Temple 2011-2012 Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
loblaw016

New

Re: Temple 2011-2012 Cycle

Post by loblaw016 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:31 pm

chunkers24 wrote:So after the ASD, I am pretty sure I am attending Temple in the Fall. I, however, am not from Philly. So can anyone tell me what are some good areas to live in with a dog (he's pretty big)? I have heard that Fairmount is pretty nice. Is there anywhere else you would recommend?
i'm bringing my dog too! what kind do you have?

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:56 pm

Manayunk for sure is the place to be. It's a little pricey, but it's 1 stop on the express line to Temple by train, there is a dog park at my doorstep, and it's super safe (saying something about Philly area) Fairmount alright, but a bit boring. Can be dodgy at times. Manayunk is an acquired taste, and might take a bit to get used to it, especially if you aren't from an older city, but you'll love it.

Plus it's on an awesome bike trail. Just got done with a 12 mile bike ride all the way up the art museum and back.

grovevilleroad

New

Post by grovevilleroad » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:55 pm

chunkers24 wrote:So after the ASD, I am pretty sure I am attending Temple in the Fall. I, however, am not from Philly. So can anyone tell me what are some good areas to live in with a dog (he's pretty big)? I have heard that Fairmount is pretty nice. Is there anywhere else you would recommend?
I must object and say not to live in Manayunk, or at least not make it your first choice until you visit. It would be far away from school if you did not want to use public transportation (which is more expensive coming from Manayunk than in the city), driving would suck, and I feel that most of your entering classmates would live in the city somewhere, leaving you always a decent commute away. I also believe (not sure though) that the express from Manayunk to Temple only runs once during the day. Anyway. Manayunk is a really nice area and a great place to live if you don't mind being further away from school.

I think all (nice) areas of Philly are up for consideration really.

Just click on this link (which does not show Manayunk) ... http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... wAg&dur=36

Any neighborhood touching Market St., to the north or south, are going to be a little more pricey and will generally get cheaper as you travel further away. All areas are fine with having a dog, it is the landlord you need to consider. There are dog parks and regular parks throughout the city, some better than others. The dog park near me (11th and Lombard), is awesome.

There are nice areas and not so nice areas that will be within some of the neighborhoods. Example, Queens Village can be really nice, but some parts close to Washington Ave are not so much, similar situation in UCity.

My only suggestion is to NOT live in the area surrounding Temple.

Consider transportation (is the subway close, do I have a direct bus route, can I bike there?), cost, etc.

If you want something more detailed about areas you are considering or want to give me more specifics of what you are looking for in an area, feel free to PM me and I would be glad to help in anyway or post on here and I am sure people will be glad to chime in.

Also, this link has a bunch of neighborhoods, and when you click on them, they tell you a bit about the area :) ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ph ... ghborhoods

B986

Bronze

Post by B986 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:40 pm

As a general guideline, being close to Broad Street (the main north-south street running through Philly) will make Temple very accessible. As its name would suggest, the Broad Street Line subway runs along the Broad St. corridor. North of Vine and to the east is still somewhat "transitional," and the farther north you go, the worse the neighborhood gets. If you want to live south of City Hall, I would say to try to remain north of Christian. The farther south you go from Catherine or Christian, the less desirable the neighborhood gets (though much of South Philly is not nearly as bad as North Philly). With all of that said, Philly is very manageable and it would be difficult to find a place to live that would not be relatively convenient to Temple. I would personally recommend anywhere in Rittenhouse, Fairmount/Art Museum, Society Hill, Washington Square West, Old City, Grad Hospital, etc. I think Northern Liberties is still a wee bit iffy once you stray from the Piazza and vicinity. Hope this helps!
Last edited by B986 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B986

Bronze

Post by B986 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:47 pm

B986 wrote:
As a general guideline, being close to Broad Street (the main north-south street running through Philly) will make Temple very accessible. As its name would suggest, the Broad Street Line subway runs along the Broad St. corridor. North of Vine and to the east is still somewhat "transitional," and the farther north you go, the worse the neighborhood gets. If you want to live south of City Hall, I would say to try to remain north of Christian. The farther south you go, the less desirable the neighborhood gets (though much of South Philly is not nearly as bad as North Philly). With all of that said, Philly is very manageable and it would be difficult to find a place to live that would not be relatively convenient to Temple. I would personally recommend anywhere in Rittenhouse, Fairmount/Art Museum, Society Hill, Washington Square West, Old City, Grad Hospital, etc. I think Northern Liberties is still a wee bit iffy once you stray from the Piazza and vicinity. Hope this helps!
As an addition to my previous post, I should also mention that living a block or two east or west of Broad usually = nicer, quieter neighborhood than Broad itself.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chunkers24

New

Post by chunkers24 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:53 pm

Thanks so much for the advice! I am from NYC originally so would definitely be looking for somewhere within the city. I guess my only requirements are: safe neighborhood, park, restaurants and bars nearby. And to the person who asked what type of dog I have, he is a beagle/ hound puppy so he needs a TON of exercise.

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:00 pm

grovevilleroad wrote:
I must object and say not to live in Manayunk, or at least not make it your first choice until you visit. It would be far away from school if you did not want to use public transportation (which is more expensive coming from Manayunk than in the city), driving would suck, and I feel that most of your entering classmates would live in the city somewhere, leaving you always a decent commute away. I also believe (not sure though) that the express from Manayunk to Temple only runs once during the day. Anyway. Manayunk is a really nice area and a great place to live if you don't mind being further away from school.

I think all (nice) areas of Philly are up for consideration really.

Just click on this link (which does not show Manayunk) ... http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... wAg&dur=36

Any neighborhood touching Market St., to the north or south, are going to be a little more pricey and will generally get cheaper as you travel further away. All areas are fine with having a dog, it is the landlord you need to consider. There are dog parks and regular parks throughout the city, some better than others. The dog park near me (11th and Lombard), is awesome.

There are nice areas and not so nice areas that will be within some of the neighborhoods. Example, Queens Village can be really nice, but some parts close to Washington Ave are not so much, similar situation in UCity.

My only suggestion is to NOT live in the area surrounding Temple.

Consider transportation (is the subway close, do I have a direct bus route, can I bike there?), cost, etc.

If you want something more detailed about areas you are considering or want to give me more specifics of what you are looking for in an area, feel free to PM me and I would be glad to help in anyway or post on here and I am sure people will be glad to chime in.

Also, this link has a bunch of neighborhoods, and when you click on them, they tell you a bit about the area :) ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ph ... ghborhoods

I disagree. For something like $121 you can get a 2 zone pass for septa, and use that all the time. Plus great if you just want to go to Center City on the weekend. Cheaper than parking, and the morning express trains it's like 11 minutes to Temple. Don't catch the express and it's like 17 minutes (plus the way back) I live about a 3 minute walk to the station and basically can be from doorstep to temple station in 15 minutes with no delays.

I live in Manayunk, and driving from anywhere in the city is going to suck, especially in the morning.

DCMB

New

Post by DCMB » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:45 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:
I disagree. For something like $121 you can get a 2 zone pass for septa, and use that all the time. Plus great if you just want to go to Center City on the weekend. Cheaper than parking, and the morning express trains it's like 11 minutes to Temple. Don't catch the express and it's like 17 minutes (plus the way back) I live about a 3 minute walk to the station and basically can be from doorstep to temple station in 15 minutes with no delays.

I live in Manayunk, and driving from anywhere in the city is going to suck, especially in the morning.
I lived in Manayunk for three years. It's a nice place, but I feel it's in its own bubble removed from the rest of the city. If you're not careful you may find you don't leave the neighborhood much. I was a 30 second walk to the train station. Took the train in everyday for work, but other than that I never really ventured into the city. My main issue was with the train. I didn't really like having to always plan my life around the train schedule. During rush hour it isn't bad, but when it starts to run hourly it can be a bit of an inconvenience at times (especially the times when you just happen to miss it).

I tend to live my life on the fly though so maybe it's just me...

For the past three years I have lived in Fairmount. I definitely like it much better. Once you are in the city, it's very easy to go anywhere you want in it (as long as you know where you're going).

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:00 pm

I agree it can be it's own bubble, but I kind of like it. I also have a car, so if I really wanted to go to center city, I just go and park. Also what I do on late nights is just take the train in, and take a $25 cab ride home.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DCMB

New

Post by DCMB » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:24 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:I agree it can be it's own bubble, but I kind of like it. I also have a car, so if I really wanted to go to center city, I just go and park. Also what I do on late nights is just take the train in, and take a $25 cab ride home.
There are those options too. Very doable. Done both many times. As I said Manayunk is nice. I do recommend living there. It's probably one of the safest parts of the city. And for commuting to Temple it is a great location because of the train. I just prefer now being in Fairmount as I am able to roll out my front door and walk anywhere downtown on a whim.

I actually did have a car for most of the time I lived in Manayunk. That is until the city decided to tow it and ruin it in the process, but that's another story for another time...

soitgoes9

Bronze

Post by soitgoes9 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:56 pm

chunkers24 wrote:Thanks so much for the advice! I am from NYC originally so would definitely be looking for somewhere within the city. I guess my only requirements are: safe neighborhood, park, restaurants and bars nearby. And to the person who asked what type of dog I have, he is a beagle/ hound puppy so he needs a TON of exercise.
I will totally dog sit for you if you ever need it (I really miss having a dog but don't want to get one as a 1L).

On a vaguely related note. Passyunk could work, its a little far south but is a cool area, with a lot going on and has a dog park.

chunkers24

New

Post by chunkers24 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:59 am

soitgoes9 wrote:
chunkers24 wrote:Thanks so much for the advice! I am from NYC originally so would definitely be looking for somewhere within the city. I guess my only requirements are: safe neighborhood, park, restaurants and bars nearby. And to the person who asked what type of dog I have, he is a beagle/ hound puppy so he needs a TON of exercise.
I will totally dog sit for you if you ever need it (I really miss having a dog but don't want to get one as a 1L).

On a vaguely related note. Passyunk could work, its a little far south but is a cool area, with a lot going on and has a dog park.
Be Careful! I might take you up on your offer to dog sit.

soitgoes9

Bronze

Post by soitgoes9 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:20 am

[quote="chunkers24"][quote="soitgoes9"][quote="chunkers24"]
Be Careful! I might take you up on your offer to dog sit.[/quot

I'm totally willing!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:26 am

I've heard Manayunk is great, though I've yet to make it there since I've been at Temple. I would caution against living there only because most people at school seem to live at or near Center City. I live in Old City, which is fantastic, but even I sometimes regret not living a little closer to Rittenhouse, because most people like to congregate in that part of town. The folks I know in Manayunk love it, but do feel a little isolated.

soitgoes9

Bronze

Post by soitgoes9 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:37 am

Justathought wrote:I've heard Manayunk is great, though I've yet to make it there since I've been at Temple. I would caution against living there only because most people at school seem to live at or near Center City. I live in Old City, which is fantastic, but even I sometimes regret not living a little closer to Rittenhouse, because most people like to congregate in that part of town. The folks I know in Manayunk love it, but do feel a little isolated.
I really like old city. Does anyone live farther south? I would like to try to save some money on rent and like a lot of the areas.

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:41 am

soitgoes9 wrote:
Justathought wrote:I've heard Manayunk is great, though I've yet to make it there since I've been at Temple. I would caution against living there only because most people at school seem to live at or near Center City. I live in Old City, which is fantastic, but even I sometimes regret not living a little closer to Rittenhouse, because most people like to congregate in that part of town. The folks I know in Manayunk love it, but do feel a little isolated.
I really like old city. Does anyone live farther south? I would like to try to save some money on rent and like a lot of the areas.
Lots of people do live in South Philly (not south south, but like just north of Italian Market south) and do save on rent that way. You can still walk, take the broad street line, or taxi it up to CC with ease. I think its a great option.

chunkers24

New

Post by chunkers24 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:03 pm

Is anyone on here going to look for a roommate? I'm not from Philly and don't know anyone in the city so I was thinking about looking for a roommate for the first year. The only problem is I have a dog...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

loblaw016

New

Post by loblaw016 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:11 pm

this may be a bit of a stupid question, but what is the photo for that we have to send with our deposit? do they use it for our IDs?

also, anyone living with a significant other next year? if so, are you worried about surviving 1L with your relationship in tact?

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:53 pm

They don't use the photo for the ID card. You get that handled during orientation week. I really have no idea why they ask for that photo. My best guess would be that they like to have a stock image on hand, in case they need to publish your picture in one of the many Temple related periodicals. That being said, my photo is hilariously bad and I hope to never see it again.

Also, the relationship thing should be fine. I don't know anyone who has had significant relationship issues because of law school. In fact, two 1Ls in long term relationships got married this year (not to each other :mrgreen: )!

loblaw016

New

Post by loblaw016 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:14 pm

Justathought wrote:They don't use the photo for the ID card. You get that handled during orientation week. I really have no idea why they ask for that photo. My best guess would be that they like to have a stock image on hand, in case they need to publish your picture in one of the many Temple related periodicals. That being said, my photo is hilariously bad and I hope to never see it again.

Also, the relationship thing should be fine. I don't know anyone who has had significant relationship issues because of law school. In fact, two 1Ls in long term relationships got married this year (not to each other :mrgreen: )!
haha good to know. i've heard more horror stories than happy stories about relationships and my photo is funny, glad i got two, but i def don't want it publicized!

sumtimesuwonder

New

Post by sumtimesuwonder » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:48 pm

Just sent in my seat deposit today! Let the roommate/housing search begin

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

B986

Bronze

Post by B986 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:46 pm

In case anyone was curious, Temple says they will likely not know what next year's tuition will be until July. I'm really hoping Gov. Corbett cools his jets and stops hating higher education as a general policy. Would love for tuition to stay reasonable.

robocall12

New

Post by robocall12 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:23 pm

Is it possible to get in-state tuition at Temple after the first year? It seems like I heard that it is pretty easy, but that might have been at Pitt. This would be key to my decision. And I do hope the Penn government keeps tuition low. Temple is a killer deal even at sticker for in-state people.

LAFish

Bronze

Post by LAFish » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:25 pm

Mailing my seat deposit in tomorrow morning. Pumped. Let the roommate and apartment search begin!

I think I read somewhere a while ago that establishing residency was a bit harder to do at Temple than at Pitt.

loblaw016

New

Post by loblaw016 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:02 am

anyone else apply for the Ingerman or Rubin-Presser scholarships?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”