Villanova 2015 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cphal

New

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Post by cphal » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:57 pm

SCOTUS40 wrote:
btowncane wrote:As it has been discussed before, and from what I've discovered personally, Villanova was out of scholarship funds prior to the first seat deposit deadline. From my understanding that deadline was April 1st for those who didn't attend the ASD, and April 15th for those who did. Do you think now would be a good time to send a negotiation letter or to wait after the 4/15 deadline? I'd hate to waste a perfectly good negotiation letter by requesting consideration a second time only to be told they're still out of funds and will be until after 4/15.

So what do you guys think, send the negotiation letter now or wait until after 4/15?
You could always call first so you don't have to give away your name, and just ask if they are now allocating more funds since the April 1st deadline date has passed. Then you wouldn't have to waste a negotiation letter.
I attempted to negotiate last week and they told me that would not be able to negotiate any further with scholarships until after 4/15 (unfortunately no concrete date was given)

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:13 am

The chances of our administration renegotiating after you deposit is next to nothing. I'll gladly share a series of emails between current 2Ls and the administration when we tried to renegotiate our scholarship money after knocking 1L out of the park (I was sure to forward it to my alternate account so I can throw it back at them when they ask me to donate money). They led us on all summer then it suddenly materialized there was no money to be had. Many people, myself included, declined transferring based on their promised money. Our administration is horrible and dishonest (as if you didn't know this) - which reflects nothing on the teachers, fwiw. Good luck.

DD352

New

Post by DD352 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:56 am

beach_terror wrote:The chances of our administration renegotiating after you deposit is next to nothing. I'll gladly share a series of emails between current 2Ls and the administration when we tried to renegotiate our scholarship money after knocking 1L out of the park (I was sure to forward it to my alternate account so I can throw it back at them when they ask me to donate money). They led us on all summer then it suddenly materialized there was no money to be had. Many people, myself included, declined transferring based on their promised money. Our administration is horrible and dishonest (as if you didn't know this) - which reflects nothing on the teachers, fwiw. Good luck.
This is why I'm transferring. Crushed it fall semester, and they refuse to show me any love. Paying full tuition -- I'll gladly pay it somewhere else. Villanova is great, but you have to watch out for your best interests.

B986

Bronze

Post by B986 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:42 am

Probably a dumb question, but is it possible to not submit a deposit and stand a chance of not losing your seat entirely? Or is a lack of deposit 100% taken as an express denial of their offer of admission? I want to try to hang on to see if Nova has more money to give after the 15th, but I don't really want to deposit to keep my seat and likely lose all leverage as a result (and eat the $ if they end up not having any more funds). But maybe that's the only way?

melk724

New

Post by melk724 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:16 pm

Anyone get a living/housing/book stipend this year?? Wondering if they are offering them this year..

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:33 pm

DD352 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:The chances of our administration renegotiating after you deposit is next to nothing. I'll gladly share a series of emails between current 2Ls and the administration when we tried to renegotiate our scholarship money after knocking 1L out of the park (I was sure to forward it to my alternate account so I can throw it back at them when they ask me to donate money). They led us on all summer then it suddenly materialized there was no money to be had. Many people, myself included, declined transferring based on their promised money. Our administration is horrible and dishonest (as if you didn't know this) - which reflects nothing on the teachers, fwiw. Good luck.
This is why I'm transferring. Crushed it fall semester, and they refuse to show me any love. Paying full tuition -- I'll gladly pay it somewhere else. Villanova is great, but you have to watch out for your best interests.
Good stuff. For my class they lifted gpa requirements for schollys. So now people in my class with 2.6s have a full ride and my scholarshipless 3.5 has none. I'll be in a position to donate money after I graduate but simply will not because of that. Good luck getting a donation from people in the bottom half of the class.

grovevilleroad

New

Post by grovevilleroad » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:53 pm

beach_terror wrote:Good luck getting a donation from people in the bottom half of the class.
awesome

geekrocker37

Bronze

Post by geekrocker37 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:50 pm

beach_terror wrote:
DD352 wrote:
Good stuff. For my class they lifted gpa requirements for schollys. So now people in my class with 2.6s have a full ride and my scholarshipless 3.5 has none. I'll be in a position to donate money after I graduate but simply will not because of that. Good luck getting a donation from people in the bottom half of the class.

Yeah at this point if they get a donation from outside the top 5% i'll be stunned. I wouldn't give them another penny.

B986

Bronze

Post by B986 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:28 am

I think some of the current Nova students on here send such mixed messages. So defensive of the school and quick to dismiss people's concerns re ranking and reputation, yet so adamant that they will never donate and so clearly bitter toward the school. It's confusing!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hob12

Bronze

Post by hob12 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:57 am

melk724 wrote:Anyone get a living/housing/book stipend this year?? Wondering if they are offering them this year..
Also interested in this- is it really just a dick move to ask for a living stipend after getting full scholly? Trying to decide Wash and Lee or Nova and am looking for things on both sides to sway me.

lawyerinwaiting

New

Post by lawyerinwaiting » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:31 pm

been in review since freakin 1/26....withdrew today.

JD Janitor

Bronze

Post by JD Janitor » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:37 pm

I have till april 15th to decide if i want to drop 200K+ at this school. It is very difficult to get a feeling for the school when you have students talking up the school and talking down the school at the same time.

Is it a good school that can open the door to good jobs or is it not a good school? It can't be both.

srfngdd6

Bronze

Post by srfngdd6 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:42 pm

JD Janitor wrote:I have till april 15th to decide if i want to drop 200K+ at this school. It is very difficult to get a feeling for the school when you have students talking up the school and talking down the school at the same time.

Is it a good school that can open the door to good jobs or is it not a good school? It can't be both.
not worth 200k IMO...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SCOTUS40

New

Post by SCOTUS40 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:38 pm

Who is thinking about matriculating? I put my deposit in yesterday.

SUCO

New

Post by SUCO » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:42 pm

SCOTUS40 wrote:Who is thinking about matriculating? I put my deposit in yesterday.
For those that are attending:

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 2&t=181752

DD352

New

Post by DD352 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:46 pm

JD Janitor wrote:
It IS a good school. The faculty, in my limited exposure, are top notch. Like any other school, being in the top 20% will open so many doors for you. It's not hard to do well here, you just have to put the work in -- you will be rewarded if you do. It is like this at practically any other school.

cphal

New

Post by cphal » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:35 pm

SUCO wrote:
SCOTUS40 wrote:Who is thinking about matriculating? I put my deposit in yesterday.
For those that are attending:

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 2&t=181752
+1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JD Janitor

Bronze

Post by JD Janitor » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:22 pm

If anyone would like to get the roommate situation in line send a PM to me. Id like to try to find someone sometime soon.

grovevilleroad

New

Post by grovevilleroad » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:43 pm

melk724 wrote:Anyone get a living/housing/book stipend this year?? Wondering if they are offering them this year..
Also interested in this...

bdaddy345

New

Post by bdaddy345 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:30 am

I don't have time to read all the debate back and forth, but if anyone is wondering if they will negotiate scholarships after depositing and after they have stated they're out of cash, the answer is YES. It happened to me. I got a significant jump after getting off a waitlist that gave me leverage. Just because there's no $ now, doesn't mean that'll be the case 1-3 months from now. People will get off waitlists and give up schollys and rising 2L's who are looking to xfer who currently have scholly's will free up money too. Anyways, good luck.

As far as our administration being deceptive about leading rising 2L's into thinking they have opportunities at scholarship so that they wouldn't xfer, I think that's a little unfounded. I don't know why a person wouldn't continue with xfer applications despite the statements from the administration of the possibility of having money available.............just a thought.

JD Janitor

Bronze

Post by JD Janitor » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:47 am

bdaddy345 wrote:I don't have time to read all the debate back and forth, but if anyone is wondering if they will negotiate scholarships after depositing and after they have stated they're out of cash, the answer is YES. It happened to me. I got a significant jump after getting off a waitlist that gave me leverage. Just because there's no $ now, doesn't mean that'll be the case 1-3 months from now. People will get off waitlists and give up schollys and rising 2L's who are looking to xfer who currently have scholly's will free up money too. Anyways, good luck.

As far as our administration being deceptive about leading rising 2L's into thinking they have opportunities at scholarship so that they wouldn't xfer, I think that's a little unfounded. I don't know why a person wouldn't continue with xfer applications despite the statements from the administration of the possibility of having money available.............just a thought.
Interesting. I feel like everyone tries to pump these threads full of doom and gloom to the point that the truth doesn't ever surface. My approach is this: its never as bad as some suggest and its never as good as others insist.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

grovevilleroad

New

Post by grovevilleroad » Wed May 09, 2012 1:00 pm

grovevilleroad wrote:

swishin and dishin

New

Post by swishin and dishin » Thu May 10, 2012 7:07 am

I withdrew w a full offer so I am curious of they are still saying they have no more money freed up. I really hope it finds one of you guys
Good luck

quote="grovevilleroad"]
grovevilleroad wrote:
[/quote]

JD Janitor

Bronze

Post by JD Janitor » Thu May 10, 2012 8:58 am

swishin and dishin wrote:I withdrew w a full offer so I am curious of they are still saying they have no more money freed up. I really hope it finds one of you guys
Good luck

quote="grovevilleroad"]
grovevilleroad wrote:
[/quote]

I have been told there is still no more money. I was not offered any scholarship but have been offered substantial $$ to peer schools.

grovevilleroad

New

Post by grovevilleroad » Thu May 10, 2012 12:15 pm

JD Janitor wrote:
swishin and dishin wrote:I withdrew w a full offer so I am curious of they are still saying they have no more money freed up. I really hope it finds one of you guys
Good luck
grovevilleroad wrote:
I have been told there is still no more money. I was not offered any scholarship but have been offered substantial $$ to peer schools.
They didn't tell me there is no more money, but only that they are not offering living or book stipends to students who were offered a full ride. They did offer this last year to students, which is very appealing, so I am not sure why they wouldn't this year with the continuing negativity surrounding the school.

I am sure the school offers a lot more than is actually budgeted for scholarships since there is no chance 100% will matriculate. So even if some kids withdraw with full rides, there still may not be any money left to offer scholarships.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”