there are cheaper apartments walking distance from the law school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:58 pm

cjcregg wrote:Would anyone please sum up the advantages of Regents Park? I don't understand why it's so popular among Chicago Law students if there are cheaper apartments walking distance from the law school.
-Easiest place to find a roommate for
-Can get living arrangements nailed down sooner
-Size of apartments
-Social scene
-Awesome building amenities (grocery store, restaurant, gym, Summit Club, etc.)
-On the 6 bus route

StrictlyBusiness

Bronze

Post by StrictlyBusiness » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:55 pm

curiouscat wrote:
yojuro wrote:Anyone know if there's any sort of ranking cut off for scholarship negotiation? The T10 schools I got into all offered me very similar $, but I do have a full scholarship from a lower ranked school (which I am considering taking over UChi). Could I use that to negotiate, or will they not care since it's not from a peer school?
I do recall reading somewhere that they would only consider offers from "peer schools," but it never hurts to try.
I'm curious how this applies specifically to Northwestern. Right now I'm at 150k from NU (although it's deferred) and 60k from Chicago. Should I go ahead and try an appeal or wait until I hear about money from Columbia and NYU?

I'd prefer U Chi over NU for obvious reasons, I just don't think I can pull the 90k trigger right now.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:04 pm

I would go ahead and contact Chicago. You want to give them time to consider your request before deposits are due, and I seriously doubt they'd scoff at $150k from NU (congrats on the offer by the way!). Also, I think Chi was a lot more generous to most people than NYU/CLS so there's no guarantee their offers will be better. If possible, in your email stress the reasons you'd prefer to be at UChi. They are more open to negotiation if they can tell you actually want to be at Chicago.

wishyfishy

New

Post by wishyfishy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:15 pm

Dany wrote:
cjcregg wrote:Would anyone please sum up the advantages of Regents Park? I don't understand why it's so popular among Chicago Law students if there are cheaper apartments walking distance from the law school.
-Easiest place to find a roommate for
-Can get living arrangements nailed down sooner
-Size of apartments
-Social scene
-Awesome building amenities (grocery store, restaurant, gym, Summit Club, etc.)
-On the 6 bus route
As someone who lives in Regents Park, I can add it's also safer since it's on 51st street and it has a doorman plus keyfob security. You can get a nice view of the lake/city, the 172 (which runs to the law school) stops right outside the building, and it's also reasonably easy to find free street parking before 7pm. I can give you more details if you'd like.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:34 pm

StrictlyBusiness wrote:
curiouscat wrote:
yojuro wrote:Anyone know if there's any sort of ranking cut off for scholarship negotiation? The T10 schools I got into all offered me very similar $, but I do have a full scholarship from a lower ranked school (which I am considering taking over UChi). Could I use that to negotiate, or will they not care since it's not from a peer school?
I do recall reading somewhere that they would only consider offers from "peer schools," but it never hurts to try.
I'm curious how this applies specifically to Northwestern. Right now I'm at 150k from NU (although it's deferred) and 60k from Chicago. Should I go ahead and try an appeal or wait until I hear about money from Columbia and NYU?

I'd prefer U Chi over NU for obvious reasons, I just don't think I can pull the 90k trigger right now.
With a 173/4.0 I would be calling every day until they gave me a leftover Ruby.

cjcregg

New

Post by cjcregg » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:35 pm

Has anyone found an alternate building in Hyde Park that they think is a better alternative to Regents?

potl

Bronze

Post by potl » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:38 pm

cjcregg wrote:Has anyone found an alternate building in Hyde Park that they think is a better alternative to Regents?
Algonquin seems straight.

lawhopeful2012

New

Post by lawhopeful2012 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:45 pm

is anyone attending the day in the life program next friday?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”