Do i have to disclose a jaywalking ticket to law schools? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ktsai4

New

Do i have to disclose a jaywalking ticket to law schools?

Post by ktsai4 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:37 am

I got cited for a jaywalking ticket last night. does this require disclosure to the BAR association or to any law schools? I understand that a DUI definitely requires it, but a jaywalking ticket? does anyone know the answer to this? thank you ahead of time.

cinephile

Gold

Re: Do i have to disclose a jaywalking ticket to law schools?

Post by cinephile » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:44 am

Read the directions for disclosure. Some schools require only misdemeanors, some exclude traffic citations, some want everything.

And when in doubt, you could call/email the schools you apply to and ask them.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:45 am

I would disclose, it can't hurt you. No school cares about jaywalking.

ktsai4

New

Post by ktsai4 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:53 am

johansantana21 wrote:I would disclose, it can't hurt you. No school cares about jaywalking.
with a lot of the decisions coming out soon, it just doesn't seem like a smart idea to disclose that i've done something wrong, no matter how stupid it is. even if it is me running towards a green walking sign and caught because i was not on the cross walk the entire way.

I've heard that its never a bad idea to disclose as a whole, but when its something this recent, it just doesn't seem like the brightest idea...i just hope that this is something i can fight in the courts because this is literally the dumbest ticket. especially when i am walking with the traffic light when the pedestrian light is on

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:03 am

Just tell them anything, any offense you can remember, no matter how "minor", unless a school directs you to omit any minor traffic infractions.

The rule is, "When in doubt, DISCLOSE". Any adcom will tell you that. Why risk your potential bar admission over something so small?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ktsai4

New

Post by ktsai4 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:18 am

PDaddy wrote:Just tell them anything, any offense you can remember, no matter how "minor", unless a school directs you to omit any minor traffic infractions.

The rule is, "When in doubt, DISCLOSE". Any adcom will tell you that. Why risk your potential bar admission over something so small?
would it be a good idea to just call the bar association/email (whatever it takes to contact them) and ask if its necessary?? because ultimately, it's them who decides who can practice and who cant.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:25 am

ktsai4 wrote:
PDaddy wrote:Just tell them anything, any offense you can remember, no matter how "minor", unless a school directs you to omit any minor traffic infractions.

would it be a good idea to just call the bar association/email (whatever it takes to contact them) and ask if its necessary?? because ultimately, it's them who decides who can practice and who cant.
Why are you talking about the bar association? And which bar association are you talking about? You're applying to law schools, correct? Ask the law schools themselves, some want disclosure of everything, but others don't - so just do what they want.

Also, this is just jaywalking. No one will care. Why put your future at risk by failing to disclose, especially for something so small?

nsbane

Bronze

Post by nsbane » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:52 am

ktsai4 wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:I would disclose, it can't hurt you. No school cares about jaywalking.
with a lot of the decisions coming out soon, it just doesn't seem like a smart idea to disclose that i've done something wrong, no matter how stupid it is. even if it is me running towards a green walking sign and caught because i was not on the cross walk the entire way.

I've heard that its never a bad idea to disclose as a whole, but when its something this recent, it just doesn't seem like the brightest idea...i just hope that this is something i can fight in the courts because this is literally the dumbest ticket. especially when i am walking with the traffic light when the pedestrian light is on
i was going to write a sarcastic e-mail, but rethought. I wasn't sure you'd pick up on the sarcasm. a law school has accepted at least one convicted murderer. jesus christ on a popsicle stick. no one cares about jaywalking. send an e-mail to every admissions office with your lsac #, date of incident and charge, and a 2 sentence explanation of the incident. ask if anything further is needed.

if you try to conceal this, i hope to holy hell that it is found out after you graduated law school and apply for the Bar, and your degree is revoked for trying to cover up something so stupid and insignificant.
ktsai4 wrote:

actually you should e-mail the supreme court about the jaywalking because they're really the one's who will make the final call. whoops there goes that sarcasm.

cogitoergosum

Silver

Post by cogitoergosum » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:55 am

nsbane wrote: actually you should e-mail the supreme court about the jaywalking because they're really the one's who will make the final call.
this.

I think the email address is supremecourt@us.gov. The noob always has email duty, so you'll hear back from Kagan. She's great, and fast with email, so you should hear back pretty quickly (I just emailed her about special testing conditions on the LSAT).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nsbane

Bronze

Post by nsbane » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:15 am

OP, You don't seem to understand the relationship between the bar and lawschools. I want to clarify why you need to disclose to law schools if their applications require it:

1) If their applications require disclosure of even the pettiest offense, i.e. jaywalking, and the school discovers that you hid it, it will be grounds for denying you your degree. It would be just your luck that it happens to you in May of your senior year, and you owe $200,000 for a law school degree you will never have.

2) When you graduate law school, you will apply to the Bar. They will look for anything that hints at moral turpitude (i.e. you don't do the right thing), which will be grounds for denying you admittance to the Bar. They will do a criminal background check, and you will have to disclose everything bad you have ever done. This is when your jaywalking will come up.

There is a good chance your law school application will also turn up. This is where your moral turpitude will show up. If you will not admit the smallest most insignificant crime that everyone has committed, even if not that many people have ever been caught, then they will say hey this guy is not trust worthy and has some moral issues. DENIED.

If you contact the Bar now, they cannot tell you anything. Every law school application is different. Those questions aren't on the application because the state Bars want them there. They're there because the school wants them there. All they can say is, they will not deny you admittance to the Bar for jaywalking, but they will deny your ass for trying to cover it up on a law school app.

3) You need to look at all the apps closely and send the info to the schools that require such a small offense be disclosed. Then you send a 2 sentence email. LSAC #. Date offense committed. Name of offense. 2 sentence description of events, which everyone on here will be happy to help you write up. This will not effect your application in the SLIGHTEST. No one cares about a jaywalking ticket.

ktsai4

New

Post by ktsai4 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:01 pm

Fair enough! disclosing is always the best way to approach something like this. =/ just hope this isn't going to affect any decisions...Thanks everyone!

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:05 pm

I wouldn't let a jaywalker into my law school if I was running it. The first part of learning law is respecting it. Jaywalking is an easy law to follow- just try following the partnership tax laws.

crumpledq

Bronze

Post by crumpledq » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:07 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:I think the email address is supremecourt@us.gov. The noob always has email duty, so you'll hear back from Kagan. She's great, and fast with email, so you should hear back pretty quickly (I just emailed her about special testing conditions on the LSAT).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ktsai4

New

Post by ktsai4 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:22 pm

ben4847 wrote:I wouldn't let a jaywalker into my law school if I was running it. The first part of learning law is respecting it. Jaywalking is an easy law to follow- just try following the partnership tax laws.
Right and I'm sure you've never done anything against the law, i.e. parking tickets/littering/underage drinking. btw I'm already t-14 bound so I wouldn't want to go to a law school run by you in the first place.

Observant_Poster

New

Post by Observant_Poster » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:12 pm

ktsai4 wrote:
ben4847 wrote:I wouldn't let a jaywalker into my law school if I was running it. The first part of learning law is respecting it. Jaywalking is an easy law to follow- just try following the partnership tax laws.
Right and I'm sure you've never done anything against the law, i.e. parking tickets/littering/underage drinking. btw I'm already t-14 bound so I wouldn't want to go to a law school run by you in the first place.
T-14 and cannot detect sarcasm /facepalm
or
T-14 responding to such an idiotic post while gloating he is T-14 bound... /facepalm

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:15 pm

This whole thread is ridiculous on both sides, but there seriously is no reason this should hurt you. It's absurd to even worry about, and this is coming from a hardcore worrier. Enjoy your time in the T14...

bigtexmex

Bronze

Post by bigtexmex » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:25 pm

Jaywalking? Wow...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:29 pm

ktsai4 wrote:I got cited for a jaywalking ticket last night. does this require disclosure to the BAR association or to any law schools? I understand that a DUI definitely requires it, but a jaywalking ticket? does anyone know the answer to this? thank you ahead of time.
don't be a law student.

ktsai4

New

Post by ktsai4 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:31 pm

Observant_Poster wrote:
ktsai4 wrote:
T-14 and cannot detect sarcasm /facepalm
or
T-14 responding to such an idiotic post while gloating he is T-14 bound... /facepalm
If he left it as "I wouldn't let a jaywalker into my law school if i was running it," then that could be interpreted as sarcasm. his justification makes it not sarcasm. learn2read.

Anyway, this is getting out of hands.
1. Thank you for those of you who were helpful! especially the explanation with consequences of non-disclosure.
2. jaywalking...yes it is stupid.../facepalm and worse decision ever...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”