St. John's Law 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
iceicebaby

Bronze

Re: St. John's Law 2015

Post by iceicebaby » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:04 pm

NYCLSATTutor wrote:
paradox wrote:
fatpeopleavenger wrote:
CUNY has better clinics (than St.John's) and better at guiding a student to a more specific career. .
Please provide a cite to substantiate your above statement which you offer as fact.

I respectfully disagree with your above statement that CUNY has better clinics than St.John's or that it provides better guidance for a career in public service. Take a moment to review the substantial governmental leaders that are St. John's grads ( see: former CIA Director Ron Brown, Governors Cosmo, Carey, police Commish Ray Kelly, and many, many more including hundreds of elected state & local officials, sitting Judges, commissioners at all levels of government, and others).

Most attend law school to become a practicing attorney. A CUNY grad will be at a substantial disadvantage if they do not pass the Bar exam. Hopefully CuNY addresses it's issues with regard to bar pass rate.

Thanks.
Unless you can point to a change in CUNY's teaching methods between 2 years ago and now, its a bit difficult to pin the falling bar pass rate on their teaching methods.

Ron Brown went to law school in 1970. 13 years before CUNY opened. I'm assuming by "Governor Cosmo" you are referring to Governor Andrew Cuomo. He went to law school in 1956, 27 years before CUNY opened. Carey received his degree in 1951, 32 years before CUNY opened. Ray Kelly graduated St. Johns in 1971, 12 years before CUNY opened.

Can you explain how CUNY is deficient because if failed to attract and promote these notable individuals 10+ years before the law school was admitting students?

You are also using inappropriate criteria. CUNY is unlikely to have as many elected officials as St. Johns. Why? Because they aren't trying to attract those types of people. They want people who have a public service mission to work to help the indigent, they aren't interested in politicians.

You disagree that CUNY has better clinics than St Johns?

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... g-rankings

CUNY is ranked 3rd. In the nation. Above both Yale and Stanford. St Johns is unranked.

As for public interest:

http://www.nationaljurist.com/content/b ... aw-schools

A ranking for public interest schools. CUNY is 10th. St Johns is, again, unranked.

As I've said in another thread, I'm not sure what your problem with CUNY is, but it seems to be personal. Care to explain why you are trashing them throughout the board?
Let's have this discussion elsewhere, shall we? This is just for admits, denials, waitlists, etc.

(For the record, I think that CUNY is a fine school for the money. They teach you how to practice and handle clients well, which is something that often gets lost on many other law schools. However, in lacking that academic edge that other schools enjoy, they tend to fall short on emphasizing legal topics that would often be on a bar exam, but never really encountered in real life. This is from what I've gathered from a CUNY grad, who has done very well for himself and works for the ACLU. He loves his job, but he admits it's not for everyone, especially of the deeply-indebted variety. I feel like if you're seeking a more well-rounded legal education, St. John's might be better as long as you can see yourself spending a lot more on law school. Either way, you better work as hard as you can to be Top 5 to 10% at either of these schools.)

Kess

Bronze

Post by Kess » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:41 pm

I've been accepted back in December. St. J is a decent school with a nice looking campus, but the commute by MTA would not be a cool one to here.

Jimbola

Bronze

Post by Jimbola » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:29 pm

Kess wrote:I've been accepted back in December. St. J is a decent school with a nice looking campus, but the commute by MTA would not be a cool one to here.
Yeah a car is pretty necessary to commute to St. John's. The train station is a very very long walk.

apslaw1031

New

Post by apslaw1031 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:47 pm

To those of you who've already received decisions:
Did your status checkers change much before they were updated with the decision itself?

I'm curious because mine's said "Your application is complete." since 12/6 and hasn't changed at all since then.
I feel like it's a little strange since it's been just about 8 weeks since then.

RUL3ofLAW

New

Post by RUL3ofLAW » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:49 pm

Jimbola wrote:
Kess wrote:I've been accepted back in December. St. J is a decent school with a nice looking campus, but the commute by MTA would not be a cool one to here.
Yeah a car is pretty necessary to commute to St. John's. The train station is a very very long walk.
Do they have free parking at St. John's? Or is it a pay to use a parking garage type situation??

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jimbola

Bronze

Post by Jimbola » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:17 am

RUL3ofLAW wrote:
Jimbola wrote:
Do they have free parking at St. John's? Or is it a pay to use a parking garage type situation??

This was a lot harder to find than I thought. Still reading it. I don't see any mention of a price for a parking permit.

--LinkRemoved--

RW65

Bronze

Post by RW65 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:40 pm

$100/year for on campus parking.

I'm a 3L - Happy to answer any questions.

ix88

New

Post by ix88 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:56 pm

Accepted via email today :D

arabon66

New

Post by arabon66 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:14 pm

Accepted today via email. Full tuition scholly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ix88

New

Post by ix88 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:30 pm

arabon66 wrote:Accepted today via email. Full tuition scholly.
was the scholly offer in the email or sent separately?

angelan

New

Post by angelan » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:40 pm

apslaw1031 wrote:To those of you who've already received decisions:
Did your status checkers change much before they were updated with the decision itself?

I'm curious because mine's said "Your application is complete." since 12/6 and hasn't changed at all since then.
I feel like it's a little strange since it's been just about 8 weeks since then.
Status checker changes. At least mine did. I went from "complete" (went complete sometime in November) to "your application is under review." I was under review for about 2 weeks before being admitted today.

For those also accepted today - when did you get the e-mail? I found out I was in via status checker but still haven't gotten an e-mail.

angelan

New

Post by angelan » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:43 pm

ix88 wrote:
arabon66 wrote:Accepted today via email. Full tuition scholly.
was the scholly offer in the email or sent separately?

I don't know about the e-mail as I still haven't received mine, but my status checker mentioned the scholarship...

"Congratulations! It is my pleasure to inform you that the Committee on Admissions has approved your application for admission to the Fall at St. John’s University School of Law. I hope that you will decide to join us by enrolling next Fall. Given the competitive applicant pool, our decision reflects our confidence in your abilities and accomplishments. Your entry into law school will be the first step toward a rewarding career in law.

In addition, in recognition of your outstanding academic achievement, the Committee on Scholarships has awarded you an annual Tuition Scholarship."

Thought that might help!

arabon66

New

Post by arabon66 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:45 pm

I got my scholarship info via email:

"In addition, in recognition of your outstanding academic achievement, the Committee on Scholarships has awarded you a St. Thomas More Scholarship covering the full cost of tuition. Your scholarship will be applied to your tuition each fall and spring semester. Your scholarship is renewable for each subsequent year of matriculation, provided that you maintain a required cumulative academic rank. If your class rank, after each academic year, places you in the upper 40% of your class, you will retain 100% of your scholarship. If your class rank places you in the upper 55% of your class, you will retain 75% of your scholarship. If your class rank places you in the upper 65% of your class, you will retain 55% of your scholarship. St. Thomas More scholarship recipients retain their scholarships in extraordinarily high numbers; approximately 96% of those awarded the scholarship retain at least some portion of their scholarship after their first year of law school."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ix88

New

Post by ix88 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:24 pm

Thanks, I think that means I was offered sticker price. :?

jozzy22

New

Post by jozzy22 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:12 am

Also St. Thomas More scholarship today via email

Socreights

New

Post by Socreights » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:39 am

Didn't really know anything about the school when I applied...sent out an app because of its location. After being awarded a St. Thomas Moore scholly back in December, however, I've been seriously considering St. John's...What are people's thoughts in general, especially those of you weighing full rides?...what other schools are you considering? PM me if you're going through similar deliberations...

Jimbola

Bronze

Post by Jimbola » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:58 pm

Socreights wrote:Didn't really know anything about the school when I applied...sent out an app because of its location. After being awarded a St. Thomas Moore scholly back in December, however, I've been seriously considering St. John's...What are people's thoughts in general, especially those of you weighing full rides?...what other schools are you considering? PM me if you're going through similar deliberations...
Going to law school for free would be pretty baller. It all depends what other schools you would be giving up for St. John's. They would have to be much much more baller to pass up on free law school. Baller is a funny word that I need to use more often.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

swagu

New

Post by swagu » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:37 pm

Another week goes by with "11/21/11 your application is complete". Next week will be week 14. It's almost funny at this point. :roll:

apslaw1031

New

Post by apslaw1031 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:19 pm

swagu wrote:Another week goes by with "11/21/11 your application is complete". Next week will be week 14. It's almost funny at this point. :roll:
I know how you feel... Mine's been "complete" since the beginning of December... I think I'm up to week 12.
It doesn't help that it clearly states that it could take 8-12 weeks to review applications at the top of the status checker.

swagu

New

Post by swagu » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:50 pm

apslaw1031 wrote:
swagu wrote:Another week goes by with "11/21/11 your application is complete". Next week will be week 14. It's almost funny at this point. :roll:
I know how you feel... Mine's been "complete" since the beginning of December... I think I'm up to week 12.
It doesn't help that it clearly states that it could take 8-12 weeks to review applications at the top of the status checker.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one. We've still got a few more hours in the day though so there's a chance!

swagu

New

Post by swagu » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:42 pm

Waitlist via status tracker... just went up within the past few minutes.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lmrt

New

Post by lmrt » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:33 pm

iceicebaby wrote: Ron Brown went to law school in 1970. 13 years before CUNY opened. I'm assuming by "Governor Cosmo" you are referring to Governor Andrew Cuomo. He went to law school in 1956, 27 years before CUNY opened. Carey received his degree in 1951, 32 years before CUNY opened. Ray Kelly graduated St. Johns in 1971, 12 years before CUNY opened.
I don't have an opinion about whether CUNY is better than St. John's, but I think I should point out that Andrew Cuomo did not attend law school in 1956...he was born in 1957. You're thinking of his father, former governor Mario Cuomo.

wontpanic

New

Post by wontpanic » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:41 pm

complete since 11/7 and still no word.... I don't think they're really following the 8-12 week mark.

kimmykimkimster

New

Post by kimmykimkimster » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:17 am

Ive been on "complete" since 12/12/2011.......i just want to know already!

apslaw1031

New

Post by apslaw1031 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:22 am

swagu wrote:
apslaw1031 wrote:
Glad to hear I'm not the only one. We've still got a few more hours in the day though so there's a chance!
swagu wrote:Waitlist via status tracker... just went up within the past few minutes.

Did it change to waitlisted straight from complete? (Or did say "in review" first?)
If it did go straight to saying you're on the waitlist, that makes me kind of nervous.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”