DePaul 2011-2012 Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
GreySkyEyes

New

Re: DePaul 2011-2012 Cycle

Post by GreySkyEyes » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:22 pm

CameDownHoldUp wrote:Depending on what the scholly packet looks like, definitely considering this as an option. Anyone heard what is the most price efficient living quarters in the Chi? Like the previous two posters, also an Ohio native.
Hello fellow Ohioan! I've been looking at places for a few weeks now and leave tomorrow to find a place to live(I'm relocating mid-march). I have a few friends who live or have lived in Chicago and taking my recommendations from them; Bucktown, the Ukrainian Village(best bang for your buck), and Wicker Park. I found one place I will be looking at in Wrigleyville, but the locale tends to be higher priced. I have two dogs who will be coming with me, so I am also looking in the burbs.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I will give you as much info as I can or ask my friends. Also, where in Ohio??

CameDownHoldUp

New

Post by CameDownHoldUp » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:25 pm

GreySkyEyes wrote:
CameDownHoldUp wrote:Depending on what the scholly packet looks like, definitely considering this as an option. Anyone heard what is the most price efficient living quarters in the Chi? Like the previous two posters, also an Ohio native.
Hello fellow Ohioan! I've been looking at places for a few weeks now and leave tomorrow to find a place to live(I'm relocating mid-march). I have a few friends who live or have lived in Chicago and taking my recommendations from them; Bucktown, the Ukrainian Village(best bang for your buck), and Wicker Park. I found one place I will be looking at in Wrigleyville, but the locale tends to be higher priced. I have two dogs who will be coming with me, so I am also looking in the burbs.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I will give you as much info as I can or ask my friends. Also, where in Ohio??

Youngstown originally, finishing up UG at UAkron. Thanks for the info! And as time goes by, I feel that a PM will work it's way into your Inbox.

arae13

New

Post by arae13 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:06 pm

CameDownHoldUp wrote:Hello fellow Ohioan! I've been looking at places for a few weeks now and leave tomorrow to find a place to live(I'm relocating mid-march). I have a few friends who live or have lived in Chicago and taking my recommendations from them; Bucktown, the Ukrainian Village(best bang for your buck), and Wicker Park. I found one place I will be looking at in Wrigleyville, but the locale tends to be higher priced. I have two dogs who will be coming with me, so I am also looking in the burbs.
As a native Chicagoan and DePaul student, I can tell you right now that 1. while those neighborhoods ARE becoming gentrified, they are not the safest (putting it lightly) 2. prices are going up in those neighborhoods because of gentrificiation and 3. all of those neighborhoods, especially UK Village, Wicker Park and Bucktown are VERY far from DePaul's law school. Even Wrigley is far but it's reasonably close to the transportation that you'll need to get to DePaul.

GreySkyEyes

New

Post by GreySkyEyes » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:13 pm

arae13 wrote:
CameDownHoldUp wrote:Hello fellow Ohioan! I've been looking at places for a few weeks now and leave tomorrow to find a place to live(I'm relocating mid-march). I have a few friends who live or have lived in Chicago and taking my recommendations from them; Bucktown, the Ukrainian Village(best bang for your buck), and Wicker Park. I found one place I will be looking at in Wrigleyville, but the locale tends to be higher priced. I have two dogs who will be coming with me, so I am also looking in the burbs.
As a native Chicagoan and DePaul student, I can tell you right now that 1. while those neighborhoods ARE becoming gentrified, they are not the safest (putting it lightly) 2. prices are going up in those neighborhoods because of gentrificiation and 3. all of those neighborhoods, especially UK Village, Wicker Park and Bucktown are VERY far from DePaul's law school. Even Wrigley is far but it's reasonably close to the transportation that you'll need to get to DePaul.

Where would you recommend? A friend currently lives in Bucktown and he and his wife love it. He and another friend of mine told me UK village and Wicker Park were great choices. Maybe they're trying to get me mugged. :shock: I don't really think of a 20-40 min commute(by walking/CTA) as very far? I've also looked as far out as Libertyville and Grayslake. Your input would be greatly appreciated!

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:37 pm

My parents are paying for my apartment.

That being said, if I do come to Depaul, where should I look on living? I'm pretty sure my mom would prefer to shell out more money knowing I'm not going to get stabbed coming home from class. :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:38 pm

arae13 wrote:

What are a couple of neighborhoods that you recommend that are safe and close then?

puremorning

Silver

Post by puremorning » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:53 pm

givemea170 wrote:
arae13 wrote:

What are a couple of neighborhoods that you recommend that are safe and close then?
If you have someone else paying for your housing then just live by the school. That's what I'd do if I had no budget in Chicago. My parents were that way too when I lived in NYC.

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:07 pm

puremorning wrote:
givemea170 wrote:
arae13 wrote:

If you have someone else paying for your housing then just live by the school. That's what I'd do if I had no budget in Chicago. My parents were that way too when I lived in NYC.
Some pretty nice apartments near there? I haven't been there in a couple of years but loved the food!

arae13

New

Post by arae13 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:33 am

Like I said, there are parts of Bucktown, Wicker Park and UK Village that are nice because they are becoming gentrified. I suppose a 20-40 minute commute seems like a lot to me because I'm a city kid and I'm used to using public transit for its efficiency.

That being said, I strongly recommend Lincoln Park or Lakeview if you have someone paying for it. These are located near DePaul's main campus (not where the law school is) and they are considered some of the nicest neighborhoods in Chicago. But even if you don't have someone paying for it, you can find affordable living quarters in these areas for a good price, but you'll need to do some searching.

Another great thing about LP and Lakeview (or even Wrigley) is that they're near lots of entertainment, places to eat, shop, etc. While being a 1L isn't exactly conducive to taking in these activities, it's still nice to be around an area that doesn't completely feel like a huge metropolis.

Of course you can always consider the South Loop, where the law school is located. But be prepared to stay up all night with sirens, car horn and trains speeding by.

I've lived in Lincoln Park apartments throughout my entire undergrad career and they've all been very afforable. PM me if you want more info!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tmack002

New

Post by tmack002 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:11 pm

In Via Email.

3.39/ 160 URM with an MBA and WE

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:13 pm

Quick question...

Who do you think would have better job opportunities? Top 10% at Depaul or middle of the pack at UIUC? Just a hypothetical.

rma

Bronze

Post by rma » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:08 pm

givemea170 wrote:Quick question...

Who do you think would have better job opportunities? Top 10% at Depaul or middle of the pack at UIUC? Just a hypothetical.
This is a tough one. I'd lean toward Top 10% at DePaul, but this is just my speculation. If you had said LUC, then I'd say LUC Top 10% over median at UIUC easily (based on big law statistics).

Part of my speculation to lean towards DePaul Top 10% is because at least that would put you in range to transfer to a T20, and possibly the lower of the T14. Median at UIUC means you're stuck.

flyingduck

New

Post by flyingduck » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:51 pm

rma wrote:

This is a tough one. I'd lean toward Top 10% at DePaul, but this is just my speculation. If you had said LUC, then I'd say LUC Top 10% over median at UIUC easily (based on big law statistics).

Part of my speculation to lean towards DePaul Top 10% is because at least that would put you in range to transfer to a T20, and possibly the lower of the T14. Median at UIUC means you're stuck.
rma wrote:

IMHO, I'd lean toward 50% at Illinois. Even if you could transfer, you wouldn't have the reputation and gpa/ranking data from the new T20/T14 school to use during OCI after immediately 1L. And OCI at Illinois for the Chicago/Illinois market is better than OCI at DePaul. Employment opportunities outside of Chicago would be better for middle-of-the-pack students at Illinois than the 10% at DePaul because Illinois is a T regional and Depaul is a TT/TTT school that only feeds into the Chicago area, right? That's what I figure at least.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rma

Bronze

Post by rma » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:26 pm

flyingduck wrote:
rma wrote:

rma wrote:

IMHO, I'd lean toward 50% at Illinois. Even if you could transfer, you wouldn't have the reputation and gpa/ranking data from the new T20/T14 school to use during OCI after immediately 1L. And OCI at Illinois for the Chicago/Illinois market is better than OCI at DePaul. Employment opportunities outside of Chicago would be better for middle-of-the-pack students at Illinois than the 10% at DePaul because Illinois is a T regional and Depaul is a TT/TTT school that only feeds into the Chicago area, right? That's what I figure at least.
I have to disagree. Even if you don't have GPA/rank at the new school, transfer seems to do fairly well at OCI because it shows commitment and persistence. You many not have grades, but employers know you must have done well otherwise you wouldn't have been able to transfer. I know a guy who transferred out of DePaul, was Top 10%, and is now at a T14.

Middle of the pack at Illinois would suck. Outside of Chicago, the options for middle of the pack become Springfield and Peoria, not exactly options most people want to consider.

Top 10% at DePaul gives you some transfer options, and would probably get you something better in Chicago than median at UIUC would. Despite being 0L, I've been around these boards long enou and read quite a bit that I'm pretty confident of this.

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:58 pm

Admitted back in December to the PT program with no scholarship. I sent an e-mail trying to negotiate some money with the Dean of Admissions but it he responded saying that they have limited funds, which prohibits them from increasing offers or making new ones so I'm stuck at sticker. We'll see how everything else shakes out but that's a good deal of debt for me...

legalgirly

New

Post by legalgirly » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:00 pm

Did anyone else receive a waitlist email?

On my waitlist confirmation page, I clicked on "I remain interested in being admitted to DePaul. Please consider me for both the full-time day and part-time evening programs."

They stated that this wouldn't jeopardize my admission to the full-time program. Did anyone get off the waitlist for the PT program that wanted the FT program?

Congratulations to all that were admitted!!

SomethingSpecial

New

Post by SomethingSpecial » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:31 pm

I got in last week! Yay!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

artorres

New

Post by artorres » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:15 pm

wfudeacons2005 wrote:Admitted back in December to the PT program with no scholarship. I sent an e-mail trying to negotiate some money with the Dean of Admissions but it he responded saying that they have limited funds, which prohibits them from increasing offers or making new ones so I'm stuck at sticker. We'll see how everything else shakes out but that's a good deal of debt for me...
When did you send an email?

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:25 pm

artorres wrote:
wfudeacons2005 wrote:Admitted back in December to the PT program with no scholarship. I sent an e-mail trying to negotiate some money with the Dean of Admissions but it he responded saying that they have limited funds, which prohibits them from increasing offers or making new ones so I'm stuck at sticker. We'll see how everything else shakes out but that's a good deal of debt for me...
Sent the e-mail Sunday night and got a response Monday morning...

artorres

New

Post by artorres » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:45 pm

wfudeacons2005 wrote:
artorres wrote:
Sent the e-mail Sunday night and got a response Monday morning...
That's interesting. I sent one over two weeks ago--no reply. I wonder if they are ignoring me. :-( I'm sorry you didn't get a favorable response. At least you tried.

Yesenia117

New

Post by Yesenia117 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:43 am

Since everyone is posting their scholarships... i just got my acceptance packet today in the mail (yay!) i got 15k over 3 years with a 2.3 stip... sure as hell kills a 3.2! also: is anyone going to March 13th admitted students day? i'm from jersey so i can only go during my spring break! let me know :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SomethingSpecial

New

Post by SomethingSpecial » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:14 pm

I got $45,000 for 3 years with a 2.3. Yay!

:D

legalgirly

New

Post by legalgirly » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:28 pm

Anybody off the waitlist?

dreambig

New

Post by dreambig » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:33 pm

Accepted a couple of hours ago

hernanmi

New

Post by hernanmi » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:37 pm

Anyone going to the pizza and beer night tomorrow at Pazzo's in Chicago?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”