Need advice on applying? HELP!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jov5021

New

Need advice on applying? HELP!!!

Post by jov5021 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:29 pm

Hi,

I know I'm really behind on everything but I really need some advice about applying to law schools. I took the LSATs this past October and got a 145 on it....terrible I know :(. I am not taking the December test but I want to apply for the 2012-2013 school year. The next chance I have on retaking the test is in February and where I hopefully will raise my score.
My GPA is a 3.85.

Do I apply with my existing score now or do I wait until February? I know late February is very late in the application process but I'm afraid my score right now is not good enough to get into a good school.

Is it possible to apply and send my score now and inform the schools I am planning on taking it in February?

Any advice would REALLY help! I am new to all this and haven't really gotten any true advice so far.

sasuke

New

Re: Need advice on applying? HELP!!!

Post by sasuke » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:32 pm

You can submit your applications now and request that your application be held pending the results of your February exam. Are you sure you have enough time to prepare for the retake? What schools are you trying to get into?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:32 pm

February is incredibly late in the cycle. More or less not worth applying after you get that score back. Classes are almost full. You'll get waitlisted at school that would have accepted you and rejected at schools that might have at least waitlisted you.

Absolutely no school worth attending will accept a 145.

Your ONLY intelligent option is to retake (in June, Feb or Oct), wait a cycle and apply for 2013. Sorry.

unitedfrutopia

New

Post by unitedfrutopia » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:34 pm

I would wait and apply during the next cycle. In the mean time buy every practice test you can find and go through all of them. Consider taking a course.

Champion

Bronze

Post by Champion » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:47 pm

You should definitely look to retake! Don't be afraid to take a year off so that you won't waste that GPA!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:50 pm

Champion wrote:You should definitely look to retake! Don't be afraid to take a year off so that you won't waste that GPA!
No kidding. If I had a 3.85 I'd be going to Stanford (well, maybe).

jov5021

New

Post by jov5021 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:53 pm

When applying I am thinking about location. I would really love getting into a school in D.C. or around the area. Some of them are Georgetown, George Washington, American, or even George Mason.

I know my score is REALLY low for any of these schools.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:00 am

jov5021 wrote:When applying I am thinking about location. I would really love getting into a school in D.C. or around the area. Some of them are Georgetown, George Washington, American, or even George Mason.

The problem with that is that DC is basically THE most sought-after market. I think Georgetown does relatively ok, but everyone else in DC is getting beat for jobs by grads from the very top schools.

If you can't get into a top school, your best bet is to attend a regional school that dominates a smaller market.

No matter what, you need to get that LSAT up. WAY up.

Danny Mothers

Bronze

Post by Danny Mothers » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:02 am

Try again next cycle

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sasuke

New

Post by sasuke » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:02 am

If you want a shot at Georgetown (or any other T14), you need to apply next cycle and make studying for the LSAT your second job. I started out with a shitty score but after a few months of diligent self-study I scored a 168. Anecdotal evidence, I know but you need to give yourself time to reach your highest potential.

law chihuahua

New

Post by law chihuahua » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:05 am

jov5021 wrote:When applying I am thinking about location. I would really love getting into a school in D.C. or around the area. Some of them are Georgetown, George Washington, American, or even George Mason.

Sorry to say this, but if that's the case you really do need to retake. Those schools require scores roughly twenty plus points higher than 145. Taking a year off won't be so bad once you get started. You would not be doing justice to your GPA or even yourself if you apply with a score in the 140s at this point. You can do better, and good luck OP.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:37 am

I was in your shoes this time last year.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=149790

Read this, it might apply to you. I was apprehensive about taking a year off, but it is really a great decision that you should embrace. Work, build your resume, study, retake, chill, reapply (in whatever order) But you should start studying lightly now and then really gear up around early February for June. Please, please do not waste your awesome GPA on a shit LSAT. You have the GPA for HYS, don't waste it. Just get on the lsat prep forum and find some tips, there are good ones in my blog, and study for June. I would like to see you on this site a year from now talking about how psyched you are to go to Harvard or something...don't take the easy way out.

revival2005

New

Post by revival2005 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:18 am

Last edited by revival2005 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Danny Mothers

Bronze

Post by Danny Mothers » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:21 am

revival2005 wrote:Why don’t you apply now and update the schools with your new score in February? The worst that can happen is they will say “no.” But you won’t ever know if you don’t try. Even UT accepted SOMEBODY with your stats last cycle (http://www.lsac.org/LSACResources/Publi ... ac6882.pdf) There is hope! (http://lawschoolnumbers.com/LSATaddendum)
I imagine he will get rejected by any school worth attending before he even takes the test in February

jov5021

New

Post by jov5021 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:38 am

Danny Mothers wrote:
revival2005 wrote:Why don’t you apply now and update the schools with your new score in February? The worst that can happen is they will say “no.” But you won’t ever know if you don’t try. Even UT accepted SOMEBODY with your stats last cycle (http://www.lsac.org/LSACResources/Publi ... ac6882.pdf) There is hope! (http://lawschoolnumbers.com/LSATaddendum)
I imagine he will get rejected by any school worth attending before he even takes the test in February

I understand February is late in the application process but would the schools not wait for my February score before making a decision?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:07 pm

jov5021 wrote:
Danny Mothers wrote:

I understand February is late in the application process but would the schools not wait for my February score before making a decision?
Either they do wait and you're incredibly late for the very few spots left open in next year's class, competing with everyone already on the waitlist (most of whom don't have a 145-lb boat anchor dragging their app to the bottom of the pile), or they don't wait and you're immediately rejected because of that atrocious 145. Your odds are slim and none.

If you can't see the logic in waiting until next cycle, I fear for your odds of improving that LSAT score.
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:09 pm

You need to wait a year. With you're gpa, a score in the 160s could put you in a different world than you are in now

Edit: non-URMs with scores below 155 have no business applying to law school

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Danny Mothers

Bronze

Post by Danny Mothers » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:18 pm

jov5021 wrote: I understand February is late in the application process but would the schools not wait for my February score before making a decision?
Seriously, just retake in June and apply next cycle. Start studying right now. Don't waste your good GPA. If you aren't willing to do this, then you should reconsider law school.

jov5021

New

Post by jov5021 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:12 am

I've been thinking about this for a couple of days and I am seriously considering on waiting until the next cycle!

Does anyone have any specific advice on how to study for the June lsats? A link would work just fine! Obviously I need help in this department.... I bought the bibles already. I am more interested in the scheduling aspect of the question.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:08 am

this is what i did, the 4th post on this page is a synopsis

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=125

also, this is what i followed when I first started
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=140092

sasuke

New

Post by sasuke » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:52 am

jov5021 wrote:I've been thinking about this for a couple of days and I am seriously considering on waiting until the next cycle!
Wise decision, good luck.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”