BYU 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sabenser

Bronze

Re: BYU 2012

Post by sabenser » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:45 pm

cougarlive wrote:I wonder how much of their class they have filled. Any ideas? I'm guessing (read: hoping) its close to 20% and they still have a lot of seats for people like me.
It stinks in one sense but it also gives you hope, that they seem to accept up to the last second. I know some in my 1L class that were accepted days before classes started. I don't know if this is true, but I've heard that they won't give offers to more than 150 at any single moment, which is the target class size, rather than giving offers to 200 and planning on 150 enrolling. If that is true, then it might explain why it gets dragged on so long.

snd1988

New

Post by snd1988 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:56 am

cougarlive wrote:I wonder how much of their class they have filled. Any ideas? I'm guessing (read: hoping) its close to 20% and they still have a lot of seats for people like me.
As of this week there are 52 students on the Admitted Student's Facebook group...you get an invite to the group after you have accepted admission...So, there are 52 matriculates so far. Of course, keep in mind not every admitted student probably has a facebook...so I would say about 20% is accurate.

jenkswarrior

New

Post by jenkswarrior » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:03 pm

sabenser wrote:
A few weeks ago I actually asked GaeLynn approximately what percentage of the class had already been admitted. She said it was far more than half. Idk. Take that for what it's worth. I'd imagine once seat deposits are due people will see more movement.

cougarlive

Bronze

Post by cougarlive » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:42 pm

jenkswarrior wrote:
sabenser wrote:
A few weeks ago I actually asked GaeLynn approximately what percentage of the class had already been admitted. She said it was far more than half. Idk. Take that for what it's worth. I'd imagine once seat deposits are due people will see more movement.

Interesting....it would make more sense if the percentage was higher than 20%, it just hasn't seemed from the (imperfect indicators) like lawschoolnumbers, tls, and Facebook that it was that high. Not to mention the app deadline extension. Anyway, willing and ready to wait seeing as how it's still worth it for me, just hoping the wait doesn't cost me a seat deposit at a school I won't end up attending.

winnie80

New

Post by winnie80 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:08 pm

I got an e-mail yesterday from Admissions that indicated I was "an applicant of interest." I was asked to give further justification for my desire to attend the Y, and to indicate what my other school options were. I played it straight and was honest with them - admitted at some other great schools with scholarships at a few. Now I'm worried they'll see that and think it's no big deal if they send me somewhere else.

Anybody else get an e-mail like this?

Also, does anyone have Dean Hernandez's e-mail? I'd like to send him something to reinforce some of my soft quals while I'm (hopefully) closer to the top of the pile.

Cheers!

-jw-

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sabenser

Bronze

Post by sabenser » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:44 pm

winnie80 wrote:I got an e-mail yesterday from Admissions that indicated I was "an applicant of interest." I was asked to give further justification for my desire to attend the Y, and to indicate what my other school options were. I played it straight and was honest with them - admitted at some other great schools with scholarships at a few. Now I'm worried they'll see that and think it's no big deal if they send me somewhere else.

Also, does anyone have Dean Hernandez's e-mail? I'd like to send him something to reinforce some of my soft quals while I'm (hopefully) closer to the top of the pile.

Cheers!

-jw-
--LinkRemoved--

winnie80

New

Post by winnie80 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:07 am

sabenser wrote:
winnie80 wrote:I got an e-mail yesterday from Admissions that indicated I was "an applicant of interest." I was asked to give further justification for my desire to attend the Y, and to indicate what my other school options were. I played it straight and was honest with them - admitted at some other great schools with scholarships at a few. Now I'm worried they'll see that and think it's no big deal if they send me somewhere else.

Cheers!

-jw-
--LinkRemoved--
thank you!

travis9952

New

Post by travis9952 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:59 pm

Was anyone admitted by the status checker alone? Or did everyone receive a phone call or an email?

justathought21

New

Post by justathought21 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:48 pm

Is BYU a good school outside of Utah?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bombasty

New

Post by bombasty » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:24 pm

justathought21 wrote:Is BYU a good school outside of Utah?
Ranked 39th by USN (updated a couple of weeks ago). That ties it with George Mason, Maryland, and OSU.

In 2011, they placed about 30% of their graduates outside of the Mountain West.

For what it's worth.

http://www.law2.byu.edu/page/?id=prospe ... t=empstats
Last edited by bombasty on Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

austrascruff

New

Post by austrascruff » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:32 pm

travis9952 wrote:Was anyone admitted by the status checker alone? Or did everyone receive a phone call or an email?
In years past I believe they only contacted people who they thought might go somewhere else, as in high GPA LSAT scores. Then they send out the rest of the acceptances, waitlist, or rejections by mail. Not positive, but I think that is how it worked.

staloysius

New

Post by staloysius » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:21 am

justathought21 wrote:Is BYU a good school outside of Utah?

Most schools aren't very strong outside their geographic region. BYU is slightly different in that it is known more as a conservative religious school than as a regional school. It also happens that the majority of LDS church members live the the mountain west, the region in which BYU is located.

If you haven't already, I would recommend reading BYU's TLS profile: http://www.top-law-schools.com/brigham-young-law.html

Trying a JD 2012

New

Post by Trying a JD 2012 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:08 pm

So I put $ down at my other two top choices as I still haven't heard from BYU. :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cougarlive

Bronze

Post by cougarlive » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:40 pm

Did anyone go to the admitted students event? How many people attended? Any word? I went to te university of washington's admitted students weekend, and think I'm sold. Won't know for sure until I hear back from BYU so I can make an informed decision.

randomwombat

New

Post by randomwombat » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:37 am

cougarlive wrote:Did anyone go to the admitted students event? How many people attended? Any word? I went to te university of washington's admitted students weekend, and think I'm sold. Won't know for sure until I hear back from BYU so I can make an informed decision.
I'm sure you'll get into BYU and I'm sure you'll make the right decision and withdraw from UW and I'm sure your spot at UW will be given to me. :P

jenkswarrior

New

Post by jenkswarrior » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:36 am

In. :) I don't think I'll believe it till I send in the money. Good luck everybody!

Trying a JD 2012

New

Post by Trying a JD 2012 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:02 am

Trying a JD 2012 wrote:So I put $ down at my other two top choices as I still haven't heard from BYU. :(
I was waitlisted today. Not sure how I feel about that. I mean good since it is not a flat out rejection but its not really an acceptance either!

Anyone else waitlisted today? How long will we have to wait? They said to let them know by the 13th -- so I emailed them as soon as I read their email. I was confused that they said not to send in anything additional (like no LOCI, etc....)

Do you think the WL is a "one-time" decision? Like they don't actually keep adding to it at this point do they? Also, how many people do you think are on it? Do they typically take many people off of the list? When would I have a final decision by?

Any way, if any of you are waitlisted as well and want to PM me -- feel free!

By the way, congrats to those that got accepted today!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

snd1988

New

Post by snd1988 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:52 am

Trying a JD 2012 wrote:
Trying a JD 2012 wrote:So I put $ down at my other two top choices as I still haven't heard from BYU. :(
I was waitlisted today. Not sure how I feel about that. I mean good since it is not a flat out rejection but its not really an acceptance either!

Anyone else waitlisted today? How long will we have to wait? They said to let them know by the 13th -- so I emailed them as soon as I read their email. I was confused that they said not to send in anything additional (like no LOCI, etc....)

Do you think the WL is a "one-time" decision? Like they don't actually keep adding to it at this point do they? Also, how many people do you think are on it? Do they typically take many people off of the list? When would I have a final decision by?

Any way, if any of you are waitlisted as well and want to PM me -- feel free!

By the way, congrats to those that got accepted today!
BYU has been known to keep people on the waitlist until the day before classes. This happened to a friend of mine who is currently a 3L, and it happened to me last year (though I deferred admission to this term). However, that is the exception, not the rule. The waitlist is not ranked. When a spot opens up, they will review all the applications in the waitlist pool and take an applicant. I believe the application is closed, so likely the waitlist will not grow. Usually, about three people are taken off the waitlist, from what I remember being told last year. I believe there are usually 80-100 people on the WL. These are things I remembered from last year.

Waiting to get into BYU can be a long process...I would recommend putting a deposit down and waiting it out. If you get accepted off the waitlist late in the process, I don't believe they have you pay a seat deposit (at least, my 3L friend didn't have to).

The part about not sending anything else means they will only review your application as is...and will not take into consideration any transcript or GPA changes, ect (to be fair to people who have been rejected that didn't have the time to raise their GPA and what not).

Hope this helps! Best of luck to you!

davidfett

New

Post by davidfett » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:44 pm

Trying a JD 2012 wrote:

Anyone else waitlisted today?
Same here. I don't like that they might let you know the day before classes start. I have to make plans for the next year, and its hard to have to factor in something that might happen that quick. I've given myself an ultimatum- if they don't let me know three weeks before classes start, I'll take my name off the list and just make my other plans. I almost wish I would have been straight up rejected - it would make planning a lot easier!

bulldoglaw

New

Post by bulldoglaw » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:19 pm

Decision rendered today. No deposit amounts on status checker. I'm not expecting to be accepted to BYU, but I was at least hoping for a wait list. Did anyone have deposit amounts on the status check website? I went complete in December, it'll be nice to finally have some closure.

travis9952

New

Post by travis9952 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:41 pm

Some of you will be happy to know that I will most likely be giving up my spot and attending Arizona State instead. I'll have made a final decision by Thursday.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Trying a JD 2012

New

Post by Trying a JD 2012 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:50 pm

So, I am just patiently waiting......

I would love to know if any of you who have been accepted will NOT be paying your first seat deposit tomorrow (I believe) and opening up a spot for me. :)

El_Gallo

Bronze

Post by El_Gallo » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:11 pm

Trying a JD 2012 wrote:So, I am just patiently waiting......

I would love to know if any of you who have been accepted will NOT be paying your first seat deposit tomorrow (I believe) and opening up a spot for me. :)
I was accepted to BYU, but decided to not attend law school this cycle. I never withdrew my application so hopefully my spot goes to somebody on TLS!

Trying a JD 2012

New

Post by Trying a JD 2012 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:29 pm

El_Gallo wrote:
Trying a JD 2012 wrote:So, I am just patiently waiting......

I was accepted to BYU, but decided to not attend law school this cycle. I never withdrew my application so hopefully my spot goes to somebody on TLS!
El Gallo, thank you for responding. :)

I have a question for those of who have been admitted or are current students. This week I got an email from a school (not BYU) that I applied to and was admitted at. It said that I had missed the deadline for the seat deposit which as April 1 and told me that they considered my application "no longer being considered for admission." (The email was at 12:01am on April 2 -- immediately after the deadline.) This is fine with me as I wasn't planning on going there. (I feel bad I forgot to withdraw.) I also spoke with a friend who said that they missed a seat deposit deadline at a different school (other than BYU and my example school) but were given a "reminder" and "an extension if necessary" to pay the seat deposit. I know the date for BYU's seat deposit is this week.

So, I wanted to know which way, if any, BYU acts. More like school #1more like #2. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

davidfett

New

Post by davidfett » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:46 pm

So I got waitlisted, no call, no ask for any more info. What're my odds of getting in? Also, do they generally let you know like right before classes start? That kinda sucks. I have plans I want to make, and dropping everything at the last minute is hard to do... 159 LSAT and 3.8GPA

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”