BYU 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dave514

New

Re: BYU 2012

Post by dave514 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:35 am

My backup option is the University of San Diego. How about you?

JDAviator

New

Post by JDAviator » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:59 pm

:?
Last edited by JDAviator on Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snd1988

New

Post by snd1988 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:24 pm

JDAviator wrote:Oh nice. I served my mission in San Diego. Great backup plan!

I withdrew from other schools so I will retake the LSAT and try again for BYU next year. I did have Texas Tech as a backup but decided it is worth a year to wait and attend BYU. I only applied to them and Utah, but Utah denied me. So next year I will apply to more schools outside of Utah since it seems schools like Mormons.
I live in San Diego! Isn't is amazinnnng!? :)
Keep showing interest in BYU! Around this time I sent an email stating that I appreciated them taking the time over the last several months to look over my application and that I would reapply for admission the following year, and that's how I got deferred admission. :)

dave514

New

Post by dave514 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:17 pm

Yeah San Diego is an awesome place! I've visited there many times and heard great things about the school. I would still take BYU over San Diego but it is a good backup option. So JD aviator you are still on the wait list right? It's just if you get rejected off the wait list you will reapply next year? I have thought about doing that but I am pretty anxious to start law school this year. I hope they start making decisions soon because I am ready to start making plans!

JDAviator

New

Post by JDAviator » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:07 pm

Thanks for the advice.
Last edited by JDAviator on Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JDAviator

New

Post by JDAviator » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:12 pm

dave514 wrote:Yeah San Diego is an awesome place! I've visited there many times and heard great things about the school. I would still take BYU over San Diego but it is a good backup option. So JD aviator you are still on the wait list right? It's just if you get rejected off the wait list you will reapply next year? I have thought about doing that but I am pretty anxious to start law school this year. I hope they start making decisions soon because I am ready to start making plans!
Yeah it is tough. I am buying a condo in Orem and hoping for the best. My wife got a job down there too. So I am all ready to go when BYU says yes. If they don't then I will be pissed and then be motivated to study for a better LSAT score! I am not in a hurry to get into school though. I think a break would be kind of nice, yet I want to be done with law school sooner. So its a catch 22.

I don't think you would regret going to SD even with the higher cost associated. I was dumb and didn't apply everywhere because I got so low on the LSAT. Now I wish I would have just applied all over to see who might have accepted me. Oh well...

Trying a JD 2012

New

Post by Trying a JD 2012 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:01 am

I think it is diversity. Other schools outside of Utah probably want lds students. My buddy got into Notre Dame early on but got wait listed at BYU. Why don't u want to go to the t20 school?[/quote]

I already live in Utah with my spouse who has a job and our children are in school. It just seems to make the most sense to stay here in Utah. I have asked the other schools I am considering to give me as much time as they can to let me make a decision and they have been pretty good about that.

JDAviator

New

Post by JDAviator » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:44 pm

Heard anything? My friend had an interview today with Dean Hernandez.

Trying a JD 2012

New

Post by Trying a JD 2012 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:51 pm

JDAviator wrote:Heard anything? My friend had an interview today with Dean Hernandez.
It is quiet for me. I can almost hear the crickets chirping on my future at BYU Law. I am still on the waitlist, at least they haven't contacted me to tell me otherwise, but am not hopeful at all about attending.

At this point I have focused my energies on attending a different school for the fall. Good luck to the rest of you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JDAviator

New

Post by JDAviator » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:56 pm

Trying a JD 2012 wrote:
JDAviator wrote:Heard anything? My friend had an interview today with Dean Hernandez.
It is quiet for me. I can almost hear the crickets chirping on my future at BYU Law. I am still on the waitlist, at least they haven't contacted me to tell me otherwise, but am not hopeful at all about attending.

At this point I have focused my energies on attending a different school for the fall. Good luck to the rest of you.

Thanks. Best wishes with your schooling and career.

No phone call must mean we are getting a letter of rejection.

Trying a JD 2012

New

Post by Trying a JD 2012 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:09 pm

JDAviator wrote:
Trying a JD 2012 wrote:

Thanks. Best wishes with your schooling and career.

No phone call must mean we are getting a letter of rejection.
I called them and asked since I haven't been given an offer yet if I should just withdraw. They said that I could be given an offer the first day of school. Not sure how I feel about that answer.

jenkswarrior

New

Post by jenkswarrior » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:48 pm

Hey all! I was accepted a little while ago, just came to see how people on the boards were doing. I thought some of you might be getting frustrated, so if it helps here's what I know about admissions at this point. It's slowed down, but people are still being added to the accepted students fb page, so the waitlist is alive and well. My very good friend was accepted to BYU after school had already started, like a couple days in, and now she's number 3 in her year. So if BYU's really the school you want, just keep swimming :). My numbers were very similar to the numbers I've seen you guys discussing. Also, someone's mentioned on the fb page that they're probably withdrawing, and I know of at least one other student who paid her deposit but is now going to Uni. Texas. I don't know if this helps anyone, but I thought I'd put it out there.

T14HopefulAK

New

Post by T14HopefulAK » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:29 pm

Congrats! Would you mind sharing your stats?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jenkswarrior

New

Post by jenkswarrior » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:08 am

Sure I'll pm it to you. Anyone else who's interested just let me know.

bloobook

Bronze

Post by bloobook » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:20 pm

Trying a JD 2012

New

Post by Trying a JD 2012 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:01 pm

Got this email this afternoon:

----------------------------------
Dear Trying a JD 2012,

Thank you for your continued patience with the wait list process. The Admissions Committee is reaching final decisions on wait listed candidates and is interested in knowing whether you still wish to be considered at this time, or, whether you have made definitive plans to attend elsewhere. If we do not hear from you, we will assume that you are no longer able to consider BYU as an option and we will release you from further consideration for admission to BYU Law School.

We appreciate your interest in BYU Law and look forward to hearing from you.

---------------------------------

Anyone else get this? Is this a good sign for me? Is this "standard" and everyone on the waitlist got this?

bombasty

New

Post by bombasty » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:46 pm

Trying a JD 2012 wrote:Anyone else get this? Is this a good sign for me? Is this "standard" and everyone on the waitlist got this?
I got an e-mail today dropping me from the waitlist. So, yes, it's a good sign for you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Trying a JD 2012

New

Post by Trying a JD 2012 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:28 pm

bombasty wrote:
Trying a JD 2012 wrote:Anyone else get this? Is this a good sign for me? Is this "standard" and everyone on the waitlist got this?
I got an e-mail today dropping me from the waitlist. So, yes, it's a good sign for you.
Sorry to hear that Bombasty.

jenkswarrior

New

Post by jenkswarrior » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:54 pm

Trying a JD 2012 wrote:Got this email this afternoon:

Dear Trying a JD 2012,

Thank you for your continued patience with the wait list process. The Admissions Committee is reaching final decisions on wait listed candidates and is interested in knowing whether you still wish to be considered at this time, or, whether you have made definitive plans to attend elsewhere. If we do not hear from you, we will assume that you are no longer able to consider BYU as an option and we will release you from further consideration for admission to BYU Law School.

Anyone else get this? Is this a good sign for me? Is this "standard" and everyone on the waitlist got this?
This is a great sign! This looks almost exactly like the letter they sent me before they called me in for my interview and acceptance. They probably did send it to quite a few people, but if you let them know you're still really interested you may be hearing back soon.

Trying a JD 2012

New

Post by Trying a JD 2012 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:32 pm

jenkswarrior wrote:

Dear Trying a JD 2012,

This is a great sign! This looks almost exactly like the letter they sent me before they called me in for my interview and acceptance. They probably did send it to quite a few people, but if you let them know you're still really interested you may be hearing back soon.
Thanks Jenkswarrior! I did email back right away and let them know that I am very interested and would love to have an offer of admission as BYU Law remains my top choice. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Trying a JD 2012

New

Post by Trying a JD 2012 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:59 am

Trying a JD 2012 wrote:
jenkswarrior wrote:

Dear Trying a JD 2012,

Thanks Jenkswarrior! I did email back right away and let them know that I am very interested and would love to have an offer of admission as BYU Law remains my top choice. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Anyone in this forum that was accepted to Utah and BYU? If so, please PM me as I would love to ask you some specific questions about your decision process as I am currently in that process. :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JDAviator

New

Post by JDAviator » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:47 pm

Wait did BYU offer you a spot? Or are you just thinking they will? That is great if you got off the wait list. There is still hope for me!

buddyt

Silver

Post by buddyt » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:41 pm

I'm not sure when orientation/classes are for BYU, but I'm applying this coming cycle. Can someone report on class size and/or LSAT/GPA stats for this incoming class? Thanks.

snd1988

New

Post by snd1988 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:09 pm

buddytyler wrote:I'm not sure when orientation/classes are for BYU, but I'm applying this coming cycle. Can someone report on class size and/or LSAT/GPA stats for this incoming class? Thanks.
Orientation was Aug. 15 and we've had regular classes for two weeks now. We don't have our class profile, yet. However, typically they will update it for the new application cycle. The incoming class for 2011-2012 is posed now so I expect the new class to be posted sometime in the future. Are you applying for the 2013-2014 year?

buddyt

Silver

Post by buddyt » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:50 pm

snd1988 wrote:
buddytyler wrote:I'm not sure when orientation/classes are for BYU, but I'm applying this coming cycle. Can someone report on class size and/or LSAT/GPA stats for this incoming class? Thanks.
Orientation was Aug. 15 and we've had regular classes for two weeks now. We don't have our class profile, yet. However, typically they will update it for the new application cycle. The incoming class for 2011-2012 is posed now so I expect the new class to be posted sometime in the future. Are you applying for the 2013-2014 year?
I'm applying this cycle (2012-2013, class of 2016). Thanks for the info; I'll keep checking their site.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”