BYU 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Trying a JD 2012

New

Re: BYU 2012

Post by Trying a JD 2012 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:50 pm

asanborn wrote:
snd1988 wrote:29 people added to the BYU Law Admitted Students group over the weekend bringing the total to 38. So, you can assume that at least 38 students have been admitted with the bulk of the applications having gone through this past week.
Here's hoping that they start to send out a lot more decisions really soon because this is the last piece to my law school puzzle.
I emailed Dean Kuchar at the end of last week. I was told that I would receive a decision by April 15. Any ideas on what I am to do since I have due dates for seat deposits at other schools that are due by April 1 to April 6? Any suggestions?

jenkswarrior

New

Post by jenkswarrior » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:29 pm

I emailed Dean Kuchar at the end of last week. I was told that I would receive a decision by April 15. Any ideas on what I am to do since I have due dates for seat deposits at other schools that are due by April 1 to April 6? Any suggestions?
Wait until close to the deadline, put the deposit in at your top choice you've been accepted to, and if you still want to wait it out and see what happens at BYU you can. If you're accepted at BYU you'd lose the money you put down at the other school, but BYU's cheap enough that it would definitely be worth it if it's what you really want.

Trying a JD 2012

New

Post by Trying a JD 2012 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:56 am

jenkswarrior wrote:

Wait until close to the deadline, put the deposit in at your top choice you've been accepted to, and if you still want to wait it out and see what happens at BYU you can. If you're accepted at BYU you'd lose the money you put down at the other school, but BYU's cheap enough that it would definitely be worth it if it's what you really want.
That's what I was thinking of doing. Just not sure why the date is so late to let me know. I don't think I have the numbers to get in -- so not sure why I haven't been denied yet.

snd1988

New

Post by snd1988 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:12 pm

Trying a JD 2012 wrote:
jenkswarrior wrote:

That's what I was thinking of doing. Just not sure why the date is so late to let me know. I don't think I have the numbers to get in -- so not sure why I haven't been denied yet.
April 15th is the date the first seat deposit is due, so for students who didn't put down their deposit, other seats open up. I didn't really have "the numbers" either. So, don't fret too much.

jenkswarrior

New

Post by jenkswarrior » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:01 pm

There's some speculation on other boards that many schools are being slower in the admittance cycle this year because they know their ranking is going to really fluctuate in the upcoming US news and world report ranking. Maybe this is why BYU has released so few decisions thus far? What do y'all think?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

asanborn

New

Post by asanborn » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:08 pm

jenkswarrior wrote:There's some speculation on other boards that many schools are being slower in the admittance cycle this year because they know their ranking is going to really fluctuate in the upcoming US news and world report ranking. Maybe this is why BYU has released so few decisions thus far? What do y'all think?
So maybe it has just been an extremely long day at work but for some reason I'm not seeing how the US News rankings would afffect decisions. Care to enlighten me?

Trying a JD 2012

New

Post by Trying a JD 2012 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:23 pm

jenkswarrior wrote:There's some speculation on other boards that many schools are being slower in the admittance cycle this year because they know their ranking is going to really fluctuate in the upcoming US news and world report ranking. Maybe this is why BYU has released so few decisions thus far? What do y'all think?
I have heard and read this as well. It makes me nervous for some reason. I don't think I am going to be getting in to the Y. :( I will have to probably go with my other strong options. I could use some advice on those as well. If you want to give me your $0.02 -- feel free to PM me and I will share with you my options.

jenkswarrior

New

Post by jenkswarrior » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:52 pm

'
Last edited by jenkswarrior on Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Byuhopeful

New

Post by Byuhopeful » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:57 pm

Hey everyone, I have been reading this thread for the last few days and I just had a quick question. I received an email from Gaelynn asking me to come visit with Dean Hernandez next week to discuss my application. I'm assuming they wouldn't do that to just tell me I'm waitlisted or rejected. Or would they? Anyone know someone who was rejected in person?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

asanborn

New

Post by asanborn » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:03 am

Byuhopeful wrote:Hey everyone, I have been reading this thread for the last few days and I just had a quick question. I received an email from Gaelynn asking me to come visit with Dean Hernandez next week to discuss my application. I'm assuming they wouldn't do that to just tell me I'm waitlisted or rejected. Or would they? Anyone know someone who was rejected in person?
Don't really have any personal experience, but my guess is that if they are asking you to come in to meet with Dean Hernandez then he would not reject you. Wish I would get that email. I seent GaeLynn an email earlier this week asking for an estimated date since I have to let other schools know no later than April 2nd and would like to be able to fully consider every option. I basically got the stock answer of "we will have them out by April 15th, but hope to get them all done earlier."

Jcham

New

Post by Jcham » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:28 pm

asanborn wrote:
Byuhopeful wrote:Hey everyone, I have been reading this thread for the last few days and I just had a quick question. I received an email from Gaelynn asking me to come visit with Dean Hernandez next week to discuss my application. I'm assuming they wouldn't do that to just tell me I'm waitlisted or rejected. Or would they? Anyone know someone who was rejected in person?

I got that email as well. I'm talking with Dean Hernandez over the phone today (I don't live in Utah). From what I've been able to gather on here- it sounds like rejections are mailed and Dean Hernandez personally extends all the acceptances.
Here's hoping for us both!

bailar4life

New

Post by bailar4life » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:00 pm

If he is calling you, than most likely you have been accepted. He does extend acceptances through interviews and phone calls.

Byuhopeful

New

Post by Byuhopeful » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:44 pm

I hope you guys are right and it is always good news! Good luck jcham, let us know how the call goes! And asanborn, I hope you get an email soon.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jcham

New

Post by Jcham » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:29 pm

The phone call from Dean Hernandez was an acceptance offer! So you should be good to go too byuhopeful :) Good luck to everyone waiting!

Byuhopeful

New

Post by Byuhopeful » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:35 am

Congrats jcham!

austrascruff

New

Post by austrascruff » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:34 pm

Oh man! I just saw they extended their application deadline to March 20th.

bailar4life

New

Post by bailar4life » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:09 am

Congrats I was accepted . So I will see you guys soon..they did ask me to come in for an interview. I was super nervous. But it was to tell me I had been accepted.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Trying a JD 2012

New

Post by Trying a JD 2012 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:27 am

austrascruff wrote:Oh man! I just saw they extended their application deadline to March 20th.
Will that mean I have to wait longer than April 15th like they told me before? Also, wish I got a phone call to have a meeting there. I would for sure attend next year. So who in here is for sure attending BYU next year?

austrascruff

New

Post by austrascruff » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:11 pm

Trying a JD 2012 wrote:
austrascruff wrote:Oh man! I just saw they extended their application deadline to March 20th.
Will that mean I have to wait longer than April 15th like they told me before? Also, wish I got a phone call to have a meeting there. I would for sure attend next year. So who in here is for sure attending BYU next year?
I doubt that it will take longer than April 15th, but I was hoping for decisions by the end of March at the latest. I have to wonder if this will make the waiting last a little longer.

travis9952

New

Post by travis9952 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:09 pm

It's coming up on 5 months that BYU has had my application and I haven't heard anything from them. Does anyone have any insight into when they will be sending out more decisions?

bulldoglaw

New

Post by bulldoglaw » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:18 am

On a visit to Provo, my grandfather was at a BYU event where he met and chatted with a professor (not a law professor). My grandpa told him how I was still waiting to hear from the JRCL Admissions Committee, and the professor told him I should hear back by April 1st. He said the admissions committee was behind this year, but that the standard response for all graduate schools is typically by April 1st.

Oh, and if I'm admitted to BYU, my wife and I will be packing up everything and moving to Provo!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bombasty

New

Post by bombasty » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:47 pm

Did anyone else get the e-mail asking about your current interest in BYU? I'd like to think it's a good sign. But at least it means we'll get decisions by the end of the week.

Byuhopeful

New

Post by Byuhopeful » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:54 pm

So I haven't checked this forum for awhile. When I met with Dean Hernandez it was an offer of acceptance. I will definitely be attending. I hope everyone who is still waiting can hear back soon! Good luck guys.

sabenser

Bronze

Post by sabenser » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:12 pm

Congrats. We are getting wrapped up on the year here. Finals are in a couple weeks. All the 1Ls are pumped for the summer. The school has connections all over the world and the school subsidizes your airfare if you go international your 1L summer (for at least 5 weeks) so most of us are heading overseas. Good luck to those who are waiting.

cougarlive

Bronze

Post by cougarlive » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:08 pm

I wonder how much of their class they have filled. Any ideas? I'm guessing (read: hoping) its close to 20% and they still have a lot of seats for people like me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”