In at Chicago: Class of 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Doorkeeper

Gold

Re: In at Chicago: Class of 2015

Post by Doorkeeper » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:01 pm

cerealdan wrote:There's no problem if you're on a WL at S or H--Chicago says you can stay on waitlists. The problem is if you haven't received any decision yet, because Chi. asks that you withdraw applications at schools that have not yet given you a decision.
Right, I understand. My point was that there were people who deposited at Chicago but indicated that they were also WL at Harvard and Stanford when it looked like those WL notifications went out a few days later than the 15th.

pupshaw

Silver

Post by pupshaw » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:04 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
cerealdan wrote:There's no problem if you're on a WL at S or H--Chicago says you can stay on waitlists. The problem is if you haven't received any decision yet, because Chi. asks that you withdraw applications at schools that have not yet given you a decision.
Right, I understand. My point was that there were people who deposited at Chicago but indicated that they were also WL at Harvard and Stanford when it looked like those WL notifications went out a few days later than the 15th.
Ah, ok, sorry, I misunderstood.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:04 pm

Here's the language from the website:
The Law School has a policy that applicants should have, at any time, only one deposit or letter of intent to enroll at a law school unless there are extenuating circumstances that prevent the applicant from making a decision among outstanding offers of admission. When you reserve a seat in the Class of 2015, we request that you withdraw any deposits or commitments to attend any other law school and withdraw any outstanding applications for which you have not received a decision. You are not required to remove your name from waitlists at other law schools. Please do not check this option unless you are fully committed to attending the University of Chicago Law School at this time.
It seems pretty unfair to ask you to withdraw pending applications. It's like they don't want you to make an informed decision.

potl

Bronze

Post by potl » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:19 pm

soj wrote: It seems pretty unfair to ask you to withdraw pending applications. It's like they don't want you to make an informed decision.
I believe this is exactly why they do this.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:21 pm

potl wrote:
soj wrote: It seems pretty unfair to ask you to withdraw pending applications. It's like they don't want you to make an informed decision.
I guess that helps to explain why their yield is 24%...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:23 pm

I figured it would be a shame to have to make a decision without complete information, so I asked the admissions office if we're required to comply with this request.

chickenalfredo

New

Post by chickenalfredo » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:58 pm

soj wrote:I figured it would be a shame to have to make a decision without complete information, so I asked the admissions office if we're required to comply with this request.
keep us updated.

whenwin

New

Post by whenwin » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:43 am

Doorkeeper wrote:
potl wrote:
I guess that helps to explain why their yield is 24%...
Is that 24% number from last year? Because I think last year's deposit deadline was April 30. Is this April 15 thing a new experiment to raise their yield, or have they done this before? I personally think it is highly lame. But, I still may end up at Chicago. So maybe their plan will work?

whenwin

New

Post by whenwin » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:23 pm

This came up in the Yale thread, but I feel this is relevant here:
LSAC wrote:After April 1, except under binding early decision plans, every accepted applicant should be free to accept a new offer from a law school even though a scholarship has been accepted, a deposit has been paid, or a committment has been made to another school. To provide applicants with an uncoerced choice among various law schools, no excessive nonrefundable deposit should be required solely to maintain a place in the class. Beginning on May 15 of each year, law schools that participate in the Commitment Overlap Service will be provided with information concerning all enrollment commitments to any law school made by those applicants who have indicated an intention to enroll in that school’s entering class. A law school should clearly communicate its policies on multiple enrollment commitments upon admission.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nametaken

Bronze

Post by nametaken » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:34 pm

whenwin wrote:This came up in the Yale thread, but I feel this is relevant here:
LSAC wrote:After April 1, except under binding early decision plans, every accepted applicant should be free to accept a new offer from a law school even though a scholarship has been accepted, a deposit has been paid, or a committment has been made to another school. To provide applicants with an uncoerced choice among various law schools, no excessive nonrefundable deposit should be required solely to maintain a place in the class. Beginning on May 15 of each year, law schools that participate in the Commitment Overlap Service will be provided with information concerning all enrollment commitments to any law school made by those applicants who have indicated an intention to enroll in that school’s entering class. A law school should clearly communicate its policies on multiple enrollment commitments upon admission.
I don't really understand how this works. So say you commit to UChi and send in the deposit/accept scholarship/etc. then get in somewhere else. At that point, you can just send an email to Chi telling them nevermind?

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:35 pm

nametaken wrote:I don't really understand how this works. So say you commit to UChi and send in the deposit/accept scholarship/etc. then get in somewhere else. At that point, you can just send an email to Chi telling them nevermind?
Looks like it. Don't feel too bad--Chicago will put your seat deposit to good use.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:43 pm

See all y'all tomorrow!

I'm off!

nametaken

Bronze

Post by nametaken » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:44 pm

soj wrote:
nametaken wrote:I don't really understand how this works. So say you commit to UChi and send in the deposit/accept scholarship/etc. then get in somewhere else. At that point, you can just send an email to Chi telling them nevermind?
Looks like it. Don't feel too bad--Chicago will put your seat deposit to good use.
Haha, true. Thanks for the info :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whenwin

New

Post by whenwin » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:44 pm

nametaken wrote: I don't really understand how this works. So say you commit to UChi and send in the deposit/accept scholarship/etc. then get in somewhere else. At that point, you can just send an email to Chi telling them nevermind?
Say Harvard waitlists me so I send in my deposit to Chicago... but then after April 15 I get in off Harvard's WL. I'd be telling Chicago "never mind" then, too, right? So I don't see how this is different, at least from a logistics standpoint.

nametaken

Bronze

Post by nametaken » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:51 pm

whenwin wrote:
nametaken wrote: I don't really understand how this works. So say you commit to UChi and send in the deposit/accept scholarship/etc. then get in somewhere else. At that point, you can just send an email to Chi telling them nevermind?
Say Harvard waitlists me so I send in my deposit to Chicago... but then after April 15 I get in off Harvard's WL. I'd be telling Chicago "never mind" then, too, right? So I don't see how this is different, at least from a logistics standpoint.
Yes that definitely makes sense, I just feel like a jerk doing this when the UChicago admitted students site says: "When you reserve a seat in the Class of 2015, we request that you withdraw any deposits or commitments to attend any other law school and withdraw any outstanding applications for which you have not received a decision. You are not required to remove your name from waitlists at other law schools."

I guess from Asha's blog post though Uchicago is just "requesting" that we withdraw pending applications and we can't get punished for not complying. Seems kinda shady of them

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:59 pm

For you all who were worried about staying with a student host and inconveniencing them, don't worry about it. Everyone who signed up volunteered, and you all will be so busy it's really not going to be a hassle for them. Plus, Admissions gave out air mattresses.

Also, we had a LOT of bad bowlers last year and it was still a great time :) I hope you all have fun this weekend!

iThwl

New

Post by iThwl » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:00 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:
MichelFoucault wrote:
iThwl wrote:Olin fellowship in Law and Economics. :mrgreen:

ETA: this is in addition to the regular scholarship package.
Got one too.
Did you guys apply for these separately?
Nope. Just an econ undergrad.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:20 am

soj wrote:I figured it would be a shame to have to make a decision without complete information, so I asked the admissions office if we're required to comply with this request.
I've received a response straight from the dean of admissions.

We're not required to withdraw pending or waitlisted applications when we commit to Chicago (or anywhere else). For example, if Chicago is your top choice among your current options but you'd consider attending Yale if you got in, you can deposit at Chicago and, if you later get into Yale, decide then whether to stay at Chicago or go to Yale. If you decide to go to Yale, you'll lose the $500 deposit at Chicago.

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:27 am

soj wrote:

We're not required to withdraw pending or waitlisted applications when we commit to Chicago (or anywhere else). For example, if Chicago is your top choice among your current options but you'd consider attending Yale if you got in, you can deposit at Chicago and, if you later get into Yale, decide then whether to stay at Chicago or go to Yale. If you decide to go to Yale, you'll lose the $500 deposit at Chicago.
Thank you

ohhailawschool

New

Post by ohhailawschool » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:19 pm

What did everyone think of Admitted Student Weekend!?

seanPtheB

Bronze

Post by seanPtheB » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:25 pm

soj wrote:

We're not required to withdraw pending or waitlisted applications when we commit to Chicago (or anywhere else). For example, if Chicago is your top choice among your current options but you'd consider attending Yale if you got in, you can deposit at Chicago and, if you later get into Yale, decide then whether to stay at Chicago or go to Yale. If you decide to go to Yale, you'll lose the mad skrilla deposit at Chicago.
Wow, do they really think what's on their admitted students site conveys this?? Either way, thanks a lot Soj, you're the man.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:04 pm

I think most admitted students would read the request and be scared into thinking they might get into trouble if they don't obey. I see three ways students would be hurt by this thinking: 1) they might deposit at Chicago and prematurely withdraw from schools that haven't rendered a decision, depriving themselves of a chance to attend what might be their dream schools; 2) they might withdraw from Chicago (thinking they'd have to do so to have a chance of getting into their dream schools), a decision they end up regretting when they get rejected from their dream schools; 3) they might request expedited decisions from schools that haven't rendered a decision, hurting their chances of admission at schools that don't want to spend scholarship money trying to compete with Chicago. I can see how 1 and 3 would help Chicago's admissions office, but 2 just sucks for everyone.

I think Chicago should retract and clarify the statement, but that's probably not going to happen.

cgomez

New

Post by cgomez » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:50 pm

ohhailawschool wrote:What did everyone think of Admitted Student Weekend!?
I felt like it was rather conservative compared to the undergard I'm from. However, I feel like it has a lot of pros in other areas. I think the faculty were great and very friendly ( I like that their offices are located in the library). Chicago, of course, is a great city and I think that UChi would provide me with a great legal education. I don't feel like the students are miserable but it seems to be a bit dry in terms of the atmosphere. I have no idea which school I will choose but the weekend was very informational and I really enjoyed my time there.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:22 pm

ohhailawschool wrote:What did everyone think of Admitted Student Weekend!?
Faculty were all great. I basically met with and had extended conversations with every big name professor on the Law Faculty. It was really impressive how willing they were to just stop in their tracks and talk with me, or (literally) open their doors to talk with me. That was by far the most impressive thing about it.

Aside from that, I learned that transportation to/from Hyde Park is a fucking bitch. 60 dollar cab ride or 2 hour public transportation commute to O'Hare. Fuck that!

Outside of my one-on-one time with faculty, all of the other admitted student programs were basically useless. I didn't learn anything I couldn't have learned from a website. I'm a bit cynical, and I realized most of the admitted students around me knew a lot less about law school than I did, i.e. another admitted student asked me how one goes about clerking, but that was my impression from Thurs and Fri.

captainwasabi09

Bronze

Post by captainwasabi09 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:03 pm

withdrawn, my sweet brothers and sisters

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”