CU-Boulder Applicants Class of 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
luuma

Bronze

Re: CU-Boulder Applicants Class of 2015

Post by luuma » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:58 pm

I've been in since April 6, but I am wondering how long till they let me know my financial package? My EFC is 0, and I was wondering what loans, etc I could be offered. They just sent me a letter saying I was accepted but nothing else. Does that mean I'd be facing out of state sticker price? Yikes. :( Or do they mail you with follow up info after?

tmack002

New

Post by tmack002 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:14 pm

luuma wrote:I've been in since April 6, but I am wondering how long till they let me know my financial package? My EFC is 0, and I was wondering what loans, etc I could be offered. They just sent me a letter saying I was accepted but nothing else. Does that mean I'd be facing out of state sticker price? Yikes. :( Or do they mail you with follow up info after?
I got in on the same date and have yet to receive any scholarship information. However, based on reading through previous posts it seems like they typically send out that info a couple weeks after the acceptance letter.

Mayhem19

New

Post by Mayhem19 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:37 pm

tmack002 wrote:
luuma wrote:I've been in since April 6, but I am wondering how long till they let me know my financial package? My EFC is 0, and I was wondering what loans, etc I could be offered. They just sent me a letter saying I was accepted but nothing else. Does that mean I'd be facing out of state sticker price? Yikes. :( Or do they mail you with follow up info after?
I got in on the same date and have yet to receive any scholarship information. However, based on reading through previous posts it seems like they typically send out that info a couple weeks after the acceptance letter.
I don't really know if they have a system, really. I emailed Dean Jackson over a month ago (March 15ish--I got in about two months ago, 2/18), asking when I might expect a scholarship if I'm deemed worthy of one, and I didn't hear a response until today, saying that at this time they do not have funds for additional scholarships. They would reevaluate after the first seat deposit deadline (4/20...) and then probably offer some more based on how many admitteds turn the school down. But I wouldn't think all that much money will open up, to be honest. Kind of disappointing it took so long for me to hear anything, but glad I got a response eventually.

luuma

Bronze

Post by luuma » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:57 pm

Mayhem19 wrote: I don't really know if they have a system, really. I emailed Dean Jackson over a month ago (March 15ish--I got in about two months ago, 2/18), asking when I might expect a scholarship if I'm deemed worthy of one, and I didn't hear a response until today, saying that at this time they do not have funds for additional scholarships. They would reevaluate after the first seat deposit deadline (4/20...) and then probably offer some more based on how many admitteds turn the school down. But I wouldn't think all that much money will open up, to be honest. Kind of disappointing it took so long for me to hear anything, but glad I got a response eventually.
Wow. This is a huge disappointment. I also emailed them about 4 days ago and have not gotten a response. I would love to go to Boulder, it was at the top of my list. But with a 50% employment rate after graduation, I don't know if 150k in loans is a wise investment at ALL. Especially for a school that does not answer my emails and their phone system has been down. I got another acceptance package today filled with tons of information. An entire packet, yet for this school I simply received one sheet saying congratulations, telling me when the deposit is due and that ASW was in 3 days... :? Not to be ungrateful because this is a tremendous honor and great news for me... But I'm slightly insulted.

legallybrandt

New

Post by legallybrandt » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:09 pm

Does anyone know how the updating of the website occurs? I'm still showing as incomplete on the website, but I've called and they say I've been complete for about a month now. I'm being to worry that I may not be reviewed by the admissions committee prior to the first seat deadline.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

robocall12

New

Post by robocall12 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:49 am

legallybrandt wrote:Does anyone know how the updating of the website occurs? I'm still showing as incomplete on the website, but I've called and they say I've been complete for about a month now. I'm being to worry that I may not be reviewed by the admissions committee prior to the first seat deadline.
I sat on incomplete for about 5 weeks, then I got a decision (waitlist) in about another week.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:38 am

luuma wrote:Wow. This is a huge disappointment. I also emailed them about 4 days ago and have not gotten a response. I would love to go to Boulder, it was at the top of my list. But with a 50% employment rate after graduation, I don't know if 150k in loans is a wise investment at ALL. Especially for a school that does not answer my emails and their phone system has been down. I got another acceptance package today filled with tons of information. An entire packet, yet for this school I simply received one sheet saying congratulations, telling me when the deposit is due and that ASW was in 3 days... :? Not to be ungrateful because this is a tremendous honor and great news for me... But I'm slightly insulted.
I emailed about $$$ Friday AM... Mrs. BVest and I are trying to make plans for moving and her getting a job. Haven't heard back. With April 20 for my deposit, I'm eager to hear something..

legallybrandt wrote:Does anyone know how the updating of the website occurs? I'm still showing as incomplete on the website, but I've called and they say I've been complete for about a month now. I'm being to worry that I may not be reviewed by the admissions committee prior to the first seat deadline.
I went from incomplete to complete on 3/28, with decision rendered on 3/29. (Application submitted early to mid-Feb).
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:03 am

luuma wrote:
Mayhem19 wrote: I don't really know if they have a system, really. I emailed Dean Jackson over a month ago (March 15ish--I got in about two months ago, 2/18), asking when I might expect a scholarship if I'm deemed worthy of one, and I didn't hear a response until today, saying that at this time they do not have funds for additional scholarships. They would reevaluate after the first seat deposit deadline (4/20...) and then probably offer some more based on how many admitteds turn the school down. But I wouldn't think all that much money will open up, to be honest. Kind of disappointing it took so long for me to hear anything, but glad I got a response eventually.
Wow. This is a huge disappointment. I also emailed them about 4 days ago and have not gotten a response. I would love to go to Boulder, it was at the top of my list. But with a 50% employment rate after graduation, I don't know if 150k in loans is a wise investment at ALL. Especially for a school that does not answer my emails and their phone system has been down. I got another acceptance package today filled with tons of information. An entire packet, yet for this school I simply received one sheet saying congratulations, telling me when the deposit is due and that ASW was in 3 days... :? Not to be ungrateful because this is a tremendous honor and great news for me... But I'm slightly insulted.
Pretty shocking. This would make anyone feel like crap.

I passed this along the channels for whatever its worth. Hope they get caught up and start communicating better down there..

hadisious

Bronze

Post by hadisious » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:00 pm

I'm in the same bout having recently been accepting and am curious about scholarship with deposit deadlines looming. Everyone please update should you hear back from CU about pending $$. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:10 pm

Last year lots of money went out after the first deposit deadline. I think that is pretty common for a lot of schools.

If you really want to go, often people say the bets bet is to send a letter saying something to the extent of "if accepted with a 12/4/4 scholarship (or whatevs), I will withdraw my other applications and submit both seat deposits to CU-Boulder."

I don't know what to do, but I do see how pressured they are to admit people who are actually going to attend.

luuma

Bronze

Post by luuma » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:32 pm

Sure but that doesn't mean you can't respond to an email. I've emailed admissions more than once, among others from the admissions/financial aid office at CU and have not gotten a single response... Oh the uncertainty.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:39 pm

I got a reply to my email today. Not exactly a helpful one (talked about process for scholarships and failed to address my particular status in any way). Ho hum.

(Actually, I also got an email yesterday, but it was from a professor discussing the strengths of CU Law and not a response to my previous email).
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:04 pm

My status still says Incomplete. I called them and they basically said, "Yep. We'll get to you. Take care. Bye."

Insane. I'm going to withdraw at the end of the week.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gobuffs10

Bronze

Post by gobuffs10 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:39 pm

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:My status still says Incomplete. I called them and they basically said, "Yep. We'll get to you. Take care. Bye."

Insane. I'm going to withdraw at the end of the week.
They were similarly curt with me, and that was back in February. I did part of my UG there, and most of the school's staff seems to be slightly on the unhelpful side.

Anyway, 163/2.7, CO resident, and I got rejected within a month of applying. Good luck to all of you. Boulder is wonderful.

luuma

Bronze

Post by luuma » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:40 am

Wow see responses such as the last two, make me question the schools efficiency. Admissions office should be on their toes, because they reflect a certain image of the school to prospective students. If their admissions office is lacking this severely is this a precursor to what the rest of the law school's efficiency could be like?

NYDCKid2014

New

Post by NYDCKid2014 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:37 am

Just withdrew from CU- I got no scholarships and was not really into the school when I went to visit. Good luck to those on the WL!

holden147

Bronze

Post by holden147 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:24 am

For what it's worth, at the ASW they said that the financial aid package would be out in a couple weeks. Which means it will be out after the seat deposit deadline. Their max need-based grant is $1,000. That is not a typo. So if you are super poor and haven't received merit aid, you'll essentially have to pay the full amount minus $1,000 per year.

General Reply:

I loved the campus, but I no way think it is wise for anyone to pay sticker to attend. A $150,000 bet on a 50% employment rate where the median salary is $55,000 is not worth it IMO. You're better off taking a year off and re-taking the LSAT or just finding a different job. Just my opinion.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

adika86

New

Post by adika86 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:39 am

Withdrew today. Hopefully that'll open up scholarship opportunity for some of you.

Best of luck!

holden147

Bronze

Post by holden147 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:42 am

I officially withdrew today so I hope my scholarship funds go to someone here that chooses to attend CU. Best of luck all.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:45 am

holden147 wrote:
For what it's worth, at the ASW they said that the financial aid package would be out in a couple weeks. Which means it will be out after the seat deposit deadline. Their max need-based grant is $1,000. That is not a typo. So if you are super poor and haven't received merit aid, you'll essentially have to pay the full amount minus $1,000 per year.

General Reply:

I loved the campus, but I no way think it is wise for anyone to pay sticker to attend. A $150,000 bet on a 50% employment rate where the median salary is $55,000 is not worth it IMO. You're better off taking a year off and re-taking the LSAT or just finding a different job. Just my opinion.

I agree with it not being a "wise" decision to attend CU without scholarship (or rich parents..). However, the employment rate isn't that bad, although I do think your median salary is right on. It was 57% at graduation last year, with 31% "not looking." It was then 82.5% at nine months, with 10% not looking. This year it has been published at 88%, no idea how many aren't looking for work.

But yeah, going in 150k debt to start off at 55k is not wise, and I can concur that the average student here is working for government or a small,five-eight lawyer gig, where the starting salaries are between 50k-60k. I do work for a small firm now and at least at this firm the salary advancement is pretty good: I think the youngest associate is three years out and she makes around 90k. Problem is she is getting married/wanting to buy a house-- the salaries go up but the debt doesn't necessarily go down. Turns out life after law school is expensive as well.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:50 am

luuma wrote:Wow see responses such as the last two, make me question the schools efficiency. Admissions office should be on their toes, because they reflect a certain image of the school to prospective students. If their admissions office is lacking this severely is this a precursor to what the rest of the law school's efficiency could be like?
This is embarrassing and I can tell you that it was the same last year. You're right, it doesn't reflect well on the school.

I can tell you that in fact that the other offices at CU are on the ball, but you'd have to take my word for that because your experience with the admissions office wouldn't suggest that at all.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mayhem19

New

Post by Mayhem19 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:06 pm

Withdrew yesterday as well. I'll be down the road at DU next year, with scholly. Best of luck to those on the WL! I was on it as well for a couple weeks, so I know how it feels.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:25 pm

So today is the day for my deposit. I've drafted an email requesting an extension while they continue considering merit $ and stating that I'll simply have to let the deadline pass if I don't have on. Any thoughts on whether I should press send?

(In at SMU with money and already deposited... plus Mrs BVest is already Texas-licensed, though long enough she could waive into CO)
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

hadisious

Bronze

Post by hadisious » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:40 am

BVest wrote:So today is the day for my deposit. I've drafted an email requesting an extension while they continue considering merit $ and stating that I'll simply have to let the deadline pass if I don't have on. Any thoughts on whether I should press send?

(In at SMU with money and already deposited... plus Mrs BVest is already Texas-licensed, though long enough she could waive into CO)
Did you end up getting an extension? I'm a recent admit and my deadline is Friday, and I'm about to send an email inquiring about scholarship and asking for an extension.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:15 pm

hadisious wrote: Did you end up getting an extension? I'm a recent admit and my deadline is Friday, and I'm about to send an email inquiring about scholarship and asking for an extension.
No reply yet. So no? Maybe? Who knows.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”