U of Miami 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rglifberg

Bronze

Re: U of Miami 2015

Post by rglifberg » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:22 pm

MichNole19 wrote:
rglifberg wrote:I just got wait-listed at the U, keep withdrawing people! LOL, how does the wait-list process work? Should I send in another letter of recommendation?

Just withdrew this morning, good luck!
Thanks!!

elusiventity

New

Post by elusiventity » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:54 pm

Long time snooper and first time poster. Hi all! Congrats to all that were accepted and best of luck to those on the WL. UM is at the top of my list presently and with just a couple of weeks until seat deposits are due, I think that this will be where I will go to school. However, I do think I am going to try to defer. Given the economics of such a decision, I feel I should take the next year to save more money and attempt to secure scholarship money.

NoleGirl12

New

Post by NoleGirl12 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:56 pm

Withdrew yesterday with 27000/year in scholarships. GL everyone!

elusiventity

New

Post by elusiventity » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:05 pm

I really wish that UM was in the habit of reallocating scholarship money turned down to entering 1L's. However, it was mentioned at ASD that they put that money into another account and hand it out to deserving 2L's that were not awarded scholarship money the year before. ANyhow, GL.

NoleGirl12

New

Post by NoleGirl12 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:18 pm

elusiventity wrote:I really wish that UM was in the habit of reallocating scholarship money turned down to entering 1L's. However, it was mentioned at ASD that they put that money into another account and hand it out to deserving 2L's that were not awarded scholarship money the year before. ANyhow, GL.
That's a horrible system in my opinion. But maybe that's just because every other school that I've encountered does it the opposite way!

GL to you and everyone else on here!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cass1230

New

Post by cass1230 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:08 am

NoleGirl12 wrote:
elusiventity wrote:I really wish that UM was in the habit of reallocating scholarship money turned down to entering 1L's. However, it was mentioned at ASD that they put that money into another account and hand it out to deserving 2L's that were not awarded scholarship money the year before. ANyhow, GL.
That's a horrible system in my opinion. But maybe that's just because every other school that I've encountered does it the opposite way!

at ASD I heard this question, but it didn't go like that when they asked Dean White....the student asked what happens if you lose your scholarship due to a stip and she said that if you lose it the money goes into a pool for the 2Ls who didnt get scholarships the first year (which means it would go to the same class since after you lose it you'd be a 2L)...did your tour guide say something different?

rglifberg

Bronze

Post by rglifberg » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:53 am

Keep withdrawing!

elusiventity

New

Post by elusiventity » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:34 pm

cass1230 wrote:
NoleGirl12 wrote:

at ASD I heard this question, but it didn't go like that when they asked Dean White....the student asked what happens if you lose your scholarship due to a stip and she said that if you lose it the money goes into a pool for the 2Ls who didnt get scholarships the first year (which means it would go to the same class since after you lose it you'd be a 2L)...did your tour guide say something different?[/quote

That was what Dean White said and I didn't hear anything else from my tour guide. I'm just making this assumption based on what the financial aid office has said about not giving out anymore scholarships in the coming weeks. I'm putting the pieces together, but it may be a wrong assumption.

cass1230

New

Post by cass1230 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:06 pm

elusiventity wrote:
cass1230 wrote:
NoleGirl12 wrote:

at ASD I heard this question, but it didn't go like that when they asked Dean White....the student asked what happens if you lose your scholarship due to a stip and she said that if you lose it the money goes into a pool for the 2Ls who didnt get scholarships the first year (which means it would go to the same class since after you lose it you'd be a 2L)...did your tour guide say something different?[/quote

That was what Dean White said and I didn't hear anything else from my tour guide. I'm just making this assumption based on what the financial aid office has said about not giving out anymore scholarships in the coming weeks. I'm putting the pieces together, but it may be a wrong assumption.
sadly most schools offer more than they have expecting some students to withdraw...hopefully more than usual do and they offer more scholarships :D i called fin aid in regards to schollys and asked why some students got a 2k increase instead of offering more and they said those already gave deposits so maybe that will help :/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:09 pm

Just paid my deposit yesterday... can't wait to move down!! way, waaaaaaaaay down lol

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:21 pm

cass1230, did you get any awesome SWAG at ASD?

Prospect

New

Post by Prospect » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:46 pm

MTBike wrote:cass1230, did you get any awesome SWAG at ASD?

T-shirt (which I'm currently wearing), and some pens. Nothing else other than information packets. I've just sent out an e-mail to finaid trying to negotiate a scholarship, has anyone had any luck?

MissMock

New

Post by MissMock » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:00 pm

Prospect wrote:

T-shirt (which I'm currently wearing), and some pens. Nothing else other than information packets. I've just sent out an e-mail to finaid trying to negotiate a scholarship, has anyone had any luck?
Not really. Tried twice. First was a generic no that was obviously sent out to everybody who requested. It included links about why Miami is so great, Dean White, etc. I replied with an additional acceptance and got a personalized response saying "theoretically" there could be more money available after April 1 once students withdraw, which is contrary to what above posters have said about the excess money going to 2L's.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Prospect

New

Post by Prospect » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:50 pm

MissMock wrote:
Prospect wrote:

Not really. Tried twice. First was a generic no that was obviously sent out to everybody who requested. It included links about why Miami is so great, Dean White, etc. I replied with an additional acceptance and got a personalized response saying "theoretically" there could be more money available after April 1 once students withdraw, which is contrary to what above posters have said about the excess money going to 2L's.
It is my understanding that Dean White actually was referencing the money lost after the first year and THAT money goes into a pool to reward successful 2L's who may not be on a scholly. I think the above poster misinterpreted that statement and thought it applied to those scholarships that are being declined. Lets hope so anyways.

paradox

New

Post by paradox » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:53 pm

Below is a link to the invitation used during the Dean's search which eventually lead to Dean Patricia White's hiring as UMiami's Dean.

I have posted the notice because it contains flattering information regarding the University of Miami and its School of Law.

LINK:
http://www.discourse.net/2009/01/admit_ ... _dean.html

Dream Machine

Bronze

Post by Dream Machine » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:50 am

I have been really impressed with UM so far, and I have heard great things, and the money they have offered me is tempting. But, is anyone taking any stock in the class action suit, the one in which former students are suing their respective law schools, having plaintiffs/students from UM added and UM being included in the suit? Is this something to be concerned about in choosing a law school? Or would everyone rather talk about the awesome t-shirts that they got at ASD, and not the fact that the school is being sued for fraud?
Last edited by Dream Machine on Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cass1230

New

Post by cass1230 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:15 pm

Dream Machine wrote:I have been really impressed with UM so far, and I have heard great things, and the money they have offered me is tempting. But, is anyone taking any stock in the class action suit, the one in which former students are suing their respective law schools, having plaintiffs/students from UM added and UM being included in the suit? Is this something to be concerned about in choosing a law school? Or would everyone rather talk about the awesome t-shirts that they got at ASD, and not the fact that the school is being sued for fraud?
My tour guide mentioned this at ASD as being an issue in the way they were required to calculate and report the percentage therefore not accurate and giving a lot of false hope...a lot of schools are involved in this suit so i'm not sure what's going to happen

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dream Machine

Bronze

Post by Dream Machine » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:26 pm

cass1230 wrote:
Dream Machine wrote:I have been really impressed with UM so far, and I have heard great things, and the money they have offered me is tempting. But, is anyone taking any stock in the class action suit, the one in which former students are suing their respective law schools, having plaintiffs/students from UM added and UM being included in the suit? Is this something to be concerned about in choosing a law school? Or would everyone rather talk about the awesome t-shirts that they got at ASD, and not the fact that the school is being sued for fraud?
My tour guide mentioned this at ASD as being an issue in the way they were required to calculate and report the percentage therefore not accurate and giving a lot of false hope...a lot of schools are involved in this suit so i'm not sure what's going to happen
Ugh! Seems like kind of a vague/stock answer...And I have a little over 24 hours to decide whether or not to accept my scholarship. This is a tough decision. I was going to withdraw a while back and then decided not to because they offered me a little more money. Then I started SERIOUSLY considering UM...and then the story regarding the class action broke. Damn it...

cass1230

New

Post by cass1230 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:29 pm

Dream Machine wrote:
cass1230 wrote:
Ugh! Seems like kind of a vague/stock answer...And I have a little over 24 hours to decide whether or not to accept my scholarship. This is a tough decision. I was going to withdraw a while back and then decided not to because they offered me a little more money. Then I started SERIOUSLY considering UM...and then the story regarding the class action broke. Damn it...
Don't accept and write a letter saying how you want the funds reallocated to me :D No, but seriously, read into the class action I don't think it will hurt your future might just hurt UM's reporting system

Dream Machine

Bronze

Post by Dream Machine » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:37 pm

cass1230 wrote:
Dream Machine wrote:
cass1230 wrote:
Don't accept and write a letter saying how you want the funds reallocated to me :D No, but seriously, read into the class action I don't think it will hurt your future might just hurt UM's reporting system
Dear University of Miami School of Law Board of Trustess,

I would like to withdraw my application have my merit-based aid reallocated to TLS-poster cass1230.

On a more serious note, I'll probably we withdrawing soon (not because of the class action suit or whatever, for other reasons). Hopefully someone gets the money/it helps someone out.
Last edited by Dream Machine on Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:37 pm

cass1230 wrote:
Dream Machine wrote:
cass1230 wrote:
Agreed.... seems like an issue that most law schools are facing, not really a huge deal. It's just going to change the way data is reported

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dream Machine

Bronze

Post by Dream Machine » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:42 pm

My tour guide mentioned this at ASD as being an issue in the way they were required to calculate and report the percentage therefore not accurate and giving a lot of false hope...a lot of schools are involved in this suit so i'm not sure what's going to happen[/quote]

Ugh! Seems like kind of a vague/stock answer...And I have a little over 24 hours to decide whether or not to accept my scholarship. This is a tough decision. I was going to withdraw a while back and then decided not to because they offered me a little more money. Then I started SERIOUSLY considering UM...and then the story regarding the class action broke. Damn it...[/quote]

Don't accept and write a letter saying how you want the funds reallocated to me :D No, but seriously, read into the class action I don't think it will hurt your future might just hurt UM's reporting system[/quote]
Agreed.... seems like an issue that most law schools are facing, not really a huge deal. It's just going to change the way data is reported[/quote]

Your probably right.

cass1230

New

Post by cass1230 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:43 pm

Dream Machine wrote:
Dear University of Miami School of Law Board of Trustess,

I would like to withdraw my application have my merit-based aid reallocated to TLS-poster cass1230.

On a more serious note, I'll probably we withdrawing soon (not because of the class action suit or whatever, for other reasons). Hopefully someone gets the money/it helps someone out.
PERFECT! Well regardless, good luck on whatever you choose.

HabeusAwesomus

New

Post by HabeusAwesomus » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:31 pm

Hi all! Accepted today!!!

I know I'm a little late to the party, but was I correct in reading somewhere that scholarship money is tapped out for the year?

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:33 pm

HabeusAwesomus wrote:Hi all! Accepted today!!!

I know I'm a little late to the party, but was I correct in reading somewhere that scholarship money is tapped out for the year?
Correct. It's a sad story, but it is what it is.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”