Nebraska 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DocHawkeye

Silver

Re: Nebraska 2012

Post by DocHawkeye » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:54 pm

champion_for_justice wrote:Went UR today. Hoping to get a decision soon! It's amazing how slowly time moves these days...
Good luck! Nebraska 1L here if you have questions.

ravenw

New

Post by ravenw » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:52 am

Complete on 2/15, UR on 2/17 and got AD on 2/24. Quite a fast reply and I'm even shocked..
Anyway it's my first AD and makes me feel quite better TAT

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:45 am

ravenw wrote:Complete on 2/15, UR on 2/17 and got AD on 2/24. Quite a fast reply and I'm even shocked..
Anyway it's my first AD and makes me feel quite better TAT
Congratulations!

YankeeFan2

Bronze

Post by YankeeFan2 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:59 pm

Nebraska is still on my list.....although I have contacted them about scholarship (since I didn't get one) but have scholarships from peer and higher schools. I haven't ruled it out -- but Nebraska at sticker is just a no go for me. Any suggestions about negotiating money?

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:17 pm

YankeeFan2 wrote:Nebraska is still on my list.....although I have contacted them about scholarship (since I didn't get one) but have scholarships from peer and higher schools. I haven't ruled it out -- but Nebraska at sticker is just a no go for me. Any suggestions about negotiating money?
I don't have any specific advice but I can offer some insight in what's going on. I was chatting with Beki Colberg this morning on my way to class and she assures me that she is working as fast as she can. Admission is in a bit of a state of flux right now. Dean Kluver, associate dean of admissions, took another position earlier this academic year and the associate director of career services has been promoted to associate dean of admissions. In the mean time, she continues to work in career services and Dean Pierce, assistant dean of students has been acting as dean of admissions, so if things seems to be moving a bit slowly, this is why. Even so, Nebraska is a great school and I'm glad to be here. If you have questions, please let me know and I will answer as well as I can.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

YankeeFan2

Bronze

Post by YankeeFan2 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:22 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
YankeeFan2 wrote:Nebraska is still on my list.....although I have contacted them about scholarship (since I didn't get one) but have scholarships from peer and higher schools. I haven't ruled it out -- but Nebraska at sticker is just a no go for me. Any suggestions about negotiating money?
I don't have any specific advice but I can offer some insight in what's going on. I was chatting with Beki Colberg this morning on my way to class and she assures me that she is working as fast as she can. Admission is in a bit of a state of flux right now. Dean Kluver, associate dean of admissions, took another position earlier this academic year and the associate director of career services has been promoted to associate dean of admissions. In the mean time, she continues to work in career services and Dean Pierce, assistant dean of students has been acting as dean of admissions, so if things seems to be moving a bit slowly, this is why. Even so, Nebraska is a great school and I'm glad to be here. If you have questions, please let me know and I will answer as well as I can.
So is Dean Kluver still at UNL? Also, who should I try to work my scholarship questions through?

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:23 pm

YankeeFan2 wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:
So is Dean Kluver still at UNL? Also, who should I try to work my scholarship questions through?
To be honest, I don't know if Dean Kluver is still at UNL. I would either start with Beki Colberg or whoever signed your admissions letter (Dean [Glenda] Pierce?).

ineptimusprime

Bronze

Post by ineptimusprime » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:24 am

I can confirm that Dean Kluver is no longer at Nebraska. I visited in January a few days after he left and they explained the whole situation situation to me. He took a position as dean of admissions over a whole college somewhere in the south... UAB, I think.

Yankee, you are aware you can get in-state if your spouse works, right? That makes Nebraska pretty cheap. I had similar questions on who to approach about scholarships too. The correct answer is Dean Pierce. If you need info, PM me

CaptainJack

New

Post by CaptainJack » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:22 am

Wrong forum but UNL doesn't get much run anywhere else. Anybody planning on ASW next weekend?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LAFish

Bronze

Post by LAFish » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:18 pm

It's too bad that Dean Kluver left. I had the chance to chat with him over winter break and he was one of the only admission administrators that I felt was very genuine with me about the school, job prospects, employment, etc. But the turmoil does explain why after I emailed admissions saying I was withdrawing my admission, the next day I got my scholarship bumped $7,000 more per year to $17,000/year. Weird stuff.

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:48 pm

LAFish wrote:It's too bad that Dean Kluver left. I had the chance to chat with him over winter break and he was one of the only admission administrators that I felt was very genuine with me about the school, job prospects, employment, etc. But the turmoil does explain why after I emailed admissions saying I was withdrawing my admission, the next day I got my scholarship bumped $7,000 more per year to $17,000/year. Weird stuff.
Keep in mind that law schools apps are down more than 10% nationwide this cycle. It is becoming a buyer's market with regard to law school admissions and schools are going to have to compete hard for the best candidates.

ineptimusprime

Bronze

Post by ineptimusprime » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:40 pm

[quote="DocHawkeye"]
Keep in mind that law schools apps are down more than 10% nationwide this cycle. It is becoming a buyer's market with regard to law school admissions and schools are going to have to compete hard for the best candidates.[/quote]

I've noticed that this is true for pretty much everyone but me. I REALLY wish I would have slacked off in school, finished with like a 3.0-3.2 and spent time studying for the LSAT instead. Graduating magna cum laude and wasted time on internships arr my biggest regrets.

jlaw19

New

Post by jlaw19 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:18 pm

I have to say on my prosepctive student visit, the admin staff was pretty down to earth and did not attempt to sugar coat any answers they gave. I asked a fair amount about job prospects and employment out of state upon graduation. That being said, really enjoyed the school. The class I attended outmatched the other schools I've visited so far. The professor was somewhat intense, but not too much (contracts 1L class). Library was great, students were professional, and Lincoln has always been a fun city to be in. Ill be going to ASW next friday, hopefully narrowing down in my mind where to go. Nebraska is right at the top.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:42 pm

jlaw19 wrote:I have to say on my prosepctive student visit, the admin staff was pretty down to earth and did not attempt to sugar coat any answers they gave. I asked a fair amount about job prospects and employment out of state upon graduation. That being said, really enjoyed the school. The class I attended outmatched the other schools I've visited so far. The professor was somewhat intense, but not too much (contracts 1L class). Library was great, students were professional, and Lincoln has always been a fun city to be in. Ill be going to ASW next friday, hopefully narrowing down in my mind where to go. Nebraska is right at the top.
I'm curious what admissions had to say about employment. It seems to me that prospects are better here than in a lot of other places, especially if you're not after Nebraska's version of "BigLaw." Do you recall the name of the professor whose contracts calss you sat in on? The library is spectacular, really - the collection isn't the world's largest, but to be honest I've used all of about three actual books since I got here (most of my research has been done through an online database called WestLaw), but it is great place to study, especially on the couches in the front by the statue of Roscoe Pound.

YankeeFan2

Bronze

Post by YankeeFan2 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:30 pm

YankeeFan2 wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:
Well, I got a scholarship letter today. $10K/yr. Kind of feels like too little too late for me -- will be withdrawing this week.

ineptimusprime

Bronze

Post by ineptimusprime » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:02 am

YankeeFan2 wrote: Well, I got a scholarship letter today. $10K/yr. Kind of feels like too little too late for me -- will be withdrawing this week.
They should have given it to me:) I would have taken them up on it. As it stands I'm leaning towards Texas Tech. Props for being classy and withdrawing.

dbrown89

New

Post by dbrown89 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:22 am

Initial Review Complete today at UNL. The status checker says that more time is needed before they render a decision.... :( then it says "This decision could be made as early as mid-January and as late as early March". But it is early March. Does anyone else have this message in their status checker as well?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ineptimusprime

Bronze

Post by ineptimusprime » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:48 pm

dbrown89 wrote:Initial Review Complete today at UNL. The status checker says that more time is needed before they render a decision.... :( then it says "This decision could be made as early as mid-January and as late as early March". But it is early March. Does anyone else have this message in their status checker as well?
This happened to me last year in January. I was later WL in March. I think it's basically a soft WL. I'll probably be withdrawing this week, so I hope my seat goes to you!

For anyone that cares, my plan is to put a seat deposit down at Texas Tech or KU (if I get in) and ride out the WL at Utah. Good luck to everyone going to UNL. It was tough to eliminate UNL -- they were my number one going into the cycle.

wobwob

New

Post by wobwob » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:37 am

dbrown89 wrote:Initial Review Complete today at UNL. The status checker says that more time is needed before they render a decision.... :( then it says "This decision could be made as early as mid-January and as late as early March". But it is early March. Does anyone else have this message in their status checker as well?

Got that about a month ago.

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:55 am

Most OOS applicant get deferred initially - its a form of yeild protect, believe it or not, since the yield is low on OOS applicants. The class of 2014 is nearly 2/3 Nebraskans. I ended up getting deferred (originally from Iowa) but got in with a 1/3 tution scholarship after allw as said and done.

dbrown89

New

Post by dbrown89 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:47 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
This happened to me last year in January. I was later WL in March. I think it's basically a soft WL. I'll probably be withdrawing this week, so I hope my seat goes to you!

For anyone that cares, my plan is to put a seat deposit down at Texas Tech or KU (if I get in) and ride out the WL at Utah. Good luck to everyone going to UNL. It was tough to eliminate UNL -- they were my number one going into the cycle.
Congrats on the acceptance to Texas Tech and KU. Hopefully it will open a spot up for me :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dbrown89

New

Post by dbrown89 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:50 am

DocHawkeye wrote:Most OOS applicant get deferred initially - its a form of yeild protect, believe it or not, since the yield is low on OOS applicants. The class of 2014 is nearly 2/3 Nebraskans. I ended up getting deferred (originally from Iowa) but got in with a 1/3 tution scholarship after allw as said and done.
Hmmm. I am not an OOS applicant. I'm actually from Lincoln. I did notice that when my information was initially added into the status checker they had me as an OOS applicant. But when they began the initial review it changed.

ineptimusprime

Bronze

Post by ineptimusprime » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:24 pm

I just withdrew, and will be attending KU barring an acceptance off the WL at Utah.

I'm hoping my spot goes to one of you guys that have been deferred! Good luck everyone!

dbrown89

New

Post by dbrown89 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:53 am

Just got WL at UNL. I guess I'm happy I wasn't rejected because my numbers are lower than their medians. :/

eagles123

New

Post by eagles123 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:41 pm

@DocHawkeye
I'll be attending UNL in the fall. Want to live near the College of Law, any recommendations as where to live? The girl who gave me the tour recommended Lionsgate and Tanglewood. They are a little pricey, however. Do you have any other recommendations? Anything you've heard about other complexes?

Thanks. You can PM as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”